Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667
    SixDs said:

OK, I'll play. I don't normally do portraits (yeah, we can never have enough of them), but I was trying to illustrate something elsewhere and kinda got carried away. Anyway, here is a 3Delight render (no post 'cause I spent enough time on it), primarily showing the venerable old Kyoko Hair by Kozaburo. At first I thought that I would make you guys guess, but, nah. That guy knew what he was doing way back when, didn't he? I should have used V1 I suppose, but copped out and used a custom "dial-morphed" V4 character. Don't ask me about settings because I just kept fiddling until I had pretty much tossed the salad and said "thats, it. I'm done". I normally like my pictures to tell a story, but with this one I thought a brief narrative by way of explanation was in order. So, here ya'll go:

She is beautifully stunning @SixDs !!!

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

@Saphirewild and @SixDs

Very nice renders, guys! Beautiful lighting!

And yes SixDs that hair looks so good;)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    SixDs said:

OK, I'll play. I don't normally do portraits (yeah, we can never have enough of them), but I was trying to illustrate something elsewhere and kinda got carried away. Anyway, here is a 3Delight render (no post 'cause I spent enough time on it), primarily showing the venerable old Kyoko Hair by Kozaburo. At first I thought that I would make you guys guess, but, nah. That guy knew what he was doing way back when, didn't he? I should have used V1 I suppose, but copped out and used a custom "dial-morphed" V4 character. Don't ask me about settings because I just kept fiddling until I had pretty much tossed the salad and said "thats, it. I'm done". I normally like my pictures to tell a story, but with this one I thought a brief narrative by way of explanation was in order. So, here ya'll go:

...I still have and use Koz's hairs even on Genesis characters:

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Thanks, guys. I made a response earlier, but forgot to hit "Post Comment". cheeky

I have done that a few times @SixDs

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    SixDs said:

Anyway, here is a 3Delight render (no post 'cause I spent enough time on it), primarily showing the venerable old Kyoko Hair by Kozaburo. At first I thought that I would make you guys guess, but, nah. That guy knew what he was doing way back when, didn't he?

The girl looks great. Especially the eyes.

Though I'll show my nitpicking and hairsplitting killjoy side once again and point to those horisontal stripes on the texture. These are not your fault. It's just what Koz hair comes with.

They are those fake, painted-in highlights, artifacts of the ancient times.

I don't remember if this specific model is one of those that have portions of their UV rotated 90 degrees - if not, then you could simply replace this oldschool diffuse map with a contemporary one, like those from OOT "IrayPair" universal hair material pack (and add a bump map while you're at it). DS shaders all seem to have tiling controls these days, so it shouldn't be difficult to get the most natural look.

If there are those rotated portions, though, you will basically need to comp a new texture. :(

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

You are correct, of course, Mustakettu, and the "baked-in" highlights do not correspond correctly to how realworld highlights would probably look. As you suggest, there are ways to get around this, including some folks that have produced addon texture sets for his hairs, which may not include the highlights. I actually did a comparative render using Iray for which I naturally had to convert lights and materials. For the hair I actually used SloshWerks' UHT2. However, I retained the original maps, so the highlights still appeared in that render as well. But I could have easily abandoned the maps and allowed UHT2 to replace them, and I do have OOT's Hairblending product which I could have used for 3Delight in a similar way. Part of the reason why I did not was because the render was originally done to illustrate to another user that the hair could still stand up well today. Also, it would be a shame to lose some of the "stray hair" details that Koz built in to his original maps.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    SixDs said:

Part of the reason why I did not was because the render was originally done to illustrate to another user that the hair could still stand up well today. Also, it would be a shame to lose some of the "stray hair" details that Koz built in to his original maps.

Yes those details were nice. I don't suppose Koz included a CC type of licence for his textures, which is kinda sad... because otherwise someone could try and fix the highlights (and enlarge+sharpen the texture while we're at it) for everyone to benefit.

Here is yet another render that I was testing out more lighting, the Lantios Nighttime Pack this time around.

Titled: Begging For Love

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 532

I seem to have got over my monchrome phase....

TV show host: "Ladies and gentlemen please welcome a new band who are making waves on the scene. We are delighted to have them on the show as they are really Something Else Again; they are The Sea! Here they are with a really groovy new number called 'Keyhole of Your Mind'".

Post work in the Gimp.

...groovy baby.

......sooooo how many albums have "The Sea" sold world wide?

Looks like they are having fun with that song!

Here are a couple of renders I have worked of for a couple of days now.

Titled: Backyard Party

Titled: Backyard Party With The Kids

Here is my newest project I have been woring on for a few weeks now

I did a couple different versions of it because I just could not make up my mind which way I wanted to go with it then took one of them into GIMP and played around with it and this is what I came up with:

Titled: Car Display By Mandy

Titled: Car Display By Mandy 2

Titled: Car Display By Mandy Boop

Hi @Saphirewild, the second one is my favourite. I love the dramatic sky.

My latest effort. Sepia toned and film grained using the Gimp.

Title: By The Piano

nattaruk said:

Hi @Saphirewild, the second one is my favourite. I love the dramatic sky.

