Carrara Challenge #16 - Myth and Legend - WIP Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

diomede64 wroteth

@Head Wax - The only thing I don’t like about the Poser cloth room is that I have to run overlapping cloth sequentially. If you actually plan to use Patricius, you could convert the posed figure to an obj then drape the robes over it in the Carrara soft-body. If you get the margin low enough, etc., it will calculate pretty quickly, but you have to model the robes in the posed position. (Or, you could create Stringtheory’s undersuit). Or, just stick to the Poser cloth room, but you did express an argh.

hi exactly what I have been doing, but with poser, ie export m4 dressed and posed as obj then taking it into poser and trying to get a larger outfit to drape realistically over the clothed m4 (that outfit also exported from carrara in the posed position) , I even converted the cloth to polys using the triangulation wobbegong catmull diferegeoeghehgegeegfh equation to get better drapes but still looked like crap.

I have recently been doing blender tuts (almost) to see what their cloth room is like , haven't got far,
    of course I would rather do it in carrara, but I felt poser's cloth room was more mature ....(most of the dials actually do something)

I'm interested in this because I want to paint (acrylic paintings) draped figures in the near future and would like to wotk carrara et al into that workflow rather than have some partially undraped model standing around for hours with a cloak draped over her bare shoulders ...

gets too cold for that kind of thing in oz ;)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I've been getting into Blender a teeny bit more than that and have found, by experience, watching tuts and reading the forums that cloth drapes better if you use quads and they must be square, not oblong. Seeing as Carrara also uses Bullett (perhaps not as updated as Blender, from what I can gather from Daz_Spooky) perhaps that is the way to go.

Here's M4 nicely draped in Blender :)

m4drape.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 200K
    edited March 2015

nice work Roy, I was hoping you'd pop in, saw your thread at Blender forum,

I was working from the Delaunay triangulation theory camp and found that Blender had it's own version, where as I have been trying to do it with another program meshlab which just seems to go awol with the Delaunay filter.
    http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?95851-The-Poor-Artist-s-Delaunay-solution-for-Poser-s-Cloth-Room

I'll pick your brains at a later stage if I may? My plumber just rang me and said the vanity I bought has the drawers on the wrong side, that the hot water turn off valve is seized meaning we have to turn out off the whole apartment block's water to replace the vanity but before that we have to take the old one out and then tile up the hole because the old one was built in blah bag money money time and he mightn't have the time to do it anyway and meanwhile we don't have a tenant renting the place and gah gahagaha :) and I thought poser cloth room was a pita....

Post edited by Headwax on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

I'll pick your brains at a later stage if I may? My plumber just rang me and said the vanity I bought has the drawers on the wrong side, that the hot water turn off valve is seized meaning we have to turn out off the whole apartment block's water to replace the vanity but before that we have to take the old one out and then tile up the hole because the old one was built in blah bag money money time and he mightn't have the time to do it anyway and meanwhile we don't have a tenant renting the place and gah gahagaha :) and I thought poser cloth room was a pita....

Oh yeah?!? Just try having your parents live with you! ;-P

edited December 1969

head wax said:

ha ha , my mother in law has been with me for 6 years..... it made me realise that windows are placed in walls so we can jump out of them when the time comes...

edited December 1969

And just to prove that I have at least been thinking about this challenge:

Here's a staff I'm making. I'm thinking of going with my interpretation of the Egyptian Sun god, Ra.

I used Holly's awesome photo-real sun tutorial from the Carrara Cafe, and combined it with a spherical fire primitive (still need to tweak it) and a bulb light. I still need to find a sweet spot for a lens flare and light sphere to sell the heat, but not wash out the sun.

Picture_1.png
    976 x 958 - 138K
    staff_test.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 167K
    edited December 1969

nice stick evil :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    head wax said:

ha ha , my mother in law has been with me for 6 years..... it made me realise that windows are placed in walls so we can jump out of them when the time comes...

...or push? ;-)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I feel for you on the plumbing - recently had a very expensive experience myself.

Don't know what those guys are rabbitting on about Delauney - take it from another great Oz CG artist, Andrew Price; square quads are the way to go with Bullett!

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I feel for you on the plumbing - recently had a very expensive experience myself.

Don't know what those guys are rabbitting on about Delauney - take it from another great Oz CG artist, Andrew Price; square quads are the way to go with Bullett!

good, square is easier :)

edited December 1969

evil wroteth

...or push? wink

yes she has had several goes but I am too quick and step away from the window before she lunges at me ;)

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Have you guys been saving before choosing to quit Carrara?

Yes, I know of that problem... it wasn't that ..

Here is the final test render I did the other day, I wasn't happy with the positions of the characters and wanted to do some tweeking of poses ect...

The file size was a touch over 4gig so that may be the problem that Carrara has, as content these days are getting bloated Carrara may not be able to handle it as DAZ hasn't kept it up to date with the bloated content that is available now.

It also corresponds with the new Genesis starter essentials updates that were released a couple of days ago.

This
    already
    is
    awesome!

If that's any consolation for the work you've lost!

edited March 2015

bit more work

the background grass is hair,
    not sure how to make it less blunt ie more pointy on the ends ?

cheers

the b and w one is my model

Doc5.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 2M
    ih023709_77707_990x742.jpg
    742 x 936 - 148K
    edited December 1969

I think you've got great detail in the grass. I wouldn't change a thing.

Working on a bit of wardrobe for my scene.

Picture_2.png
    910 x 906 - 66K
    Picture_1.png
    721 x 408 - 101K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Really didn't want to miss participating in another challenge, so starting to try to pull something together in the 11th hour.

Going for a classic villain from myth, hopefully with a twist that won't make him seem quite so villainous.

