Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

..nice, where did you find the organ?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

timeskeep-bundle

It's kind of cool, I remade the mats though, and only the whites are rigged.

The band frontcam

...hmm I have that set.

Would love to see someone come out with both an accurate B-3 (including Leslie cabinet) and classic pipe organ.  Of course still waiting on an accurate 9' concert grand piano with a fully modelled frame and strings.

Agreed, would be an instant buy!

edited October 2017

M4/AoA render:

City scene AoA 2pp.png
    1800 x 1012 - 3M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    I live in Finland and belong to the very small Swedish speaking minority (There are about 300 000 of us) so the song is an old traditional song in Swedish (the kind of Swedish we speak is pretty far from what you hear if you go to Sweden), so it's a cultural thing, you know, roots and culture.

Ah, finlandssvenskar, I see now =) I've always envied the way Northern European countries seem to combine folk traditions and technological progress.

Maybe skip the AoA ambient light too?

Is it possible to flag the dz shader lights (or anything else) in some way?

Hard to say, AoA Ambient is just occlusion, it should be pretty fast.

Flag, you mean so that they don't contribute to the fog? Have you tried the "flag by intensity percent" setting? You can set the intensity sliders the same to get them picked up by the fog and use intensity scale to vary their actual intensities.

Rendering takes longer in progressive mode funnily enough, not by much, the difference is about 10-15 sec/frame.

That's because you cannot turn down the volumetric quality in the raytracer - it's ignored and always rendered at the highest.

Render settings used: Raytrace depht 2, pixel samples 5x5, shading rate 0.2

Since you're using AO and not bounce, you could try a raytrace depth of 1 and see if you get any difference in how reflections look. Unless they reflect each other, shouldn't look that different. Not sure ray depth doesn't get pruned internally for occlusion-only lights, but in case it doesn't, it may help in theory.

See if you could deal with 4x4 pixel samples. This will definitely shave off some render time.

I live in Finland and belong to the very small Swedish speaking minority (There are about 300 000 of us) so the song is an old traditional song in Swedish (the kind of Swedish we speak is pretty far from what you hear if you go to Sweden), so it's a cultural thing, you know, roots and culture.

Ah, finlandssvenskar, I see now =) I've always envied the way Northern European countries seem to combine folk traditions and technological progress.

I've wondered why you have a Finnish user name, but then again you are apparently not that far away from where I live.

Any Finnish connections?

Maybe skip the AoA ambient light too?

Is it possible to flag the dz shader lights (or anything else) in some way?

Hard to say, AoA Ambient is just occlusion, it should be pretty fast.

Flag, you mean so that they don't contribute to the fog? Have you tried the "flag by intensity percent" setting? You can set the intensity sliders the same to get them picked up by the fog and use intensity scale to vary their actual intensities.

Yep I've flagged the front (AoA) spots so only they trig the fog effect, thanks for the tip on intensity scale but I don't think they have that option so have to use color maybe to change the intensity?

Dz shader spotlights have intensity scale and you can set the shadowsamples for each light but you can't for example exclude hair from having shadows or use less shadowsamples I think?

Rendering takes longer in progressive mode funnily enough, not by much, the difference is about 10-15 sec/frame.

That's because you cannot turn down the volumetric quality in the raytracer - it's ignored and always rendered at the highest.

Aah now I see, thanks for the clarification!

Render settings used: Raytrace depht 2, pixel samples 5x5, shading rate 0.2

Since you're using AO and not bounce, you could try a raytrace depth of 1 and see if you get any difference in how reflections look. Unless they reflect each other, shouldn't look that different. Not sure ray depth doesn't get pruned internally for occlusion-only lights, but in case it doesn't, it may help in theory.

See if you could deal with 4x4 pixel samples. This will definitely shave off some render time.

Nah the drum set doesn't look good at all with raytrace set to 1 unfortunally, 2 seems to be the minimum. And DOF doesn't look so good with 4x4 pixel samples if you have a lot of it, but yeah

that will work for most part I guess.

I'll try to swap the AoA spots with the shaderlights, maybe I could use a higher shading rate with them without getting jagged shadows etc.

Thanks for the input, still a looong way home but eventually I will get there:-)

Not all of it is "live footage", I'm thinking of using some simpler environments maybe in B&W or sepia, I think it could work really well for some parts.

edited October 2017

Right, I made a couple of test renders from my animation project in 720p resolution. Still using the AoA spots and ambient but fiddled with shadow sample settings and

render settings and could reduce rendertimes by maybe 30%. The first three took 7-9 min. with raytrace depth 2, 5x5 pixel samples,  shading rate 0.2, fog quality at 40% and motion blur samples 3.

This is good news for me.

But as you can see the DOF doesn't look that good in nr 2 and 3. I don't know, maybe it doesn't matter for animation but I definitely don't like it for stills.

