Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

How's this?

genesis_riding_3.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Night scenes. Yep. Only downside is that it's so dark at night time..

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

Both renders are nice. One can still see their faces. :)

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

A couple of stillrenders from a musicvideo/shortmovie I´ve been working on for some time, it´s an attemt to picture an existing band which I happen

to be in (that´s me at the organ lol). I tried to go for a "realistic" look, which is why I haven´t been able to finish it yet as the rendering process occupies my

work computer. All animation is pretty much done by now so hopefully I get the time to finish it in the near futurefrown

I need a render farm!

A female singer, interesting =)

Just how much time did the animation process alone take? I imagine it must've been rather tedious, fingering and all...

Yeah trust me. she sings like an angel:)

I gave up many times along the way haha, running into all kinds of trouble, for example the organ is not fully rigged, only the white keys are posable,

luckily the song is in f minor so using a lot of whites. And I tried to make some morphs for the guitar/bass strings with little success so had to give up on that.

The animation part took about 6 months, working when I had the time. Still some things to do though. A lot of copying/moving keyframes in Keymate/Graphmate, then rendering

tests in OpenGL, then back to keymate.

The characters are dialed in Genesis 1, took about a month to finish them using only reference photos and live video footage.

More like a blues angel or a symphonic angel? =)

Oh my, yeah you got lucky with the key =) In theory, deformers could work on the strings, but then I never tried animating deformers...

Five dialed likenesses in a month, wow that's quite fast =)

Speaking of nighttime scenes, and, well, not only about them, - an image works best when it works great as a grayscale. Traditional artists call these gray levels "values". Values are important when you design your composition. Here are three links explaining this better - they're aimed at traditional artists, but it shouldn't be difficult to apply this idea to 3D.

http://thevirtualinstructor.com/Value.html

https://feltmagnet.com/painting/Value-does-all-the-work-Color-gets-the-credit

http://emptyeasel.com/2008/12/09/two-reasons-why-values-lights-and-darks-are-so-important-in-paintings/

And there's this great tutorial on composition by Chanteur-de-Vent, she mentions this only briefly but has a 3D example (and there are lots of useful examples overall)

https://chanteur-de-vent.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-composition-671012694

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Liana said:

Just some renders I have been working for various reasons. :)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/0b/e6416eabbc15106089dd70eef4964c.png

Lovely colors/lightning in this one, well done Liana!

hacsart said:

How's this?

I first looked at this for a while and thought yeah nice posing and environment but there's something odd about it:)

Then it struck me: so they are standing in the shadows of the trees but still bathing in sunlight lol.

Kind of like that surreal feeling about it:)

What's that environment? Did you use a shadowcatcher or is it real geometry? It's beautiful!

mori_mann said:

I like his expression, it's like mission completed, what's next? Still some sadness as well. (Maybe he did some terrible things in there).

Kind of agree with Liana, you can see what's going on, but maybe a blueish tint to the ?moonlight would enhance the night feel?

A couple of stillrenders from a musicvideo/shortmovie I´ve been working on for some time, it´s an attemt to picture an existing band which I happen

to be in (that´s me at the organ lol). I tried to go for a "realistic" look, which is why I haven´t been able to finish it yet as the rendering process occupies my

work computer. All animation is pretty much done by now so hopefully I get the time to finish it in the near futurefrown

I need a render farm!

A female singer, interesting =)

Just how much time did the animation process alone take? I imagine it must've been rather tedious, fingering and all...

Yeah trust me. she sings like an angel:)

I gave up many times along the way haha, running into all kinds of trouble, for example the organ is not fully rigged, only the white keys are posable,

luckily the song is in f minor so using a lot of whites. And I tried to make some morphs for the guitar/bass strings with little success so had to give up on that.

The animation part took about 6 months, working when I had the time. Still some things to do though. A lot of copying/moving keyframes in Keymate/Graphmate, then rendering

tests in OpenGL, then back to keymate.

The characters are dialed in Genesis 1, took about a month to finish them using only reference photos and live video footage.

More like a blues angel or a symphonic angel? =)

Oh my, yeah you got lucky with the key =) In theory, deformers could work on the strings, but then I never tried animating deformers...

Five dialed likenesses in a month, wow that's quite fast =)

Oh more like a soul mama singing a 200 years old traditional folk song, if that makes sense hehe.

And I remember dreaming about their faces at the time, was pretty manicfrown

edited October 2017

Lovely colors/lightning in this one, well done Liana!

