Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2017

Here´s an updated Thunder River with a few minor surface tweeks and some added fauna:

Thunder River RR3 pp.png
    1800 x 1013 - 4M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Lovely waterfall! Where does the mesh come from? Another FirstBastion set?

No, it´s a really old set made by Nerd3D, who´s sadly not in the DAZ store anymore. The man is  ingenious, the falls are posable and can be animated,

you can adapt them to almost any environment.

I believe Nerd3D still sells his stuff on his own site, haven´t checked lately.

Ooh now I think I know what you mean, thanks for the hints! Yes it must be still for sale, if not on his own website then erm... "elsewhere" and I may even have them wishlisted there. You made them look much cooler than they look in those promos =)

• Here´s an updated Thunder River with a few minor surface tweeks and some added fauna:

Gulls! I wonder if this river has a lot of fish...

edited September 2017

Oh well. I'm looking at the publicly available documentation and it mentions some sort of mysterious quality presets that "can be applied to either UE2 or Reflective Light" (one but not the other??). And then it says "Try turning off the UE2 for more dramatic renders and speeding up render time". I wonder what "dramatic" means in this context =)
    I mean, I'm truly sorry for all the users like you who have to figure this all out, basically like experimenting with a black box. Unless there is a thread somewhere here where Marshian explains exactly how it all works.

The quality presets simply change the shading rate and occlusion samples in the parameters tab, high quality is shading rate 8 and occlusion samples 128, so nothing mysterious therelaugh.

The Reflective light basically looks like the UE2 bounce light with occlusion strength set to 0, but the shadow samples and shading rate obviously control the quality together with

the pixel samples in the rendering tab. I have tried to use the reflective light alone, and up the occlusion strength but cannot see any occlusion so have to use both, obviously.

Well if you leave out the UE2 it won´t "wash out " the color bleeding of the reflective light so you get a more "dramatic" effect, this is how I understand it.

However, used as it is supposed to it is way faster than the UE2 bouncelight so that is a good thing.

Oh and it seems in some cases you have to  go down to shading rate 2 or even 1 and increase the occlusion shadowsamples to 256 to get a good result.

• Lovely waterfall! Where does the mesh come from? Another FirstBastion set?

No, it´s a really old set made by Nerd3D, who´s sadly not in the DAZ store anymore. The man is  ingenious, the falls are posable and can be animated,

you can adapt them to almost any environment.

I believe Nerd3D still sells his stuff on his own site, haven´t checked lately.

Ooh now I think I know what you mean, thanks for the hints! Yes it must be still for sale, if not on his own website then erm... "elsewhere" and I may even have them wishlisted there. You made them look much cooler than they look in those promos =)

TY so much!

• Here´s an updated Thunder River with a few minor surface tweeks and some added fauna:

Gulls! I wonder if this river has a lot of fish...

Sure has, I´m getting there haha!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

Near as I can figure out RR uses a recoded/faster bounce light thing, the rest is just the usual stuff. I think. It might be recoded to play nice with it.

Personally, I've found best results by using a light present, adjusting angle, and usually removing the specular light (too much, IMO). Sometimes tweaking down the bounce intensity a little (I find it, again, a little too much in many scenes)

• The quality presets simply change the shading rate and occlusion samples in the parameters tab, high quality is shading rate 8 and occlusion samples 128, so nothing mysterious therelaugh.

The mysterious thing is why they "can be applied to either/or". It sort of suggests "apply to whichever, and the second one will pick up the same values". But it's not like UE2 could suddenly start reading values from the RR shader, one that was written later, right? I could guess that it must mean: you first should test-render with only one enabled and determine the lowest quality settings that would minimise its noise, then disable it and test-render with the other, and the convenience presets provided should work on both lights. Not sure if a new user would be able to figure this workflow out from that sentence, though.

Then again, I literally never saw any "n00b"-friendly documentation anywhere =)

Well if you leave out the UE2 it won´t "wash out " the color bleeding of the reflective light so you get a more "dramatic" effect, this is how I understand it.

"Dramatic" in terms of bounce specifically, like a "dramatic increase" in its brightness, then? Oh my. I happen to think of strong chiaroscuro when I hear the word "dramatic" in the context of lighting. No wonder I got confused.

However, used as it is supposed to it is way faster than the UE2 bouncelight so that is a good thing.

Hehe, yeah, that part of UE2 is way behind the times.

• Sometimes tweaking down the bounce intensity a little (I find it, again, a little too much in many scenes)

So it's not just my myopic eyes playing tricks on me, eh? I do find the bounce way too strong in a lot of renders that list RR being used.

Do we have a "spoiler" tag here? Consider the following paragraph to be spoilered out, only for those who do shader authoring...

This is why I theorised it might be linear and not anything more "physically plausible" like cosine (especially since Marshian admitted to not using linear workflow when developing RR, which means that real-world curves would likely not look right to them). Yes, if the main RR shader responds to irradiance shading rate, it´s likely based on the good ole indirectdiffuse() shadeop, but indirectdiffuse() also supports uniform distributions and moreover, offers falloff control.