On the last one I set pixel samples to 8x8 and that looks a lot better IMO.

Oh and I also set the ambient light to ignore all hair instead of using alternative samples, so had to add some ambient to all hair surfaces to compensate. I think that works ok.

The Band AoA test 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    The Band AoA test 2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    The Band AoA test 3.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    The Band AoA test 4.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

Any Finnish connections?

Almost: one of my grandmothers is Karelian, and she used to speak their dialect of Finnish as a kid. She's gotten way rusty over the years so she couldn't teach me much when I wanted to reconnect with that side of my bloodlines, so I settled for studying "classical" Finnish. :)

Yep I've flagged the front (AoA) spots so only they trig the fog effect, thanks for the tip on intensity scale but I don't think they have that option so have to use color maybe to change the intensity?

Dz shader spotlights have intensity scale and you can set the shadowsamples for each light but you can't for example exclude hair from having shadows or use less shadowsamples I think?

Colour could work, yup.

You cannot do the hair optimisations with dzLights, but if you're using progressive, shadows on hair shouldn't be much of a problem. Just make sure hair is excluded from AO via UberSurface.

And then you can also optimise the transmaps the hair models use to make the bulk not medium-transparent gray but white. May require some playing with curves and/or repainting, but in the long run it's possible to have it look almost exactly the same (especially in animation) but render noticeably faster. This really works :)

I'll try to swap the AoA spots with the shaderlights, maybe I could use a higher shading rate with them without getting jagged shadows etc.

When you're using progressive, shading rate doesn't count at all, so you could try two light sets - AoA  vs dzLights, with and without progressive - and see which combination gets you there faster.

Thanks for the input, still a looong way home but eventually I will get there:-)

Not all of it is "live footage", I'm thinking of using some simpler environments maybe in B&W or sepia, I think it could work really well for some parts.

You're welcome!

What you could also do, if your compositing program is flexible enough, is render the fog pass out separately, with all the surfaces turned off so that they're black. Then you could add or screen the fog pass on top of a "normal" render (without fog).

Any Finnish connections?

Almost: one of my grandmothers is Karelian, and she used to speak their dialect of Finnish as a kid. She's gotten way rusty over the years so she couldn't teach me much when I wanted to reconnect with that side of my bloodlines, so I settled for studying "classical" Finnish. :)

Wow, I'm impressed:)

Colour could work, yup.

You cannot do the hair optimisations with dzLights, but if you're using progressive, shadows on hair shouldn't be much of a problem. Just make sure hair is excluded from AO via UberSurface.

And then you can also optimise the transmaps the hair models use to make the bulk not medium-transparent gray but white. May require some playing with curves and/or repainting, but in the long run it's possible to have it look almost exactly the same (especially in animation) but render noticeably faster. This really works :)

When you're using progressive, shading rate doesn't count at all, so you could try two light sets - AoA  vs dzLights, with and without progressive - and see which combination gets you there faster.

I decided to stick with AoA lights, after I made some adjustments I feel I got things working.

You're welcome!

What you could also do, if your compositing program is flexible enough, is render the fog pass out separately, with all the surfaces turned off so that they're black. Then you could add or screen the fog pass on top of a "normal" render (without fog).

Yep but that would also take time to do, so I do it in one pass. With fog quality at 40% it's working ok although a little grainy.

Looks like dust to me;)

The first 8 seconds are rendering now, if I'm happy with the result I keep going, if not I'll reconsider!

If I don't feel too embarrassed about it I might share it here to get some feedback.

Yep but that would also take time to do, so I do it in one pass. With fog quality at 40% it's working ok although a little grainy.

Looks like dust to me;)

Yeah, some noise could well pass for dust in an animation.

edited October 2017

Hmm, I decided to work some more on lightning and surfaces. Managed to reduce rendertimes so I could increase fog quality to 80% to get rid of most of the noise:)

These  new pictures all rendered under 6 minutes so I'm quite pleased. Still no guitar straps though, I downloaded the mcjstrap but haven't even tried it yet.

I fear the posing will take forever so I have to think about that for a while (and hopefully find a simpler way).

Armadis Rama 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Armadis Rama 2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Armadis Rama 3.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Armadis Rama 4.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Armadis Rama 5.png
    1280 x 720 - 937K
    edited October 2017

Ok so I tried out the guitar strap. Had to start by scaling it up by 300%, it was way short. Parented it to the guitar and started posing the 16 bones one by one.

3 hours later... still no cigar, I think I could make it look good for a still render but no way I can use it for a 4,5 min animation on two guitars laaaawd have mercyfrown.

It's like starting all over with the animating, just can't take it right now lol. Got to find another solution real quickindecision.

