Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Love the eyes - they are so stark! :-)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2020

Inna Rub-a Dub Style

Rubber Ducking awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited August 2020
    Vyusur said:

A little bit of 3Delight NPR

Very nice!!

NPR is obviously not my thing, appart from some experimenting with post work filters. But I was trying the Outline script a couple of days ago, thinking I could maybe create some weird control maps to use in a PBR workflow, if that makes sense;) Noticed that the render window didn't make much sense, all surfaces rendered white and the transparent background red. Then I found out it creates a number of TIFFs (color, depth and outline, IIRC). The color map seemed to be a flat mid gray image no matter what I did. Does anyone have some tips to get me started? Do you need dedicated shaders for this to work properly?

Was also experimenting with simple ambient surfaces withing the "awe realm" to achieve a kinda NPR look, here with no postwork:

• Here's a question - did anyone ever figure a way to make UltraScenery work in 3DL?  Or is it a dead end?

edited August 2020

The product page says "Exclusively Optimized for Iray", I think the ground shaders are procedural so not willing to even try it out at this time, too much workfrown

Here's a question - did anyone ever figure a way to make UltraScenery work in 3DL?  Or is it a dead end?

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

NPR is obviously not my thing, appart from some experimenting with post work filters. But I was trying the Outline script a couple of days ago, thinking I could maybe create some weird control maps to use in a PBR workflow, if that makes sense;) Noticed that the render window didn't make much sense, all surfaces rendered white and the transparent background red. Then I found out it creates a number of TIFFs (color, depth and outline, IIRC). The color map seemed to be a flat mid gray image no matter what I did. Does anyone have some tips to get me started? Do you need dedicated shaders for this to work properly?

The Outline script as-is is a mess. If it weren't, there would be no djigneo's LineRender9000. 

The Outline script as-is is a mess. If it weren't, there would be no djigneo's LineRender9000. 

Uhmm, how am I not surprised:-)) Yes I might get LR9k some day but it's not very high on my priority list atm. I still might find the Outline useful, the outline- normal maps it produces look useful for some obscure stuff...

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,280
    edited August 2020

Okay, I've reached the point of having the illos for the first volume of the trilogy redone. So I think I'll start posting them here.

Looking over the ones from the original version that I posted a couple of pages back, they really are faintly embarassing. I had no clue what I was doing at that point. The whole project was a "learning experience".

This is the redone frontspiece of volume 1. I think I might have posted it elsewhere in the forums, but not altogether certain. I may not have.

Note: these are not being posted on my own site until I have *all three* volumes done, so what is posted there is still the old embarassing versions from about 2011.

2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 184K
    Post edited by JOdel on
    edited August 2020

This illo I know I have poseted elsewhere in the forums. I added it to the ROG Medieval Bedroom thread, since that was the set used for it. The walls convert to 3DL using conversion utilities without much of an issue -- apart from losing the ability to restore the normals. Both sets of Iray to 3DL conversion utilities that I have turn out to lose the chanel where normals are applied. 

Most metal items also convered without issue. But not all. With wooden items, virtually all of them lose parts when either converted, or just straight rendered in 3DL. To get the whole item (and to be able to use the normal maps again) you need to go through a whole do-si-do of exporting the item to .obj. Then importing the new .obj, and restoring the materials in the surfaces tab.

And yes, you do lose a slight extra punch of realism, but since I *want* my illustrations to look like something that might have been printed in a book, this is not a major concern.

Illustration #2 of 'The Best Revenge' volume 1. Sending out the Hogwarts letters: Once again, the version of the project using these illos will not be posted until I have *all* of the new illos, for all three volumes finished and in.

2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 260K
    Post edited by JOdel on
  • I like them both, lots of nice details, the lighting in the first one is very nice! (And I liked the older ones too!)

Hmm, exporting as .obj? So the normals channel gets lost when converting from IrayUber? Are you converting to DS default? Did you try enabling "show hidden" in the surface pane? Or re applying the DS default shader?

edited September 2020

I tried the RSSY Iray to 3DL converter, as well as the Convert It! package from Vyktoria over on Rendo. Both of them worked, but both of them lost the normals channel. I haven't tried simply applying the onnifreaker ubersurface or other attempts to roll my own. Or, rather, if I did, I don't recall it because it didn't work.

