Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited October 2018

I'm glad to see that there are still people using 3delight. I put this together a few months ago.

Med.jpg
    650 x 500 - 281K
    Post edited by BradCarsten on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Yes I am sure glad to be using 3Delight because if I couldn't I would be sitting here with nothing to do because IRay is not nice with laptops!!!

• My first test of awe(some!) surface, in true mix and match mode.  Skin shaders are the awe surface genesis preset - nothing changed.  M5 with lots of custom dials spun.  Hair is the awesurface hair preset #2 (for darker hair).   (Jaime hair, by Raiya I think.  Comes with the character.)  Genesis Supersuit using the awe fabric preset, nothing changed.  I'm using an "HDRI" (lol) which is really a 180 Panorama taken from my DJI Spark.  I'm using wowie's awePT emitter to illuminate the face a little bit - the scene lighting is right around sunset, otherwise you wouldnt really be able to see the characters face.  I am rendering this using Parris IBL Master Environment light.  I'll play with wowie's environment light tomorrow (i'm still in love with delightGI and am having a hard time letting go....) I still haven't gotten around to loading GIMP on my laptop, so I apologize for the pokethrough and small render errors.

Nightwing Preset.png
    494 x 800 - 467K
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

I'll play with wowie's environment light tomorrow (i'm still in love with delightGI and am having a hard time letting go....) I still haven't gotten around to loading GIMP on my laptop, so I apologize for the pokethrough and small render errors.

So, you have mustakettu's DelightGI? Technically, it's using the same raytracing framework AWE Surface is using.

As DelightGI is a light shader, so it should work with any surface. AWE Surface implements it's own GI, so generally speaking you should only use one (DelightGI or AWE Surface's own GI).

AWE Surface adds Russian roulette with extra optimizations, while DelightGI is a faithful implementation of GI as it is done in 3delight material(s). I haven't done a comparison recently, but when I tried integrating GI into AWE surface, my GI code runs a bit faster than DelightGI.

One of the reasons I opted to implement GI inside a surface shader is that I can optimize diffuse rays on glass and metals. This avoids shooting excessive bounce rays on those since they won't contribute to the scene.

Like UE2, DelightGI is also an IBL light. So if you plug a HDRI to it, you would still get lighting on an empty scene (without an environment sphere). AWE Surface's GI needs actual objects/environment sphere.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

I'll play with wowie's environment light tomorrow (i'm still in love with delightGI and am having a hard time letting go....)

What Wowie says *nods*. Conceptually the systems are pretty different. So it's one or the other.

You could theoretically run DelightGI and turn off per-surface GI on aweSurface, but you will still need the environment sphere (for reflections and environment lighting). And then you are pretty much bound to lose performance in DelightGI.

What is perfectly mixable, though, is awePT lights and my shaders.

Absolutely! THANKS Kettu for helping out so many times and for all the work you've done to help users get the most out of 3Delight! And for being straight and honest too, I value that a lotsmiley

Thank you!

Gotta be straight and honest, you know what Russia is like - all those ushanka-wearing bears who drink vodka and dance under cranberry trees, they sense it very well when you are being evasive. And you don't want to disappoint a Russian bear... just imagine a bear crying, it's too much to bear =D

Heheh, now it all makes sense to me, tks for sharingsmiley! I'm glad you felt the way you felt, back then:)

=D

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...so how does it work with IBL Master?

Apologies for all the silly questions here.

• kyoto kid said:

Not a silly question at all! However, I've only done the one render with the Awe Shading kit - so far, I'm happy with the results.  I want to try a new scene fully setup with Awe surface and light shaders - I'll post that tomorrow.

To Wowie - I'm thrilled that you've developed this kit and I'm excited to play with it some more! Since you listed it as a version1.0, this implies that there may be a 1.5 or even a version 2. I can't wait - I'm happy to see 3Delight development going on.  

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

My first test of awe(some!) surface, in true mix and match mode.  Skin shaders are the awe surface genesis preset - nothing changed.  M5 with lots of custom dials spun.  Hair is the awesurface hair preset #2 (for darker hair).   (Jaime hair, by Raiya I think.  Comes with the character.)  Genesis Supersuit using the awe fabric preset, nothing changed.  I'm using an "HDRI" (lol) which is really a 180 Panorama taken from my DJI Spark.  I'm using wowie's awePT emitter to illuminate the face a little bit - the scene lighting is right around sunset, otherwise you wouldnt really be able to see the characters face.  I am rendering this using Parris IBL Master Environment light.  I'll play with wowie's environment light tomorrow (i'm still in love with delightGI and am having a hard time letting go....) I still haven't gotten around to loading GIMP on my laptop, so I apologize for the pokethrough and small render errors.