Armadis Rama 7.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

The stills look great =)

It's like starting all over with the animating, just can't take it right now lol. Got to find another solution real quickindecision.

...taking a copy of the scene into the current beta and trying a dForce sim on the strap?

The stills look great =)

TY!

...taking a copy of the scene into the current beta and trying a dForce sim on the strap?

Hmm, I've followed some of the dForce threads but I've not seen any mentioning about how it works for animation.

Thanks, have to dig into that!

Another thought is to use two straps, parent them to the guitar and hide the bones not shown in camera. That would require

less posing possibly.

Right, now I atleast seem to have a couple of options, feels better already:)

It should :) There are some animations in the thread... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203201/daz-3d-introduces-dforce-physics-engine

Two straps might also work, though will need careful monitoring to catch the gap potentially showing.

edited October 2017

I had a new go at the guitar strap, think I found a way to get it to work by creating a few poses for it, converting it to SubD and applying a smoothing modifier with

collision set to the shirt, it seems to work pretty well actually. I've done a 25 sec testrender and it looks good so far.

Bassplayer is next in line:-)

Armadis Rama 17.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Armadis Rama 16.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Armadis Rama 15.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • nattaruknattaruk Posts: 532
    edited October 2017

Title: Departing

3Delight render with post work in the Gimp.

Post edited by nattaruk on
    nattaruk said:

Title: Departing

3Delight render with post work in the Gimp.

Nice!! Love her expression;)

I had a new go at the guitar strap, think I found a way to get it to work by creating a few poses for it, converting it to SubD and applying a smoothing modifier with collision set to the shirt, it seems to work pretty well actually. I've done a 25 sec testrender and it looks good so far.

That's great to hear :)

edited November 2017

Guitar straps are a real pain, and if your guitarist has wings......

FireBlooD usually perform with a dancing dragon but in old venues of historic interest which are both too small and too restrictive in terms of fire safety they employ the fairy Goldberry as a stand in. Here's a reworked render that I first did for Lola Lane's render a month.

Title: Pretend You Are a Dragon (v2)

pretend you are dragon.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M
    nattaruk said:

FireBlooD usually perform with a dancing dragon but in old venues of historic interest which are both too small and too restrictive in terms of fire safety they employ the fairy Goldberry as a stand in. Here's a reworked render that I first did for Lola Lane's render a month.

Hehe that's brilliant, yeah I can see the combination of an excited dragon and that backdrop ending in disasterXD.

nattaruk said:

...sweet. Nice lighting.

• nattaruk said:

Amazing =)

That dragon shadow is lovely - did you have a (phantom) dragon in there or did you add it in post?

And Merlin is totally the sort of dude to run an amp business.

edited November 2017

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

There is in fact a fantom dragon in the scene. I don't have the greatest postwork skills and, once I'd found out about the 'fantom' option, it seemed the easier way of going about things. What postwork there is consists of using the Gimp's levels and curves. I also used edge detection to make a line drawing which is overlayed with the opacity at about 50%.

Here's a crude work in progress of the band in action during their 'Wake The Dead' tour, where you can see why some stage managers might have reservations about hosting their show!

fireblood wtd r.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M

Lol the line array soundsystem looks pretty impressivecool

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656

I had a new go at the guitar strap, think I found a way to get it to work by creating a few poses for it, converting it to SubD and applying a smoothing modifier with

Just saw you were trying out guitar straps. There are three different ones on this page: https://sites.google.com/site/mdp6gdl/

DollyGirl said:

Just saw you were trying out guitar straps. There are three different ones on this page: https://sites.google.com/site/mdp6gdl/

Tks DollyGirl, will check outyes

• nattaruk said:

There is in fact a fantom dragon in the scene. I don't have the greatest postwork skills and, once I'd found out about the 'fantom' option, it seemed the easier way of going about things. What postwork there is consists of using the Gimp's levels and curves. I also used edge detection to make a line drawing which is overlayed with the opacity at about 50%.

Here's a crude work in progress of the band in action during their 'Wake The Dead' tour, where you can see why some stage managers might have reservations about hosting their show!

LOL I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of that promoter... unless they manage to deduct the damage fees from the band's money. =)

Wake the Dead, so the band played a special tour for the dead, or did the audience turn (un)dead accidentally because of the stageshow? =)

edited November 2017
    nattaruk said:

LOL I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of that promoter... unless they manage to deduct the damage fees from the band's money. =)

Wake the Dead, so the band played a special tour for the dead, or did the audience turn (un)dead accidentally because of the stageshow? =)

The Wake the Dead* tour is a special tour for the dead, the band played at various necropolises, cemetaries and, once they had employed Anubis as tour manager, whichever underworlds would risk letting them in...

*from the idiom 'loud enough to wake the dead'

This discussion has been closed.