Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

That's really nice. :)

I had a similiar pc last about this time when it died. I did not have anything else sooo, I had to invest in an upgrade. I figured if I am going to do anything in daz I needed something with a little more power.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

Here's the my recent one. The straight render (added backdrop though) and then again after post work 

...oooh, the skin in the first one looks really good. Much beter than I see in Iray.

Liana said:

Thanks Barefoot. :) Oh, doing a scene in 3DL?

I have 16 GB of ram memory plus a 4GB graphics card. I would like more memory but mine went up about $25 (more like $104 for 16 GB. I got it for $76 last year) even on sale now.

...am looking to upgrade my system from 12 GB  to 24 however the price of the few 24 GB kitsa vailable that would work for my system jumped over 60$ in the last couple months.

kyoto kid said:
    Liana said:

Thanks Barefoot. :) Oh, doing a scene in 3DL?

I have 16 GB of ram memory plus a 4GB graphics card. I would like more memory but mine went up about $25 (more like $104 for 16 GB. I got it for $76 last year) even on sale now.

...am looking to upgrade my system from 12 GB  to 24 however the price of the few 24 GB kitsa vailable that would work for my system jumped over 60$ in the last couple months.

I have noticed the jumps in price. It's crazy.

edited March 2017

...especially for older generation components. My system uses tri channel DDR3 1333.  When I originally built my system, 24 GB was almost 800$  It fell to a low of 114$ last winter, but as I was (and still am) on a tight fixed income I couldn't get it at the time.  Now it's 180$ (and I still need to get an OEM of W7 Pro as I have Home Edition so tack on another 135$ to that)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2017

Ouch either way... :(

I do really like the skin on deathbycanon's render.

I have been trying out the new 3DL radiance light product. I like the plain portrait lights best I think and so far anything else is taking forever to even get started rendering. I am short on patience when it comes to that. lol

The first scene is my setting up of lights from scratch. The second scene is using Marshian's radiance lights. Everything else is exactly the same just the change in lights.

I am trying to replace some lights in my older scenes to see how they work. I am not sure at this point if changing the shaders of anything that is not daz default is necessary for speeding up the render time. I have done so for other reasons.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/bd/9196736dad46fc8ce2775abad5507e.pnghttp://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/5c/ecf96a70d7194a479f9341a5d2ad08.png

Gathering.png
    400 x 647 - 431K
    Gathering02.png
    400 x 647 - 441K
    Post edited by Liana on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,913
    Liana said:

Ouch either way... :(

I do really like the skin on deathbycanon's render.

I have been trying out the new 3DL radiance light product. I like the plain portrait lights best I think and so far anything else is taking forever to even get started rendering. I am short on patience when it comes to that. lol

The first scene is my setting up of lights from scratch. The second scene is using Marshian's radiance lights. Everything else is exactly the same just the change in lights.

I am trying to replace some lights in my older scenes to see how they work. I am not sure at this point if changing the shaders of anything that is not daz default is necessary for speeding up the render time. I have done so for other reasons.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/bd/9196736dad46fc8ce2775abad5507e.pnghttp://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/5c/ecf96a70d7194a479f9341a5d2ad08.png

There are several options for you with  Marshians product to speed up render time. For one you can use the occlusion off setting on hair and plants in the background ( everything with a lot of opacity maps). You can apply the (light)skin adjustment to the ladys skin and leather dress ( press control while clicking and then choose ignore in the popup, while keep the surfacemaps intact), and you can regulate the intesity of the reflective light ( Ioften use 150% ) and reduce the Bounce distance to eg 200. If you want to go for the emissive shaders it is important to get the bounce and the intensity high.

I hope that helps, I'm impatient myself when it comes to render times.

I will have to give that a try linwelly thanks. :)

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Liana said:

I have been actually doing some modeling in Blender (barbwire fence) and tried to 'paint' the daz cow a new hide. I am still working on the later though. This is what I have done and rendered in 3DL.

A nice fence model you've got there! Did you paint the cow in Blender as well?

Thanks Mustakettu85. :)

I painted the cow in photoshop with some fur/hair brushes I got. I still have to work on fur/hair painting skills though. I watched a bunch of videos on painting texturing in blender and thought oh cool. I tried to paint her in Blender but the way she is set-up does not allow me to do a very good job of it. It would have been fun to put some particle hairs on her too. One day maybe.

I see. Painting in a 2D app is a feat, I applaud you. Seams are so hard to work with in a 2D app.