@ Sven Dullah Thanks! I worked a bit harder on the horses than I have the others. :)

The deer one I have had difficulty finding a background that works, so it is wip really yet. I am at a road block there for the time being.

I was working on a demin texture for my partner (for a project he is working on) and decided to use them on the coveralls, so I just threw her in a scene (not perfect) to see how they rendered out. I have like 5 different coverall textures and I decided to work on leather ones for her boots too. I have not done textures from scratch in a long time.:)

I did render them all in 3Delight. I figured I would share here.

Post edited by Liana on

Speaking of nighttime scenes, and, well, not only about them, - an image works best when it works great as a grayscale. Traditional artists call these gray levels "values". Values are important when you design your composition. Here are three links explaining this better - they're aimed at traditional artists, but it shouldn't be difficult to apply this idea to 3D.

http://thevirtualinstructor.com/Value.html

https://feltmagnet.com/painting/Value-does-all-the-work-Color-gets-the-credit

http://emptyeasel.com/2008/12/09/two-reasons-why-values-lights-and-darks-are-so-important-in-paintings/

And there's this great tutorial on composition by Chanteur-de-Vent, she mentions this only briefly but has a 3D example (and there are lots of useful examples overall)

https://chanteur-de-vent.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-composition-671012694

@Mustakettu85  Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about doing some Halloween scenes and that info might come in handy. :)

Liana said:

I was working on a demin texture for my partner (for a project he is working on) and decided to use them on the coveralls, so I just threw her in a scene (not perfect) to see how they rendered out. I have like 5 different coverall textures and I decided to work on leather ones for her boots too. I have not done textures from scratch in a long time.:)

I did render them all in 3Delight. I figured I would share here.

Oh I see, nice work, they look really good!

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    mori_mann said:

I like his expression, it's like mission completed, what's next? Still some sadness as well. (Maybe he did some terrible things in there).

Kind of agree with Liana, you can see what's going on, but maybe a blueish tint to the ?moonlight would enhance the night feel?

Ah, but the rogue trying to get in there chose an overcast night for the job, so I actually made it less blue and more gray for that purpose ;) But yes, it would give the scene a more moonlit feel. It could have been darker, too, but then it would not have been possible to see anything at all.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667
    hacsart said:

How's this?

I just love it!!

So fox hunt feel to it!!

edited October 2017

Father and son spending quality time?

POOL GAME 1.png
    1800 x 1013 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited October 2017

POOL GAME 2.png
    1800 x 1013 - 2M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...wow, love the motion blur,  How long did that take to render?  The last time I used it (5 frames) the render process took sixteen and a half hours and I used an HDRI for the setting instead of meshes.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Father and son spending quality time?

That is my kinda quality time to spend with your Dad.

Nice render Sven!!

kyoto kid said:

...wow, love the motion blur,  How long did that take to render?  The last time I used it (5 frames) the render process took sixteen and a half hours and I used an HDRI for the setting instead of meshes.

Thanks Kyoto! Oh it was not so bad, about 2h, set the motion blur samples to 3 and the amount was at 50%. How come your render took so long?

I've noticed a slight delay before the render starts and a little slowdown when calculating the blur but nothing one couldn't live with really.

Maybe you used a lot of reflections/refractions?

That is my kinda quality time to spend with your Dad.

Nice render Sven!!

Thank you Saphire! Much appreciated!

Oh more like a soul mama singing a 200 years old traditional folk song, if that makes sense hehe.

And I remember dreaming about their faces at the time, was pretty manicfrown

In a way, it makes perfect sense - I guess you mean folk from the English-speaking world, right? =)

Hopefully you'll be able to share a link when you finish the video eventually =)
    edited October 2017
    kyoto kid said:

Thanks Kyoto! Oh it was not so bad, about 2h, set the motion blur samples to 3 and the amount was at 50%. How come your render took so long?

I've noticed a slight delay before the render starts and a little slowdown when calculating the blur but nothing one couldn't live with really.

...not sure though as I mentioned I did use an HDRI which employs UE so that was probably the reason.

Never really cared for UE very much because it is such a resoruce hog which is why I was so pleased when AoA came out with the advanced lights. I had one scene which rendered in about 40 minutes with the AoA lights that I projected wold have taken at least 25 hours with UE based on only 2% of the process being complete after 30 min and it was no where near the really tough to render parts of the scene like the characters' hair. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

...not sure though as I mentioned I did use an HDRI which employs UE so that was probably the reason.

