Getting on the 9 train, or not

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,151

Ellessarr said:

is very common "even experienced peoples or "professionals make "mistakes" you don't need to be a new to make mistakes cheeky 

We all basically stumble thru Daz Studio since there's no manual and new versions come out and nothing is said about new features or how they work. LOL.  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,777

Nyghtfall said:

daveso said:

The new stuff for 9 beginning. You getting on the 9 train or sticking with older stuff? 

Neither.  G9 has given me the excuse I didn't know I needed to get out of 3D art altogether.  Now I can focus entirely on my writing.

...take care and hope to find your works at the local bookstore.

I thought felt same after a drive crash pretty much wiped out something like 9 years of work. I'm still in the process of rebuilding over two years later (while also fighting a lapse in the muse which was fallout of the crash as well as other RL stuff).  Were it not for the fact I had worked traditional art media since I first could hold a pencil (which severe arthritis got in the way of) I would have likely made the same decision.  This is my only creative pursuit I have left since music (classical keyboards) also had to be set aside and I'm not very good with words.

One good thing, you'll have more money as well as time for other interests and pursuits.

• TobiasTobias Posts: 108
    edited October 2022

Mada said:

+1.

I can't wait for M9 to be released, I think he's my favourite of all Daz characters ever.

I am looking forward to Michael, but with some trepidation.

I am not so much worried about the male characters but about content for them.

Much of the current male hair, for instance, actually looks like it has a female hairline. I am afraid that this will become the standard. It will be easier to make since the focus will be getting it to look good on a female first since that will be a selling point.

I am afraid that a similar strategy will be employed for clothing - make it look good on the female body first and then just slide the masculine slider on.

That is exactly what was done for the poses included in the Genesis 9 Essentials.

Time will tell, and I may sound pessimistic.  But pessimism lessens the disappointment if I am right.

Post edited by Tobias on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,777
    edited October 2022

AllenArt said:

Ellessarr said:

is very common "even experienced peoples or "professionals make "mistakes" you don't need to be a new to make mistakes cheeky 

We all basically stumble thru Daz Studio since there's no manual and new versions come out and nothing is said about new features or how they work. LOL.  

..agreed, and what does come out is no longer in print or PDF format but on video, which I often have  a difficult time with as my retention with video is pretty poor while as many just don't use decent production values, others skip critical steps you are "assumed" to know, and some even ramble off on a tangent.  Consequently I usually resort to the old trial and error method which is a poor and overly time consuming way to learn something.

The existing manual for Daz is over a decade old.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,715
    edited October 2022

Woot!!! I was able to "hack" the V9 makeup set. I simply can't use the presets. Using LIE to put the makeup on the head surface (base color) works. I also needed to edit the eye shadow texture to fit what I wanted, and adjust opacity to make if a lot more subtle. But it all works.

After messing around with G9/V9 for a while now, I'm generally impressed. in fact, I'm impressed enough to say that I'll happily get off the siding and on the train as clothing, morphs, or characters come out that I really like. There are differences that at least for now will require more "under the hood" work with LIE and an image editor (for example, lip color and shine) than it did with G8, but I think in the long run the way some things are handled now will improve render quality (no more sharp lines around the lips and Irises - unless the texture creator intentionally made it that way).

Previous generation cloths seem to fit quite well (except for heels, which is nothing new), and there aren't any huge issues using G9 with my RTX 2070 (8GB). The expressions are a big upgrade for me, but for anyone not wanting to jump on the G9 train, G8/8.1 has very good expressions. There are a few bends that I don't like and not quite what I was hoping for, but I'm OK with it for now, and someone will no doubt provide a "fix" for them.

So IMHO, well done DAZ yes I wish there were more details in "certain areas" of the mesh, but it's not a deal killer so far. There will be geografts to fix the missing details, so if I feel the need to improve on them, I'm sure I will be able to. The fact we are getting better expressions without HD morphs is awesome, as is the fact that we can easily control their details with the "FACS Detail Strength" slider.

Looking forward to jumping off an on the train in the future. Oh .... It would also probably be a good thing to make a concerted effort to inform the users about new features, and how to use them???

Here is my first render with V9 from my first rider on the train. I don't do many portrait renders, so it's definitely not awesome. Just thought I'd share it as an example of what can be done by hacking the V9 makeup set, and using G8 clothing.

