Carrara Challenge #16 - Myth and Legend - WIP Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Here's what I think will be my final entry.

The first image is without postwork (for comparison), and the second image is the final composite.

The_Gates_of_Ra.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Chariot_final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Was there a thread advertising this challenge in the Commons?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53581/

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53581/

Thanks! I feel like "bumping" into things. ;-)

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    continuing on....

hammer time :-)
    no postwork --- yet ;-)

Hey Stezza, once Thor's done cutting C8.5 down to size, how bout a selfie with Sango? Apparently I'm not the only one who has wondered about them both going toe to toe, but for now, they could just hold hands and take a selfie for this thread! I did a multi pass render, so I can send other parts of it if you'll want that.

Doc1.png
    1280 x 720 - 264K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

thanks Roy, Pam and Evil :)

There are really some magnificent entries this time around, wonderful to see the quality outstripping the quantity ;)!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

A little bit more progress from me, and my first test render
    I added a sphere primitive for the sun, and textured it with the Sun shader from the default Solar System scene. Then made a vertex cylinder and scaled it to go around the sun. I created a surface replicator and set it to replicate my world turtle (I needed to reverse the normals on the cylinder to get the turtles facing the right way). Finally I made the cylinder invisible.

For my hero turtle, I saved out the main turtle to My Objects and reloaded it. This gives me a new master that I can position and rotate with out affecting all the replicants. For lighting I positioned a bulb by each turtle. The backdrop is a Hubble telescope image off the web.

RenderTest2.jpg
    1360 x 800 - 553K
    Screen_Shot_2015-03-29_at_21.43_.47_.png
    1736 x 949 - 368K
    Screen_Shot_2015-03-29_at_18.02_.19_.png
    1702 x 912 - 230K
    Screen_Shot_2015-03-29_at_17.49_.47_.png
    1771 x 919 - 266K
    edited December 1969

And some tweaks to the lights:

RenderTest3.jpg
    1360 x 800 - 626K
    edited December 1969

That looks great. Really a neat concept.

If you have the time, I would maybe suggest a very dim (20% or less) blue/gray fill light for the turtles. It is justified by the blue back ground. A quick and effective way is to drag a shape light and drop it on the camera, then set the range enough to light the foreground turtle, but not the sun. I would suggest changing the shape to a rectangle and also set the falloff method to Distance Squared. I usually set my falloff at around twenty percent- but it depend on the scene.

If you feel you need all the turtles to have a fill, then instead, drop a distance light onto the camera and set the intensity and color to around the same as I mentioned above, then exclude the sun from the light.

Anyway, it's just the suggestion. I know time is gettin' short.

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

For my image I've modeled some basic items. I modeled the straps and stirrups. Some rope loops and the long grass that i predicated on the foreground terrain.

stirupsWIP.png
    441 x 529 - 40K
    rope1WIP.png
    640 x 399 - 29K
    ropeWIP.png
    707 x 537 - 168K
    grassWIP.png
    1062 x 550 - 184K
    edited December 1969

Here's what I think will be my final entry.

The first image is without postwork (for comparison), and the second image is the final composite.

Looking really cool evil!

edited December 1969

I am in awe of the recent additions to the entry thread. Dadauniverse, I'd love to see a battle of the thundergods but I think it is tempting fate, given Stezza's problems with the file saves.

I probably tried to make too many changes at too late a time during the month. But here is a WIP illustrating the set, which is supposed to be an ancient Greek royal reception hall - sort of (with a lot of liberties in the spirit of myth). I made the wall coverings by applying softbody physics to a grid and attaching to a cylinder which I waved once and then let it settle.

helen_wip_too_many_changes.jpg
    1140 x 651 - 129K
    edited December 1969

My raw render and secondly the final image. I couldn't get the main right so I painted it on in PS. The final image was made using cracks and photo damage pieces from old photos I pulled off Google images.

billy.jpg
    1500 x 803 - 1022K
    billy-raw.jpg
    1500 x 803 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Po- po- postwork?!? ;-)

Really cool! You've done a spot on job of getting the old photo look! I had t look twice.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,010
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    continuing on....

hammer time :-)
    no postwork --- yet ;-)

Hey Stezza, once Thor's done cutting C8.5 down to size, how bout a selfie with Sango? Apparently I'm not the only one who has wondered about them both going toe to toe, but for now, they could just hold hands and take a selfie for this thread! I did a multi pass render, so I can send other parts of it if you'll want that.

LOL

selfie time :-)

that would make a cool challenge.. someone post an image to do with what you please and see how it ends up lol

may need a selfie stick!

selfie_time.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    edited December 1969

This is going to be my final image - without and with postwork - basically adding a glow effect to the sun and the turtle's eyes.

