Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Gone said:

Just curious, is that a seam between modules? Maybe there is some default material there. Also looks like there is an issue around the arrow to the right of the bike.

Could be, I'll dig into it, that's not how Stomemason intended it to look like, I'm sure;)

Gone said:

Cool looking render, though.

Tks1

Gone said:

AWE shaders, scripted render, IBLM environment for the shadow catcher.

Awesome=)))

edited October 2018

aweSurface/IBLM render + some postwork

Studioshot awe .png
    1689 x 1251 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • timeofftimeoff Posts: 49
    Very nice indeedy! Lovely light and shadow there!
  • GoneGone Posts: 833

Some male eye candy.

AWEMale.jpg
    900 x 900 - 75K
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Gone said:

Yeah, I tried most of that but the eyes just wouldn't pick up any environment reflection. Probably just doing something wrong. With so many options, it's easy to miss something you should be paying attention to. cheeky

You could check if your figure does have its cornea bulge morph dialed in or not. Default eye shapes don't pick up reflections that well.

timeoff said:
    Very nice indeedy! Lovely light and shadow there!

Tks!

Gone said:

Some male eye candy.

Nice skin!

Gone said:

Yeah, I tried most of that but the eyes just wouldn't pick up any environment reflection. Probably just doing something wrong. With so many options, it's easy to miss something you should be paying attention to. cheeky

You could check if your figure does have its cornea bulge morph dialed in or not. Default eye shapes don't pick up reflections that well.

Tks have to try that:)

That would be bilinear?

I think it was loop. But my 4.10 actually has refused to load for a while, so I've been only using the 4.11 beta and it looks like they've changed things around again - because both loop and bilinear export as PointPolygons, but now Cat* modes do respond to vertex-only displacement. I'll show something in the next post.

If you have a model with HD morphs, there is a significant difference between subD level 1 and 2 ( and you can go as high as level 4 and still get more detail)

Hmmm, in my experience there is none. In the render, I mean; "view subd level" will certainly change the look in the viewport, and that's that.

Maybe I have a very limited set of HD morphs, but here's the original Genesis with Aging Morphs HD (my original copy of non-HD aging morphs is from Rendo, but Zev0 said they should be identical to the DAZ store version, so even if they somehow depend on the non-HD ones, they shouldn't be broken in any way).

I dialed different combinations (view 2, render 0 and 5, and also view 0 render 0). They all render identical and produce identical RIB files when exported.

Would be cool if you found those HD morphs that do render differently and showed us.

agingHD view 0 render 0.png
    442 x 619 - 202K
    agingHD view 2 render 0.png
    442 x 619 - 202K
    agingHD view 2 render 5.png
    442 x 619 - 202K

So, this is the difference between classical 3Delight displacement and vertex (mesh vertices only) displacement on a subdivided sphere (Catmark).

The renders that look identical were made for different "render subdivision levels". So it does not make any difference; you can go to render 5, and it's still the same.

...the displacement map is a random old black and white photo actually.

fully RT displacement.png
    442 x 619 - 234K
    vertex displacement render subdiv level 8.png
    442 x 619 - 244K
    vertex displacement render subdiv level 0.png
    442 x 619 - 244K
    vertex displacement render subdiv level 4 viewport level 5.png
    442 x 619 - 244K

That would be bilinear?

I think it was loop. But my 4.10 actually has refused to load for a while, so I've been only using the 4.11 beta and it looks like they've changed things around again - because both loop and bilinear export as PointPolygons, but now Cat* modes do respond to vertex-only displacement. I'll show something in the next post.

If you have a model with HD morphs, there is a significant difference between subD level 1 and 2 ( and you can go as high as level 4 and still get more detail)

Hmmm, in my experience there is none. In the render, I mean; "view subd level" will certainly change the look in the viewport, and that's that.

Maybe I have a very limited set of HD morphs, but here's the original Genesis with Aging Morphs HD (my original copy of non-HD aging morphs is from Rendo, but Zev0 said they should be identical to the DAZ store version, so even if they somehow depend on the non-HD ones, they shouldn't be broken in any way).

I dialed different combinations (view 2, render 0 and 5, and also view 0 render 0). They all render identical and produce identical RIB files when exported.

Would be cool if you found those HD morphs that do render differently and showed us.

This ugly guy is Walker HD for Genesis1, IIRC this was at subD level 2, I'll do a test render;)

Darn, you're right (as alwayscheeky) amazing that you can work with something many years and you only see what you want to see, not what's actually happeningsurprise.

Yeah subD1 or 4, makes no difference in render, just slows down your viewport a lot.

Hehe thanks =P I do think there are times when I've been wrong...

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited October 2018

Yeah tell me all about itcrying Did this overnight render just to wake up and find this strange dark line crossing the road, I have no clue what that is. Have to go back and check surfaces

I do have Urban Sprawl 2, so I can check what's happening on that render.

It seems the decal parts actually 'hovers' by a lot to the actual road surface. You could fix it the by moving the problematic surfaces to 'stick' to the road plus turning off 'Occlusion & Indirect Light' and 'Shadows' visibility so they don't cast shadows or contribute to GI.

I couldn't reproduce that 'black line' across though. It could be something specific with your lighting setup. I'm just using a HDRI with an environment sphere with just AWE Surface defaults.

Cornea bulge is essential to getting highlights from eyes. I do wish DAZ was more consistent in how the pupil, iris, cornea and eye surface/reflection, tears zone are built though. Settings will vary depending from figure to figure.

US2.jpg
    462 x 600 - 231K
    Post edited by wowie on
    wowie said:

Yeah tell me all about itcrying Did this overnight render just to wake up and find this strange dark line crossing the road, I have no clue what that is. Have to go back and check surfaces

I do have Urban Sprawl 2, so I can check what's happening on that render.