The .obj do-si-do was discovered by accident. That was mainly to be able to get versions of props which didn't lose their polys when rendered in 3DL. Nearly all of the props which were given wooden textures lose visible and sometimes quite substantial amounts of their geometry if you try to render them in 3DL. This got reported over in the thread in Red Crow Inn thread in the Commercial forum at the time it was released. It also affects most of the props in the ROG Medieval Bedroom as well. Running the converters did not fix this, so I had to push eveerything back to .obj and start over. 

This loses the rigging, but the matt zones are vdry well organized. Well enough to be able to delete everything but the moving part, parent it to the bone of the original prop, delete that portion of the original prop, and it will work. It makes a mess of your scene tab with having to drill down levels for each bone, but it *works* for posing.

Props with a metal surface do much better, but they don't come in at 100% either. So far I haven't seen stone surfaces lose polys. Once I had done that, I discovered that the imported .obj came in with the 3DL defaults which included the normals channel. So I took to converting everything.

To be honest, I tend to prefer to be able to assign the lighting mode as one can do with the defaults. Mainly because I've been around long enough to be used to those. I don't refuse to use things with materials that don't give that option. But the converters mentioned don't seem to give it either. They did do a good job on the stone walls, however.

Oh, and the wax materials and the point lights in the candles are from Khory's 'By Candelight' package.

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited September 2020
    JOdel said:

I tried the RSSY Iray to 3DL converter, as well as the Convert It! package from Vyktoria over on Rendo. Both of them worked, but both of them lost the normals channel. I haven't tried simply applying the onnifreaker ubersurface or other attempts to roll my own. Or, rather, if I did, I don't recall it because it didn't work.

It also affects most of the props in the ROG Medieval Bedroom as well. Running the converters did not fix this, so I had to push eveerything back to .obj and start over. 

This loses the rigging, but the matt zones are vdry well organized. Well enough to be able to delete everything but the moving part, parent it to the bone of the original prop, delete that portion of the original prop, and it will work. It makes a mess of your scene tab with having to drill down levels for each bone, but it *works* for posing.

Props with a metal surface do much better, but they don't come in at 100% either. So far I haven't seen stone surfaces lose polys. Once I had done that, I discovered that the imported .obj came in with the 3DL defaults which included the normals channel. So I took to converting everything.

To be honest, I tend to prefer to be able to assign the lighting mode as one can do with the defaults. Mainly because I've been around long enough to be used to those. I don't refuse to use things with materials that don't give that option. But the converters mentioned don't seem to give it either. They did do a good job on the stone walls, however.

Oh, and the wax materials and the point lights in the candles are from Khory's 'By Candelight' package.

So it sounds like you're having a problem and found a workaround, which is good. But this

The .obj do-si-do was discovered by accident. That was mainly to be able to get versions of props which didn't lose their polys when rendered in 3DL. Nearly all of the props which were given wooden textures lose visible and sometimes quite substantial amounts of their geometry if you try to render them in 3DL. This got reported over in the thread in Red Crow Inn thread in the Commercial forum at the time it was released.

makes no sense to me at all! I don't know what thread that is, care to share a link? 

edited September 2020

The thread is here, I don't know how many pages in the comments about the missing polys start up. There was a good deal of preview first:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/373966/released-rog-red-crow-inn-commercial#latest

And here is an example of what I'm talking about. The top image is a screenshot of the prop in the viewport. The lower image is a screenshot of the same prop in the viewport after a 3DL spot render.

Looking baxck through the thread, I see that someone found a much simpler work-around by changing the subdivision algorythem. I'll have to give that a try. But in the meantime, I have a reasonably complete set of conversions and no reason not to use them.

Vanishing-Polys.jpg
    794 x 866 - 127K
    Post edited by JOdel on
  • Is that before or after the workaround listed in the thread, JOdel?

JOdel said:

The thread is here, I don't know how many pages in the comments about the missing polys start up. There was a good deal of preview first:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/373966/released-rog-red-crow-inn-commercial#latest

And here is an example of what I'm talking about. The top image is a screenshot of the prop in the viewport. The lower image is a screenshot of the same prop in the viewport after a 3DL spot render.

Well before. Like I say, I haven't tried the change of algorythm that someone posted to see how well that works.

