Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Something I am not sure I mentioned but IMHO find is that renders of humans only with alpha key backgrounds that are animated are better done in 3Delight rather than Luxrender or Iray. Anyone else experience this? Am I wrong on this?

The Luxrender done by Joe Pingleton of Grandpa Simpson voice talking about bees and nickles was well done but for the most part I prefer 3delight.

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2017

Last Man Standing.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited August 2017

Countryside.png
    1300 x 731 - 2M
    edited August 2017

Talking to me?.png
    1000 x 750 - 1M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...I really love the lighting in this. 

kyoto kid said:

...I really love the lighting in this. 

Thank you so much Kyoto!

edited August 2017

...the one thing I still love about 3DL is it allows for varied styles and moods that are difficult to achieve with Iray without resorting to postwork..  I personally like the more illustrative and "painterly" style I can achieve in the render pass.  With the varuous effects cameras and custom shader sets one can go from comic book to Noir to even pencil sketch.  I've even seen a work in a challenge that looked like a Frank Miller piece. 

With enough patience it can also be pushed to come pretty close to realism with the different lighting and shader sets available. If you understand RSL you can push things even further.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited August 2017
    kyoto kid said:

...the one thing I still love about 3DL is it allows for varied styles and moods that are difficult to achieve with Iray without resorting to postwork..  I personally like the more illustrative and "painterly" style I can achieve in the render pass.  With the varuous effects cameras and custom shader sets one can go from comic book to Noir to even pencil sketch.  I've even seen a work in a challenge that looked like a Frank Miller piece. 

With enough patience it can also be pushed to come pretty close to realism with the different lighting and shader sets available. If you understand RSL you can push things even further.

I have to admit I know zip and zero about IRay (Mac user), I think I have done 2 or 3 testrenders and they took forever so not jumping on that train yet.

Anyway, I love the freedom to fake things if I need/want to, that 3DL offers, basically what you mentioned, but I also have to admit that realism is not an option here heh.

Maybe if you are a codemaster which I am not. I do this for fun, not to make a living on it, so I´m having fun, it is all good.

This portrait was a serious attempt to do something "realistic", my opinion is if you leave out all characters and do architecturals or landscapes you can get pretty close. (no matter what rendering engine you use)

This obsession we all have as human beings to recreate reality is fascinatingfrownsmiley

Grant close-up.png
    1800 x 1440 - 4M

...nah, gave up coding after I used to do it for a living.  I just push the lighting and surfaces to their limits, and sometimes beyond.

The pic you posted above however is pretty convincing. I've seen Iray renders that don't come near this quality.

My favourite lighting tool in 3DL are AoA's Advanced Lights and for surfaces hie SSS shaders.  There are cheats one can do to "fake" GI and AO though admittedly UE is the best route. Sadly though, like Iray in CPU mode, UE dna be a real resource hog when it comes to rendering (particularly iof your scene includes a lot of transmaps) and somewhat a pain to set up as you have to figure out the best sampling rate.

kyoto kid said:

...nah, gave up coding after I used to do it for a living.  I just push the lighting and surfaces to their limits, and sometimes beyond.

The pic you posted above however is pretty convincing. I've seen Iray renders that don't come near this quality.

My favourite lighting tool in 3DL are AoA's Advanced Lights and for surfaces hie SSS shaders.  There are cheats one can do to "fake" GI and AO though admittedly UE is the best route. Sadly though, like Iray in CPU mode, UE dna be a real resource hog when it comes to rendering (particularly iof your scene includes a lot of transmaps) and somewhat a pain to set up as you have to figure out the best sampling rate.

TY kyoto kid!

Yes I love the AoA lights, perfect for animation, like 5-10 times faster than UE2, but you don´t get the color bleeding. There is always the trade off, can´t get around it.

Have you tried the reflective radiance? I´ve done a couple of renders with it, seems to be faster than UE2 and looks good.

I did not get it to work with the scripted 3DL(point based occlusion) though, and if you are into animation you can pretty much

forget it  altogether!

edited August 2017

...I've been considering getting that as yes, it creates nice AO and bounce light results.

