Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Some more renders of backgrounds but this time without fog. I thought this FirstBastion set was fun because of all the faces in the rocks. I see at least seven faces at first glance. The water rendered very quickly too.

Lol I've seen all kinds of faces too, very nice render!

edited October 2018

Ludwig vancool

Ludwig van.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited October 2018

...and testing some more shaderwork...and some...laugh

THE WASP ON PATROL AWE.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
  • I like the photos infinit. Also the personal photos on the wall are a nice touch. The one below, are you planning on making a movie regarding the alien? This looks good.
  • timeofftimeoff Posts: 49

Some more renders of backgrounds but this time without fog. I thought this FirstBastion set was fun because of all the faces in the rocks. I see at least seven faces at first glance. The water rendered very quickly too.

It's a great set that one, nicely done.

Nice Ludwig van there Sven. Fun to see all those renders popping out now...

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

I never noticed it before,  I do see the old lady profile on the cliff corner now that you mention it.  Anyone willing to point out some of the other ones?  Mind posting this in the my commercial thread too.

• edited October 2018
    Makes me feel like a kid again with imagination as I look up at the clouds and see faces. Even looking at the shadows of the leaves on ground. With just the right persective and lighting it becomes an Ansel Adams shot.

Interesting that the face even has gender. Okay, next to your old lady is a man wearing a turban and has a beard. He is looking downward at the sand and water. I should use Reallusion CrazyTalk to make all the faces talk. Ve have vays of making zem talk ;)

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Gone said:

Also, I didn't turn off GI in this render and it doesn't seem to have had any negative effect.

In a "normal" scene, you'd get like twice the AO if you keep GI on. Extra dark soft shadows from the environment, that sort of thing.

It may work if you're trying for a "somewhat NPR" look, but otherwise, GI without AO is good enough =)

Gone said:
    I didn't time it, but I'm pretty sure IBLM ran faster in the scripted render.

Might very well be if your vanilla render tab didn't have "progressive" on. Then DS uses the ancient REYES module, and it's not good for raytracing.

The script, however, will always use the dedicated raytracer, progressive or not.

wowie and Kettu re-invented 3Delight LOL

I wish LOL

It's all about just making the right tools finally available. Stuff that should've been there since... well you get the drift.

The reinvention is all in the hands of the actual 3Delight devs, known as Illumination Research now... ahh the newest stuff. If only we could get _that_ into DS without having our brains explode =)

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    Gone said:

Also, I didn't turn off GI in this render and it doesn't seem to have had any negative effect.

In a "normal" scene, you'd get like twice the AO if you keep GI on. Extra dark soft shadows from the environment, that sort of thing.

It may work if you're trying for a "somewhat NPR" look, but otherwise, GI without AO is good enough =)

Gone said:

Might very well be if your vanilla render tab didn't have "progressive" on. Then DS uses the ancient REYES module, and it's not good for raytracing.

The script, however, will always use the dedicated raytracer, progressive or not.

Indeed, progressive was NOT turned on. I am one of those where progressive flies through the first 74% then hits a brick wall. On average, progressive takes about 4 times longer to finish than regular. So I use progressive for a quick preview but do the final render without progressive.

The scriped renderer doesn't have this problem but, unfortunately, it does not play well with the Garibaldi hair.

edited October 2018
    Gone said:
    Gone said:

Gone said:

Indeed, progressive was NOT turned on. I am one of those where progressive flies through the first 74% then hits a brick wall. On average, progressive takes about 4 times longer to finish than regular. So I use progressive for a quick preview but do the final render without progressive.

The scriped renderer doesn't have this problem but, unfortunately, it does not play well with the Garibaldi hair.

Interesting, for me when using IBLM, progressive is about 3 times faster than the vanilla. With AweSurface the difference is minimal ,(with scripted rendering of course) but the first progressive render passes are blistering fast;)

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Just to be clear, progresive is an issue no matter what lighting I use -- even if it is just the headlamp. The first 74% is lightning fast, the remaining 26% is glacier slow.

It doesn't matter what is in the scene - even if it is just a cube primitive with nothing else. No idea why this is happening but no progressive for me. :(

Gone said:

Just to be clear, progresive is an issue no matter what lighting I use -- even if it is just the headlamp. The first 74% is lightning fast, the remaining 26% is glacier slow.

It doesn't matter what is in the scene - even if it is just a cube primitive with nothing else. No idea why this is happening but no progressive for me. :(

Hm I've heared other people saying just that, in my experience progressive is slower if there aren't any reflective or refractive stuff that requires raytracing, otherwise it's usually a tad faster. (Not true for scripted rendering). I'm a Mac user, wonder if this can be hardware related?

So scripted rendering does not support rendering with a backdrop, and motion blur doesn't work either, so can AweSurface be used with the vanilla renderer? And in that case, what shadingrate and raytrace depth and so on should I use for best results? Guess I have to do some testing, but if someone already did, please share;)

motion blur doesn't work either

It does. You just set it up in the vanilla render settings tab.

what shadingrate 

Please don't.

