Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

OMG It turned our better then even I thought!!!!

Great job @Misselthwaite!

• Thank you, it's pretty close to what I wanted.  I don't think it even needs much postwork, but I can never resist fiddling with it :-)  Then I can slap the signature on and let the obsession go... until next time. :-D

• I put the postworked one up in my newly-created gallery. 

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/1817

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

I forgot how flippin long realistic 3dl renders can take. I think this took an hour or something awful, probably because of the hair (even with Occlusion Off). Ugh.

But I adore microdisplacement.

Zhariel 3dl.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 331K
  • Looks amazing... but she looks very grumpy.  Must need more coffee. :-D  An hour is nothing.  I don't even do realistic, and it still takes days sometimes!  You must be spoiled ;-)

edited March 2019

I'm spoiled by Iray; if it takes longer than 10 minutes I'm doing something really elaborate. And I usually only render for an hour if I'm really trying to get a very polished look.

Also spoiled by using PWToon, where renders are also super fast. Heh

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • My Iray was never fast when I tried it, just slow, speckly, and unsatisfying... mostly unsatisfying.  You think you're reaching for the 'real', and you discover you've weebled somewhere else :-)  I guess I'll just have to keep suffering for my 'art'. ;-P

PWToon, but 'realistic' enough, I think, to plop in here instead of non photorealistic thread.

I hit the problem I remember from using 3dl a lot before, which is that very brightly lit elements are rather jagged/aliased against dark. And it's a bit annoying to try to fix.

Old Ship.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 317K
  • Usually, I just soften up the shadows a little, then you get a nice light-dark flow without the harsh edges.  Of course, if you're going to filter it for comic style, hard edges probably work better?

• timeofftimeoff Posts: 49

Lovely colours and nice wide format. Very chilled indeed

• Thank you both :-)  It's always satisfying when the bits come together (and when I can make the G3 eyebrows fit Genesis!)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Thank you both :-)  It's always satisfying when the bits come together (and when I can make the G3 eyebrows fit Genesis!)

Hehe, I got some G3 fibermesh brows and am having some problems fitting them to G1 without getting mesh distortion. The G3F clone for G1 does a good job, as long as you're not using the youth morphs, it seems. I managed to find a workaround but cannot recall what I did LOL:)

• Wait, I am fitting G2, that's why it's working.  D'oh, I had a moron moment!  I only own the Alfred G2 set, and so far, they've done pretty well...  Of course, I don't tend to do portraiture, so they may not hold up against close scrutiny for fit :-)  I can't really imagine trying to fit a G3 prop... of course, they're simpler than clothes, right?  I haven't had much luck with those.  I can't even make G3 hair work, all the morphs vanish... I know there's a way, but it isn't sticking with my noggin, yet.  Sigh.  If I would stop making pictures, maybe I'd have more time to learn...

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

Hehe, I got some G3 fibermesh brows and am having some problems fitting them to G1 without getting mesh distortion. The G3F clone for G1 does a good job, as long as you're not using the youth morphs, it seems. I managed to find a workaround but cannot recall what I did LOL:)

I usually just parent them on the head and position/scale them as needed. Which was the case with the eyebrow (from RAMWolff's Gino) that I fitted to Digital Emily scanned head on the test track renders.

Another plus is that doing it that way allows you to make instances of the prop and place them at an offset of the original. You could still do that with a conforming wearable, but trickier since if you're not doing it with a morph, you'll have to adjust bone placements.

The harder, though perhaps more proper alternative is to export the fibermesh and then create a proper conforming wearables using the exported obj. It's not hard to do, but you do have to export all the morphs out as well. Since the geometry data is the same, just copying the morph files may work but I never tried it. In the above case Emily's head is still a prop so it wouldn't work and hence the manual placement.

The problem with fibermesh hair is that most props lack the polycount needed to really look as good as real curves. You could push it up if you're making them yourselves, but then polycount gets insanely high once you have lots of them (for hair, eyebrows, fur, extra fibers on clothes). Plus, the shape of the individual hair strand is actually wrong. Most of the time, it will be something like a pyramid rather than a proper cylinder/cone on the end.

Plus, there's always going to be distortion once you change the head too much.

wowie said:

I usually just parent them on the head and position/scale them as needed. Which was the case with the eyebrow (from RAMWolff's Gino) that I fitted to Digital Emily scanned head on the test track renders.

Another plus is that doing it that way allows you to make instances of the prop and place them at an offset of the original. You could still do that with a conforming wearable, but trickier since if you're not doing it with a morph, you'll have to adjust bone placements.

