Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Sven, The water looks okay in all three versions you did. Depends on if it is coral or murky or time of day / year or even location on the planet.

Yes you're absolutely right, change the environment or sky and it's a totally new deal;)

I think water is what slows down a render.

Well yeah, reflection and refraction needs a lot of processing power,  with AweSurface it's pretty easy to optimize every surface in that aspect (limit the number of specular bounces for example), with the default 3DL it's all about fiddling with pixel samples, raytrace depth and shading rate to try and keep rendering times down:) Well progressive is of course an option. And the AoA lights are still very useful in many cases in my opinion.

My shoreline took 30 minutes to do.

Was that with the included lighting? UE2 environment light?

What are the blue scratches in the rocks?

Hey that's a good question:) It must be some specular settings I think, will check it out.

What is RTFM?

Lol, Read The F****** Manuallaugh

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Ok, here it is, 2 days 3 hours and some minutes laterlaugh,crazy stuff LOL, glad it's over. 27 arealights...

That's... a feat.

Please tell me you used primitive planes to approx those lamps.

Actually I did not, I used 8-sided spheres to get the "pointlight" effect. So that's a lot of polys in total, yeah. I saw your post in the commercial thread about tilted cubes, will try to swap the spheres for tilted cubes when I have recovered from that render=) I also could try to reduce specular bounces for the shiny stuff, and maybe lower some settings in the render tab. Will render settings override surface settings? 

I hope those spheres weren't subdivided =)))) Well I guess they weren't, or there would have been a lot of noise.

Oh man, I'll need to check again to be sure, but your best bet is to lower specular depth per-surface (shouldn't be that hard to select them using those tricks we spoke about in the laboratory thread). I guess 4 should be enough for metals, and for rough stuff I use just 1. 

With all the optimisations aweSurface has going on, though, this may or may not be able to shave off much time.

You could also always try and cap the total raytrace depth in the render settings to something like 4, again, and try excluding metals from GI.

The only other setting that may affect render times is pixel samples. How high was it set?

I think the water looked nicer in the first version though.

Water's always tricky. Sometimes you take a photo, and it doesn't look convincing enough...

Are you using absorption on water, BTW?

Kettu, Thank you for the explainations. I'll see how much I could absorb and use. Tamper is a good definition. I prefer experiment with or also it is like a monkey playing around with something trying to figure it out and when it breaks, get angry and shove the broken item in soiled diapers, flinging that at the observation window where the doctors and nurses are standing.

You're welcome, and thank you for explaining =)

edited October 2018

Ok, here it is, 2 days 3 hours and some minutes laterlaugh,crazy stuff LOL, glad it's over. 27 arealights...

That's... a feat.

Please tell me you used primitive planes to approx those lamps.

Actually I did not, I used 8-sided spheres to get the "pointlight" effect. So that's a lot of polys in total, yeah. I saw your post in the commercial thread about tilted cubes, will try to swap the spheres for tilted cubes when I have recovered from that render=) I also could try to reduce specular bounces for the shiny stuff, and maybe lower some settings in the render tab. Will render settings override surface settings? 

I hope those spheres weren't subdivided =)))) Well I guess they weren't, or there would have been a lot of noise.

No they were at basic rez.

Oh man, I'll need to check again to be sure, but your best bet is to lower specular depth per-surface (shouldn't be that hard to select them using those tricks we spoke about in the laboratory thread). I guess 4 should be enough for metals, and for rough stuff I use just 1. 

With all the optimisations aweSurface has going on, though, this may or may not be able to shave off much time.

You could also always try and cap the total raytrace depth in the render settings to something like 4, again, and try excluding metals from GI.

Tks that's about what I figured;) I didn't try excluding the metal from GI, that may have an impact.

The only other setting that may affect render times is pixel samples. How high was it set?

I think 10x10, that's what I usually use, sure, 8x8 should be enough.

I think the water looked nicer in the first version though.

Water's always tricky. Sometimes you take a photo, and it doesn't look convincing enough...

Are you using absorption on water, BTW?

Yup, that's just super cool! Experimenting with that and using opacity together with transmission right now, render coming up soonsmiley (read Daz - soon)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited October 2018

Added some stuff, changed the HDRI( still by agent unawares, tks) optimized surfaces, rendertime 32 min

THE SECLUDED SHORELINE AWE3.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
  • whoa nice! probably put ship further in distance so it doesn't get stuck in sand. add a row boat where the ship is to come ashore.
    whoa nice! probably put ship further in distance so it doesn't get stuck in sand. add a row boat where the ship is to come ashore.

