Getting on the 9 train, or not

Comments

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171
    edited October 2022
    AllenArt said:

Totally agree on the hairline. There are a few hair PA's that make really nice male hair lines: a few that come to mind are Sarah Payne, Neftis (but that can be hit and miss), Latisis Imagery, Redz.

Totally agree, and I hope for G9 the black hairline defect (skullcap intersecting with the head geometry etc) AND the black sclera defect (when the figure is too far away from world centre) when rendering with Iray would be solved (trust me I already tried with all 3 instancing optimization options, sometimes nothing helps)
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,929

After playing with G9 for some time now, it will not look like, I am jumping on that train. Some advance expressions, that would make G9 valuable are already in G8.1. Joint bending is not that much better and high detail maps can also be used on any older Genesis Figure.
    I might purchase some characters, that look outstanding. it will be most likely male characters, for the mesh and basic shape looks like more supporting more male, than female characters.
    So it won't be that long happy journey, but more like an off and on short trip with only a few stops on that train.

So far the eyes of G9 is the only selling point to me. If I am doing close up renders I MAY use G9 solely because of the eyes. How shoulders / elbows / knees / wrists bend remain problematic to me, it either looks like noodle bending or dislocated or even the joints nonexistent
    Screenshot_20221029-193557_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1080 x 2340 - 649K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Did you read Pendraia's and the following comments about "noodle" joints?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7806836/#Comment_7806836

edited October 2022
    Kerya said:

Did you read Pendraia's and the following comments about "noodle" joints?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7806836/#Comment_7806836

Yes of course, that doesn't quite change my mind though. Still find G8 joint bends look better in general. So unless fully covered in clothes, I will still use G8 if my figure has to expose the shoulders / elbows / knees / wrists.

...or maybe some PAs forgot to dial in the base joint correctives... ?

Post edited by CHWT on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,911
    Would you guys say G9 eyes just have superior maps, or is there something fundamentally different about their geometry (aside from them being separate from the figure)
  • As soon as I am not chicken to install DS 4.21 I may in the future look into G9. But for now I'll stick with what I have.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,809

having another tool(figure) in the files isn't really a bad thing, meaning at least G9 Starter Essentials, and perhaps the morphs ... it already comes with 4 skins. Some of the G8 clothes do fit as well as the hair, so that initial investment for morphs is sort of minimal in the overall scheme of DAZness. 
    Maybe I'll just get on the 1st car for a bit

• SolitarySandpiperSolitarySandpiper Posts: 511
    edited October 2022

There should have been open carriages with bands playing and people rejoicing... compelling anyone and everyone to hop on and join the jaw dropping, ultra advanced party train! 

Instead we got.....

(fill in however you see fit)

Richard looks on, astride the upcoming Daz horse 3 (sporting the new train wreck head morph)

R.jpg
    2000 x 1340 - 232K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

"vicky's expressions are lacking detail, they're still afraid to put wrinkles on a woman's face"

lol, no one is "afraid to put wrinkles on a woman", geez. You don't have the FACS Detail Strength slider on. It allows you to control as much of the detail as you want, in case you don't want as much, or you might be working with a cartoon character where realistic folds and lines would look strange.

OT but this picture is giving me life - she looks like one of the victims in the H***r***** movies, love it
  • The geometry is too uniform for sculpting at base resolution. The lack of individual mat zones for things like lips and sclera is also a deal breaker. Hard pass unless DAZ at least makes HD morphs available to everyone.

• I've worked with G9 for a few days now.

I found I like G9 for a number of reasons.  The skin renders very well and looks beautiful.  

I walked through the video on converting G8 characters to G9 and it worked much better than the conversion of V4 to G8 (which was my last jump) 

Since I can keep the characters I tell stories with I've decided to board the G9 train for where it will take me. :) 

• Initially not a big fan, but starting to warm to G9. I was using all Transfer Utility morphs straight from the donor, and always had some unwanted distortion. Started using the Auto-Fit style morph conversion, and it works much better. I am also impressed with the skin, this is the first time I can recall seeing the untanned areas in the light wrinkles at the hip/thigh area. All of the asymmetry morphs are a nice touch, and quick to use, without being overbearing. Still experimenting. TD

• terry_duquetteterry_duquette Posts: 256
    edited October 2022

Initially not a big fan, but starting to warm to G9. I was using all Transfer Utility morphs straight from the donor, and always had some unwanted distortion. Started using the Auto-Fit style morph conversion, and it works much better. I am also impressed with the skin, this is the first time I can recall seeing the untanned areas in the light wrinkles at the hip/thigh area. All of the asymmetry morphs are a nice touch, and quick to use, without being overbearing. Still experimenting. TD

G9 All G8F Morphs.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 985K
    Post edited by terry_duquette on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Definitely in the "not" pile.

I didn't even jump on Genesis 8 until last year, and skipped 8.1 entirely, as it smelled a pointless stopgap.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,958
    edited October 2022

...+1

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DandeneDandene Posts: 162

I haven't jumped on the train yet.  I can't really afford to upgrade right now and honestly, I'm still updating characters to 8.1 (I mean, I have a lot).  Not quite ready to upgrade to another generation yet and update my skin settings.  I might pick up G9 eventually, but for now I'm happy with G8 and G8.1.  I'd mostly pick it up for testing purposes.  