I didn't read through the whole thread before I started trying to build a scene using the props. So I probably went long way around to arrive at the same place.

But, yeah, that's how the props at their defaults, with the default algorythm, render in 3DL. A real render comes up no different from the spot render in the screenshot. Disconcerting, to say the least.

• I just bought the bedroom in fastgrab yesterday... now I almost wish I hadn't.  Well, I'll try and get around to testing it out, since I still have time to return it.  They really should include that in the product description, though - I've never had a problem converting, so I don't usually give it more than a second thought.  :-(  Thanks, JOdel!

edited September 2020
    JOdel said:

Looking baxck through the thread, I see that someone found a much simpler work-around by changing the subdivision algorythem. I'll have to give that a try. But in the meantime, I have a reasonably complete set of conversions and no reason not to use them.

Ok, tks! Makes a little more sense now;) So it's simply a topology issue, it seems. Anyways, your workaround IMO is far from optimal, having to export/import and lose the rigging:( How do the props render with base resolution?

I believe you can edit the SubD weights in the geometry editor but I've not looked into that yet;)

edited September 2020

Well, in all fairness, the sets clearly say they are for Iray. I'd just never seen geometry disappear when rendering an Iray product in 3DL.

Like I say, I haven't tried the algorythm changes. But by now I've got just about everything in the package converted, so probably will only try it to see how it does. 

Never said my method was optimal. But at least I know none of the polys are going to disappear if I forget to reset algorythms.

Post edited by JOdel on

In the meantime, here's the 3rd illo in the project. Delivering the Hogwarts letter.

This illo is a new one. The redo has fewer illos than the original, but about a third of them are new subjects, replacing things that I've deleted.

2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 342K
  • JOdel said:

In the meantime, here's the 3rd illo in the project. Delivering the Hogwarts letter.

This illo is a new one. The redo has fewer illos than the original, but about a third of them are new subjects, replacing things that I've deleted.

yes

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh9JuDq0E5A

Here's a movie I've been working on. Daz3d products influenced me a lot while writing this story.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited September 2020

Here's my first real attempt at a 3DL render. 

I discovered Daz Studio well after Iray was established and I was so busy learning how to use Iray that I never really tried out 3DL. I think I did ONE 3Delight image a couple of years ago and it was so bad that I just "nopped it" and went back to trying to learn how to improve my Iray renders and learn about the different Iray settings. I finally sat down a couple of days ago and decide I was going to do a 3DL render. I quickly found that the default 3DL settings are ...pretty bad. Which is kind of in keeping with the default Iray settings, as they're just not very good either, imo. lol Tweaks and changes to the settings are definitely something that needs to be made if one wants to get a better-looking image, I think. So after some experimenting with different settings, both render settings and skin settings, I managed to do my first real 3DL render:

I still have a LOT to learn and I barely scratched the surface of the ...ehem, surfaces - as well as what all the different render settings do, but I'm definitely not as "unhappy" with this one as I was with the first attempt at 3DL I made a couple of years ago.

G2F - Olympia 6 - First Real Attempt at 3DL.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by 3Diva on

Good start. As with everything else, lighting is key. There are still some excellent 3DL lighting sets in the store. I tend to favor Khory's Carressed by Light series, myself. But I admit there may be other ones that work even better for portraits. So little of my work is portraits that I wouldn't be able to say.

Iray lights on 3DL renders isn't a complete no-go. But it isn't optimal.

Next illo: Visiting Gringotts. 

I didn't post the old version earler, but I'll add it here. This whole trip down memory lane is serving as a fine reminder that I'm never going to try to use gen4 charcters for anything, ever again. 

It's also making me wonder how mines have become such a popular subject for 3D vendors. There are swarms of them out there now. Back in 2011 there was hardly anything but the old Fargoth Mines in the PC. 

First in 2011. And now in 2020.

2011.jpg
    797 x 1264 - 240K
    2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 222K
    JOdel said:

Good start. As with everything else, lighting is key. There are still some excellent 3DL lighting sets in the store. I tend to favor Khory's Carressed by Light series, myself. But I admit there may be other ones that work even better for portraits. So little of my work is portraits that I wouldn't be able to say.