The harder, though perhaps more proper alternative is to export the fibermesh and then create a proper conforming wearables using the exported obj. It's not hard to do, but you do have to export all the morphs out as well. Since the geometry data is the same, just copying the morph files may work but I never tried it. In the above case Emily's head is still a prop so it wouldn't work and hence the manual placement.

The problem with fibermesh hair is that most props lack the polycount needed to really look as good as real curves. You could push it up if you're making them yourselves, but then polycount gets insanely high once you have lots of them (for hair, eyebrows, fur, extra fibers on clothes). Plus, the shape of the individual hair strand is actually wrong. Most of the time, it will be something like a pyramid rather than a proper cylinder/cone on the end.

Plus, there's always going to be distortion once you change the head too much.

Yeah exactly my thoughts:) I've managed to export as .obj and make a working werable for G1 but more extreme shapes will mess them up. So I mostly rely on the Genesis eybrows which come with 10 female and 10 male presets, using the good old opacity maps:D Applying the right amount of displacement will make them look ok.

• I have a fondness for bushy eyebrows on guys... displacement is okay at a distance, but I always figure if I'm going to be rendering something for 16hrs anyway, I might as well have the eyebrows.  Of course, it's this sort of attitude that makes the renders so long, I know, but as soon as I zoom in to neaten up poses or adjust a hair, there I am trying to make everything I see look the way I 'see' it in my head. The problem with my workflow starting with the character creation, I suppose.  Someday, I will have to see if I can start with an environment instead...

• MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 959
    edited March 2019

Now I feel like a thread killer... :-(  Oh, well - Happy Spring Forward (yes, sarcasm - it's Monday, after all!)

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/752636/

(I will add that the bushy eyebrows in this case are made of moss!)

Post edited by Misselthwaite on

Now I feel like a thread killer... :-(  Oh, well - Happy Spring Forward (yes, sarcasm - it's Monday, after all!)

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/752636/

(I will add that the bushy eyebrows in this case are made of moss!)

I get a 404 when clicking on your link:(  And don't worry, you won't be able to kill this threadcool

Chohole said:

Tks Chohole:) What a lovely image @Misselthwaite!

• I fixed the link - thanks, Chohole :-)  Thanks, Sven!  It will be my last for a while - homeschooling my youngest starting today...

• Just a question, since this seems to be - if not the place - then the people to ask; has anyone tried converting "Mangrove Trees, Roots and Bushes for Iray" to 3Delight, and if so, how well did it work?

Just a question, since this seems to be - if not the place - then the people to ask; has anyone tried converting "Mangrove Trees, Roots and Bushes for Iray" to 3Delight, and if so, how well did it work?

Don't have it, wish I could afford it and have a go at it;) The product page lists these maps:

Textures Include:

• 16 Texture, Displacement, Normal, Specular, and Thransparency Maps (1024x1024 upto 2100x2100)

So I can't see why it shouldn't work. Just need to pick the right shader for it, the default won't do, as you need translucency for it to look good. I'd love to try an awe conversion, wishlisted;)

• Just a question, since this seems to be - if not the place - then the people to ask; has anyone tried converting "Mangrove Trees, Roots and Bushes for Iray" to 3Delight, and if so, how well did it work?

Don't have it, wish I could afford it and have a go at it;) The product page lists these maps:

Textures Include:

• 16 Texture, Displacement, Normal, Specular, and Thransparency Maps (1024x1024 upto 2100x2100)

So I can't see why it shouldn't work. Just need to pick the right shader for it, the default won't do, as you need translucency for it to look good. I'd love to try an awe conversion, wishlisted;)

I was going to wishlist it (since the 'sale' mostly isn't one, for myself) as I do not have a swamp setting, and mangroves are so part of those in my mind.  I don't have shaders for plants, I just mash the materials until it doesn't suck :-)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

I have been noticing that IRay props have been rendering fine in my 3Delight Progressive rendering it does take just about a half hour longer but excellent results!

!Hospital Drama.png
    1500 x 1200 - 2M
  • Ah - my computer has an issue with them; crashing, multi-day rendering times... it's all bad.  I've learned my lesson :-)

Just a question, since this seems to be - if not the place - then the people to ask; has anyone tried converting "Mangrove Trees, Roots and Bushes for Iray" to 3Delight, and if so, how well did it work?

Textures Include:

.  I don't have shaders for plants, I just mash the materials until it doesn't suck :-)

You probably mean shader presets:) I was thinking UberSufrace;)

• Oh, Ubersurface is all good - I guess it is a shader, I just use it so continuously, I don't think of it that way!  Strangely enough, my computer kept gurbling over the AoA shaders - rendering them all white, but at random times - so I had to stop using it.  Only after I installed the second-to-last iteration of Daz, though, so it may have had something to do with that.

This discussion has been closed.