Never really cared for UE very much because it is such a resoruce hog which is why I was so pleased when AoA came out with the advanced lights. I had one scene which rendered in about 40 minutes with the AoA lights that I projected wold have taken at least 25 hours with UE based on only 2% of the process being complete after 30 min and it was no where near the really tough to render parts of the scene like the characters' hair. 

Ok believe it or not but this one took a week to render on my laptop, I used the UE bouncelight in progressive mode and after 7 days I

cancelled the render, it was at maybe 92%laugh.

The laptop nearly went to computer heaven but is still hanging in there although the fan has some really bad noise the first minutes after I boot it up:)

Glassman.png
    1151 x 630 - 1M

Ok believe it or not but this one took a week to render on my laptop, I used the UE bouncelight in progressive mode and after 7 days I

Refractive material not excluded from GI, and probably with raytrace depth set way high to get all the refractions? Yeah, that's bound to happen when you use the vanilla interface - since it does not let you set the spec and diffuse bounces separately. So diffuse bounces are always too high.

What exactly did you want to achieve with bounce on a scene that hardly has anything for light to bounce off, though? =)

Refractive material not excluded from GI, and probably with raytrace depth set way high to get all the refractions? Yeah, that's bound to happen when you use the vanilla interface - since it does not let you set the spec and diffuse bounces separately. So diffuse bounces are always too high.

What exactly did you want to achieve with bounce on a scene that hardly has anything for light to bounce off, though? =)

Yeah good question! It's a couple of years old and I didn't really know what I was doing (even less than now). Just wanted to run a test as long as I was occupied at work and I

finally realized that the missing 8 % will take at least another week to complete haha. Today I'll probably get the same result in a couple of hours. Oh well, trial and error,

that's how I make progressblush.

edited October 2017

In a way, it makes perfect sense - I guess you mean folk from the English-speaking world, right? =)

Hopefully you'll be able to share a link when you finish the video eventually =)

Ok I'll throw my cards on the table here. I live in Finland and belong to the very small Swedish speaking minority (There are about 300 000 of us) so the song

is an old traditional song in Swedish (the kind of Swedish we speak is pretty far from what you hear if you go to Sweden), so it's a cultural thing, you know,

roots and culture. That is why there is a chance to get it to play on nationwide TV which would be kind of nice. The biggest problem right now is to decide

how to render it in HD in a reasonable amount of time. The fog that looks so nice on the stills really makes it a struggle, might have to make some compromises and leave it out:(

And hopefully I can share something over here soon, fingers crossed:-)

edited October 2017
    kyoto kid said:

AoA lights I could not do without! This scene took 18 minutes to render using AoA distant + ambient:

The forground characters are lo rez figures, I just had to try them out, subD level 2 lol

A City Scene AoA pp.png
    1800 x 1012 - 3M
    edited October 2017

The pool game continues:

Poolgame 4pp.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M

...nice break.

edited October 2017

Ok I'll throw my cards on the table here. I live in Finland and belong to the very small Swedish speaking minority (There are about 300 000 of us) so the song

is an old traditional song in Swedish (the kind of Swedish we speak is pretty far from what you hear if you go to Sweden), so it's a cultural thing, you know,

roots and culture. That is why there is a chance to get it to play on nationwide TV which would be kind of nice. The biggest problem right now is to decide

how to render it in HD in a reasonable amount of time. The fog that looks so nice on the stills really makes it a struggle, might have to make some compromises and leave it out:(

And hopefully I can share something over here soon, fingers crossed:-)

Ok so I had a look at my video project last night and made a couple of testrenders in HD (720). With the current lights, the fog and motion blur and 30fps it will take 80 days to render out.

cryingsurpriseangrylaugh

So i guess I will have to redo the light setup first, skip motion blur, find a nice cheat for the fog and make some changes to some  camera angles for starters.

Maybe skip the AoA ambient light too?

Is it possible to flag the dz shader lights (or anything else) in some way?

Rendering takes longer in progressive mode funnily enough, not by much, the difference is about 10-15 sec/frame. And the AoA spotlights require a shading rate of min 0.2 to look good.

If you good people of these forums happen to have some helpful hints please share! I could use a little help herewink

Render settings used: Raytrace depht 2, pixel samples 5x5, shading rate 0.2

I used the AoA Easy Volume fog cam, fog quality 50%

The band

This discussion has been closed.