I primarily do single static scenes.  The only time I use the animation track is to create motion blur.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

I had an early bad experience with Reflective Radiance, but got it a second time and realized what the problem was (AOA and Reflective Radiance do NOT mix without lots of problems, ime)

Now, I pretty much use either AoA lights or RR depending on the degree of realism I want. (Faster vs bleed, and RR emissive are pretty nice, too)

edited August 2017

I had an early bad experience with Reflective Radiance, but got it a second time and realized what the problem was (AOA and Reflective Radiance do NOT mix without lots of problems, ime)

Now, I pretty much use either AoA lights or RR depending on the degree of realism I want. (Faster vs bleed, and RR emissive are pretty nice, too)

Haha I did the same thing, and yeah the emissive are nice.

I found out the Dz shader lights work better with RR3 than the standard lights, imo much better shadows.

Here I compared the two light sets in a simple indoor scene:

imageimage

The one on the left being AoA and the other is the FauxRay preset.

AoA rendertime 3min 10sec and RR3 17min 50sec

As you can see in the pic on the right something weird happening with the shadows on the floor, that is the standard distant light,

if I swap it with the shader light the shadows are fine, go figurefrown

Test AoA 3min 10sec.png
    1000 x 562 - 893K
    Test Faux ray 17 min 50 sec.png
    1000 x 562 - 967K
    edited August 2017

Here I used RR3+ some filters in Gimp:

The Fly pp.png
    1800 x 1012 - 3M
    edited August 2017

Haha I did the same thing, and yeah the emissive are nice.

I found out the Dz shader lights work better with RR3 than the standard lights, imo much better shadows.

Here I compared the two light sets in a simple indoor scene:

imageimage

The one on the left being AoA and the other is the FauxRay preset.

AoA rendertime 3min 10sec and RR3 17min 50sec

As you can see in the pic on the right something weird happening with the shadows on the floor, that is the standard distant light,

if I swap it with the shader light the shadows are fine, go figurefrown

...maybe I won't get it then as I primarily use the AoA lights in 3DL.  UE tends to be just as slow (if not slower depending on transmaps) than Iray CPU mode.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

RR is faster than UE. A little slower than AoA for nicer results (generally/sometimes), but not as slow as Iray CPU... so it's a judgement call.

edited August 2017

Some more RR3 testing, made on my laptopin DS 4.7:

Midnight Magic.png
    1500 x 844 - 2M

I run into big trouble trying to do a render with one character and the public indoor pool and RR3, tweeked the water to my liking, nice reflections refraction etc.

made the ceilinglights emissive and adjusted the reflective and UE, then made a testrender, the walls were very grainy so bumped up the occlusion samples

to 256, shadingrate to 2, still grainy. Ok set limits off occlusion samples to 512 and shading rate to 1, it came out really beautiful except the skin on the character

(DAZ default shader no SSS) was still very grainy. my rendertab settings: progressive mode, raytrace 8, shadow samples 32, shading rate0.1.

So gave up, have to try without progressive maybe but it takes SO long. Any tips anybody?

Cannot see much grain in the pic above, looks clean to me, also made with progressive.indecision

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Some stunning images there Sven loving the last one nice emissives!!

edited August 2017

This was made with the regular UE2,waiting for some sea creatures to fill it upblush

Bubbles.png
    1300 x 731 - 2M

Some stunning images there Sven loving the last one nice emissives!!

Oh thank you very much Saphire!

This was made with the regular UE2,waiting for some sea creatures to fill it upblush

...that's a really nice underwater scene. 

Love the glowing mushrooms in the previous one as well,

edited September 2017

I found the hemlock-folly when browsing my content library, it is a really nice set! Here is a render with AoA lights ans some shaders applied:

In the Tower.png
    1779 x 1287 - 3M
  • kyoto kid said:

...that's a really nice underwater scene. 

Love the glowing mushrooms in the previous one as well,

Thank you very much kyoto kidblush

I´m having fun haha!

edited September 2017

...I see.  Now that I finally hav am in  a new place and all teh distractions of where will I be living are gone I can dive back into my work again.

However, that will need to wait just a bit longer since I pulled my workstation apart to give it a thurough cleaning as the place I moved from had a serious dust issue (great place for dong "godray: studies in RL).

• (DAZ default shader no SSS) was still very grainy. my rendertab settings: progressive mode, raytrace 8, shadow samples 32, shading rate0.1.

