Daz Studio 4.22[.0.x] Pro, General Release!

Comments

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited March 6

I have been having all kinds of problems with the latest update, both of this and the Public Build.  These include long loading times, error messages in saving and profoundly long deleting of scenes, Errors in saving subsets and poses.  The prior 4.22 release worked fine, but I unfortunately didn't save that one.  I did have a previous version of Public Build 4.22 which works for me, and 4.21.  I reloaded both of those.  This latest release is a train wreck.. 

Post edited by areg5 on
  • DamselDamsel Posts: 377

And what is the thing with not letting us roll back?

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135

I ran my test by loading up a scene in the beta and working with it as normal.  I haven't tested just leaving Studio idle with no scene

Thank you sir. It just made things much weird than I thought. What I can recall updated together with the main programs (prod & beta) was measure metric...May I ask do you have it?

I do have it, and it looks like it's not installed on the Beta

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

Damsel said:

And what is the thing with not letting us roll back?

There are some hoops to jump through.  The latest version has to be uninstalled and deleted.  I then loaded 4.21.  I had to uninstall it, and install it again, and it took.. I used DIM, offline.  I always save the latest working version typically in case of this sort of issue, but I thought as the first release of 4.22 worked well, I would just update it... to my regret.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,112

dragotx said:

I wouldn't recommend that - some, such as GoZ and (I think) the Photoshop Bridge may be isntalled in only one channel, others may require additional support settings that would not be copied, and some third-party plug-ins may simply not work in the beta. You would also overwite the working Daz-own brand plug-ins for the beta with the ones from the General Reelase, which would not work, unles you then reisntalled those.

Ah, good points.  Let me know if there's anything y'all need me to help test with, I'll leave everything as is for now

You can disable the non-core plug-ins with http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start , then restart Daz Studio. if that fixes the issue you can go to Help>About Installed plug-ins, reenable (check) a plug-in, and restart to see if that has any effect until you hit the issue again (or reenable in batches and then if that triggers the issue try disabling them all and reenabling until the issue recurs). If the issue persists with the non-core plug-ins yanked then that would sugest it is DS or a some kind of system tool/utility..

hellmasters said:

dragotx said:

hellmasters said:

dragotx said:

Ok, fresh update that may or may not be relevant.  I installed the Beta yesterday afternoon and left it running over night, and the issue with the Release version still has not appeared.  So whatever is causing this issue is with the release version only

Gentleman, I don't think it was a right way to test. When you're running a program, have you load a scene or just left the viewport empty? 

I just experienced the same issue on both production (4.22.0.16) and public beta (4.22.1.88). I was working on both programs running with different scenes side by side simultaneously. They both ended up frozen completely and I have to kill both processes though task manager.

I ran my test by loading up a scene in the beta and working with it as normal.  I haven't tested just leaving Studio idle with no scene

Thank you sir. It just made things much weird than I thought. What I can recall updated together with the main programs (prod & beta) was measure metric...May I ask do you have it?

All of the Daz plug-ins get recompiled with each build, but Measure Metrics has not actually changed for a long time.

Damsel said:

Nothing is damn rendering on either the public build or the General build. I made the appareantly fatal error of undating Nvidia's driver, and now I'm evidently screwed. This is lovely. I have a Nvidia GEFORCE RTX 3060 and  I'm  on Windows 10_64. One of my monitors appearently died, so I swapped it out for another one, but IRAY won't even give me a view any more, much less render.

You can always roll back to an older driver if the new one has issuse (as some were reporting, though I don't know if there has been an update since). The minimum is noted in the release thread, the new version highlights thread, and the Iray changes thread. Do choose the clean install option in the driver installer.

areg5 said:

I have been having all kinds of problems with the latest update, both of this and the Public Build.  These include long loading times, error messages in saving and profoundly long deleting of scenes, Errors in saving subsets and poses.  The prior 4.22 release worked fine, but I unfortunately didn't save that one.  I did have a previous version of Public Build 4.22 which works for me, and 4.21.  I reloaded both of those.  This latest release is a train wreck.. 

There is obviously something going on, but we don't yet know what it is - different people are clearly having different experiences, which at least strongly suggests it isn't an issue with DS alone but some add-on or interaction.

• hellmastershellmasters Posts: 17
    edited March 6

I don't know if it is a good news or not.

I disabled one particular plug-in on both prod & beta. Now prod is working very well as usual for the past 6 hours. I don't know if it was the root cause but I'll continue to check.

Ahhh...

