Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I dabbled a little with Luxrender, took a brief, horrific stab at iRay, and am quite content to sit in my 3Delight puddle and play :-)

Love it:)

Composite

Cool! Is that after or before? laugh

hacsart said:

Not very exciting, this one.. just testing a few things...

yes

edited December 2018

..bat whisperer.. (and slightly un-dead)

Bat whisperer awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • E.Bru said:

Sorry! English is not my first Language. I will remove the picture.

It's quite okay. I only speak two languages, English and Bad English and neither of them too well.

• hacsart said:

Not very exciting, this one.. just testing a few things...

Looks 3D and I mean Parallax 3D the way the clouds may be slightly more out of focus to the trees and those to the building and that to the foreground. Or maybe I am just imagining the depth of field.

• edited December 2018

@Sven Dullah Photoshopped her layer in after she was rendered. The bedroom was rendered a few months ago.

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • I like Morning Out a lot. Which road and bridge sets is that?

It is the Unsed Railway Bridge it is great set for sure.

I am glad you liked my "Morning Out"

Oh, I have that set! I didn't even realize I have that one. I have got to start using more of my purchases.

• I just went through my catalogue one listing at a time - I was looking for something specific, then forgot what I was there for! :-D  It was like an early Christmas... found things I'd forgotten, things I never knew I had... whiled away quite a lot of time, and now I have to work madly to catch up ;-P

• GoneGone Posts: 833

GSFC part 2 - emitter planes.

Last time, I turned the light material zone to an emitter - then waited a loooooong time for the render to finish.

This time, the lighting is from 9 emitters with 425 instances based off these 9. 

No big surprise, the render finished in less than 1/10 the time - even with this guy photo bombing the shot. laugh

Fun fact: originally, I was going to turn the light zone back into a regular surface and add the emitters - but the emitters wouldn't light!! Turns out, that when any of the original geometry was used as an emitter, it would kill any add in emitter plane - even after the material was turned back into a regular surface.

AWEgsfcEmitterBEO.jpg
    900 x 900 - 199K
    Gone said:

Last time, I turned the light material zone to an emitter - then waited a loooooong time for the render to finish.

This time, the lighting is from 9 emitters with 425 instances based off these 9. 

No big surprise, the render finished in less than 1/10 the time - even with this guy photo bombing the shot. laugh

I bet positioning the emitters took longer than rendering:)

Gone said:

Fun fact: originally, I was going to turn the light zone back into a regular surface and add the emitters - but the emitters wouldn't light!! Turns out, that when any of the original geometry was used as an emitter, it would kill any add in emitter plane - even after the material was turned back into a regular surface.

Yup that was discussed in the awe test thread as well, my workaround when that happens is to copy all surfaces and translations of the prop, then delete and re import, paste surfaces and translations;) Just note that if you use the environmental shader on panels and leds, you need to manually apply the shader before pasting.

Yeah, just a smidge longer. wink By the time I got to the fourth or fifth emitter, I had a routine down. It took longer to place the emitter that it did to place the 10 or so instances from it.

I remember that discussion but I didn't realize that was the issue. In any case, I hadn't placed any emitters - I was just testing to make sure they would work - so it was easier just to start from scratch when I found the problem.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 2018
    Gone said:

I usually organize them so you have a parent instance and several child instances. Assuming they're spaced evenly, you can copy/paste settings quite quickly. Move/scale the parent and the children automatically follow.

1/10th of the time? I'd say the hassle of converting to simpler planes is worth it.

Post edited by wowie on

Not sure if we are talking the same thing, but whatI did was create an emitter for the group and then create an instance group for the remainder of the lights for the group.

The group inherits the light properties of the emitter they are associated with so changing the emitter properties changes all instances associated with it.

Gone said:

Not sure if we are talking the same thing, but whatI did was create an emitter for the group and then create an instance group for the remainder of the lights for the group.

The group inherits the light properties of the emitter they are associated with so changing the emitter properties changes all instances associated with it.

...and if you need to have different light intensities within the same group, you can scale the instances;)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667
    edited December 2018

Here is just for fun render I did in 3Delight as always and postworked in GIMP.

Fae Happiness.jpg
    1500 x 1875 - 3M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • Here is just for fun render I did in 3Delight as always and postworked in GIMP.

Just curious and since I have to reinstall DAZ because of BSOD. Would you be interested in rendering the grass and only the grass using one distant light and then post it? Here are the parameters to try. The light is raytraced and casts shadow .1 or is it 1? The surface setting of the grass is set to skin and the bump is set to .40 or .50 maybe. The camera is from the front with lens changed to 50mm and with the light 100% just to the right. I look forward to the posting of the render of just the grass good bad or indifferent.
  • edited December 2018
    For comparison, rendered in Cararra. Howie Farkes sets. I like how the translucency of the plants give life to them. Maybe we could get Martin Hedenstroem to tell us how to render better now that he is making some of them for Daz too. Although I think he is sticking to iRay.
    CountryLane1080.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 625K
    Hedgerow.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 623K
    Forest Drive.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 548K
    StoneyCreek.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 527K
  • Rendered in 3Delight. Layers composited in Gimp afterward.
    College Campus Victoria London V42 Test C1 1h05m14s 3D First Bastion Dome Gimp.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • edited December 2018
    Poser products rendered in 3Delight on Daz 4.6. Block 20 by Dreamland from the other store. The grass and flowers are flat. He now sells here. Maybe we can get him to tell us how to render this with volume. I don't think I gave Saphirewild the right instructions and I can't do any testing till my computer is back up and running.
    c1 1h.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 2018
    Gone said:

Yes. We are talking about the same thing. It's probably best to illustrate what I mean. First, I instance the emitter 10 times. Then using the Align tool, stacked them in -z direction by .25 units.

