Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,916

Here is one I did recently to test out a new set I got from one of Daz Freebies!!!

Titled: Searching For The Light

Oh my, MFD and Shigi hair, now that's vintage.

And for the benefit of non-PC members, what is this set? It's probably as old but I don't recognise it.

it had notrhing to do with the pc, was in one of the last month DAZ freebies (which are not weekly anymore) https://www.daz3d.com/dms-anardhaus

probably still a cheap catch with the summer sale or comes back cheap in September

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Linwelly said:

Here is one I did recently to test out a new set I got from one of Daz Freebies!!!

And for the benefit of non-PC members, what is this set? It's probably as old but I don't recognise it.

it had notrhing to do with the pc, was in one of the last month DAZ freebies (which are not weekly anymore) https://www.daz3d.com/dms-anardhaus

probably still a cheap catch with the summer sale or comes back cheap in September

Oh wow, thanks for the link. It shows up as purchased for me. I guess I must've instinctively snatched the freebie but didn't have time to study what was there inside the archive LOL

• nelm2010nelm2010 Posts: 45
    edited July 2017

Ok, here's one of mine. 3delight, although the backdrop is actually from the iray-only Space Station Living Quarters spaceroom PC, because it's the best HUD I have accessible, dropped it in behind. For his skin, I used Amazing Skins for G2, and then some lights with specular only, set really high. He's one of my book characters and super fun to play with in Daz. 

Post edited by nelm2010 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...oooh that is really nice.

Very cool work nelm2010, it has this old film appeal and I love the way you worked the light in this!

nelm2010 said:

Ok, here's one of mine. 3delight, although the backdrop is actually from the iray-only Space Station Living Quarters spaceroom PC, because it's the best HUD I have accessible, dropped it in behind. For his skin, I used Amazing Skins for G2, and then some lights with specular only, set really high. He's one of my book characters and super fun to play with in Daz.

A striking character. A space vampire?..

PS Nothing is "Iray-only" with a bit of work. ;)

• I'm plagued with 'omfg my stuff sucks' whenever I put together my own designs, but what the hey.

I know this was from January but, on the off chance it's still a problem, have you considered one of the Nurnies Greebles sets to add detail? The promo art for Set 3 (linked above) demonstrates an example where they used the parts to make a gun look like a battleship.

@Nelm2010: Nice job with the vampire. Lots of personality - not sure whether it's a nice personality, but the personality definitely shows.

Still, trying to find a good approach to hair mat settings. I need to dial down the bump map, but it's starting to look a little soft now. But I am really happy with her face. (Render is GC 2.2, custom hair textures)

hair2.png
    773 x 1000 - 1M

Still, trying to find a good approach to hair mat settings. I need to dial down the bump map, but it's starting to look a little soft now. But I am really happy with her face. (Render is GC 2.2, custom hair textures)

Looks cool!

Are you using the "progressive" mode (or scripted rendering to get the raytracer)? There's a sort of a maybe-bug-maybe-feature about the raytrace hider: if you enable DoF, specular and reflection starts responding to bump/normal maps in a more natural way. I.e. you don't need specifically to enable anisotropy in the shader. Adjusting the relief amplitude will regulate how the highlight is scattered.

With transmapped hair, the results will also depend on the model geometry. I have this test of the ancient Wavy Hair https://www.daz3d.com/wavy-hair - the specular is Ashikhmin-Shirley, but anisotropy is not enabled. It uses the original transmap but the diffuse, spec strength and bump maps are from OutOfTouch Iray hair material pack from Rendo.

22m22s.png
    371 x 600 - 308K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

Been a while, but here's the IRAY ONLY Exile ... he looks spiff in 3DL.

Exile 3dl.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 327K

What a nicely creepy alien =)

I just realised I never uploaded my test renders I did for Chanteur-de-Vent's Futuristic Glass Elevator and Building Kit here:

https://www.daz3d.com/futuristic-glass-elevator-and-building-kit

So here's a composite of some of the 3Delight-specific options you get in there (lights, materials, ground). And that's a V4 who's obviously only shown for comparison =)

glasselev_3dl.png
    960 x 1200 - 1M
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

The set was gotten from the bi-weekly freebies a few weeks or a month back here is the link to look at it HERE

Really trying to poke at 3dl again but DANG Zahara hair grinds everything to a halt (and yes, it has Occlusion: off)

Finally did it! ZAHARAAAA

Filters, of course.

