Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    Szark said:

yep that is next on my list to get and learn is Substance Painter and Designer. I am finally in a position to do so. Been waiting to get my hands on it since it first came out.

Liana I knew who you were referring to just too polite to say. :P And thank you for the kind comments. :)

You're welcome  :D

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Liana said:

I have thought about this, wondered how the 'finished' texture in Blender might turn out, and if I could use it else where. Substance painter might be a bit out of my budget for now, but if I could get Blender to help me that is well within my budget.  It appears to me after watching a few videos that contained creating shaders in Blender they seem more straight forward than Daz's. I wonder where the baking of textures comes in? I have so much to learn yet. Hmmmmm.. Thanks for suggesting it Mustakettu85. I got your name right this time. Both you and Szark are very helpful. :)

Just "Kettu" is fine =) You're welcome and thanks.

Blender can bake procedural materials to image maps, if I'm not mistaken. So you could use the resulting maps anywhere.

If you ever consider getting the Substance software (or most other 3D commercial apps, like Silo), you might want to get a Steam licence. They are somewhat cheaper (and depending on the country, you may even get regional pricing that makes it even more attractive).

I even have Blender as a Steam app because the Steam client will autoupdate it, which I find super convenient.

Linwelly said:

Wow I like that rainbow effect on those pants! Ever thought of making soap bubbles with that? I would love that.

It's exactly that, the "thin film" function. The 3Delight dudes introduce it primarily for oxide film on metals, so it's a bit more complicated to get something that looks like bubbles... maybe something like this.

bubblz.png
    900 x 600 - 464K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    Liana said:
    I have been thinking about starting a new Blender for non techies thread so things like this can be shared and not fill up other threads, except my own art thread. :)

A Blender thread is always a nice thing to have. There was one I think, but I'm not sure if it´s still active.

...it is.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8736/who-said-blender-was-hard/p1

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,914
    Linwelly said:

Wow I like that rainbow effect on those pants! Ever thought of making soap bubbles with that? I would love that.

It's exactly that, the "thin film" function. The 3Delight dudes introduce it primarily for oxide film on metals, so it's a bit more complicated to get something that looks like bubbles... maybe something like this.

wow, very nice! But now you got me hooked, there is a thin film function for 3delight? Why have i never seen that one... just so much more to learn...

I will put my horse here as well, just because I love the way it turned out, no postwork

I like that Linwelly. :)

edited March 2017

...did you use Esha's Grassy Grounds or AOA's Grass Shader?  Whichever, it looks nice and lush.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

...did you use Esha's Grassy Grounds or AOA's Grass Shader?  Whichever, it looks nice and lush.

That is AOA's grass shader, thanks a lot both of you!

Linwelly said:

wow, very nice! But now you got me hooked, there is a thin film function for 3delight? Why have i never seen that one... just so much more to learn...

Thanks! Yeah there is, it's just that the DAZ devs didn't put it in the shader mixer or anywhere else in DS - there's a number of newer functions that went overlooked like that. So you need to write RSL shaders "manually" to get to use them.

Linwelly said:

Thanks! Yeah there is, it's just that the DAZ devs didn't put it in the shader mixer or anywhere else in DS - there's a number of newer functions that went overlooked like that. So you need to write RSL shaders "manually" to get to use them.

It just had to be that way... np, I'm not yet ready to write my shaders.. I guess they day will come but I'm far from that.

It's a pity, I hope they will make an effort to integrate that stuff becaus I guess at some point they will be happy to still have a GC brand independent renderer...

• kyoto kid said:
    Liana said:
    I have been thinking about starting a new Blender for non techies thread so things like this can be shared and not fill up other threads, except my own art thread. :)

A Blender thread is always a nice thing to have. There was one I think, but I'm not sure if it´s still active.

...it is.

I never said Blender was hard... I thought that was implied... roflmao.
    Linwelly said:
    It's a pity, I hope they will make an effort to integrate that stuff becaus I guess at some point they will be happy to still have a GC brand independent renderer...

I guess they simply don't have a dedicated developer who would be able to keep up with everything that the DNA dudes do. For instance, 3Delight 13 is coming, and then the OSL tracer will be out of beta. The OSL tracer is leaps and bounds ahead of the RSL tracer performance-wise and seems to outdo a number of competitor CPU renderers as well. But to get it to work seamlessly with DS, you need to support a new API and you need actual OSL shaders.

So I'm not counting on there ever being official support.