• Near as I can figure out RR uses a recoded/faster bounce light thing, the rest is just the usual stuff. I think. It might be recoded to play nice with it.

Seems plausible. I think. smiley

Personally, I've found best results by using a light present, adjusting angle, and usually removing the specular light (too much, IMO). Sometimes tweaking down the bounce intensity a little (I find it, again, a little too much in many scenes)

Agreed, pretty much do the same thing + replace the standard distant light with the Dz shader light.

• "Dramatic" in terms of bounce specifically, like a "dramatic increase" in its brightness, then? Oh my. I happen to think of strong chiaroscuro when I hear the word "dramatic" in the context of lighting. No wonder I got confused.

blushOk, had to look that word up, but yeah I have to agree when I hear the word dramatic I think of something along those lines.

• "Dramatic" in terms of bounce specifically, like a "dramatic increase" in its brightness, then? Oh my. I happen to think of strong chiaroscuro when I hear the word "dramatic" in the context of lighting. No wonder I got confused.

blushOk, had to look that word up, but yeah I have to agree when I hear the word dramatic I think of something along those lines.

Haha sorry, I always steal the "big" words from the artist folks and then can't for the life of me remember if this has any other simple name or not =)

All that said, RR offers a UE2 'experience' at faster render speeds, along with some decently fast emissives, so... it's worth it, IMO, for anyone who isn't going to muck around with more technical stuff but wants a bit more realism.

Given almost all realistic stuff I do gets run through camera style filters, RR adds just enough realism to get good result with filters.

The biggest limitation I still face is that 3DL renders so much slower at larger sizes, though _generally_ the only time I need larger sizes is as input to a brush filter, and for that I can almost always take a smaller image and just blow it up.

edited September 2017

Here´s something I did a while back, I should have called it The Future Looks So Bright I´ve Got To Wear Shadescool

I used the AoA distant+ambient lights.

The Day After AoA.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    edited September 2017

Some more RR3 stuff, quickly put together, had to try some SF for a change although not really my cup of tee:

Starship Astra RR3 pp.png
    1783 x 1000 - 2M
    edited September 2017

Do ghosts cast shadows, well apparently notsurprise

WHITE LADY pp2.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
  • Some more RR3 stuff, quickly put together, had to try some SF for a change although not really my cup of tee:

I would have never guessed SF is "not your cup of tea" from that, it's awesome! Did you add the exhaust in post?

• Some more RR3 stuff, quickly put together, had to try some SF for a change although not really my cup of tee:

I would have never guessed SF is "not your cup of tea" from that, it's awesome! Did you add the exhaust in post?

Thanks a lotsmiley. Nah the exhaust is a dragonfire prop, just made it emissive and fiddled with the surface settings a little.

Added a touch of softglow in Gimp.

edited September 2017

Another old set by Nerd3D, Tropical cove with his waterfall tool. Surfaces needed some adjusting to work with RR3:

Tropcal Island RR3.png
    1800 x 1012 - 3M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited September 2017

Nitro or Kryptonite?

Motion blur heart So few people seem to use it but it adds so much in terms of dynamics!

...the last time I used it the render took sixteen and a half hours for only five frames.  Didn't help that it also used UE and the character had two instances of Bolina Hair.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

A summerscene with the secluded-shoreline and AoA distant + ambient lights.

Tweaked some stuff as usual.

FirstBastion makes truly amazing sets!

...looks just as good if not better than some Iray pics  I've seen.

• kyoto kid said:

A summerscene with the secluded-shoreline and AoA distant + ambient lights.

Tweaked some stuff as usual.

FirstBastion makes truly amazing sets!

...looks just as good if not better than some Iray pics  I've seen.

TY very much kyotokid!

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Here's one I'm still tweaking.. fan art of a sort.. character is an android detective, who somehow got loaded in to his personality, some old 1940s detective novels and movies.. 

razorZ_rider_diner_base_3_cam_10.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 409K

Thanks a lotsmiley. Nah the exhaust is a dragonfire prop, just made it emissive and fiddled with the surface settings a little.

Oh wow, that's a creative "repurpose" =)

• hacsart said:

Here's one I'm still tweaking.. fan art of a sort.. character is an android detective, who somehow got loaded in to his personality, some old 1940s detective novels and movies.. 

Love it, well done!!

edited September 2017

More from Thunder River:

Gone Fishing RR3 pp.png
    1800 x 1012 - 2M
    edited September 2017

And back to the woods:

Medicine Woman.png
    1800 x 1013 - 4M
  •  

• timeofftimeoff Posts: 49
    edited September 2017

We don't see enough camels here, so I'm fixing that...

A little bit of terradome3 using will's WT3 Normal 2mix shader, a bunch of wowie's lumina US2 presets, and of course a pair of camels....

breaking camp.jpg
    1707 x 1280 - 571K
    Post edited by timeoff on

Oh good, you liking that shader?

I really ought to grab that and a few other things as a free pack.

Though maybe just releasing it by itself on sharecg would be enough

This discussion has been closed.