Nice! Tks for the heads up on IBLM, haven't tried combining them yet, very interesting!

Absolutely! THANKS Kettu for helping out so many times and for all the work you've done to help users get the most out of 3Delight! And for being straight and honest too, I value that a lotsmiley

Thank you!

Gotta be straight and honest, you know what Russia is like - all those ushanka-wearing bears who drink vodka and dance under cranberry trees, they sense it very well when you are being evasive. And you don't want to disappoint a Russian bear... just imagine a bear crying, it's too much to bear =D

Yeah, I've witnessed a fair number of crying Finnish bears, terrible stuff, I tell yousurprise

I'm glad to see that there are still people using 3delight. I put this together a few months ago.

Looks very nice, well done! I did check out your book covers, btw, great stuff!

kyoto kid said:

If you turn the aweSurface GI off, then you can use IBL Master or even UE2 or AoA Ambient - to get AO. // which, in 2018, is mostly only useful for animations //

If you don't turn GI off on aweSurface, you should not use any of these. Because an "AO pass", so to speak, is already included in actual GI.

edited October 2018
    To Wowie - I'm thrilled that you've developed this kit and I'm excited to play with it some more! Since you listed it as a version1.0, this implies that there may be a 1.5 or even a version 2. I can't wait - I'm happy to see 3Delight development going on.  

Point number releases will be bug fixes and feature addtions like a new shader catcher material, camera based exposure controls (f-stop, ISO and aperture) which came up on the AWE Shading Kit thread, One I haven't worked out yet is iray Uber conversion, that one came up in the 3delight laboratory thread.

Post edited by wowie on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833

So, here's the difference.

AWE shaders - brass letters on chrome plane.

One is lit by AWE environment shere with the default iRay hdr. The other has GI turned off on the surfaces and is lit with the default IBLM.

I'll leave it to you to figure out which is which -- or you can just look at the file names. :)

Awesome.jpg
    800 x 450 - 30K
    IBLMAwesome.jpg
    800 x 450 - 31K
  • nattaruknattaruk Posts: 532

Another of my attempts at mimicing Black & White photography.

Title: Eye 2 I

Alexandra 8 and Delphi hair. Toning and grain added with the Gimp.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Fooling around with lights.

Must try the awe shaders some day. They look awesoms and even though I experiment with iray from time to time, I'm still addicted to 3DL.

wowie said:

Point number releases will be bug fixes and feature addtions like a new shader catcher material, camera based exposure controls (f-stop, ISO and aperture) which came up on the AWE Shading Kit thread, One I haven't worked out yet is iray Uber conversion, that one came up in the 3delight laboratory thread.

Hm, I noticed when converting IRay to AweSurface that all emissive colors will go black (0, 0, 0). Not a big problem when you know about it, but it kind of adds to the workloadwink. Also you apparently cannot use backdrops (in the environment pane), those settings are ignored. And yesterday when I took on the task of converting some of my environmental subsets to AweSurface, suddenly all emissive surfaces showed as red or orange in the renders, I tried everything from reloading stuff to rage quitting and re booting, nothing helped. I then took a break and when returning to DS after some time everything was just finesurprise, go figure...

Gone said:

So, here's the difference.

AWE shaders - brass letters on chrome plane.

One is lit by AWE environment shere with the default iRay hdr. The other has GI turned off on the surfaces and is lit with the default IBLM.

I'll leave it to you to figure out which is which -- or you can just look at the file names. :)

Tks Gone for that, quite a difference;)

nattaruk said:

Another of my attempts at mimicing Black & White photography.

Title: Eye 2 I

Alexandra 8 and Delphi hair. Toning and grain added with the Gimp.

Sweet!

mori_mann said:

Fooling around with lights.

Must try the awe shaders some day. They look awesoms and even though I experiment with iray from time to time, I'm still addicted to 3DL.

Nice one! I'd love to take a sip of that tincture=)

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

3delight with a bit of postwork.

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Important followup on my previous post.

When I did the IBLM render, I switched to the default 3dl engine assuming that was required.

Turns out, IBLM works just fine with the scripted final render -- and the shadow catcher works! laugh 

Also, I didn't turn off GI in this render and it doesn't seem to have had any negative effect. I didn't time it, but I'm pretty sure IBLM ran faster in the scripted render.

NewIBLMAwesome.jpg
    800 x 450 - 73K

3delight with a bit of postwork.

I like it:)

Gone said:

Important followup on my previous post.

When I did the IBLM render, I switched to the default 3dl engine assuming that was required.

Turns out, IBLM works just fine with the scripted final render -- and the shadow catcher works! laugh 

Also, I didn't turn off GI in this render and it doesn't seem to have had any negative effect. I didn't time it, but I'm pretty sure IBLM ran faster in the scripted render.