DAZ is a small company, and you just cannot expect Rob Whisenant to handle it all alone.

kyoto kid said:
    Liana said:

...it is.

I never said Blender was hard... I thought that was implied... roflmao.

Wait before you've tried Maya. When I did, I plain said to myself that if working in VFX means using Maya, I'd rather stay a hobbyist and stick to Blender. ...aaaalthough Blender is getting bigger (because there are more and more smaller studios).

The "hard" thing comes from "no logic whatsoever" and "just how many bugs can there be" things. At least Blender is open source.

edited March 2017
    Linwelly said:

I guess they simply don't have a dedicated developer who would be able to keep up with everything that the DNA dudes do. For instance, 3Delight 13 is coming, and then the OSL tracer will be out of beta. The OSL tracer is leaps and bounds ahead of the RSL tracer performance-wise and seems to outdo a number of competitor CPU renderers as well. But to get it to work seamlessly with DS, you need to support a new API and you need actual OSL shaders.

So I'm not counting on there ever being official support.

DAZ is a small company, and you just cannot expect Rob Whisenant to handle it all alone.

...no conversion like 3DL to, Iray, Octane, or Lux then?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

...no conversion like 3DL to, Iray, Octane, or Lux then?

I'm sorry I don't understand why you are asking about "conversion" and what you mean by it.

...materials conversion from RSL to OSL.  Iray, Octane and Lux all have material conversion routines that translate Daz .duf/RSL materials into the format they use for rendering.

Ah, those. You do realise, though, that these routines do not "convert" anything but simply read the parameter values from the DS interface? And then these parameters are inserted into the calls to similar material models of those renderers, possibly with some adjustment/remapping to account for, say, different roughness curves in the spec/glossy model.

The developers use their best judgement to figure out which material model of the target renderer best corresponds to a channel named this or that way, but sometimes the matching algos fail and the result makes little sense.

Outside of actual shader authoring in shader builder/mixer, DS is not directly aware at all of the source language that the shaders are written in. Most RSL shaders for DS historically come without any source whatsoever, only the compiled versions being supplied.

If the OSL tracer wasn't using a new API for shader calls, we could reuse the Ri API that DS already has and just use compiled .oso files instead of .sdl.

...so the new API is the issue then, bugger.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited March 2017

Showing an image.

PlatinumBlonde.jpg
    600 x 900 - 88K
    Post edited by Gone on

...that looks really good.  Love the hair.  It looks like....hair.

I need to get back into working with Garibaldi, just that dealing with G3F is a bit of a pain because of the change to the mapping structure.

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Well, that hasn't been an issue for me yet. I still haven't been able to bring myself to using either the G2 or G3 line of figures to any great extent.

G1 is just too darn versatile for me to give up - and since I don't really care for the whole photoreal stuff and iRay that seems to be all the rage now....

Sarah.jpg
    600 x 900 - 64K

...G2 for me is not an issue as it uses the same mapping structure as "Genesis Classic" (as I call it).  G3 however poses and morphs a bit better (particularly expressions).  Just that the workarounds I've heard of seem kind of cumbersome.

edited March 2017

here is another on in 3delight, though this is postworked quite much ( well for me)

Seelenvogel.png
    1512 x 788 - 1M
    Post edited by Linwelly on

...reminds me of a scene from Maleficent.

kyoto kid said:

...reminds me of a scene from Maleficent.

Never saw that film ( not a Disney fan here) but thanks a lot.

Nice images everyone. :) I like the light rays. Is that the 'godrays' as people call them Linwelly?

Liana said:

Nice images everyone. :) I like the light rays. Is that the 'godrays' as people call them Linwelly?

It's not the godrays as you can buy them but I used a cone (primitive) with omnifreakers ubervolume shader. the difference is that the godrays often work with suface structures that can become visible at certain angles. though there is some anhancement in postwork. the original render was looking like this:

Linwelly said:

It's not the godrays as you can buy them but I used a cone (primitive) with omnifreakers ubervolume shader. the difference is that the godrays often work with suface structures that can become visible at certain angles. though there is some anhancement in postwork. the original render was looking like this:

SaveOooo.. Even better something a person can do themselves. I like that. I can see the difference, but still a cool effect. :)

Liana said:
    Linwelly said:

SaveOooo.. Even better something a person can do themselves. I like that. I can see the difference, but still a cool effect. :)

Takes its sweet time to render though ;)

This discussion has been closed.