V9 Portrait2.jpg
    2600 x 2400 - 1M
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,875
    edited October 2022

Ellessarr said:

Its OK, we forgive you - everyone makes mistakes

cheeky

Post edited by Mada on

DustRider said:

Woot!!! I was able to "hack" the V9 makeup set. I simply can't use the presets. Using LIE to put the makeup on the head surface (base color) works. I also needed to edit the eye shadow texture to fit what I wanted, and adjust opacity to make if a lot more subtle. But it all works.

After messing around with G9/V9 for a while now, I'm generally impressed. in fact, I'm impressed enough to say that I'll happily get off the siding and on the train as clothing, morphs, or characters come out that I really like. There are differences that at least for now will require more "under the hood" work with LIE and an image editor (for example, lip color and shine) than it did with G8, but I think in the long run the way some things are handled now will improve render quality (no more sharp lines around the lips and Irises - unless the texture creator intentionally made it that way).

Previous generation cloths seem to fit quite well (except for heels, which is nothing new), and there aren't any huge issues using G9 with my RTX 2070 (8GB). The expressions are a big upgrade for me, but for anyone not wanting to jump on the G9 train, G8/8.1 has very good expressions. There are a few bends that I don't like and not quite what I was hoping for, but I'm OK with it for now, and someone will no doubt provide a "fix" for them.

So IMHO, well done DAZ yes I wish there were more details in "certain areas" of the mesh, but it's not a deal killer so far. There will be geografts to fix the missing details, so if I feel the need to improve on them, I'm sure I will be able to. The fact we are getting better expressions without HD morphs is awesome, as is the fact that we can easily control their details with the "FACS Detail Strength" slider.

Looking forward to jumping off an on the train in the future. Oh .... It would also probably be a good thing to make a concerted effort to inform the users about new features, and how to use them???

Here is my first render with V9 from my first rider on the train. I don't do many portrait renders, so it's definitely not awesome. Just thought I'd share it as an example of what can be done by hacking the V9 makeup set, and using G8 clothing.

\

Very nice :)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

I see a lot of people posting about noodle joints and I'm wondering have they dialed in the base joint correctives found under Misc in the parameters tab?

I was thinking similiar until I found this dial. They don't automatically dial in for some reason...

edited October 2022

Pendraia said:

I see a lot of people posting about noodle joints and I'm wondering have they dialed in the base joint correctives found under Misc in the parameters tab?

I was thinking similiar until I found this dial. They don't automatically dial in for some reason...

I was wondering too, cause I have yet to get any "noodling" LOL. 

Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited October 2022

If you use Zero Figure it will reset the correctives to zero. Use Restore Figure instead, and I use Zero Pose or Zero Morphs as well.
    They should be dialed up when you load the figure? if they're not there is some kind of issue going on.

Post edited by Mada on
  • kyoto kid said:

Nyghtfall said:

daveso said:

The new stuff for 9 beginning. You getting on the 9 train or sticking with older stuff? 

Neither.  G9 has given me the excuse I didn't know I needed to get out of 3D art altogether.  Now I can focus entirely on my writing.

Thanks!  Fingers crossed!  :)

I thought felt same after a drive crash pretty much wiped out something like 9 years of work. I'm still in the process of rebuilding over two years later (while also fighting a lapse in the muse which was fallout of the crash as well as other RL stuff).  Were it not for the fact I had worked traditional art media since I first could hold a pencil (which severe arthritis got in the way of) I would have likely made the same decision.  This is my only creative pursuit I have left since music (classical keyboards) also had to be set aside and I'm not very good with words.

Those must've some tough breaks.  Sorry you went through so much.

One good thing, you'll have more money as well as time for other interests and pursuits.

Indeed!  Time and money are two things I'm especially looking forward to having more of.  God knows how much time I spent setting up renders I never kept.  LOL

• Mada said:

I can't wait for M9 to be released, I think he's my favourite of all Daz characters ever.

Yay!  Looking forward to him. 

• Yeah, there are a few "on" things that using Zero Figure will turn off, that should be on. It's because "Zero", really means 0, and doesn't mean "default". Some values on the figure need to default to 1, and not 0. You should always use Restore Figure, which means 'return to the default load state'.