Here's where I'm at, after some basic posing and texturing, still lots to do. Used Carrara hair (surprise, surprise lol) which is actually the same hair I created and put on sharecg as a freebie to be used on any figure (more hairsets coming in the near future I hope, though I've been delayed by this and that...). Did a lot of hair texturing work trying to find a good level of highlight and shininess, settling on some pretty crazy settings, shininess at 200% and highlights at less than 1%, nothing I would have ever expected before playing, but I'm liking these settings for dynamic hair in most lighting, so sticking with it for now.

I started with an M4, then didn't like the selection of fantasy clothing out there (I mean there's a lot of good fantasy clothing, but not exactly like I saw in my mind's eye). Switched to Genesis, but almost switched back to M4, because while the Nightguard outfit exactly fit the bill I was irked by the way Carrara (doesn't) handle adding poses to change clothing shaders (didn't like the default but really liked the texture add on 'Midnight Watchmen'). Ended up just going into the texture room and switching out textures shader by shader, tweaked the textures a little, but more needs doing, and obviously haven't even started to set up the scene yet.

Villain1.jpg
    400 x 600 - 18K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I've been getting into Blender a teeny bit more than that and have found, by experience, watching tuts and reading the forums that cloth drapes better if you use quads and they must be square, not oblong. Seeing as Carrara also uses Bullett (perhaps not as updated as Blender, from what I can gather from Daz_Spooky) perhaps that is the way to go.

Let's see....I've been saying that for how many years? But apparently the "triangles are much better for some unspecified reason" camp seems to have taken over long ago, so at this point it doesn't really matter. Maybe things will change if you can convince PhilW of it...then everyone will see the light :) :) :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Really didn't want to miss participating in another challenge, so starting to try to pull something together in the 11th hour.

Just a reminder that there is another full week before the submission deadline closes. Plenty of time for people who have been too busy up until now. It is more like the 9th hour. ;-)
    I like your villain's hair!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    bit more work

cheers

Excellent progress. I like the grass as is but have you maximized the difference between hair width for the root and tip in the hair shader?

edited December 1969

Roygee said:

Let's see....I've been saying that for how many years? But apparently the "triangles are much better for some unspecified reason" camp seems to have taken over long ago, so at this point it doesn't really matter. Maybe things will change if you can convince PhilW of it...then everyone will see the light :) :) :)

Try keeping your angst out of this thread. If you have an axe to grind with Phil, take it up elsewhere.

edited December 1969

Great job on the staff and collar, but what about your responsibility to spline modelers everywhere? Maybe make a river barge out of splines? Or an obelisk?

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Great job on the staff and collar, but what about your responsibility to spline modelers everywhere? Maybe make a river barge out of splines? Or an obelisk?

If I could model in the assembly room with splines to get the shape and scale, you bet I would! In the meantime, I do have some spline models in mind.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    head wax said:
    bit more work

cheers

Excellent progress. I like the grass as is but have you maximized the difference between hair width for the root and tip in the hair shader?

thanks diomede, no I dont know what you are talking about, I will have a look thanks :)

edited December 1969

thanks evil, nice collar :) you going to drape that ? or push the verticies ?

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

Going for a classic villain from myth, hopefully with a twist that won't make him seem quite so villainous.

Here's where I'm at, after some basic posing and texturing, still lots to do. Used Carrara hair (surprise, surprise lol) which is actually the same hair I created and put on sharecg as a freebie to be used on any figure (more hairsets coming in the near future I hope, though I've been delayed by this and that...). Did a lot of hair texturing work trying to find a good level of highlight and shininess, settling on some pretty crazy settings, shininess at 200% and highlights at less than 1%, nothing I would have ever expected before playing, but I'm liking these settings for dynamic hair in most lighting, so sticking with it for now.

I started with an M4, then didn't like the selection of fantasy clothing out there (I mean there's a lot of good fantasy clothing, but not exactly like I saw in my mind's eye). Switched to Genesis, but almost switched back to M4, because while the Nightguard outfit exactly fit the bill I was irked by the way Carrara (doesn't) handle adding poses to change clothing shaders (didn't like the default but really liked the texture add on 'Midnight Watchmen'). Ended up just going into the texture room and switching out textures shader by shader, tweaked the textures a little, but more needs doing, and obviously haven't even started to set up the scene yet.

obviously your alter ago :) good to see you putting work in Jon

edited December 1969

bit more work, using dart's wonderful undersea realms

Doc5withmountains.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 858K
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

thanks evil, nice collar :) you going to drape that ? or push the verticies ?

I was wondering the same thing, looks ideally position for a softbody drape to me, or at least that was my first thought, but maybe he's got something even more insidious in mind.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Wow, that looks great. That's one of the few products of Dart's I don't have, but I'm thinking I need to get it. I never thought of using it for above surface renders, and didn't think I would be likely to do too many underwater renders.

edited March 2015

Jonstark said:
    head wax said:

Wow, that looks great. That's one of the few products of Dart's I don't have, but I'm thinking I need to get it. I never thought of using it for above surface renders, and didn't think I would be likely to do too many underwater renders.

thanks Jon, everything of dart's is worth getting :)

a little more work , made his beard a wee bit longer and his hair a little wilder , still not happy with the snakes as they vanish into the scene

Doc5framedsmaller.jpg
    1442 x 2000 - 3M
    edited December 1969

I admit, I didn't notice the snakes, which kind of proves your point. Maybe make em darker in coloration? Maybe dark red and brown or something like that?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

The items I need don't look like they're going to be on sale any time soon (at least not soon enough to be useful), so I'm going with my 'B' plan. Stezza, sorry to read about your disaster - hopefully something can be salvaged.