You will waste a lot of time trying and will likely not be able to achieve equivalent quality when rendering with vanilla.

Those backdrops are honestly not worth it. Even in animation, it would be way faster to composite a backdrop to an alpha-enabled render. 

Gone said:

It's true. You need to follow a very precise series of steps to get the curves to render. 

I have not been able to get in touch with the author of Garibaldi. Later I learnt that even DAZ were not able to - when they ran out of serial numbers.

Which is a shame.

motion blur doesn't work either

It does. You just set it up in the vanilla render settings tab.

what shadingrate 

Please don't.

You will waste a lot of time trying and will likely not be able to achieve equivalent quality when rendering with vanilla.

Those backdrops are honestly not worth it. Even in animation, it would be way faster to composite a backdrop to an alpha-enabled render. 

Tks Kettu! Have to try that! I think I already did, but maybe I just need to increase the amount. Oh now I remember, I had it enabled on this https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/1a/45503fe33b0c5bfebe9b098849b6c0.png render, maybe there is a slight blur if you look closely? Will have to revisit that one.

Ok promise, no vanilla renderinglaugh, I just thought I might have to, if motion blur doesn't work;)

• Where is this scripted render thingy?
    edited October 2018
    Where is this scripted render thingy?

In the render settings tab, you choose scripted 3DL instead of 3DL. The Raytracer script comes with wowie's AweSurface so go get it;)

Hm I believe the correct term is diffuse ray caching?

• Where do I get that? Now I know who Kettu is. Which one is Wowie?
    Where do I get that? Now I know who Kettu is. Which one is Wowie?

It's in the store: https://www.daz3d.com/aweshading-kit-10-for-daz-studio

• Okay thank you. I've usually been lost in these postings. Hopefully on the same page now. When I render in 3DL I usually use 4 lights (3 point lighting plus a forth to act as bounce off the ground). One of which is Raytraced. Always using progressive rendering. If any of you are using this set Divided Highway and have the Wowie or Kettu scripts, could you do a render and post for comparison? Also how long it took to render. I don't add anything to my sets. It's just a background and I tend to do about 8 to 12 renders from different angles and time of day. Later render various props one at a time with alpha channel visible to layer for animation in my editor. Anyway this took 10 minutes just for this render on my old pc daz 4.6. Otherwise I have been using Luxrender.
  • 10 minute render.
    Divided Highway C5 3DL 10m.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

I'd be happy to help but I don't have that particular set. I think I could render that in 15 - 30 min with AweSurface, still have to learn how to optimize surfaces and rendersettings...so only guessing.

But I have the secluded shoreline, I could make a render of the basic set with one of the included camera angles and just convert to Awe and use a HDRI or a single arealight. But I have a "testrender" cooking atm, it's been going for 17 h 16 min and is at 82% LOL cryinglaugh. So I'm off to launch the beta and make some dForce simulation just because I'm bored... I'll be backsmiley

Oh by the way, that render looks very nice with that simple light setup!

• edited October 2018
    No hurry. Just curious. Concrete always matte, grass is either plastic or skin. Glass is glossy plastic (although in Luxrender I set glass to glass not plastic). Sky is matte. Metal is metal... not glossy in this scene. Oh and dead wood usually matte but sometimes skin.
  • edited October 2018
    Shaders for the Shoreline... I do matte for the sky, matte for the rocks and sand, plastic for the water.

Maybe FirstBastion has different recommendations.

• edited October 2018
    Here are nine faces to the left. There are more faces in the big rock to the right.
    9 faces to the left.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 505K
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

So scripted rendering does not support rendering with a backdrop, and motion blur doesn't work either, so can AweSurface be used with the vanilla renderer? And in that case, what shadingrate and raytrace depth and so on should I use for best results? Guess I have to do some testing, but if someone already did, please share;)

Technically, scripted rendering does render background images, but DAZ imager shaders don't work with it. As for motion blur, I see Mustakettu already answered, but here's something I posted on the 3delight lab thread (page 86).

I do use IPR a lot, so here's the standard renderer settings I used. Everything at default values, except for gamma correction (on), gamma (2.2), ray trace depth (4) and progressive rendering (enabled). If you have transmissive objects in your scene (refracting glass), you'll likely have to use higher values for ray trace depth. If you're focusing on figures/certain models, having camera Visibility turned off for background objects/environment sphere can really speed up your render.

Nothing as fast as this though. surprise

https://arnold-rendering.com/2018/09/11/arnold-corona-threadripper-2990wx-demo/

Hot damn, that CPU is freakishly fast. Amazing that they're likely going to have 64 cores/128 threads next year.

tks wowie, yeah I checked the video, pretty darn amazingindecision, that's the major league for sure=)

This discussion has been closed.