If the problem with painting the cow is how its legs are set up, you could probably export an obj of a posed cow?

edited March 2017

I see. Painting in a 2D app is a feat, I applaud you. Seams are so hard to work with in a 2D app.

If the problem with painting the cow is how its legs are set up, you could probably export an obj of a posed cow?

Thanks I have done quit a bit of texturing of 3D items not on daz stuff though the concept is the basically the same, so I have a little practice. I know I have not even learned all I could at this point in creating textures. Painting in general of fur/hair in this case is a bit harder to make it look good. I just need more practice. :)

I guess this might be a bit off topic for this thread or maybe not because it deals with the surfaces(textures, uvmaps, etc) of objects being rendered in 3DL.

Seams would be easier if mapped properly so matching of colors, etc would go more smoothly.The nose is a bit of a problem because the creator made it its own uvmap so matching that up is a pain, the ear part on the uvmap is a bit small, and the eye maps are seamed incorrectly, the rest of her is not bad. I did export her from daz into Blender. I had to join her together or she would fall apart (don't really know why at this point). I made sure I exported her with her assigned polys. I had done it in Daz, but since I have learned how to assign polys in Blender, which actually makes separting out the uvmapping bits easier for bringing into a paint program to paint. The down side of this means I have more painting layers to deal with. The upside is I can be slightly messy in my painting and be able to more easily clean it up later, especially smaller parts like the hooves and declaws.

I have learned a lot in Daz, Hexagon, Blender, and the cow her self just playing with her. The plan is for myself to do 'cosmic surgery' on her and fix her up. :)

I have been thinking about starting a new Blender for non techies thread so things like this can be shared and not fill up other threads, except my own art thread. :)

Post edited by Liana on
  • It's not off topic due to texturing is an important part of 3Delight rendering.
    edited March 2017
    It's not off topic due to texturing is an important part of 3Delight rendering.

Thanks, I have pretty much come to that conclusion myself. I am just not always sure if others share my same thoughts. So I am starting from the start or basics of the textures/surfaces/shaders and working my way up so to speak. Trying to learn how lighting works in conjunction with it all while trying to figure out how to simplify it in the process if that is even possible. Ha! I think my brain might explode. For me it might mean disecting an object to see how it's made or creating my own from scratch if I can find it or in most cases it gets a bit spendy to buy everything too. Of course this means my 'art work' might not be all that eye appealing to others in the process. :)

Post edited by Liana on
  • Textures and surfaces include changing signs on buildings, lables on products, faceshop, LIE, etc. Making barbed wire shinny new or rusted old, different type of wood, stone, clothing, etc.

I tend to start off with what is there and paste over it in photoshop.

Textures and surfaces include changing signs on buildings, lables on products, faceshop, LIE, etc. Making barbed wire shinny new or rusted old, different type of wood, stone, clothing, etc.

I tend to start off with what is there and paste over it in photoshop.

Agree :) I have actually been starting to use both Gimp (started with it first) and photoshop depending on what my needs are.

edited March 2017

...unfortunately digital painting is out of the question for me because of my very stiff, painful, unsteady hands (which is why I had to give up "old school" drawing and  painting).  This is also why I don't do much postwork other than adjusting tone mapping, applying filters, simple compositing, or adding text.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

...unfortunately digital painting is out of the question for me because of my very stiff, painful, unsteady hands (which is why I had to give up "old school" drawing and  painting).  This is also why I don't do much postwork other than adjusting tone mapping, applying filters, simple compositing, or adding text.

That's too bad. I have tendonitis so the tablet helps there for sure. Texturing/painting can be tendious work that is for sure.

...a tablet is useless for me as it is just like holding a brush or pencil and I pretty much have no more pressure control.

Liana said:
    I have been thinking about starting a new Blender for non techies thread so things like this can be shared and not fill up other threads, except my own art thread. :)

A Blender thread is always a nice thing to have. There was one I think, but I'm not sure if it´s still active.

Liana said:
    ...since I have learned how to assign polys in Blender, which actually makes separting out the uvmapping bits easier for bringing into a paint program to paint. The down side of this means I have more painting layers to deal with. The upside is I can be slightly messy in my painting and be able to more easily clean it up later, especially smaller parts like the hooves and declaws.