Shallow waters eh? Nah it would fall over the world's edgesurprise Rowboat is a good idea, and then the babes waiting ashore of course;)

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited October 2018

If you have that many area lights, your best bet to cut render times is to turn off reflections on parts you can get away with. The base glass and metal presets should already turn off diffuse which also turn off GI for that surface. I actually never tried using trace sets to exclude metal/glass from GI though, since my render times generally falling around 20 minutes with 8x8 pixel samples. That will be around 1 hour when I render with 16x16 pixel samples.

Looking at the render, I would say the culprit are the area lights on the chandelier. I did run into a similar issue when rendering one of the promos. Originally, I used cylinders, but found the render times were really, really long with high pixel samples (at one point, it didn't finish even at 12 hours).

Then I substituted them to single poly planes and render times went down by a lot. In the end, I used a single emitter, instanced the emitter to 'fake' a point light with 360 degree spread. With the instanced parented to the original emitter, I simply populate the scene with more instances organized in the same way.

Finished scene.

Final render time - 1 hour 34 minutes.

I did export the 'Joy' model to Hexagon and hand optimize the model to get away with as low polycount as I can get away with while retaining the shape.

If you do have to use complex shapes on a light source, just use the AWE Environment Sphere shader. Since it's just an ambient surface, it won't have the performance impact of a path traced area light shader. If you need the ambient to 'emit' more light, place a texture on it and use gain/exposure to raise the luminance.

Btw, Sven - that's a wickedly good render.

point light emitters.jpg
    1366 x 616 - 160K
    Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

If you have that many area lights, your best bet to cut render times is to turn off reflections on parts you can get away with. The base glass and metal presets should already turn off diffuse which also turn off GI for that surface.

I hadn't realized diffuse off turned off GI, tks for that! And that scene can obviously be optimized in many ways, learning the hard way as alwayssmiley

wowie said:

I actually never tried using trace sets to exclude metal/glass from GI though, since my render times generally falling around 20 minutes with 8x8 pixel samples. That will be around 1 hour when I render with 16x16 pixel samples.

Looking at the render, I would say the culprit are the area lights on the chandelier.

You are probably right, 12 spheres with 8 sides each.

wowie said:

I did run into a similar issue when rendering one of the promos. Originally, I used cylinders, but found the render times was really, really long with high pixel samples (at one point, it didn't finish even at 12 hours).

Then I substituted them to single poly planes and render times went down by a lot. In the end, I used a single emitter, instanced the emitter to 'fake' a point light with 360 degree spread. With the instanced parented to the original emitter, I simply populate the scene with more instances organized in the same way.

Finished scene.

Final render time - 1 hour 34 minutes.

One note though. I did export the 'Joy' model to Hexagon and hand optimize the model to get away with as low polycount as I can get away with while retaining the shape.

Ok so I'll try the planes, thank you! Just love your stuff, will keep me busy for a long timesmiley

@wowie

I guess this is a matter of personal taste, but I kind of wish the specular 2 color default value would be mid gray, or atleast not pure white. But I may change my mind when I get a better understanding of everything;)

Which I guess brings me to reasoning of my insanity. Putting me or other real life objects into the 3D world. Perhaps adding parallax effects with it.

Darn I somehow missed these, love the interior lighting in that first one! Very nice, mate!

Kettu, Thank you for the explainations. I'll see how much I could absorb and use. Tamper is a good definition. I prefer experiment with or also it is like a monkey playing around with something trying to figure it out and when it breaks, get angry and shove the broken item in soiled diapers, flinging that at the observation window where the doctors and nurses are standing.

LOL, you should render it out, I can see the whole thing clearlylaugh

edited October 2018

@wowie

I guess this is a matter of personal taste, but I kind of wish the specular 2 color default value would be mid gray, or atleast not pure white. But I may change my mind when I get a better understanding of everything;)

That would render very dim when rendering metals. Unless you change it back to the proper color.

I think if you apply the 3delight dsDefaultMaterial first, the specular color defaults to grey, which would be retained by the conversion process. There is another alternative, if you don't mind opening up the .dsa Params file in your DS app folder. You can actually change the default shader values.

Find aweSurfaceParams.dsa in this folder - C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\scripts\support\wowie\Surface

Make a backup copy. wink

Open it up in Wordpad or a tex editor, preferably one that's friendly to writing code.

Go to the end of the file and you'll see a code block starting with - function buildShaderProperties()

Now, it's just a matter of changing the values. For example, if you want to change the color of the 2nd specular lobe, it'll be in this line.

addColorProperty( "Base/Specular", "Specular 2 Color", "Specular 2 Color", "Specular2Color", new Color (255,255,255), undefined, false, false, undefined, undefined );

Change (255,255,255), to the color of your liking. Save the file and that's it.

Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

@wowie

That would render very dim when rendering metals. Unless you change it back to the proper color.

I think if you apply the 3delight dsDefaultMaterial first, the specular color defaults to grey, which would be retained by the conversion process. There is another alternative, if you don't mind opening up the .dsa Params file in your DS app folder. You can actually change the default shader values.

Find aweSurfaceParams.dsa in this folder - C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\scripts\support\wowie\Surface

Make a backup copy. wink

Open it up in Wordpad or a tex editor, preferably one that's friendly to writing code.

Go to the end of the file and you'll see a code block starting with - function buildShaderProperties()

Now, it's just a matter of changing the values. For example, if you want to change the color of the 2nd specular lobe, it'll be in this line.

addColorProperty( "Base/Specular", "Specular 2 Color", "Specular 2 Color", "Specular2Color", new Color (255,255,255), undefined, false, false, undefined, undefined );

Change (255,255,255), to the color of your liking. Save the file and that's it.

Tks wowie, good to know! As I said this is all new, I'll give it some more testing before doing anything "radical"=)

Added some stuff, changed the HDRI( still by agent unawares, tks) optimized surfaces, rendertime 32 min

The water looks right closer to the horizon, but closer to the shore it seems to retain the same high reflectivity and ends up almost like mercury. What about the Fresnel settings you're using there?

The water looks right closer to the horizon, but closer to the shore it seems to retain the same high reflectivity and ends up almost like mercury. What about the Fresnel settings you're using there?

Yes you're right, don't recall the settings, but the mercury effect is kind of coolblush. Tks for pointing that out, will have to play with fresnel a bit more;)

Yes you're right, don't recall the settings, but the mercury effect is kind of coolblush. Tks for pointing that out, will have to play with fresnel a bit more;)

It is, so you may want to save that for an alien planet... =))

edited October 2018

Ok so I revisited an old scene and followed wowie's advice when converting it to aweSurface. There are two emissive planes for each light in the scene, 24 in total. Rendertime 1h 35min. Awesomelaugh

Steampunk Tavern awe.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M

Sweet =)

edited October 2018

Noticed some black spots on the jacket, maybe some bad normals, added some translucency to mask it a little;)

Oh I forgot there is a "force face forward" option to force normals to face the camera, should have tried that, but translucency was a nice touch anyway;)

And regarding the opacity settings, wowie said this in the user guide:

Opacity Optimization

You can find this in the Opacity section of the shader. The slider controls the level of optimization used by the

shader. Only applicable when a texture is used. Defaults to 90% for aggressive optimization. A value of 0

(zero) uses minimal optimization, while 100% will use very aggressive optimization.

The Opacity Filter values allows you to fine tune the threshold values for determining opacity values to be

discarded or used. Generally, values below the values chosen will be regarded as fully transparent. The

Opacity Filter 2 value determines the minimum amount of opacity to be used.

So 90% optimization is pretty aggressive. So if I got this right with the filters, if an opacity map is properly done and is not causing any artifacts, the filters are not needed. As I understand the Opacity filter 2, if I increase this, it causes otherwise transparent areas to be visible, making strands look thicker. Please correct me if I got it wrong! And too much of all that will make the hair look like casette tapedevil

Back to the Woods awe 1.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    Back to the Woods awe 2.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    edited October 2018

...and close-up...46min. No depth of field, blurred the HDRI a bit...

Back to the Woods awe 3.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
  • GoneGone Posts: 833

So, what exactly are you doing with the hair? Every hair I've converted comes out looking like plastic.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Nice ones, Sven!

edited October 2018
    Gone said:

So, what exactly are you doing with the hair? Every hair I've converted comes out looking like plastic.

For this one I think I turned off the opacity optimizing and the opacity filters completely, with the default settings it looked terrible. I also increased specular2 roughness a good bit. Made spec2 color a bit darker than 255,255,255. Yeah hair seems to be something you need to tweak a bit before you get it to cooperate, personally I find the 90% opacity optimization default setting to be too aggressive for the small number of hairs I've tried to convert so far. Still learning about all this new stuff;)

hacsart said:

Nice ones, Sven!

Tks mate:)

• GoneGone Posts: 833

So --- turn OFF optimization. Going to have to try that. I've been going at it the other way around.

And, yeah, all your pics look great. Maybe someday I can make something that looks decent.

Gone said:

So --- turn OFF optimization. Going to have to try that. I've been going at it the other way around.

Hehe yeah this is still a gray area for me too, it's been mostly trial and error thus far, I really need to take a closer look at the filters and what they do, although wowie's documentation is very good and I know it in theory I still need to actually see what's happening when moving a slider. So spotrender is very useful atm;)

Gone said:

And, yeah, all your pics look great. Maybe someday I can make something that looks decent.