I was too optimistic about it. It still crashed after 3 hours just not completely for the renderring window. Error log was the same as usual.

2024-03-07 01:39:43.613 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 04923 iterations after 235.853 s.
    2024-03-07 01:39:44.593 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 04941 iterations after 236.833 s.
    2024-03-07 01:39:45.564 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 04959 iterations after 237.804 s.
    2024-03-07 01:39:46.525 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 04977 iterations after 238.765 s.
    2024-03-07 01:39:47.498 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 04995 iterations after 239.738 s.
    2024-03-07 01:39:47.900 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 05000 iterations after 240.140 s.
    2024-03-07 01:39:47.900 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Maximum number of samples reached.
    2024-03-07 02:58:19.503 [ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)
    2024-03-07 02:58:20.539 [ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)
    2024-03-07 02:58:22.523 [ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)
    2024-03-07 02:58:23.552 [ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)
    2024-03-07 02:58:24.514 [ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)

Post edited by hellmasters on
  • DamselDamsel Posts: 377

I needed to uninstall the drivers and reinstall Nvidia studio. That seems to have fixed it.

Richard Haseltine said:

dragotx said:

I wouldn't recommend that - some, such as GoZ and (I think) the Photoshop Bridge may be isntalled in only one channel, others may require additional support settings that would not be copied, and some third-party plug-ins may simply not work in the beta. You would also overwite the working Daz-own brand plug-ins for the beta with the ones from the General Reelase, which would not work, unles you then reisntalled those.

Ah, good points.  Let me know if there's anything y'all need me to help test with, I'll leave everything as is for now

You can disable the non-core plug-ins with http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start , then restart Daz Studio. if that fixes the issue you can go to Help>About Installed plug-ins, reenable (check) a plug-in, and restart to see if that has any effect until you hit the issue again (or reenable in batches and then if that triggers the issue try disabling them all and reenabling until the issue recurs). If the issue persists with the non-core plug-ins yanked then that would sugest it is DS or a some kind of system tool/utility..

Ok, I've got them all disabled and am testing now, I'll update when I get some results

With all plugins disable, Studio appears to work correctly for me.  Going through the list a few at a time now too see if I can figure out which one.  But it's going to take time since I have to wait a couple of hours to see if it borks itself again.

dragotx said:

With all plugins disable, Studio appears to work correctly for me.  Going through the list a few at a time now too see if I can figure out which one.  But it's going to take time since I have to wait a couple of hours to see if it borks itself again.

If you post the list people who are not affected could say which ones theya lso have, which are probably safe and could be tested as a batch, and that may leave a fairly short list that hopefully others who are affected would confirm they had.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,416

Richard's suggestion is a good idea. Pls do post a list ~

Here is the list of my addons

Plugins 1.png
    452 x 1186 - 61K
    plugins 2.png
    356 x 823 - 28K
    edited March 7

I don't have Billboard Node, C66 Graphics, Foliage Maker, graphMake, keyMake, HEAT, SimTenero, UltraScenery... both latest DS versions work fine on my side.

Or, you can just simply adopt an "exclusive method" that I used to use. Activating all plugins first, close DS. Move all DLL files from the path: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins (as well as the DLL files in sub-folders if there's any...) to another folder. Then, sort the files by File Names in File Browser, move half of DLL files, alphabetically, to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins, launch DS and test. If nothing is wrong, close DS, move half of the rest DLL files, launch DS and test... till you reproudce the issue from a certain batch of DLL files. Then do the same with that batch of DLL files in the same way...

Let's say you have around 120 plugins, with this way, it may just take around 10 minutes to find out the culprit(s).

Post edited by crosswind on
  • 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 678

crosswind said:

Let's say you have around 120 plugins, with this way, it may just take around 10 minutes to find out the culprit(s).

the idea is great, but still not ten minutes, because the error comes after 30-40-60 minutes later mostly when DS was idle for a longer period. So have to wait. For example I just opened DS and after had to go  ... and 35 minutes later popup windows was not responsible. Like save as .... and similar ones. I don't even loaded anything into the scene only an empty scene ... I noticed any error mostly after DS was idle ...
    I am curious it is really a plugin or what. I just updated NVIDIA driver and after got this same error, so it wasn't the driver.
    The half of plugins system sounds great .. if I will have time, will try it :)