Then I instance them a second time, adding 10 more instances which DS conveniently create as a second group of instances. You can either use the Align tool again on the second group, or just copy/past the properties from the instances in the first group to the second group.

Extended.

One emitter, separate instance groups so I can manipulate each groups if I need to. I find this really handy for working on lighting corridors, since most of the time the placement are spaced evenly and in symmetry.

instance1.JPG
    923 x 697 - 84K
    instance2.JPG
    923 x 696 - 78K
    instance3.JPG
    897 x 668 - 70K
    Post edited by wowie on
  • The light is raytraced and casts shadow .1 or is it 1? 

If you mean shadow bias, then 0.01. 

For comparison, rendered in Cararra. Howie Farkes sets. I like how the translucentcy of the plants give life to them. 

Those are actual grass models, not a flat plane with a texture. We've had shaders that can handle that since forever: even the free UberSurface will do. If the model has no thickness, use the translucency channel; if there is some volume to the mesh, use a high-scale subsurface scattering setting.

Flat planes will always look like flat planes - unless you have proper vector displacement maps, but that's not something I've seen in the store here or anywhere else in the hobby 3D scene.

• Thank you Musta. Thank you thank you. If I made a Normal Map from the texture map, Would that get the grass etc to stand up? I will try out what you have said as soon as get the computer back up and running.
    Thank you Musta. Thank you thank you. If I made a Normal Map from the texture map, Would that get the grass etc to stand up? I will try out what you have said as soon as get the computer back up and running.

In all likelihood, no. There was that AoA's/Dimension Theory grass shader awhile back. https://www.daz3d.com/grass-shader-for-daz-studio

It relies on displacement, though not vector displacement. Unfortunately, it renders pretty slow when used with UE2. There's no way to turn off occlusion or override the sampling. Only noticed it now, but It is a Shader Mixer recipe  Unless someone figured out how to pass attributes to shader mixer recipes.

wowie said:
    Thank you Musta. Thank you thank you. If I made a Normal Map from the texture map, Would that get the grass etc to stand up? I will try out what you have said as soon as get the computer back up and running.

In all likelihood, no. There was that AoA's/Dimension Theory grass shader awhile back. https://www.daz3d.com/grass-shader-for-daz-studio

It relies on displacement, though not vector displacement. Unfortunately, it renders pretty slow when used with UE2. There's no way to turn off occlusion or override the sampling. Only noticed it now, but It is a Shader Mixer recipe  Unless someone figured out how to pass attributes to shader mixer recipes.

When used with the AoA lights, you can flag the shader to use alternative samples.

When used with the AoA lights, you can flag the shader to use alternative samples.

True. But you're pretty much stuck to using just AoA's lights.

Curiousity got the better of me. It does seem like it may be possible to call a rendertime script via the Shader Builder macro brick within Shader Mixer. If it works, there could be a way to pass the relevant 3delight irradiance sample attributes. Provided other lights do the smart thing and read the attributes first. Trying something.

Oh, scratch that. Doesn't render properly. The Shader Builder Macro brick output is just ignored by Shader Mixer. In theory it could work though.

wowie said:

True. But you're pretty much stuck to using just AoA's lights.

Curiousity got the better of me. It does seem like it may be possible to call a rendertime script via the Shader Builder macro brick within Shader Mixer. If it works, there could be a way to pass the relevant 3delight irradiance sample attributes. Provided other lights do the smart thing and read the attributes first. Trying something.

Oh, scratch that. Doesn't render properly. The Shader Builder Macro brick output is just ignored by Shader Mixer. In theory it could work though.

Nice try thoughsmiley Sounded like you were onto somethingdevil

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited December 2018

Can’t remember if I posted these...

52701FF7-488A-4EDE-AF22-563B7DA995C6.jpeg
    1680 x 1050 - 332K
    6E1852B1-59EC-41BA-B14D-20E6DA7C9862.jpeg
    1050 x 1680 - 417K
    Post edited by hacsart on
  • Barefoot...Hmmm.... I thought Howie had 3Delight and Iray in his recent Harpwood County packs....

• Barefoot...Hmmm.... I thought Howie had 3Delight and Iray in his recent Harpwood County packs....

You are right! Maybe it was the memory intensive in his ad that scared me off. Either way, I bought the Cararra versions years ago. They rendered no problem but did take some time. Daz would have crashed for sure on my computer.
  • wowie said:

Thank you for your input. I suppose in my case, I would be best off rendering an HDR background such as Yosemite and then render layers of houses cars people with a shadow catcher to put together in post production.
  • Saphirewild, you are off the hook. No test render required.
This discussion has been closed.