You're way too kind but I appreciate itsmiley. I by no means consider myself an artist, more of a monkey in front of a typewriter, you know the story, maybe if I render a zillion images... and so on...laugh

edited October 2018

For this one I think I turned off the opacity optimizing and the opacity filters completely, with the default settings it looked terrible.

The defaults works best on 'generic' surfaces - mostly clothing and similar items. I posted this in the other thread but here goes. What you want to do is fiddle with the filter values, but actually raise optimization rate to 100%.

I've been using these values recently and they work pretty nice on a variety of hair I have. Opacity Filter 1 50%, Opacity Filter 2 72.5%.

Default values - 2 minutes 32.17 seconds

100% optimizations, Filter 1 50%, Filter 2 72.5% - 1 minutes 53.18 seconds

No Optimizations (filter values are ignored) - 15 minutes 13.81 seconds

From the renders, you can see it produces a much softer, similar to what you get with less or no optimizations. Since optimizations are at 100%, it actually renders a bit faster than default values. Especially if you use reflections and/or subsurface with hair.

Each opacity mask also tends to vary from one hair prop to the next, so you may have to tweak those values from hair to hair. As you can see, the scalp actually does looks better with zero optimizations. I'd recommend tuning the filter values in IPR. Since you probably need faster render times when doing so, turn off reflections and SSS on the hair. If you have any lights, you can probably turn off global illumination too. You can still toggle them on/off during IPR.

1 50, 2 75 1 minutes 53.18 seconds.jpg
    462 x 600 - 135K
    default values 2 minutes 32.17 seconds.jpg
    462 x 600 - 135K
    zero opt 15 minutes 13.81 seconds.jpg
    462 x 600 - 133K
    default 1 minutes 6.59 seconds.jpg
    462 x 600 - 128K
    1 50, 2 75 1 minutes 9.76 seconds.jpg
    462 x 600 - 127K
    1 50, 2 85 1 minutes 13.92 seconds.jpg
    462 x 600 - 126K
    1 minutes 41.54 seconds.jpg
    462 x 600 - 141K
    1 minutes 20.33 seconds.jpg
    462 x 600 - 141K
    Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

For this one I think I turned off the opacity optimizing and the opacity filters completely, with the default settings it looked terrible.

The defaults works best on 'generic' surfaces - mostly clothing and similar items. I posted this in the other thread but here goes. What you want to do is fiddle with the filter values, but actually raise optimization rate to 100%.

Really? Hmm, it was at 90 and looked really bad, I set everything to zero and it started looking the way I had imagined. Ok now I'm confused, back to testing...

wowie said:

I've been using these values recently and they work pretty nice on a variety of hair I have. Opacity Filter 1 50%, Opacity Filter 2 72.5%.

Since optimizations are at 100%, it actually renders a bit faster than default values. From the renders, you can see it produces a much softer look. Probaby not a good idea to use on clothing, since that would probably make them very sheer looking. Unless that's the look you want.

Each opacity mask also tends to vary from one hair prop to the next, so you may have to tweak those values from hair to hair. As you can see, the scalp actually looks better with zero optimizations.

Tks wowie for the heads up! I'll report my findings over here for sure;)

So 90% optimization is pretty aggressive. So if I got this right with the filters, if an opacity map is properly done and is not causing any artifacts, the filters are not needed. As I understand the Opacity filter 2, if I increase this, it causes otherwise transparent areas to be visible, making strands look thicker. Please correct me if I got it wrong! And too much of all that will make the hair look like casette tapedevil

So I apparently got it wrong all the same;) Optimization at 100 seems to be the word, you were on the right track then, Gone:)

edited October 2018

@wowie

Did some testing with your settings, it seems to work quite well, as you said;) What obviously does NOT work is having optimization at 100% and the filters at zero.

This is with no filters and optimization at 100:

And this is with your settings, optimization 100 filter1 50 and filter2 72.5:

Still think this one looks the best, the original with everything at zero, personal taste maybe, I dunno.

Well this is interesting, so many possibilitys with your stuff, to be continued...

HAIRTEST AWE OPT 100 OF1 0 OF2 0.png
    1800 x 1013 - 5M
    HAIRTEST AWE OPT 100 OF1 50 OF2 72.5.png
    1800 x 1013 - 1M

Yeah, it is pretty complex. Sometimes even I have a hard time understanding exactly how it works. laugh

Did some testing with your settings, it seems to work quite well, as you said;) What obviously does NOT work is having optimization at 100% and the filters at zero.

Works for hair, but I did run into problems applying those values to cloth. Hence, the default values which results in very solid output.

This discussion has been closed.