Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    Linwelly said:

Takes its sweet time to render though ;)

I have noticed that with certain lighting over the 'norm' spot, back, and keylights along with a few distant, etc.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,914
    Liana said:
    Linwelly said:

Takes its sweet time to render though ;)

I have noticed that with certain lighting over the 'norm' spot, back, and keylights along with a few distant, etc.

Things like " real" atmosphere means a lot to calculate on the surfaces for the renderer, that is why the godrays and other atmospheric effects that work with opacity maps on some kind of surface render so much faster. I use them too, even created my own set of different atmospheric effects to use on planes ( see my thread for more it you want) when ths situations allows that.

There is another situation that makes atmosphere with planes more usable, that is when you have a lot of translucency maps for other stuff in you render like leaves of trees and similar things. The real atmosphere makes the surface that contains the leaf visible, that is what happened to the edges of the feathers in my original render, so I needed some cover for that cool.

Linwelly said:

Things like " real" atmosphere means a lot to calculate on the surfaces for the renderer, that is why the godrays and other atmospheric effects that work with opacity maps on some kind of surface render so much faster. I use them too, even created my own set of different atmospheric effects to use on planes ( see my thread for more it you want) when ths situations allows that.

There is another situation that makes atmosphere with planes more usable, that is when you have a lot of translucency maps for other stuff in you render like leaves of trees and similar things. The real atmosphere makes the surface that contains the leaf visible, that is what happened to the edges of the feathers in my original render, so I needed some cover for that cool.

Thanks for sharing. I will have to take a look at your thread on that some more. I have thought about using planes, etc for helping with lighting.

Save

Here is a link to the place that tutorial starts: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1654176/#Comment_1654176

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    Linwelly said:
    kyoto kid said:

...reminds me of a scene from Maleficent.

Never saw that film ( not a Disney fan here) but thanks a lot.

..for Disney,  it was a surprisingly dark film.  None of that princess falling for the prince rubbish.

kyoto kid said:
    Linwelly said:
    kyoto kid said:

...reminds me of a scene from Maleficent.

Never saw that film ( not a Disney fan here) but thanks a lot.

..for Disney,  it was a surprisingly dark film.  None of that princess falling for the prince rubbish.

haha, that is good to know, maybe somethign even I could take a look at!

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822

I do a lot of photorealistic renders. I did this one in 2012 and it was featured in "World Hobby" magazine, (a world wide magazine) in December of 2012, and a few others they posted along with their interview with me about my realistic renders. I used Daz 3.0 and the included 3d Delight render engine. No other post work done. Just good reflections and light placement. I have put it all away for two years now, and I recently have gotten back into it and I love the Iray renderer. It reminds me of Reality renderer. Gotta bake that thing...lol. I hope it's ok to post some of my work up in here for all to share and comment on.

Hardtail.png
    960 x 768 - 1M
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822

Here are a few more...

HarleyYosimite.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 356K
    Marilyn.png
    960 x 768 - 668K
    1961Corvette.png
    960 x 768 - 1M
    1959ChevyApacheDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 228K
    1969CorvairMonzaHDRIBlack.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 322K
    SkylerBeach1.jpg
    981 x 859 - 654K
    edited March 2017

..Music, where ya been?  Love that Vette and Pickup.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

That is a nice collection Music and well worth showing. The Corvette definitely is my favorite but I like the girl on the beach as well.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Linwelly said:
    that is why the godrays and other atmospheric effects that work with opacity maps

I'm sorry to be the one pointing this out (I'm not a native speaker of English either), but: "godrays" are not that specific product (by SickleYield and/or Marshian IIRC). It's a commonly used expression that means the same as the more "scientific" sounding "crepuscular rays" (check out the Wikipedia article) - like those columns of sunlight pouring down from between clouds.

It's often used to mean just about any volumetric phenomenon IRL, like the light beams visible in the dusty air of your attic.

Again, I'm sorry, but misplaced terms trigger the teacher in me.

Linwelly said:
    I used a cone (primitive) with omnifreakers ubervolume shader.

A tip: if you are using an environment light with AO (like UE2 or AdvAmbient) and if you are not making use of the noise ("smoke swirls") that UberVolume can have, AoA's EasyVolume camera will render faster, especially if you use the "foglight" category on the light that creates your godrays. This way, the volume shader will disregard any other lights, including the environment one.

Linwelly said:
    that is why the godrays and other atmospheric effects that work with opacity maps

I'm sorry to be the one pointing this out (I'm not a native speaker of English either), but: "godrays" are not that specific product (by SickleYield and/or Marshian IIRC). It's a commonly used expression that means the same as the more "scientific" sounding "crepuscular rays" (check out the Wikipedia article) - like those columns of sunlight pouring down from between clouds.

It's often used to mean just about any volumetric phenomenon IRL, like the light beams visible in the dusty air of your attic.

Again, I'm sorry, but misplaced terms trigger the teacher in me.

Yes, thanks you are right Kettu, I kind of remember that, but I needed some way to differ between the two ways of making them without writing a novel :)

Linwelly said:
    I used a cone (primitive) with omnifreakers ubervolume shader.