3D-GHDesign said:

crosswind said:

the idea is great, but still not ten minutes, because the error comes after 30-40-60 minutes later mostly when DS was idle for a longer period. So have to wait. For example I just opened DS and after had to go  ... and 35 minutes later popup windows was not responsible. Like save as .... and similar ones. I don't even loaded anything into the scene only an empty scene ... I noticed any error mostly after DS was idle ...
    I am curious it is really a plugin or what. I just updated NVIDIA driver and after got this same error, so it wasn't the driver.
    The half of plugins system sounds great .. if I will have time, will try it :)

Ahhh ~~~, I'm sorry ! I forgot the "timing prerequisite" of the issue... haha~   OK, I cannot think of any other better approach but there's no harm to try it, yeah ~~blush

So far I've made it to the Face Transfer plugins on my list, testing that batch right now.  So far I haven't run into the issue.

crosswind said:

I don't have Billboard Node, C66 Graphics, Foliage Maker, graphMake, keyMake, HEAT, SimTenero, UltraScenery... both latest DS versions work fine on my side.

Or, you can just simply adopt an "exclusive method" that I used to use. Activating all plugins first, close DS. Move all DLL files from the path: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins (as well as the DLL files in sub-folders if there's any...) to another folder. Then, sort the files by File Names in File Browser, move half of DLL files, alphabetically, to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins, launch DS and test. If nothing is wrong, close DS, move half of the rest DLL files, launch DS and test... till you reproudce the issue from a certain batch of DLL files. Then do the same with that batch of DLL files in the same way...

No need for cut-and-paste - the script I linked above will disable the non-Daz plug-ins, then they can be reenabled in help>About Installed Plug-ins in any number or order desired.

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

No need for cut-and-paste - the script I linked above will disable the non-Daz plug-ins, then they can be reenabled in help>About Installed Plug-ins in any number or order desired.

Yeah, I know that... Only with About Installed Plug-ins dialogue, there's no way to multiple select and activate them, so I chose this way at that time for trouble-shooting. blush

crosswind said:

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

Yeah, I know that... Only with About Installed Plug-ins dialogue, there's no way to multiple select and activate them, so I chose this way at that time for trouble-shooting. blush

Well, you can use the keyboard - arrow to move the selection, spacebar to toggle.

Still testing, down to just Measure Metrics and Heat now

• neomanneoman Posts: 54

dragotx said:

Thank you for working on this... I wish Daz would take it seriously... Doesn't seem to be a priority to them that their update has major issues.

neoman said:

dragotx said:

Thank you for working on this... I wish Daz would take it seriously... Doesn't seem to be a priority to them that their update has major issues.

Just because you don't see them working on it doesn't mean they're not.  And with how random this appears to be, they may not be able to test it themselves.  If it doesn't hit any of their machines, it'll be virtually impossible to test it.  I have studio installed on 3 of my personal machines, and my main rig is the only one that has the issue.

• neomanneoman Posts: 54
    edited March 8

I follow several YouTube channels on Daz Studio and the problem does seem to be random, but not uncommon.  A lot of users are affected by this and there is a lot of frustration that Daz puts out updates that are unreliable.

Post edited by neoman on
  • protosyntheticprotosynthetic Posts: 70
    edited March 8

Now that I think of it, Heat would make sense. Because that was about the time Daz started borking, it had worked fine up until that point. I'm reinstalling the newer one and deleting Heat and seeing if there's a change.

Edit: gave it just under two and a half hours in with scene loaded, and all is well. Library scrolls smoothly, and a slow library would be the first sign after about a half hour. Reinstalled Heat to see if there's a difference. I'll leave this open and update later.

Edit 2: Heat has been installed for about an hour, the library is stuttering and task manager lists energy use as very high. Interestingly, nothing has been added to the log since I loaded the scene. - after an hour and a half, it became unusable. Now uninstalling Heat again.

So much sweet irony if it turns out that heat is what's causing the freeze. laugh

Post edited by protosynthetic on
  • I can replicate the issue by loading Daz up, creating a primitive in the scene and just leave it sitting there. After a few hours, Daz starts to lose functionality, menus stop responding, tools start disappearing, sliders become unresponsive, and after 4-5 hours, Daz simply crashes. No iRay preview, renders, or anything, apart from the odd translation of the primitive to see how Daz is responding.

• HallbjornHallbjorn Posts: 0

I have uninstalled "Heat" and my Daz Studio installation is back to normal. I'm still testing, but it's been working for quite some time and, so far, so good.

• Hallbjorn said:

I have uninstalled "Heat" and my Daz Studio installation is back to normal. I'm still testing, but it's been working for quite some time and, so far, so good.

That sounds hopeful.