So gave up, have to try without progressive maybe but it takes SO long. Any tips anybody?

Well, first of all, the "progressive" mode calls the raytracer - and the raytracer does not use shading rate. It works differently. Its main quality knob is pixel samples. You haven't mentioned these, so it would be nice to know the number.

Now, all this trace depth... The vanilla render settings tab won't let you specify the diffuse (indirect light) and specular (reflection/refraction) bounces separately, which is a bummer and a major hindrance in most cases. 8 diffuse bounces for IDL is definitely too much, especially without irradiance caching. You sure you do need 8 specular bounces for your pool? Have you tested with 2 or 3?

Changing trace depth will not have any effect on the noise, neither for better nor for worse (unless Reflective Radiance uses some obsolete bounce algorithm, which I hope it doesn't), but optimising it will help with render times.

Oh BTW, does RR really require UE2 to be present along with itself??

PS Those shadow samples in the vanilla render settings tab are only for lights like those from the menu. Any light that has a shadow sample settings of its own (like the dzLights from the DS Default content folder) will use its own setting.

• This was made with the regular UE2,waiting for some sea creatures to fill it upblush

Beautiful.

Okay I hope the mods won't kill this post for mentioning another 3D store, but - there is a contest going on at TurboSquid called "Lost at Sea", and they made a number of themed models free in honour of it. They aren't rigged for DS, but amazing in all the other aspects. There is a jellyfish, a turtle and a shell, speaking of creatures.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited September 2017

Beautiful.

Okay I hope the mods won't kill this post for mentioning another 3D store, but - there is a contest going on at TurboSquid called "Lost at Sea", and they made a number of themed models free in honour of it. They aren't rigged for DS, but amazing in all the other aspects. There is a jellyfish, a turtle and a shell, speaking of creatures.

Mention them...fine.  Link to them...no.  Maybe the freebies on Turbosquid are fine to link to...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited September 2017
    Well, first of all, the "progressive" mode calls the raytracer - and the raytracer does not use shading rate. It works differently. Its main quality knob is pixel samples. You haven't mentioned these, so it would be nice to know the number.

Now, all this trace depth... The vanilla render settings tab won't let you specify the diffuse (indirect light) and specular (reflection/refraction) bounces separately, which is a bummer and a major hindrance in most cases. 8 diffuse bounces for IDL is definitely too much, especially without irradiance caching. You sure you do need 8 specular bounces for your pool? Have you tested with 2 or 3?

Changing trace depth will not have any effect on the noise, neither for better nor for worse (unless Reflective Radiance uses some obsolete bounce algorithm, which I hope it doesn't), but optimising it will help with render times.

Oh BTW, does RR really require UE2 to be present along with itself??

PS Those shadow samples in the vanilla render settings tab are only for lights like those from the menu. Any light that has a shadow sample settings of its own (like the dzLights from the DS Default content folder) will use its own setting.

Hey Mustakettu, thanks, did not know progressive doesn´t use shading rate. IIRC pixel samples were atleast 10x10. Usually I set them pretty high for stills.

I think I started testing with raytrace 4, I had a standard spotlight on the character (which was the problem) so I upped the shadowsamples when I could not get rid of the grain. When that didn´t help I deleted the spot

and increased the emissive strenght instead. Was not sure about if the emissives require shadowsamples as there is no such thing in the surface tab for the RR3 emissives.

The RR3 presets consist of a UE2 which gives the soft shadows and occlusion and a reflective light which gives the bounce light effect. So they are separated. Apparently you have to use them both.

Then there are the RR3 emissive shaders, pretty much the same as the uberarea lights but as I said there is no shadow sample control in the surface tab.

Anyway with my settings the pool water and the room with the emissive lights in the ceiling looked spectacular and without grain, it was the skin on my character that caused me trouble.

It was just a V4 skin on a Genesis 1 with the Daz default shader, nothing fancy, I have used it  with the AoA lights and it has looked good.

I´ll go back to do some more testing when I get a free moment, now I know a little more thanks to you, so I will be back!

Oh and thanks for the tip on the sea creatures, will check it out!

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

How's this?

old_west_brocius_base_2.jpg
    1680 x 1680 - 944K
This discussion has been closed.