Cornea bulge is essential to getting highlights from eyes. I do wish DAZ was more consistent in how the pupil, iris, cornea and eye surface/reflection, tears zone are built though. Settings will vary depending from figure to figure.

Hmm maybe that's why I,ve used 1.59 IOR for the eyesurface/cornea all these yearsfrown

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Cornea bulge is one of the first things I dial in when I add a character.

If I put an object or area light in the line of sight, it will be reflected. It's getting a reflection from the environment HDR that I'm having problems with.

edited October 2018
    wowie said:
    It seems the decal parts actually 'hovers' by a lot to the actual road surface. You could fix it the by moving the problematic surfaces to 'stick' to the road plus turning off 'Occlusion & Indirect Light' and 'Shadows' visibility so they don't cast shadows or contribute to GI.

Good point!

wowie said:

I couldn't reproduce that 'black line' across though. It could be something specific with your lighting setup. I'm just using a HDRI with an environment sphere with just AWE Surface defaults.

Tks for trying! I'm starting to suspect it was because of the motion blur? I moved the whole city to keep the bike in focus and blur the environment. I've used this technique many times before, but maybe something went south? I'll do a test without the MB! Btw, my scene was also lit by an HDRI, except I made some LEDs emissive.

UPDATE: Well it's not motion blur, turned it off and the line is still there. I'm now rendering a series of tests trying different camera angles.

And I forgot to mention I had an emissive light disc for the bike headlight too.

I'll post my findings in the test thread;)

edited October 2018

Someone somewhere asked some questions about Grim, you remember him? Nice fella=) Had to (literally) dig him up:)

Rise and Shine awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited October 2018

Chevybabecool

ChevyBabe awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Gone said:

If I put an object or area light in the line of sight, it will be reflected. It's getting a reflection from the environment HDR that I'm having problems with.

Could it be the HDRI then? Too low in dynamic range, for example.

In terms of free HDRI maps, HDRIHaven generally has beautifully dynamic maps - but in my experience, you often need to resave their *.hdr files as *.exr (Picturenaut works for that) for tdlmake to process it properly.

Gone said:

Could it be the HDRI then? Too low in dynamic range, for example.

In terms of free HDRI maps, HDRIHaven generally has beautifully dynamic maps - but in my experience, you often need to resave their *.hdr files as *.exr (Picturenaut works for that) for tdlmake to process it properly.

I have a confession to makeblush Just the other night I found a totally new (for me) ligh intensity slider. You select the environment light node and under parameters/general there it is=))) Defaults at 100, when you raise it to 150 things really start to happen! I feel dumb haha!

That is one of the more horrible things I have seen, iray or 3dl! Well done :)

timeoff said:

That is one of the more horrible things I have seen, iray or 3dl! Well done :)

Thank you so much that made my day:)

edited October 2018

...girls girls girls...

Andromeda awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

...and even more girls...

edited October 2018

There's still a few flaws with this one, but as I've spent the better part of 24 hours messing with it I'll just let it lie as it is. These awe shaders breath new life into all sorts of older stuff.

blacksmith 4.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by timeoff on

@timeoff

I really like that! The scars and wounds are a nice touch too. Yeah I've noticed the thing about aweSurface toosmiley

I have a confession to makeblush Just the other night I found a totally new (for me) ligh intensity slider. You select the environment light node and under parameters/general there it is=))) Defaults at 100, when you raise it to 150 things really start to happen! I feel dumb haha!

There's also the exposure slider in a number of places... and the tonemapping controls =D

I never implemented exposure-styled controls in my stuff because I'm paranoid about the pow() operator (old coding habits die hard), but, well, it's there in aweStuff, so why not use it =)

Same for tonemapping... I personally go the "easy route" (EXR -> GIMP running Nik Tools), but since Wowie hasn't put out the EXR script yet... // I need to talk to him about it //

And BTW, do you remember Wowie mentioning in the documentation that it's possible to be using multiple aweEnvironment Spheres set visible to a specific ray type each? This is how you can have the HDR do the diffuse lighting at one intensity (sphere invisible to reflections and refractions) and reflections at another (sphere invisible to diffuse rays). It's an artistic trick, but it's there.

timeoff said:

There's still a few flaws with this one, but as I've spent the better part of 24 hours messing with it I'll just let it lie as it is. These awe shaders breath new life into all sorts of older stuff.

Looks nice, if a little too dark maybe?

Folks, don't be afraid of cranking the lights up more =)

There's also the exposure slider in a number of places... and the tonemapping controls =D

I'm trying to figure out how to make best use of all those=) Endless possibilities..

I never implemented exposure-styled controls in my stuff because I'm paranoid about the pow() operator (old coding habits die hard), but, well, it's there in aweStuff, so why not use it =)

Same for tonemapping... I personally go the "easy route" (EXR -> GIMP running Nik Tools), but since Wowie hasn't put out the EXR script yet... // I need to talk to him about it //

And BTW, do you remember Wowie mentioning in the documentation that it's possible to be using multiple aweEnvironment Spheres set visible to a specific ray type each? This is how you can have the HDR do the diffuse lighting at one intensity (sphere invisible to reflections and refractions) and reflections at another (sphere invisible to diffuse rays). It's an artistic trick, but it's there.

Thanks I'm aware of that;)

Now that two of you have mentioned it, I felt obliged to take a look and (surprise surprise!!) there really is another intensity control! I had never bothered looking at Parameters/General for the environment light. I had always just gone directly to Parameters/Light. Oh well, no excuses for any more dark renders... 

This discussion has been closed.