Oh that's a cool idea, I didn't think to try Iray lights to see what that would look like. I did manage to find a couple of 3DL lights in my Library but when I added them it just blew her WAY out and I couldn't get them adjusted enough to not create blaring white spots on her, so I just dumped them.

I'm so used to using HDRIs to light, that I wish there was an easy HDRI option for 3DL.

JOdel said:

Next illo: Visiting Gringotts. 

I didn't post the old version earler, but I'll add it here. This whole trip down memory lane is serving as a fine reminder that I'm never going to try to use gen4 charcters for anything, ever again. 

It's also making me wonder how mines have become such a popular subject for 3D vendors. There are swarms of them out there now. Back in 2011 there was hardly anything but the old Fargoth Mines in the PC. 

First in 2011. And now in 2020.

hahah Very cool Harry Potter image! :D The rework is great! It's definitely much more "alive" and exciting. Not only does the render (lighting, color, contrast) itself look better but the poses and expressions are WAY better now! Excellent work!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667
    edited September 2020

Been trying to learn how to use instances I think I am getting better at it and wanted to use some stuff I got from the PC+ sales in July plus learning 3Delight lighting!

I used AoA lighting, 3Delight rendering, no postwork and tried out Instancing!

A Blake and Belle Toon Furry Grass.png
    800 x 640 - 917K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386
    3Diva said:
    JOdel said:

Oh that's a cool idea, I didn't think to try Iray lights to see what that would look like. I did manage to find a couple of 3DL lights in my Library but when I added them it just blew her WAY out and I couldn't get them adjusted enough to not create blaring white spots on her, so I just dumped them.

I'm so used to using HDRIs to light, that I wish there was an easy HDRI option for 3DL.

IBL Master is a good option to use HDRI with 3DL: https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio

edited September 2020
    3Diva said:

Here's my first real attempt at a 3DL render. 

I discovered Daz Studio well after Iray was established and I was so busy learning how to use Iray that I never really tried out 3DL. I think I did ONE 3Delight image a couple of years ago and it was so bad that I just "nopped it" and went back to trying to learn how to improve my Iray renders and learn about the different Iray settings. I finally sat down a couple of days ago and decide I was going to do a 3DL render. I quickly found that the default 3DL settings are ...pretty bad. Which is kind of in keeping with the default Iray settings, as they're just not very good either, imo. lol Tweaks and changes to the settings are definitely something that needs to be made if one wants to get a better-looking image, I think. So after some experimenting with different settings, both render settings and skin settings, I managed to do my first real 3DL render:

You are right about the default settings, they are rather useless, rendersettings, light settings AND many materials presets.

Rendersettings: Make sure gamma correction is ON and gamma set to 2.20!! For still renders, set the shading rate to max 0.5. I'd recommend using 0.2 or 0.1. The lower you go the more detail/sharpness (at the expense of increased render times).

Lights: If you use the DS standard lights remember to turn on raytraced shadows (parameters/lights), lower shadow bias to 0.1 to avoid artefacts. Also, if you use linear pointlights or spotlights, set light decay to 2 for a physically correct light falloff. Shadow quality is set in rendersettings/shadow samples. For very soft shadows you probably need to use 64 or 128, maybe even more.

Her skin looks nice but the lighting used doesn't really do it justice:) Is that the camera head lamp? It won't produce any shadows in 3DL AFAIK.

3Diva said:

I still have a LOT to learn and I barely scratched the surface of the ...ehem, surfaces - as well as what all the different render settings do, but I'm definitely not as "unhappy" with this one as I was with the first attempt at 3DL I made a couple of years ago.

It was a nice surprise to see your 3DL render in here, here's to hoping for some more;)

3Diva said:
    JOdel said:

Did you forget to turn off the camera headlamp?

3Diva said:

https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio is probably the easiest way of using HDRIs in the standard 3DL. And it seems to be useful in IRay also for adjusting the dome rotation. It also makes it possible to load an Iray HDRI preset and switch to 3DL, you'll have the same HDRI and light direction in both renderers.

Leana said:
    3Diva said:
    JOdel said:

IBL Master is a good option to use HDRI with 3DL: https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio

Oh nice - I bought that a couple of years ago, I think, but didn't recall that it was for both Iray and 3DL. That's going to be a huge help! Thank you! :D

This discussion has been closed.