A tip: if you are using an environment light with AO (like UE2 or AdvAmbient) and if you are not making use of the noise ("smoke swirls") that UberVolume can have, AoA's EasyVolume camera will render faster, especially if you use the "foglight" category on the light that creates your godrays. This way, the volume shader will disregard any other lights, including the environment one.

I had used the AOA easy volume cam on several occations in that way ( need to mention the easy cam setting  itself seems not to be working from DS4.8 on but the rest works fine) I had tried in that render as well but dismissed it for some reason I don't remember anymore ... brain... ? the AoA Cams are especially good when using atmosphere to gether with Marshians new reflecetive light sets.

edited April 2017

this is one going for a realistic portrait  using 3delight. For one I want to achieve better results doing portraits and on the other hand I wanted to try how far I can get with towards realism using 3delight.

There are some colour and brightness adjustments in post, otherwise its unaltered

Ng_Mui.png
    1500 x 844 - 2M
    Post edited by Linwelly on
    Linwelly said:

I had used the AOA easy volume cam on several occations in that way ( need to mention the easy cam setting  itself seems not to be working from DS4.8 on but the rest works fine)

I'm sorry but what setting do you mean exactly? The "foglight" category assignment works fine to this day. These days you can even assign categories to "basic" DS lights, not AoA lights.

Linwelly said:

I had used the AOA easy volume cam on several occations in that way ( need to mention the easy cam setting  itself seems not to be working from DS4.8 on but the rest works fine)

I'm sorry but what setting do you mean exactly? The "foglight" category assignment works fine to this day. These days you can even assign categories to "basic" DS lights, not AoA lights.

The one that didn't work for me is labeled "easy volume" with the EZ in the image. Its in cameras/ Atmospheric effects cameras. I've rarely used the foglight assignment ( it's been ages so I don't remember exacly but I think that worked fine.

Linwelly said:

The one that didn't work for me is labeled "easy volume" with the EZ in the image. Its in cameras/ Atmospheric effects cameras. I've rarely used the foglight assignment ( it's been ages so I don't remember exacly but I think that worked fine.

But it's the only one that supports the "foglight" category. It's an actual shader (not a shader mixer network like the others), so something may have gotten installed the wrong way. If you reinstall the package, it should work fine. It works in my latest 4.9 install, I just checked.

Oh BTW, the categories are in different places between AoA lights and basic DS lights. In AoA lights, they are in the "light" folder in the param tab, and in basic DS lights they are in "general".

UE2 also seems to have a category slot, but it doesn't look to be functional.

...some settings on both the Atmospheric Cameras and Advanced LIghts were broken with the 4.7 update. Has something to do with a change to a brick in the Shader Mixer.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

But the fog light thing works still. 

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Just a picture - no fog. :)

HeadShot.jpg
    600 x 900 - 84K

But the fog light thing works still. 

...I'm still disappointed that two of my most important tools are still somewhat hamstrung.  I could get some pretty nice results using them in a fraction of the time it takes UE (or Iray in CPU mode) to render.

I started off doing this in 3DL because I was thinking of doing it more NPR-ish, then I ended up liking a more realistic look and stuck with it. Heh.

SQUIRREL.png
    1748 x 1080 - 3M
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340

I started off doing this in 3DL because I was thinking of doing it more NPR-ish, then I ended up liking a more realistic look and stuck with it. Heh.

Great pict, but you're obviously having too much fun... wink

-- Walt Sterdan 

I was contemplating the four squirrels of the apocalypse, but the skins would be really tricky

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340

Great, now I'm going to have that stuck in my head as I drift off tonight... sad

-- Walt Sterdan

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited April 2017

Here's my SciFi using the 3DL version of Dominator and Digivault Stardome.  I prepped a NASA pic of NGC 5189 and loaded into the stardome.  I added a whole lotta point lights to mimic emissive lighting on the ship, and a little extra glow in postwork. 

Here's the first version:

Here's a version after applying some Nix filters:

Dominator Before Filters.jpg
    2200 x 963 - 2M
    Dominator Final.jpg
    2200 x 963 - 2M
    Post edited by dracorn on
    edited April 2017

dracorn said:

Here's my SciFi using the 3DL version of Dominator and Digivault Stardome.  I prepped a NASA pic of NGC 5189 and loaded into the stardome.  I added a whole lotta point lights to mimic emissive lighting on the ship, and a little extra glow in postwork. 

Here's the first version:

Here's a version after applying some Nix filters:

SaveI like those. :) I am sitting on fence about the squirrel model. I am just not sure if I like it all that much. I have seen other renders of it.

Post edited by Liana on

Lovely Dracorn! I like the way you used the NIK fildters as well

Very dramatic space travel.

edited April 2017

..I actually like the slight "bloom" effect of the lighting in the top one.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I was contemplating the four squirrels of the apocalypse, but the skins would be really tricky

Oh, what a visual.  That would be pretty interesting, Will.

This discussion has been closed.