Thanks for the kind words @nattaruk !!

edited June 2018

Here is a portrait I was working on trying out new posing and expressions.

Breaking Up.png
    1500 x 1875 - 3M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • Amazing renders you are posting. I was reading through about 15 pages I fell behind. I have DreamLight LDP but I don't bother using it. I been just loading up the following for a series of early morning fog backgrounds. UE2, AoA fog camera, I use FirstBastion's Sky Domes if other artists don't put in their own. Sometimes Stonemason puts in skydomes sometimes not. DazFire too. Been also looking through my collection of sets from TangoAlpha and The AntFarm. Just doing a series of renders for backdrops. Maybe I'll post a couple here. Render time is about 20 minutes on an old duo core or is it a core 2 duo?.
  • Camera lens was set to 19.6mm to match the wide angle lens on my Nikon. I will greenscreen live people and place them in these sets later.
    19m DZfire Alley fog camera UE2.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 126K
    20m TheBackStreets_P6 fog cam.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 114K
    22m TinPanAlley fog cam 19mm UE2.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 167K
    15m BackAlley2k9 fog cam UE2.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 173K
    15m A Quiet Street fog camera UE2.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 149K

Good to see you back Barefoot! Yes I agree nice renders everybody, haven't done anything myself for quit a while, too darn hot atm.

Nice backgrounds, keep us updated;)

• Thanks Sven. I had to invest in a new air conditioner this year just to keep my cats from passing out from the heat. It's hotter inside the apartment when I render. 26c - 28c as opposed to outside at night being 20c - 24c. I don't remember what that is in American dollars... about 90F and low of 72F. It's worse in the winter here because the landlord OVERHEATS the place. I wish I got a portable AC instead of the one that sits in the window and I have to put it back in storage in autumn.
    Thanks Sven. I had to invest in a new air conditioner this year just to keep my cats from passing out from the heat. It's hotter inside the apartment when I render. 26c - 28c as opposed to outside at night being 20c - 24c. I don't remember what that is in American dollars... about 90F and low of 72F. It's worse in the winter here because the landlord OVERHEATS the place. I wish I got a portable AC instead of the one that sits in the window and I have to put it back in storage in autumn.

Yeah not used to tis kind of stuff here in Finland (where the eagles fly and polar bears roam the streets lol), we've been having 30+ C day and night for the last couple of weeks, seniors have started dying, it was all over the news the other day::/ And my dog needs a shower every second hour or so. They say it will continue for another 4 weeks.

edited July 2018

Actually I made some stuff couple of weeks ago, might as well upload, just some lighting- caustics- and shader testing.

TUSCAN VILLA IBLM 1.png
    1800 x 1012 - 4M
    TUSCAN VILLA IBLM 2pp.png
    1800 x 1012 - 4M
    CAUSTIC CARpp.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Oh I especially like the lighting and shadows on the one with the Jaguar. The reflection on it's body and burgandy color tone are exquisit.
    Camera lens was set to 19.6mm to match the wide angle lens on my Nikon. I will greenscreen live people and place them in these sets later.

..ahh the original Urban Sprawl.  Very well done.  Reminds me of abandoned places in my old hometown in Milwaukee when the fog rolls in off the lake.

..Sven, how did you get the AO from the reflection to work in the Jaguar pic?  That is very cool.

• edited July 2018
    kyoto kid said:

..ahh the original Urban Sprawl.  Very well done.  Reminds me of abandoned places in my old hometown in Milwaukee when the fog rolls in off the lake.

Hey hi Kyoto Kid. I had to sign out of Daz3D to see if Stonemason's original Urban Sprawl was still for sale. It's one the many products he took off the market. I did try a couple of renders with that one using AoA fog camera. They turned out awful. Didn't post with those up above. So posting them below. It's not just in AoA but also the fog I would use in LuxRender via Reality 2. The paint on the road floats slightly in the air over the tar and cannot be adjusted. Also the wires are not independant from each other so a thicker halo of white surrounds the wires like the rings of Saturn. Obviously not all Rembrant's are a Rembrant and not all Stonemason are a Stonemason. None the less I enjoy collecting and exploring his creations. I did get a great render from the original Urban Sprawl in LuxRender without fog I think I posted near the beginning of this SUY3DR forum.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Ugh, my smart phone browser didn't put in coding for br or p. I'm too tired to fix paragraphs.
    3m Urban Sprawl fog camera UE2.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 121K
    15m Urban Sprawl fog camera UE2.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 185K
    Oh I especially like the lighting and shadows on the one with the Jaguar. The reflection on it's body and burgandy color tone are exquisit.

Thank you so much!

kyoto kid said:

..Sven, how did you get the AO from the reflection to work in the Jaguar pic?  That is very cool.

That's with a shader camera, caustic shader on the car body and a shader spotlight. The caustic effect needs a high density mesh  so had to up subD to 4 IIRC;)

Ugh, my smart phone browser didn't put in coding for br or p. I'm too tired to fix paragraphs.

Like it very much! I don't have the first version, but it looks cool. SM is a true magician, everybody has to start somewhere, right=)

This discussion has been closed.