Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    3Diva said:

Here's my first real attempt at a 3DL render. 

I discovered Daz Studio well after Iray was established and I was so busy learning how to use Iray that I never really tried out 3DL. I think I did ONE 3Delight image a couple of years ago and it was so bad that I just "nopped it" and went back to trying to learn how to improve my Iray renders and learn about the different Iray settings. I finally sat down a couple of days ago and decide I was going to do a 3DL render. I quickly found that the default 3DL settings are ...pretty bad. Which is kind of in keeping with the default Iray settings, as they're just not very good either, imo. lol Tweaks and changes to the settings are definitely something that needs to be made if one wants to get a better-looking image, I think. So after some experimenting with different settings, both render settings and skin settings, I managed to do my first real 3DL render:

You are right about the default settings, they are rather useless, rendersettings, light settings AND many materials presets.

Rendersettings: Make sure gamma correction is ON and gamma set to 2.20!! For still renders, set the shading rate to max 0.5. I'd recommend using 0.2 or 0.1. The lower you go the more detail/sharpness (at the expense of increased render times).

Lights: If you use the DS standard lights remember to turn on raytraced shadows (parameters/lights), lower shadow bias to 0.1 to avoid artefacts. Also, if you use linear pointlights or spotlights, set light decay to 2 for a physically correct light falloff. Shadow quality is set in rendersettings/shadow samples. For very soft shadows you probably need to use 64 or 128, maybe even more.

Her skin looks nice but the lighting used doesn't really do it justice:) Is that the camera head lamp? It won't produce any shadows in 3DL AFAIK.

3Diva said:

I still have a LOT to learn and I barely scratched the surface of the ...ehem, surfaces - as well as what all the different render settings do, but I'm definitely not as "unhappy" with this one as I was with the first attempt at 3DL I made a couple of years ago.

It was a nice surprise to see your 3DL render in here, here's to hoping for some more;)

3Diva said:
    JOdel said:

Good start. As with everything else, lighting is key. There are still some excellent 3DL lighting sets in the store. I tend to favor Khory's Carressed by Light series, myself. But I admit there may be other ones that work even better for portraits. So little of my work is portraits that I wouldn't be able to say.

Iray lights on 3DL renders isn't a complete no-go. But it isn't optimal.

Oh that's a cool idea, I didn't think to try Iray lights to see what that would look like. I did manage to find a couple of 3DL lights in my Library but when I added them it just blew her WAY out and I couldn't get them adjusted enough to not create blaring white spots on her, so I just dumped them.

Did you forget to turn off the camera headlamp?

3Diva said:

I'm so used to using HDRIs to light, that I wish there was an easy HDRI option for 3DL.

https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio is probably the easiest way of using HDRIs in the standard 3DL. And it seems to be useful in IRay also for adjusting the dome rotation. It also makes it possible to load an Iray HDRI preset and switch to 3DL, you'll have the same HDRI and light direction in both renderers.

Thank you for the great tips and suggestions (particularly the specific settings to try)! :) And yeah, I had headlamp on - I really wrestled with the lighting and in the end just used the headlamp. lol I'll definitely be getting rid of that once I can figure out the lighting in 3DL. I think that IBL Master should do the trick! :D I've always prefered working with HDRIs as the lighting feels more natural to me usually (as least in Iray, I've not tried HDRI in 3DL yet).

Thank you for the great suggestions - it's very much appreciated! :D

edited September 2020

I'm finding that the 3Delight dzToon shaders can do some really neat stuff with some tweaks and adjustments to the surface settings. Here are a couple of renders with the dzToon shaders that come with Daz Studio (with some modifications to the surface settings).

Toon rendering in 3Delight is a LOT of fun! :D

ELR NPR - G8F Sukai 8 Stardust Outfit Sci-Fi Environments 3DL Toon 2.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    NPR Toon 3DL - G8F Jax - 3DL dzToon Scripted 3Delight Standard Example C.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Very cool, @3Diva:)

edited September 2020

I took some of the tips you guys gave and implemented them for the following render. And for the lighting, I used UberEnviornment2 plus IBL Master. OH SO MUCH EASIER than trying to fiddle with a zillion lights and they usually end up looking pretty unnatural (at least for me). lol HDRIs are the way to go for lighting I think - at least for me for right now. HDRIs makes it WAY less painful and time-consuming to set up a scene and get decent lighting, imo.

I like how this one turned out. Here's the Raw Render:

And here's a version with some light postwork in Photoshop for color and contrast tweaks:

3DL - Hex Outfit - UberEnviornment2 Plus IBL Master.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    3DL - Hex Outfit - UberEnviornment2 Plus IBL Master B.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited September 2020

And a toon version, just for funzies! :D

3DL - Hex Outfit - UberEnviornment2 Plus IBL Master Outline Shader w Tweaks.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by 3Diva on

Very cool, @3Diva:)

Thank you, Sven Dullah! :)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,280
    edited September 2020

Next Illo: Olivander's.

This one doesn't have an earlier counterpart. The 2011 version just showed Harry and Hedwig staring at each other through a shop window. That had a good deal less to do with the narriative than the obligatory trip to get a wand.

2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 219K
    Post edited by JOdel on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Trying Uber Environment light.

Janna_3dl_02.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
  • Vyusur said:

Very cinematic, well done!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Vyusur said:

Very cinematic, well done!

Thank you very much!

