Getting on the 9 train, or not

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,950
    edited November 2022

Well, I knew it would be happening eventually, but the more gradual transitions we've had between the last three figure bases had given hope that we wouldn't be seeing the G3/G8 lines shuffled off stage and buried quite so quickly. 

However, based on what I've been seen, all signs point to the new DAZ bundles becoming increasingly G9-centric even faster than I expected, with smaller and smaller percentages of the items in the bundles being listed as G8 compatible.  Which sucks, as I can currently summon little interest in buying into the still problematic G9, especially given that its (their?) extremely limited native asset base seems to be tripping down the fetishwear and filler route once again.  And yes, assuming that some PA doesn't do it first, I'll eventually build autofit clones so I can use whatever G9-only items I end up with as freebies (and for those who can't wait, there's a good How To tutorial by PetuniaPetals up over in Renderostiy's Free section) but I'm just not impressed with what I've seen so far and I'm sure as h e double hockeysticks not going to buy into bundles filled with products that I don't have an immediate use for.  Especially when the full price/discount ratio that DAZ is now giving on bundles has become a fraction of what it once was and is also almost inevitibly tied to purchases of other products that I'm likely to have little use for.  It just negates the financial benefits that were supposed to provide the allure of the bundle concept to begin with.  As it is, DAZ marketing seems to be trying their very best to kill my interest in DAZ products and, sadly, they're starting to succeed.                   

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • hejjj12hejjj12 Posts: 49
    edited November 2022

Yeah I have no intrest in a figure where most of the stuff I own don't work. Only G9 things I can think of getting are like monsters, or hairs and clothing that has been proven to work with G8 with autofit. Otherwise there is no point. It's not like G9 makes such a diffrence in render or work for most people. The only really cool thing is that you can use things for both genders more easily. 

But yeah they need to make a really good and simple converter if they want more causal user (like, me who still buys a lot) to jump over to G9. Still if they make a converter that can convert hair and clothing as easy as autofit, but even more exactly  Then I would be mildy intrested (though would probobly prefer to have that to convert G9 to G8), but to really make me accept it, it would need to do the saem with poses, props, morphs, geoshell items and preferably skin and characters. However I doubt that it will happen. 

Still getting more G8 stuff more cheaply seems good and there is pleanty of stuff to G8. To make a new genesis it really needs to be on a whole new leauge to be intresting. Like way more control of body parts movment, soft body features, remove uv streatching when some parts get bigger, inside anatomy so you can remove like a arm during a action scene with ease and have and inside to attach, easy way to attach scars, wounds, tattos and more. Just a way to speed up how you use it. Like more accurate pose control (mix parts of poses), built in dforce simulation on everything that comes with the figure, but also make dforce more accurate, easier quick control for the characters movment (Not just the ball and bars on the viewport, more like streach the entire arm forward) and more features like that to make it go faster to work with it. Also make a promise to make items to the figure future compatible with later figures. 

With features like that I would be more open to new genesis figure... (And it all should work without a bunch of costly plugins). 

Edit: Had a look at the latest bundle, seems to work with G8 now (Or at least more parts of it, if I don't remeber wrong) :)

Post edited by hejjj12 on
  • Merged the bundle thead as it wasn't a Daz Studio topic and did overlap with this thread.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,192

In fairness to G9, there are quite a lot of g3/g8 bundles already out here. If past history is any indicator,.those will remain available for quite a long time. The store still has some V3-era bundles! For many people, there are plenty of appealing items for earlier generation figures that will be new for us when we finally buy them. surprise

• Now that I've had some time with V9, I'm going to be riding a shorter train this time around. I've got over 800 purchased and custom G8 figures in my library. Too many. This trip, I'm going to create a single G9 character, and make her the best she can be. I need a good skin, a Linday hair that works with the three OOT hairs out so far, bits from elsewhere, natural bend morphs, and hopefully Supermassive detail morphs for G9.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957

wurger said:

Now that I've had some time with V9, I'm going to be riding a shorter train this time around. I've got over 800 purchased and custom G8 figures in my library. Too many. This trip, I'm going to create a single G9 character, and make her the best she can be. I need a good skin, a Linday hair that works with the three OOT hairs out so far, bits from elsewhere, natural bend morphs, and hopefully Supermassive detail morphs for G9.

Lol, I have K.H. Image studio's store page's tab pinned, I've been checking them daily, as my full dive into G9 doesn't start without KMI's Ultimate series of morphs… I pretty much cleaned out their store at this point!  :)

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

The more I see about this new figure, the less I feel compelled to jump in, and it was already gonna be a hard sell.