Makes sense. UV mapping is important for 3D painting, too. Actually, depending on the program, even whether polys are assigned to the same surface or not can matter. For instance, here I was trying to add particle effects in Substance Painter, simulating burns, but I didn't realise that particles won't go from one named surface to another, so the robe looks as if it's been stitched from burnt fabric rather than burnt whole. // 3Delight renders, obviously //

robe_full.png
    800 x 800 - 474K
    robe_closeup.png
    600 x 1000 - 903K
    Liana said:

Of course this means my 'art work' might not be all that eye appealing to others in the process. :)

It takes literally years for me to have everything ready for a scene the way I want it. If I ever post "finished" images, they are either "evolved test renders" or a blast of random inspiration, for instance, from an interesting contest (I don't enter to win because I rarely do, which is obvious since I am not an artist; I enter to challenge myself and hopefully learn something in the process of meeting a deadline).

Since we were speaking about texturing, I think I might as well share a few test renders I have of the items I textured in Substance Painter (successfully this time). They are part of a fanart character I'm building. // 3Delight, yup //

The leather pants are this way because they are magic armour actually.

firstexpgreaves.png
    600 x 1000 - 905K
    drakehidegloves.png
    700 x 700 - 585K
    cloverboots.png
    700 x 700 - 360K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,913
    Liana said:

Of course this means my 'art work' might not be all that eye appealing to others in the process. :)

It takes literally years for me to have everything ready for a scene the way I want it. If I ever post "finished" images, they are either "evolved test renders" or a blast of random inspiration, for instance, from an interesting contest (I don't enter to win because I rarely do, which is obvious since I am not an artist; I enter to challenge myself and hopefully learn something in the process of meeting a deadline).

Since we were speaking about texturing, I think I might as well share a few test renders I have of the items I textured in Substance Painter (successfully this time). They are part of a fanart character I'm building. // 3Delight, yup //

The leather pants are this way because they are magic armour actually.

Wow I like that rainbow effect on those pants! Ever thought of making soap bubbles with that? I would love that.

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Inspired by a recent movie poster.

ToughGirl.jpg
    600 x 900 - 98K
    edited March 2017

I see what you mean Mustakettu85 ( fixed that hehe) about the shirt and the burnt part. It is still pretty good. :)

I do like your other clothing parts and how you painted them. I think leather is hard to imitate/paint at least for myself even if I use pictures, etc.

I am signed up for devianart also, but I don't do much there. You have some really nice renders that I like. I have added you to my watch list. :)

I did start a 'Blender for Daz Tips and Art' thread in the art forum. Now I need a lighting and surfaces for dummies thread. lol :P

Post edited by Liana on

Nice render Gone :)

Liana said:

I see what you mean Szark about the shirt and the burnt part. It is still pretty good. :)

Sorry, I think you meant me not Szark, right? Thanks =)

Liana said:

I think leather is hard to imitate/paint at least for myself even if I use pictures, etc.

The good thing about Substance Painter is that it comes with a number of procedural material generators that you just need to tweak. And you can find many other materials like that, called "substances", for sale or for free (or you can roll your own, but you need a yet another commercial app for it). Then you just need to plug the maps in the right way in your shader. =)

I think a similar thing can be done in Blender with its numerous nodes, but somehow I only use Blender as a "mini-Houdini", for particle sims, fluid sims, cloth sims etc.

Liana said:

I see what you mean Szark about the shirt and the burnt part. It is still pretty good. :)

Sorry, I think you meant me not Szark, right? Thanks =)

Opps my mistake I was still sleeping yet I knew who wrote the post. LOL I guess I have too many threads I follow. :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited March 2017

yep that is next on my list to get and learn is Substance Painter and Designer. I am finally in a position to do so. Been waiting to get my hands on it since it first came out.

Liana I knew who you were referring to just too polite to say. :P And thank you for the kind comments. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    The good thing about Substance Painter is that it comes with a number of procedural material generators that you just need to tweak. And you can find many other materials like that, called "substances", for sale or for free (or you can roll your own, but you need a yet another commercial app for it). Then you just need to plug the maps in the right way in your shader. =)

I think a similar thing can be done in Blender with its numerous nodes, but somehow I only use Blender as a "mini-Houdini", for particle sims, fluid sims, cloth sims etc.

I have thought about this, wondered how the 'finished' texture in Blender might turn out, and if I could use it else where. Substance painter might be a bit out of my budget for now, but if I could get Blender to help me that is well within my budget.  It appears to me after watching a few videos that contained creating shaders in Blender they seem more straight forward than Daz's. I wonder where the baking of textures comes in? I have so much to learn yet. Hmmmmm.. Thanks for suggesting it Mustakettu85. I got your name right this time. Both you and Szark are very helpful. :)

This discussion has been closed.