Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,280
    edited July 2020

This lot, and the ones following are all pretty ancient. They were mainly done over the course of 2010 and 2011 as illustrations to the first publication project where I used 3D renders for the illustrations. Up to that point I'd mainly been using commercial clip art, photomanipulations or digital paintings. 

I'm in the process of redoing this project. Some of the illos are a minor embarassment these days. Still, not all of them are altogether bad. And it was certainly a learning experience. The original version will stay online until the new one is ready to post. So it will be some months before they come down. It's a fanfic trilogy, and there are a *lot* of illustrations to redo.

First, the cover of the first volume.

Book1-Cover.jpg
    798 x 1062 - 332K
    Post edited by JOdel on

These were all done in DS 3, and it was an uphill battle. DS3 was a 32-bit program on the Mac, so it was hobbled from the get-go.

Like I say, a learning experience.

I'm not going to post all of the illos from this project (there are over 80 of them) but there are a few that I'll happily share.

At the bootmakers:

Bootmakers.jpg
    788 x 1258 - 240K

And later that morning, at Flourish & Blotts:

Bookshop.jpg
    791 x 1258 - 261K
  • nattaruknattaruk Posts: 532

Ophelia Poolside

Continuing with the ancient illos.

Later in the first volume Albus and professors Snape and McGonagall pay a visit to Godric's Hollow. First, a visit to the graveyard.

Graveyard.jpg
    787 x 1258 - 444K

And then investigating the cottage that the Potters were hiding in on the night of the attack.

There were a number of discoveries among the Potters' remaining effects. Including a book of specifically witches' spells which attacks any man who touches it.

Minerva takes charge of that.

Cottage.jpg
    792 x 1257 - 339K
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2020

FEED ME!

Alien plant 6 awe.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited July 2020

Ha! Not a plant I'd want to meet in a dark garden.

Continuing with my ancient illos here; The rendered part of this one is a kitbash. DS3 was a 32-bit program, so it really didn't handle memory at all well. Not even by 2010 standards. I was also still flailing about with other programs.

I had been aware of Bryce since the developers had been showing off a late beta version at a MacWorld Expo in something like '91 or '92. And I'd followed the Metacreations catalog with great enthusiasm, even though I'd not actually worked with much beyone the Kai's Power Tools and other Photoshop plugins.

The foreground here is actually a Bryce product, and may still be here in the store. I never learned to use Bryce, but I could open the program, load the scene and render it.

The rest is Nerd3D's Cave system, which used to be here, but I don't think it's been re-released over at Hivewire (nt all f his stuff has been, and this one is old). The buildings on top are put together from components of a castle builder by Roland Creations, which might still be over at Rendo. The main tower is a Vue model which I managed to purchase in .obj format and bring into Studio. I had to mess with the surfaces tab. It was a learning experience.

Much of it was put together in post using Photoshop.

Cover2.jpg
    797 x 1051 - 285K
    Post edited by JOdel on

The frontspiece is another one cobbled together in post. One of Howie Farkes's Carrara scenes (Maple Meadows, I'm pretty sure). I never really learned Carrara either, but again, I could open the program, load the scene,point a camera, and render it.

The train is a "western Train set" from PoseAtier, which probably no longer exists. The smoke is from one of Ron's brushes, and the reflections are postwork. All in all I was fairly happy with it. But I'm not going to be using this method for the redo.

Frontspiece2.jpg
    785 x 1353 - 456K

While I have to admit that few of the illos from this first project are particularly good, they all constituted a learning experience.

For the Great Hall here I ended up disassembling one of Souless Empathy's sets (the Fantasy Tavern) and putting it back tgether again into something that worked for what I wanted. 

There may well be bits or pieces of other things also in use her. 

The Sorting:

Sorting.jpg
    797 x 1266 - 282K
    edited July 2020

Souless Empathy's Castle room got used for several of the illos in the project. Along with DM's Medieval Promenade, and a couple of their other sets. Jack Tomalin's Baroque Grandeure was also used. 

I'm still using the textures from the Castle room for various current project scenes. Althougb I don't think I've used the room itself in a while. 

In any case, here it is, repurposed as a classroom.

Flitwick-Class.jpg
    797 x 1266 - 226K
    Post edited by JOdel on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited July 2020

repost from the "Car and Bike" thread..

heavenly_blues_wip_2_3.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    heavenly_blues_wip_2_2.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    Post edited by hacsart on
  • MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 959
    edited July 2020

I have to admit I'm a little pleased with this one... no postwork yet, I like it enough there isn't a dozen things I can think of right away :-)  It's a character test that kind of got away, but I did get to take one of the nice monthly freebie backgrounds from the Other Place out for a spin.

Decided to add my finished version, as a before/after comparison...

Post edited by Misselthwaite on

A couple of scenes in the Baroque Grandeure room. These were done in 2010 or 2011, so it was the original version, pretty much out of the box. The lights, I think, may have been an add-on by Dreamlight. But I'm no longer sure of that.

I'm still using these godray pannels. They take a little fiddling, but they do the job.

Clubroom.jpg
    799 x 1273 - 337K
    FinnsEye.jpg
    798 x 1267 - 227K
  • windli3356windli3356 Posts: 230

Testing out new lighting preset. 

http://fav.me/de1iweo

Head2.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 3M

...a couple of reposts from the awe thread...

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2020

Render time 5 min.

Post edited by Vyusur on
    Vyusur said:

Render time 5 min.

Did you delete the attachment? Can't see the image.

edited July 2020

Yes, I did. I also can't see it.surprise

moontik_ministry01.png
    1300 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Nice volumetrics!  How are you doing them?

Vyusur said:

Love it! Well worth the waityes

Nice volumetrics!  How are you doing them?

Thanks a lot! That was atmospheric camera by Age of Armor. Sadly I don't see it in the store any more.

Vyusur said:

Love it! Well worth the waityes

Thank you very much!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Some really great 3Delight renders WOW is all I can say!

edited July 2020

The race is on

Restricted Hallway Race awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited July 2020

I suspect this one might be part of what burned out my computer. Most of my computers tend to hold up for 3-4 years before I need to upgrade. But the one bought in 2009 died rather quickly in 2011. Since I was working on this project over 2010 and 2011, I'm tempted to connect the dots.

DS3 was still 32-bit on the Mac. You do *not* want to try to render an evergreen tree in 32-bit. And here I had five of them. They aren't particularly high-poly, but they are transmapped, and the textures are fairly large for their era. These were trees from RDNA's old Deep Freeze collection. So they were on the old side when I got them. They don't come out badly, but they take *forever* to render.

After the first couple of days I gave up and rendered it in pieces and composited it in Photoshop. The background room took maybe an hour and a bit. The table and the characters about the same. The trees took from two to five and a half *days* (and, of course, nights).

All in all, it took 10.5 full 24-hour days to get all the pieces rendered.

I'll admit I am curious as to how long it woudl take on my current computer in 64-bit DS4, but I'm not going to put myself through that again.

Breakfast.jpg
    800 x 1275 - 378K
    Post edited by JOdel on
    edited July 2020

Re-render of something I made with the first awe build, here using the latest build.

Genaro pp awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited July 2020

Genaro 3 awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

A couple of great renders there Sven!!

A couple of great renders there Sven!!