While I'm glad to see the "one figure for both genders" return, as this will make stuff like toon and anime morphs less one-sided, I am not pleased by the fewer materials zones, and the bloated polycount. One of my favorite things about older Genesis figures, like G1, was how you had material zones for stuff like lips, nipples, etc. You could do the entire figure with just colors, and an eyebrow prop. This was fantastic for clean looking renders for NPR postwork and the like. I'll have to see how G9 fleshes out over the news couple of years. So glad I didn't bite on G8.1 That was basically the WiiU of Genesis figures.

• wurger said:

Now that I've had some time with V9, I'm going to be riding a shorter train this time around. I've got over 800 purchased and custom G8 figures in my library. Too many. This trip, I'm going to create a single G9 character, and make her the best she can be. I need a good skin, a Linday hair that works with the three OOT hairs out so far, bits from elsewhere, natural bend morphs, and hopefully Supermassive detail morphs for G9.

Now that is a good plan. Worked for me too .

• I like toons and styled stuff.  Gen9 isn't aimed at me. 8k textures, but their not, but they are.  the LIE system learning, no shaders now for lips .  it's just too much to learn and dig through forum posts to figure out what is where and how it will or wont. is Gen 9 metamixer supported or going to be compatible?  HD is baked into the figure now sooo your only exporting base now to blender, how does that affect exporting mixed and matched non HD morphs but using HD morphs, I really don't understand.

I'm confused, tired, poor and tech fatued really.  $4,000 for a new computer with a RTX 3080ti 12gig and I still dump to CPU rendering in Daz studio (it's optimization and redner settings, I know - but again, more tweaking than making art).

just exhusted.

The HD is still a separate slider; what DAZ did was force people that have zero interest in the character-specific HD to install it anyway.
  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 188

While the realism may be impressive, I just can't get past the bloated scene file size and time required to save a scene.  A single figure with some basic clothing and props is over 500MB.  Looking back at older scene files, most are much less than 50MB.  Some are a lot less than that.  So G9 seems not ready for prime time IMO.  Keep working on it guys.

• krickerdkrickerd Posts: 188

Ok, help me understand.  When a clothing item is converted from an older figure, is that one of the reasons for the enormous file size bloating?  Seems like it.  The base G9 figure size when saved as a .duf, file is tiny: 62 KB.  When G3 clothing is added and autofit, it bloats to 500MB. 

• wurger said:

The Linday Classic Long Hair with dForce works on Genesis 9 without issues as it doesn't have a scullcap. Same for the wavy version.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

krickerd said:

Ok, help me understand.  When a clothing item is converted from an older figure, is that one of the reasons for the enormous file size bloating?  Seems like it.  The base G9 figure size when saved as a .duf, file is tiny: 62 KB.  When G3 clothing is added and autofit, it bloats to 500MB. 

Yes, changes made to an item/character/environment, are saved in the scene savefile.

When things are used as they are loaded, the savefile has only links to the original files.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,916

PerttiA said:

krickerd said:

Yes, changes made to an item/character/environment, are saved in the scene savefile.

When things are used as they are loaded, the savefile has only links to the original files.

Is that true of changing the Scene ID as well, or just autofitting?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Gordig said:

PerttiA said:

krickerd said:

Is that true of changing the Scene ID as well, or just autofitting?

Haven't checked, changing the ID, is pretty small change compared to autofitting that replaces the bonestructure (at least on items with custom bones).

If nobody has come up with the answer, I'll try to remember to test it when I get back home

• sueyasueya Posts: 830

I have a lot of G8 content I haven't fully utilised so I'm not jumping on the G9 train at the moment.

Waiting for a script/tool that allows me to use G8 skins with G9. Also pose converter would be useful.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,916

sueya said:

Also pose converter would be useful.

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-and-8-to-9-pose-converter

• MadaMada Posts: 1,896

When you autofit you basically unlink from the previous outfit and all pieces need to be saved out again to create the data folder.

Save as a prop/asset with a complete new product name so you get a new data folder and not just the old one overwritten. Delete the outfit and reload the saved pieces. Now when you save the scene file it won't embed the geo and morphs.

• edited November 2022

krickerd said:

Just so we're clear, the displayed files size is ~500,000KB in windows explorer?

If that's the case, you've got something seriously messed up there, or are doing far more than you're saying.

just doing some quickie testing....

A base g3f, in my base scene(default render settings, but with a camera at the 'front' view) with the alphakini, takes 51KB to save. The alphakini is adding 14KB to the save size.

Genesis 8f, same scene, with the Alphakini, 354KB, a difference of 237KB over the base save of 117KB.

Genesis 9, same scene, with the alphakini, 351KB, a difference of 254KB over the base save of 97KB.