• GatorGator Posts: 1,294

Dandene said:

I haven't jumped on the train yet.  I can't really afford to upgrade right now and honestly, I'm still updating characters to 8.1 (I mean, I have a lot).  Not quite ready to upgrade to another generation yet and update my skin settings.  I might pick up G9 eventually, but for now I'm happy with G8 and G8.1.  I'd mostly pick it up for testing purposes.  

@Dandene - speaking of upgrading, I haven't had time to research.  Is there a way to bake G3 base/G8 textures to G 8.1?

Because I'm sure you're aware the UVs are different.  I'd actually like to bake G3 to G8.1 or G9.

• Gator said:

Dandene said:

@Dandene - speaking of upgrading, I haven't had time to research.  Is there a way to bake G3 base/G8 textures to G 8.1?

Because I'm sure you're aware the UVs are different.  I'd actually like to bake G3 to G8.1 or G9.

Gensis 8.1 has both the new 8.1 mapping and the Genesis 8 mapping.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,916

Richard Haseltine said:

Gator said:

Dandene said:

And, by extension, G3 mapping, and inherits the G3 UV products (M/F) if you've got those, so you can also use G3 core figure textures.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,294
    edited October 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Gator said:

Dandene said:

Good to know, but can you bake or convert G3 skins to the new G 8.1 mapping or G9?

What I'm getting at is to convert to the G3 textures to the newer 8.1 or 9 textures with the detail maps.  Ideally if all goes well with G9 it would be Genesis 9 as then I'd be converting favorite G3 characters to G9.

Post edited by Gator on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,557
    edited October 2022

Gator said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Gator said:

Dandene said:

Good to know, but can you bake or convert G3 skins to the new G 8.1 mapping or G9?

What I'm getting at is to convert to the G3 textures to the newer 8.1 or 9 textures with the detail maps.  Ideally if all goes well with G9 it would be Genesis 9 as then I'd be converting favorite G3 characters to G9.

You could use the new shader with the details map, but of course you would need a map.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

Would we agree, with the lack of PA 3DL support and the need for higher subD for G9 renders, along with so many very hi-rez clothing textures, Daz's direction has become more focussed on realism?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611

Gator said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Gator said:

Dandene said:

Yes, you can use the map transfer tool to convert the base G3/G8 textures to the 8.1 format. I'm in the process of doing that right now for a custom skin I've been working on that uses Bridget 8 as a base. Alternatively, as already mentioned, you can just use them in their current format on an 8.1 character, provided you set the UV dropdown to base.  

• fred9803 said:

Would we agree, with the lack of PA 3DL support and the need for higher subD for G9 renders, along with so many very hi-rez clothing textures, Daz's direction has become more focussed on realism?

Higher than what? PA render engine choice is pretty much down to the PA, and no doubt owes a lot - beyond simple taste - to what the expected return, in terms of increased sales, would be.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

With all the discussion, I still haven't seen an answer to the following question.  "Allen Art" pointed to a promising way to convert G8 to G9 and used "Christian 8" as an example. Also said words to effect, "of course it won't work for HD morphs -- never has"

Could a PA (in theory) make a converion product for *all* G8 characters-- even if head and body morphs are HD?

That will probably be deciding factor for one of my "starring" characters that-- unfortunately-- is "HD"

If my question is ultra-FAQ, thanks for your patience.  A busy time of year.  : )

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Tynkere said:

Also said words to effect, "of course it won't work for HD morphs -- never has"
    Could a PA (in theory) make a converion product for *all* G8 characters-- even if head and body morphs are HD?

Nope, can't be done as once the HD morph is packaged for distribution, even the PA that created it, cannot decrypt the file any more.

• Tynkere said:

With all the discussion, I still haven't seen an answer to the following question.  "Allen Art" pointed to a promising way to convert G8 to G9 and used "Christian 8" as an example. Also said words to effect, "of course it won't work for HD morphs -- never has"

That will probably be deciding factor for one of my "starring" characters that-- unfortunately-- is "HD"

If my question is ultra-FAQ, thanks for your patience.  A busy time of year.  : )

I don't think that would be possible as it would require a way to create a new HD morph - the fact that its details came from an existing morph would not chnage that.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Richard Haseltine said:

I don't think that would be possible as it would require a way to create a new HD morph - the fact that its details came from an existing morph would not chnage that.

Thank you.  That's a bit of bad news or just bad luck I happened to customize an HD character.

Still sitting on a bench at the station, but best wishes to those who are "aboard the train" so to speak.

Kind regards & happy halloween! 

• We've seen now a few promos of PA G9 figures, and I have the idea that these promos kind of confirm one of my points about the G9 generation. The skin of V9 looks absolutly fantastic, but with PA G9 figures the skin does not seem to stand out as better than what we got with some of my G8/G8.1 characters. I'd still pick Babina/CJ/Bridget/Jacqueline8.1/Victoria8.1/etc or any Bluejaunte/ISourceTextures G8/G8.1 skin over what I've seen thus far in the promos. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I'm wondering if I am, can anyone shed a light on this?