Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited January 2017

I like that pretty cool. :)

Been playing in 3Delight today.  Rendered in 3DL with post in both Filter Forge and Gimp 2.9 Beta.

Gallery Link

Post edited by Liana on
  • Thanks, @Liana

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Liana said:

Thanks! That preset uses a simple "varnish layer" model with some absorption, it's mathematically very simple but looks nice. There's a sci article floating out there describing it, and it's also used in 3Delight Maya materials.

Is that a material or shader preset?

It's part of a custom RSL shader. If I live long enough, there will be a free release of a complete "kit". Of course it's already outdated because 3Delight is moving on to use OSL (a better shading language), but I'm not sure DS will ever get the facilities to reliably support a new API this OSLtracer requires.

Tiles. And the 'extras' portion of my web comic explains some stuff, particularly mai and humans.

Found it, yay! Reading now...

Liana said:

Thanks! That preset uses a simple "varnish layer" model with some absorption, it's mathematically very simple but looks nice. There's a sci article floating out there describing it, and it's also used in 3Delight Maya materials.

Is that a material or shader preset?

It's part of a custom RSL shader. If I live long enough, there will be a free release of a complete "kit". Of course it's already outdated because 3Delight is moving on to use OSL (a better shading language), but I'm not sure DS will ever get the facilities to reliably support a new API this OSLtracer requires.

oh? so this existing 3DL in daz will possibly continue to become more outdated? I am not that sold on iray for many reasons yet

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...that is sad.

• edited January 2017
    I don't usually bother with 'Shaders' in 3Delight. I have no idea at the moment about RSL or OSL. I use textures that are JPEGs or PNGs when changing the look of an item. I am more concerned with making sure my lighting is right and usually go with 4 point lighting. The composition is very important to me. Camera placement and lens used. The only time I have used shader mixer is so I could use the "Shadow Catcher" which is usable in 3Delight and that I can't use when I am rendering in LuxRender. The Ultimate Shader Pack available for free and for commercial use is something I highly recommend from ShareCG. The metals and leather turn out very nice.

In fact, there are already so many good assets available for daz and poser that works in DAZ Studio. So many free or low cost because of the newer assets that have been coming out for G G2 G3 and Iray. (So in one sense I am left behind but that is okay.) I found that V3 and V4 and the various females and males that are of that line very much still usable for me. One (two) item(s) I highly recommend are available at Renderosity. It is called Perfect V4 Complete - Full Body Fix By: Xameva, (and also Perfect Booty M4 - Automatic Fix By: Xameva, meipe). Works well with the 4 and 3 lines so shoulders and gluts, etc don't look rediculous.

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • Even with G3 I found that if you want skin to look good, you need good textures. [list a few here at DAZ] http://www.daz3d.com/sc-laurana-for-genesis-3-female and by Second Circle for example over at Rendo such as Helena for G2F and Adele for V4.2. I don't necessarily buy for the body shape although that is a bonus. I buy for the skin textures. I could move the character skin from one to another and also move freckles around in photoshop. I look for the imperfections that make it look perfect. I like the freckles, birthmarks, veins that make the character look human. It seemed to me long overlooked here at DAZ3D. Plenty of finger nails, eye colour, and now starting with tattoos. But to get goosebumps and pours and peachfuzz.... Yeah they have been coming out with veins popping in HD add-ons but requires more powerful PC to handle that add-on. I want it there in the texture and not look 'ugly' like some body builder who has nothing else to do. Well unless that is what is required along with blackheads and rosacea.
  • edited January 2017
    My settings for humans is select everything of the character and change it from plastic to skin in the surfaces tab. Then select the eyes, mouth, teeth, finger nails, toe nails, and change those to plastic high gloss. Those are also the only setting I change before I go into Luxrender through Reality 2.5. I'll make my other adjustments in Reality. If staying in 3Delight, I will continue the surface adjustments such as concrete walls change plastic to matte. Windows to percentage of reflection and get rid of the reflection map that comes with it. Hair, I usually change from plastic to either skin or matte depending on how the render is turning out. The surfaces that are set to skin and not glossy, I might attempt to change to SSS but that's a whole other ballgame.
    Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • One other thing I usually check for before going to render is the prevention of poke throughs of skin and clothes and to make hair behave smoothly while also not poking into the body.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10764/apply-smoothing-modifier-and-collision-iterations.