BirthOfWorlds.jpg
    1836 x 1080 - 1M
    BirthOfWorlds-Raw.jpg
    1836 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Intriguing image Tim. It's got a surreal effect.

edited December 1969

Lol, Splendid! Thanks Stezza. Can I share it outside the forum? Got some friends who would be tickled by this. Would you like to sign it? It might travel!

edited December 1969

Yeah, Hindu myth with a huge dose of Pratchett! ;)

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Yeah, Hindu myth with a huge dose of Pratchett! ;)

Fitting tribute to Pratchett.

edited December 1969

My second project will not get finished in time. It is a big scene with lots of figures and props. For some reason, I can't save today, so I won't be able to integrate the crowd with the main set and main figures.

On trying to save,
    - First, Carrara says it needs to save two texture files externally and prompts me for names.
    - Second, Carrara reports an end file error and doesn't finish saving.

Not sure what the problem is. I've checked preferences and can't find where to make sure textures are saved internally. I've made sure there is disk space.

I am using 8.5 release, not one of the recent betas.

WIP_death_and_destruction_3.JPG
    1558 x 895 - 179K
    WIP_death_and_destruction_2.JPG
    416 x 111 - 12K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    My second project will not get finished in time. It is a big scene with lots of figures and props. For some reason, I can't save today, so I won't be able to integrate the crowd with the main set and main figures.

On trying to save,
    - First, Carrara says it needs to save two texture files externally and prompts me for names.

Not sure what the problem is. I've checked preferences and can't find where to make sure textures are saved internally. I've made sure there is disk space.

I'm not the best person to troubleshoot this, but possible options include reducing the texture size, disabling texture spooling under preferences or reducing to the minimum setting. Something else I thought of, if you have everything fairly where you want them, you could export as obj into a folder. Since all the textures would be extracted into that folder. You could then import into Carrara and see if it handles the textures better this way. Even if that works, there are disadvantages, as editing from then on could be tedious. Caveat: Not sure what if what I'm saying makes any sense! :) But it's looking like an interesting scene and I hope you're able to unlock it.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

I get that sometimes. Seems to be related to setting a texture file as "internal" within a shader. It's never actually saved a file and it's not caused me a problem subsequently (so far, touch wood)

Have you tried grouping the various elements and saving them to "My Objects" Then you could create a new project and add them. That might clear whatever is causing the error.

edited March 2015

diomede64 said:

On trying to save,

diomede, this sounds a lot like a hard drive space issue. Are you only working with the one volume or partition?

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    edited December 1969

Maybe choose Save As, and under options, choose Save Locally option.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Dada, great suggestion! Why didn't I think of exporting as objs? I now have done that with several different sub-scenes and brought them together. I lost most of the lighting, and will have to reload several elements, but there is still a chance to make the deadline, although with a significantly limited edition. As objs, I can't adjust many of the poses easily, for example. Less ambitious shaders and render settings, also.

Someone, please! Let there be light! :)

save_helen_question.jpg
    840 x 480 - 39K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,431
    edited December 1969

Nice work by everyone.

Update from me.
    Postwork ripples done refer screendump.
    Postwork splashes done refer screendump.

Ripples would have looked better modelled but I'm running out of time.

Final image attached (pre-postwork in previous post), Topaz filter used to bring out colours.

Atlantis2_Final_PostEffects_Topaz.png
    1950 x 1463 - 7M
    Atlantis_Splashes.png
    544 x 273 - 327K
    Atlantis_Ripples.png
    585 x 273 - 326K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 8,010
    edited December 1969

Some great work been done this month.. enjoyed going through all the detailed works everyone has posted..

@DADA_universe - do with the pic what you please.. ;-)

My Carrara 8.5beta woes have been inherited somewhat by my 8.5Pro release version with more & more errors popping up since I uninstalled the beta

may have to do a complete wipe soon and start again to try and fix the problems.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

There's just under 5 hours left to get your entries in! I'll be posting voting rules shortly, since I doubt I'll be awake at midnight to do so. :)

Entry Thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54014/

MDO2010 said:

Dates to remember:
    Challenge Thread opens for WIP submissions: 2 March 2015
    Entry Thread opens: 16 March 2015
    Entry Closes: 30 March 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)
    Voting Period: 31 March 2015 0:00:01 CMT (UTC-6) to 7 April 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)
    edited March 2015

Well, it just isn't going to get close to done tonight. I would enter it just to round out the field but I am actually starting to have standards. I know, hard to believe. :-P

This is as far as I have gotten. Too many things need major adjustments. However, I was inspired by the theme for this idea and will post an update to the WIP thread after the voting when I have put together a version that at least addresses some of the shader issues

I am also attaching a reference image just because I thought it was cool. ;-)

Edit - the reference image is of Salome's dance, not of the abduction of Helen, but I thought it captured the spirit of the moment.

salome_dance_1.jpg
    750 x 445 - 143K
    noooooooo_wip.jpg
    1540 x 832 - 141K
    Post edited by Diomede on