Shan 3DL.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 482K
    edited August 2017

And another, using Reflective Radiance (as I did the last one)

Also used Stonemason's recent Streets of Morocco, Singers of Chzor, and assorted other stuff.

Used Elven Robe and Viking woman's headscarf, since I'm woefully lacking in appropriate clothing. Hmph.

Moroccan Visitors.jpg
    1960 x 889 - 445K
    Post edited by Oso3D on

Always important to stop and ask for directions!

Directions.jpg
    2160 x 1335 - 1M

Finally did it! ZAHARAAAA

Filters, of course.

Congrats! =) How long did the render take?

Always important to stop and ask for directions!

This is beyond cute!

I think about an hour? Ultimately I noticed it was Hd and had displacement, both of which are total overkill for that hair. Setting it to base and no displacement, plus no occlusion, got things reasonable.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Another thing about subdivision is that the "legacy" Catmull-Clark seems to often render faster in 3Delight than the newer Catmark, and in many cases they look very similar. HD figure morphs _require_ the new algo, but most other things don't.

All the tricks in the world can only do so much with 5 million hair LAMH!

Midway through hour 3...

But it's going to look awesome.

edited August 2017

Nice works from you Will! Seems you 3delight fingers came back to life ;)

I got a new one as well, made for Llola Llanes render a month challenge, this one is postworked

skyscape.png
    2000 x 750 - 1M
    Post edited by Linwelly on

I keep going back and forth.

i recently picked up reflective radiance, which REALLY helps with bounce stuff.

Whats frustrating is this wiggly line; Iray is often so much faster for stuff I like to do... or it crashes hard and I can't do what I want at all.

3dl is GENERALLY more consistent but if the image size gets much past 1080x1080, it starts taking an annoying length of time.

Trying to figure out how I can render this cat... in 3dl, it only looks good at about 4-5 million hairs, but that takes sooo long (even converted to UberSurface with occlusion off).

Tweaked shading rate and tried doubling hair width and only using 2 million hairs...

Hoping to render it in only 45-60 mins...

Really not happy with this, but figured I'd post it before I gave up.

Takes SO long to render a decently 'haired' LAMH item. And until Catalyzer works with stuff like this, it's even more of a nightmare trying to get it to work in Iray. Ah well.

The coloring is all blown out but I'm pretty much way past caring at this point.

Siamese cat 3dl.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 426K

Another 3DL with reflective radiance, plus post work. Postwork, particularly photographic and art filters, really help leap from the limitations I often feel in 3DL. A lot of scenes, particularly with human skin, just seem to be wanting in some way compared to Iray.

But even Iray doesn't quite get up to realism snuff without the same postwork, so... the end result is that for my workflow, 3DL is often quite sufficient or even superior. Most of the time, at least...

Piratess.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 534K

Takes SO long to render a decently 'haired' LAMH item. And until Catalyzer works with stuff like this, it's even more of a nightmare trying to get it to work in Iray. Ah well.

The coloring is all blown out but I'm pretty much way past caring at this point.

I think you are your own worst critique on this, I think the velvety furr works really nice for most parts, I see what you mean about the colour being blown out though, did you adjust gamma values for this?

A lot of scenes, particularly with human skin, just seem to be wanting in some way compared to Iray.

But even Iray doesn't quite get up to realism snuff without the same postwork, so...

It's not just 3D. If you see a good photo, chances are it was shot RAW and then tonemapped. In the very least =P

So it makes sense to do the same in 3D, whatever the software: render to a high dynamic range (linear workflow, of course) and then whack the result into shape.

What postprocessing won't fix, though, is that a lot of models we have to work with are essentially lo-poly and/or not meant for closeups. So we have all these awesome human figures, but the props, clothes and hair are often "not quite up to realism snuff" either. Comes with the affordable price range, I guess.

The fur's almost perfect, y'know? Especially if you did use the UberSurface w/o AO trick.

There are people out there who run Vue renders for days. And Iray on CPU for a dozen hours minimum. We could all learn from their patience. Zen, whatever.

Yeah, just too impatient. Heh.

i find that a lot of the LAMH fur models start looking really realistic at a pretty high hair count.

Yeah, just too impatient. Heh.

i find that a lot of the LAMH fur models start looking really realistic at a pretty high hair count.

And there may be a real-world explanation why... look what I found:

http://www.catsinfo.com/catfacts.html

There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside.

Humans only have about 120K hairs on their whole heads!

Otters are even worse. :)

They don't actually have waterproof hair, they have fur that's so dense water can't penetrate: 850k to a million per square inch!!

This discussion has been closed.