• 3d_jedi3d_jedi Posts: 4
    edited September 2020

First post  ...ever

3Delight render with IBL and no post processing.
    4 min and 16 sec with no graphic card

3delight_ibl_01.png
    1297 x 1430 - 2M
    Post edited by 3d_jedi on
  • 3d_jedi said:

First post  ...ever

laughyes

Welcome to the Funny Farm:))

• K D S G  cool sign.

• Thank you Sven

3d_jedi said:

First post  ...ever

laughyes

Welcome to the Funny Farm:))

• Thank you FirstBastion

K D S G  cool sign.

• 3Delight Render Titled Balancing Act

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2020

Arrival

VV Night awe pp.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

Basing his actions on a hunch, upon returning to Little Whinging, they manage to evade Vernon Dursley lying in wait for them with a shotgun. Snape neutralizes the Dursleys, settles Harry in his new room for the night and returns to Hogwarts to report the situation.

The 2011 version, and the new one for 2020.

2011.jpg
    797 x 1264 - 162K
    2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 249K
    edited September 2020
    JOdel said:

Basing his actions on a hunch, upon returning to Little Whinging, they manage to evade Vernon Dursley lying in wait for them with a shotgun. Snape neutralizes the Dursleys, settles Harry in his new room for the night and returns to Hogwarts to report the situation.

hahah VAST improvement! The new version is great! And I love that he turned the gun into a fish! lol Too funny!

Post edited by 3Diva on

3Delight Render Titled Balancing Act

That's 3Delight? Wow! Awesome work!!

edited September 2020

Arrival

Translucency/SS might be a tad high in the hair, some of the hair looks almost glowing. Other than that the render looks great! I really like the sense of anticipation and moody light of the image.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited September 2020
    3Diva said:
    JOdel said:

hahah VAST improvement! The new version is great! And I love that he turned the gun into a fish! lol Too funny!

The obligatory pop culture reference from 'Dogma'. It was much appreciated in the reviews on ff.net.

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited September 2020
    3Diva said:

Arrival

Translucency/SS might be a tad high in the hair, some of the hair looks almost glowing. Other than that the render looks great! I really like the sense of anticipation and moody light of the image.

Tks @3Diva for your nice comment! Yeah good point about the translucency, I'll keep it in mind for the next night time renderyes

edited September 2020

...just playing with DS primitives and shader settings...

Saucer awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited September 2020

Close Encounter

C E awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

Snape storms back to Hogwarts full of righteous indignation. Sweeping Minerva up in his wake he confronts Dumbledore stating that the boy can NOT remain wth the Dursleys. Albus is adamant that he must not and cannot be removed from their home. His reasons are unconvincing. After a bit of pressure he admits that the situation is a great deal more complex (and far more political) than it appears.

Snape still insists that the boye cannot stay woth people who have already planned to kill him. 

The argument escalates, there is a gread deal of posturing, and Minerva weighs in.

Ths is one of the ones where the 2011 version is downtright embarassing.

First 2011, and then 2020.

2011.jpg
    798 x 1277 - 270K
    2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 299K
  • JOdel said:

Snape storms back to Hogwarts full of righteous indignation. Sweeping Minerva up in his wake he confronts Dumbledore stating that the boy can NOT remain wth the Dursleys. Albus is adamant that he must not and cannot be removed from their home. His reasons are unconvincing. After a bit of pressure he admits that the situation is a great deal more complex (and far more political) than it appears.

Snape still insists that the boye cannot stay woth people who have already planned to kill him. 

The argument escalates, there is a gread deal of posturing, and Minerva weighs in.

Ths is one of the ones where the 2011 version is downtright embarassing.

First 2011, and then 2020.

Love the new versionsmiley

• I am really enjoying the Harry Potter series of pictures :-)  Lovely images, too, 3Diva!

I just finished a render, trying to get back into elusive creative mode... just started a new job, still homeschooling, and finished pulling in most of the garden... I might have time to play a little!  In fact, after seeing Sven recommend IBL master to 3Diva, I sighed, because I've had that on my wishlist for ages.  Then  I thought, well, check, maybe it's on sale!  Nope - I'd already bought it, and never downloaded it.  D'oh!  Now I am finally trying it out :-)  This is about half the size, and I'll I've done is lightened it a little, since I usually have my monitor set a little lighter than baseline.  Next I get to play with it...

edited September 2020

I am really enjoying the Harry Potter series of pictures :-)  Lovely images, too, 3Diva!

I just finished a render, trying to get back into elusive creative mode... just started a new job, still homeschooling, and finished pulling in most of the garden... I might have time to play a little!  In fact, after seeing Sven recommend IBL master to 3Diva, I sighed, because I've had that on my wishlist for ages.  Then  I thought, well, check, maybe it's on sale!  Nope - I'd already bought it, and never downloaded it.  D'oh!  Now I am finally trying it out :-)  This is about half the size, and I'll I've done is lightened it a little, since I usually have my monitor set a little lighter than baseline.  Next I get to play with it...

Lovely render! Especially good job on shader settings and lighting, well done:)

Well I'm a sucker for Genesis 1 morphs, couldn't resist picking up https://www.daz3d.com/killer-shark-for-genesis along with some other ancient things that have been dwelling in my wishlist for a long time.

Hmm I wonder what their kids would look like...

Sharky and Rhino awe.png
    1600 x 1165 - 2M
  • A morph for Genesis and I don't have it?  Inconceivable!  :-D  Well, now it can live in my wishlist for ages! 

So far, I\m using IBL largely as a replacement for my ambient... at some point, I'll see what it's like on an outdoor scene as the primary source.  Not soon, though... the other place has a Hallowe'en contest, and I might try to scrape up an entry ;-)

This discussion has been closed.