Even with G3 I found that if you want skin to look good, you need good textures. [list a few here at DAZ] http://www.daz3d.com/sc-laurana-for-genesis-3-female and by Second Circle for example over at Rendo such as Helena for G2F and Adele for V4.2. I don't necessarily buy for the body shape although that is a bonus. I buy for the skin textures. I could move the character skin from one to another and also move freckles around in photoshop. I look for the imperfections that make it look perfect. I like the freckles, birthmarks, veins that make the character look human. It seemed to me long overlooked here at DAZ3D. Plenty of finger nails, eye colour, and now starting with tattoos. But to get goosebumps and pours and peachfuzz.... Yeah they have been coming out with veins popping in HD add-ons but requires more powerful PC to handle that add-on. I want it there in the texture and not look 'ugly' like some body builder who has nothing else to do. Well unless that is what is required along with blackheads and rosacea.

...not having much of a budget to work with I am unable to buy a bunch of character shapes just for the skin textures.  G2 and Genesis still had the benefit of using older skins, (some of the Gen4 ones were actually very nice quality).  Given the change in mapping structure with G3, using older skins was no longer possible without some form of conversion tool (shades of the old "XD days", but for skins instead of clothing).

In a few weeks Skin Builder Pro3 should be released, then with G3F I will finally be in business.

edited January 2017
    My settings for humans is select everything of the character and change it from plastic to skin in the surfaces tab. Then select the eyes, mouth, teeth, finger nails, toe nails, and change those to plastic high gloss. Those are also the only setting I change before I go into Luxrender through Reality 2.5. I'll make my other adjustments in Reality. If staying in 3Delight, I will continue the surface adjustments such as concrete walls change plastic to matte. Windows to percentage of reflection and get rid of the reflection map that comes with it. Hair, I usually change from plastic to either skin or matte depending on how the render is turning out. The surfaces that are set to skin and not glossy, I might attempt to change to SSS but that's a whole other ballgame.

That is pretty much the direction I have been going in my learning and experimenting process. Thanks for sharing waht you do and aother useful info. :)

Post edited by Liana on
    edited January 2017

I have been working on modeling in Hexagon, creating morphs, refitting outfits in hexagon, etc. I have been busy because i know nothing about Hexagon, but have some experience using blender and sketch-up. It was not too hard to adjust to. I finally did a complete retexture of an item I was working on refitting to other figures which has been an interesting quest all by itself. Here is one of my experiments with a bit of help from my new friend. She jumped up to Genesis3. I was working on V4 fit for this A3 dress which I really like. Hurdles and learning. LOL

The first dress is the original texture and the second one is my new texture. I pretty much left things as is. I wanted to compare, but tweaking as needed.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/f1/1eb9ad0025d0f934a5c9ad0154b0bf.pnghttp://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/52/d6d38a52c3d38cdcb5d76badbede25.png

starlight dress red.png
    530 x 500 - 144K
    starlight dress blue.png
    636 x 600 - 165K
    Post edited by Liana on
  • DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited January 2017

uh-oh! ...they let me at the shader mixer machine

shadermixerman.jpg
    1708 x 1189 - 136K
    Post edited by DigiDotz on
    edited January 2017

...that looks as good as a number of Iray renderings I've seen

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    I don't usually bother with 'Shaders' in 3Delight. I have no idea at the moment about RSL or OSL.

Fun stuff: shaders are always there, even if you don't know what they are. That little "DAZ Default" thing in the surfaces tab, where you change the mode from "plastic" to "skin" and so on, is a simple shader written in RSL. Same as each and every light you add into the scene - they are all shaders.