Tks Gone! Most interesting!

edited October 2018

Found the restricted corridor in my runtime, so I converted the IRay mats to AWE as a test, and, as always, one thing led to anotherindecision

Vlad and the Cleaning Dude AWE.png
    1800 x 1013 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited October 2018
    mori_mann said:

AWE Surface is free, for personal and commercial use. You don't need to buy the commercial pack to try it out.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/277581/awe-surface-shader-a-new-physically-plausible-shader-for-daz-studio-and-3delight

Hm, I noticed when converting IRay to AweSurface that all emissive colors will go black (0, 0, 0). Not a big problem when you know about it, but it kind of adds to the workload.

Hmm. Is that when you changed AWE Surface back to DS Uber? I pitched an idea of partial uber to AWE Surface conversion support in the 3delight lab thread. I think it might be possible to retain emissive color/textures if I add the relevant field to AWE Surface parameters. They will be hidden and ignored completely by the actual shader during rendering, but in theory, you should be able to retain the values.

Also you apparently cannot use backdrops (in the environment pane), those settings are ignored.

It is one of the disadvantages of using the scripted renderer. For 3delight, this is done via imager shaders. It might be possible to cobble up a camera/imager shader combo as a workaround, particularly since I've found the RI Spec example shader in Shader Builder works with the scripted renderer.

Right now, I'm focusing on the shadow catcher. The older build works, but the shadows will disappear if you use anything less that 100% shadow intensity (on the point/spot/distant lights). Tinkered around a bit and now it works 'better'. Rendered shadows will honor changes to shadow intensity, but it can look weird seeing what's supposed to be dark areas look lit. Mustakettu have send me her HDRI shadow catcher, but I might just go with my own for the update.

Post edited by wowie on
  • Just catching up reading the past seven pages. Beautiful renders everyone! Thumbs up for Sven on his animation walk and for Ivy on her animation of the mouse.
  • A composit and JPG export. I should have chosen a model who is looking behind her at the car.
    Daz3D 3Delight After Effects Final Cut Pro.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 601K
    wowie said:
    mori_mann said:

AWE Surface is free, for personal and commercial use. You don't need to buy the commercial pack to try it out.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/277581/awe-surface-shader-a-new-physically-plausible-shader-for-daz-studio-and-3delight

Hm, I noticed when converting IRay to AweSurface that all emissive colors will go black (0, 0, 0). Not a big problem when you know about it, but it kind of adds to the workload.

Hmm. Is that when you changed AWE Surface back to DS Uber? I pitched an idea of partial uber to AWE Surface conversion support in the 3delight lab thread. I think it might be possible to retain emissive color/textures if I add the relevant field to AWE Surface parameters. They will be hidden and ignored completely by the actual shader during rendering, but in theory, you should be able to retain the values.

Also you apparently cannot use backdrops (in the environment pane), those settings are ignored.

It is one of the disadvantages of using the scripted renderer. For 3delight, this is done via imager shaders. It might be possible to cobble up a camera/imager shader combo as a workaround, particularly since I've found the RI Spec example shader in Shader Builder works with the scripted renderer.

Right now, I'm focusing on the shadow catcher. The older build works, but the shadows will disappear if you use anything less that 100% shadow intensity (on the point/spot/distant lights). Tinkered around a bit and now it works 'better'. Rendered shadows will honor changes to shadow intensity, but it can look weird seeing what's supposed to be dark areas look lit. Mustakettu have send me her HDRI shadow catcher, but I might just go with my own for the update.

Tks wowie for the info! I have to take a closer look at a couple of things, there's so much new to learn, and enjoying every minute;) I'll share my findings as soon as they make sense to melaugh

Just catching up reading the past seven pages. Beautiful renders everyone! Thumbs up for Sven on his animation walk and for Ivy on her animation of the mouse.

Tks mate and good to see you! Yeah things are happening fast now all of a sudden, wowie and Kettu re-invented 3Delight LOL.

A composit and JPG export. I should have chosen a model who is looking behind her at the car.

Very nice;) Hm you might be right thoughsmiley

edited October 2018

Yet some more stuff I didn't know I owned=) the Steampunk Gatehouse I think it was called. These rendered in about 1h 40m with pretty high render settings, probably overkill but I didn't get any noticeable noisecool

THE STEAMPUNK GATEHOUSE2 AWE.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    edited October 2018

..and next one...

THE STEAMPUNK GATEHOUSE3 AWE.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
  • Well I will have to watch more of wowie and Kettu. Quite exciting yes. Lovely night time renders.
  • Some more renders of backgrounds but this time without fog. I thought this FirstBastion set was fun because of all the faces in the rocks. I see at least seven faces at first glance. The water rendered very quickly too.
    Secluded Shoreline C1 3DL 30m21s.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.