The only reason this didn't happen on G8 was because those similar parameters were a on/off type that was immune to Zero Figure. Many of them were changed to a percentage slider on G9 so users would have more control over the strength of things, rather than simply on/off.

edited October 2022

One really cool awesome benefit of having the corrective dial as a slider is you can dial the strength up and down. For a tall character you want all the bends at full strength, but for a shorter custom made character being able to dial down the intensity of the correction is very useful :)

Post edited by Mada on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,715
    edited October 2022

Mada said:

DustRider said:

\

Very nice :)

Thanks!

I also wanted to thank you and MallenLane for poping in and providing additional info and tips on G9. Super valuable infomation.

Post edited by DustRider on

Mada said:

If you use Zero Figure it will reset the correctives to zero. Use Restore Figure instead, and I use Zero Pose or Zero Morphs as well.
    They should be dialed up when you load the figure? if they're not there is some kind of issue going on.

I use zero correctives a lot so that's probably part of it but I have it at zero when I first load in the genesis 9 base and it stays at zero when I pose unless I add it. I also use zero pose a lot. 

I thought it odd but know to dial it in. I thought they must have a reason...

MallenLane said:

Yeah, there are a few "on" things that using Zero Figure will turn off, that should be on. It's because "Zero", really means 0, and doesn't mean "default". Some values on the figure need to default to 1, and not 0. You should always use Restore Figure, which means 'return to the default load state'.

The only reason this didn't happen on G8 was because those similar parameters were a on/off type that was immune to Zero Figure. Many of them were changed to a percentage slider on G9 so users would have more control over the strength of things, rather than simply on/off.

Thanks that's a great explanation.

Did you memorize the figure maybe while they were off?

Mada said:

One really cool awesome benefit of having the corrective dial as a slider is you can dial the strength up and down. For a tall character you want all the bends at full strength, but for a shorter custom made character being able to dial down the intensity of the correction is very useful :)

Also nice to know.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do multiple quotes in one post? I always feel like I'm spamming when I do more than one reply.

Mada said:

Did you memorize the figure maybe while they were off?

I don't believe I have. I use the align rigging and erc freeze but I'm not even sure where to find memorise figure...I can try reinstalling and see if it's still the same?

It does sound like somewhere your settings got messed up - maybe with ERC Freeze? If you had it dialed off it would have come up as one of the dials to include in the freeze (in theory, I haven't tested).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,166
    edited October 2022

AllenArt said:

Ellessarr said:

New features get described in the chanage log, if they are not secret, and in the new release and highlights threads at least.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,981

So M9 I guess will have this gender flexibily that V9 had too. It's like buying 4 characters for the price of 2. I'm really liking G9 so far.

edited October 2022

Reinstalled and it now shows as base joint correctives at 100% on loading...I must have done something.

I wonder what? lol...Maybe the erc freeze...

Thanks for the help Mada!

Post edited by Pendraia on

Pendraia said:

Reinstalled and it now shows as base joint correctives at 100% on loading...I must have done something.

I wonder what? lol...Maybe the erc freeze...

Thanks for the help Mada!

Woot - glad you got that sorted :D and yea I'd speculate that something happened during an ERC freeze

Most likely. Now that I know it's supposed to be at 100% I'll be more aware. Easy to uninstall and reinstall with DIM. Just one of the hazards with playing and experimenting with things...

Thanks again...

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,610

kyoto kid said:

Nyghtfall said:

daveso said:

my muse fell off the train as well. its a long story.  

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,148
    edited October 2022
    Tobias said:

Mada said:

+1.

I am looking forward to Michael, but with some trepidation.

I am not so much worried about the male characters but about content for them.

Much of the current male hair, for instance, actually looks like it has a female hairline. I am afraid that this will become the standard. It will be easier to make since the focus will be getting it to look good on a female first since that will be a selling point.

I am afraid that a similar strategy will be employed for clothing - make it look good on the female body first and then just slide the masculine slider on.

That is exactly what was done for the poses included in the Genesis 9 Essentials.

Time will tell, and I may sound pessimistic.  But pessimism lessens the disappointment if I am right.

Agreed on the hairline thing. And for clothing, I will definitely stay away from products of a few PAs based on past experience.
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,148
    Mada said:

Ellessarr said:

Its OK, we forgive you - everyone makes mistakes

cheeky

Nah you don't have to cuz I don't think it's needed lol !
    edited October 2022

Totally agree on the hairline. There are a few hair PA's that make really nice male hair lines: a few that come to mind are Sarah Payne, Neftis (but that can be hit and miss), Latisis Imagery, Redz.

Post edited by AllenArt on