A shader is a small-ish program that tells the actual renderer how to "shade" (in the "art" sense of the word) the surface or volume: how it interacts with light.

Even "Shader Mixer" creates little pieces of code behind the scenes. The user just has no way to actually see and correct this code.

DigiDotz said:

uh-oh! ...they let me at the shader mixer machine

The DoF really makes the difference here; very well done!

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,462
    edited March 2017

Just found this thread! I'm still using 3Delight and creating products for it. The image below was created with my new set Reflective Radiance for 3Delight. The set calculates bounce light and includes 23 light presets.

Post edited by Marshian on
  • Welcome Marshian. Interesting product this one.

http://www.daz3d.com/reflective-radiance-for-3delight

If anyone is using this, please post your render and or experience with it here.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,913

You asked for it Barefoot, here is is:

These are what I made as fully finished renders with Marshians Refelctive radiance,

In my thread you will find some test renders with different environmental light sets from the reflective radiance.  I had the chance to test the product in advance and I'm really happy with how it works.

• @Linwelly I like that glow in the dark effect. Link to your thread please?
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,913
    @Linwelly I like that glow in the dark effect. Link to your thread please?

Ah sorry I thought I had one in my signature, here it is: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67611/linwelly-s-grove#latest.

You'll have to get to the last page for the Reflective radiance renders.

• Linwelly said:
    @Linwelly I like that glow in the dark effect. Link to your thread please?

Ah sorry I thought I had one in my signature, here it is: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67611/linwelly-s-grove#latest.

You'll have to get to the last page for the Reflective radiance renders.

It is probably still in your signature but I am using a mobile phone that strips off the excess to save on data... or so they say... yeah right.

Thank you, will check it out.

Linwelly said:

These are what I made as fully finished renders with Marshians Refelctive radiance,

Very artsy images =) I guess Marshian's kit really lends itself to those magical/otherworldly type of scenes, what with how bright the bounce tends to look.

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    edited March 2017

Here's the my recent one. The straight render (added backdrop though) and then again after post work 

Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • Here's the my recent one. The straight render (added backdrop though) and then again after post work 

Which skin texture did you use? Top one has a lovely warm tone.
    edited March 2017

I have been actually doing some modeling in Blender (barbwire fence) and tried to 'paint' the daz cow a new hide. I am still working on the later though. This is what I have done and rendered in 3DL.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/6a/442fcaa6779451728c5682bef803de.png

Down on the farm.png
    971 x 600 - 858K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited March 2017
    Liana said:

I have been actually doing some modeling in Blender (barbwire fence) and try to 'paint' the daz cow a new hide. I am still working on the later though. This is what I have done and rendered in 3DL.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/6a/442fcaa6779451728c5682bef803de.png

I'm impressed! A country mouse, bird, three cats and two holy cows on top of it all. My PC would buck on anything other than the barn.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited March 2017

Thanks Barefoot. :) Oh, doing a scene in 3DL?

I have 16 GB of ram memory plus a 4GB graphics card. I would like more memory but mine went up about $25 (more like $104 for 16 GB. I got it for $76 last year) even on sale now.

Post edited by Liana on
  • The CG PC I am using now on XP SP3 has 3GB RAM, is a second generation P4 with HT and the GPU is an ATI 9200 Radion with VRAM at either 128 or 256MB. It is supposed to be used for scanning in analog photos and film or use with my Wacom tablet for drawing. I just couldn't get the money together to replace my burned out DAZ / Reallusion computer so I temporarily installed them on this old thing. For what I intended it for it works great. For 3D graphics, forget it. DAZ is at 4.6 on this and sometimes DAZ shuts off while in the middle of a render. So I do the scene in LuxRender via Reality 2.5. I did this render of a cabin without the render farm. Five of those computers also burned out. They (my landlord) overheat my apartment building. Cold air doesn't come in through the heat barrier when I open the windows.
    Log Cabin.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
This discussion has been closed.