Testing other items, and i'm getting a fairly consistent result of ~16-18 times increase in files size over the original base and clothing save size.

This was tested in 4.16.0.3 and 4.21.0.5 beta.

Edit note: transposed the version number for 4.21 to 4.12 in initial post.

Post edited by DrunkMonkeyProductions on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
    edited November 2022

Gordig said:

sueya said:

Also pose converter would be useful.

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-and-8-to-9-pose-converter

While very cool, we all got spoiled with Bone Minion. Pose converters are great, there are just some caveats with them though.

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
    edited November 2022

I wish Daz3D and the PAs understood that not everyone wants everything hyper-realistic. Each new figure base has less and less anime/cartoon/stylzed stuff. I mean look at Aiko 8. She doesn't resemble her forebearers in the least. I can only assume Aiko 9 is just gonna look like a photorealistic Japanese woman, who happens to be named Aiko.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

vrba79 said:

I wish Daz3D and the PAs understood that not everyone wants everything hyper-realistic. It causes problems. I mean look at that "Cartoonizer" morph for Genesis 8. All of the characters it makes has wierd eye bags, because it's taking a hyper-real model and trying to stylize it.

Sort of reminds me of the saying "Jack of all trades and a master of none". This is how I see it here with trying to have one base figure do many things, it does not always work out the way it should. The only way to have a toon style character look right, is if the figure is either heavily modified (3D Universe does a great job with their products) or a character created specifically for the purpose.

Genesis 1 showed that there was great potential for an all in one figure. In my opinion, none of the sequels lived up to the original.

• Genesis 9 seems like a cash grab right now.  It needs way more time to be filled out with morphs/items.  We don't even get basic expressions with this gen and the poses included are not very good or adaptable for a lot of scenarios.  Auto fit doesn't work nearly as well with older gen stuff, and hair is a nightmare. The sudden skew towards androgeny between victoria models has made gigantic leaps down the line from 8 to 8.1 to 9 where she has gone from a statuesque fashion model to pretty girl who works at Starbucks seemingly overnight!  Less surface areas to tweak individually, some crazy bending JCM's (or whatever they're called) and just an overall underwhelming release combined with having to pay for stuff they normally just include to get started, have not really made a good impression on me for G9.

There are things that I like about it though. I do like the strength dials for certain things like facial expressions, and better proportion controls, at least!  I have fun making characters look like they're laughing uncontrollably, or so mad they might break something!

Just not feeling it right now.  I'll see what PA's can do with this gen, but I'm going to wait for quite a bit before I totally sign on.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,873

Considering the G8 train is slowing to a stop.....new things are going G9

• as far as new tech goes, this is about all you get for switching base geometry:
    slightly more anamorphic
    better FACS details (which they couldve added to g8)
    better armpits
    is it worth throwing away years of g8 content for this? nahh.  as it is, g9 content is better used to supplement your g8.

and you can't just sit and wait for a converter, since HD morphs can't be transferred. 

• RawArt said:

Which is funny, because you wouldn't guess that by looking at today's new offerings. 9 items total, 1 for G9, 7 for G8/8.1, and one that's a prop.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,873

MeneerWolfman said:

RawArt said:

Which is funny, because you wouldn't guess that by looking at today's new offerings. 9 items total, 1 for G9, 7 for G8/8.1, and one that's a prop.

You have to take into consideration how long it takes to make products and how recent G9 was released....PA's are still finishing off their older G8 stuff

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314
    RawArt said:

MeneerWolfman said:

RawArt said:

You have to take into consideration how long it takes to make products and how recent G9 was released....PA's are still finishing off their older G8 stuff

I think people underestimate the amount of time and work that goes into the products being sold, likely because there is new stuff so often to purchase.
  • I've built so much content and money around G3 and G8 figures that I can't even imagine starting with yet another figure. The very same thing happened to me with V4 I think I bought everything thing made for V4 and passed on Genesis and Daz Studio altogether ( I was one of those that said they have to pull poser out of my cold dead hands). 

But when DS came out with Iray rendering I switched DS and jumped onto the G3 figure and eventually G8 and never looked back. I've always jumped on new figures from Daz as well as the new versions of Daz Studio. For the very first time since using Daz Studio I have yet to update to the latest version of DS (I'm still on version 4.12) It's been for various reasons one being the ability to run it on my present PC and the fact I didn't keep 4.12 in case I didn't like 4.21. I do have 4.11 to fall back on.

lastly, with this economy extra money I normally save for my Daz budget has shrunk. As much as I love this hobby I like having lights, heat and food better along with new medical bills because of a condition I've been diagnosed recently. So it looks like I may just have to be content with what I have, which I am, for now. Maybe in time I may try G9.