Carrara Challenge #16 - Myth and Legend - WIP Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Some good stuff happening here.. looking forward to seeing all the end results

After losing my 4gig Thor file I reverted to M4 Thor to get rid of 8.5Beta

with postwork ;-)

Awesome!

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited March 2015

You guys with all your great concepts and renders have totally inspired me to enter. My legend is Billy the Kid. I am dedicating my entry (for obvious reasons) to JoeMamma ;-)

The render is concept draft render.

billy-old.png
    1200 x 642 - 1M
    Screen_Shot_2015-03-24_at_7.32_.49_PM_.png
    1074 x 643 - 383K
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Not much to show for me today. I've been trying various particle methods to get flame/smoke trails from the horse's hooves.

I think I have settled on using volumetric clouds in the emitter. Since the render times increase substantially when clouds intersect, I am going to render a particle/cloud pass for each foot. Depending on the visibility of the effect, I may only do the front hooves on the partially obscured horse.

I toyed around with particles with alphas for a smoky effect, but since I want it to look as if the smoke is interacting with the chariot and horses, I applied a shadow catcher shader to them, and when rendering particles with alphas, the particles and shadow catchers didn't play well together.

edited December 1969

You guys with all your great concepts and renders have totally inspired me to enter. My legend is Billy the Kid. I am dedicating my entry (for obvious reasons) to JoeMamma ;-)

Very nice work on the post production!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Stringtheory, that looks great! Not sure how you did that all in Carrrara, but I know there isn't any postwork involved, since all of us Carrara users hate postwork and react violently even to the thought of postwork, as well as... well anything, actually. Even the concept of open-mindness makes us even more frothingly close-minded and backward fanatics. I know this is true because I've heard it over and over (and over) from experts... ;)

Seriously, though, very well done indeed.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Nice work here Jon, I like the experimental nature of this image, and you just might be starting a new trend with the monthly challenge, a trend with lots of possibilities. It also strikes me that it might be possible to make 'moving paintings' with 3d art. I mean moving images people can buy and hang on their walls. So I took time off after typing the last sentence and found the following examples of how that is so possible right now!

Example 1.
    Example 2.
    Example 3.

Thanks Jon, you made me discover something today.

Thanks Dada, interesting links! I had no idea this was really a 'thing', but I guess I should have since it's the natural extension of those 'Moving Waterfall' electronically backlit pictures I remember seeing back in the mall years ago.

My image bothered me, cause the cloak was just swaying way too much, so I took down the scene forces to pulsate between .1 and 0, and did another cloth sim and re-rendered. I want the effect to be subtle enough so that at first blush it looks like a still render, but there's super-subtle movement. Closer this time, but I still think everything is moving too much and not subtle enough, also I put some wind into the tree in the far background. I'll probably end up redoing it one more time; originally I was going to do the animation in Octane and composite in the Carrara hair, but actually the Carrara native looks ok to me, so might stick with just the native. Never enough time... And I need to get hopping on the 'Fast' challenge if I'm going to get an animation done by week's end...

Also there's a slight color flicker in the dark space between the Sherrif's legs; this isn't in the Carrara avi I rendered, so it must be something to do with the avi to gif converter I'm using, strange...

VillainGif4.gif
    450 x 600 - 8M
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited March 2015

Jonstark said:

Stringtheory, that looks great! Not sure how you did that all in Carrrara, but I know there isn't any postwork involved, since all of us Carrara users hate postwork and react violently even to the thought of postwork, as well as... well anything, actually. Even the concept of open-mindness makes us even more frothingly close-minded and backward fanatics. I know this is true because I've heard it over and over (and over) from experts... ;)

Seriously, though, very well done indeed.

I can't believe you even brought up postwork. Any kind of 2D manipulation software was banished from my computer many moons ago!

What you are seeing is the result of a very bad hard drive crash. I just consider myself fortunate that I was able to retrieve what was left of the render! ;-)

Your WIP is super impressive! I really like the subtle movements. Very nice work!

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited March 2015

nice to see a few more in the fray :)

here's mine post and no post, havnt painted a beard before so I thought Id have a go, still need to have
    more practice :)

also learnt how to use Blenders cloth sim after screwing round with poser - highly recommend it-
    I exported T pose M4 as obj
    then exported posed M4 as object and used that as a morph target in Blender
    exported the wizard robe after fitting it in Carrara and then ran the Blender sim - the sim is mush faster than poser and more reliable (for me at least)

I went with the dragon snakes as a metaphor for Christianity (in the guise of St Patrick) throwing Pagan religions (and the 'devil's) out of Ireland.

wizardrobebeards.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 821K
    nobeardnopost.jpg
    1506 x 2000 - 781K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

head wax said:

here's mine post and no post, havnt painted a beard before so I thought Id have a go, still need to have

also learnt how to use Blenders cloth sim after screwing round with poser - highly recommend it-
    exported the wizard robe after fitting it in Carrara and then ran the Blender sim - the sim is mush faster than poser and more reliable (for me at least)

I went with the dragon snakes as a metaphor for Christianity (in the guise of St Patrick) throwing Pagan religions (and the 'devil's) out of Ireland.

Nice Andrew, even if I do get slightly miffed at the "devil snakes" Insulting to dragons, especially Y Draig Goch (the Red Dragon) of Wales, :vampire:

Plus of course we pagans are not devil worshippers. I am often called a heathen, but not a devil.

y_draig_goch.gif
    360 x 216 - 4K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,431
    edited December 1969

Lots of WIPs, looking great everyone.

Update from me, still got shader work to do, but I'm getting there.
    Will need to do the spashes post-work as my Carrara skills not good enough for that yet.
    Also need to add a volcano as part of the background.
    And need to fix up the Gorgon-Medusa wings.
    Hopefully I won't run out of time.

Atlantis2_c.png
    1950 x 1463 - 4M
    edited March 2015

Thanks Pam ! Sorry, no insult intended, I am Irish Scottish Welsh and Pagan. The only part of me that is Christian was arrested in London in about 1749 and put on the prison ships in the Themes ... The image is supposed to be tongue in cheek, that's why Saint Patrick looks like such a nice bloke . It's the old story man over comes chaos ... Or what he thinks is chaos !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited March 2015

Great work rolling in, everybody.

@Stringtheory, - so glad someone picked up on the legends of the American West. Have driven around New Mexico on various vacations and there is so much to appreciate.
    http://www.billythekidmuseumfortsumner.com/index.html
    Beautiful work.

@Headwax - I'm an American of pure Irish descent (still a few of us), so am completely ignorant of anything actually about Ireland or St. Patrick. Much prefer thinking of the whole place as a giant pub filled with folk singers until it gets too late, and then the remnants get into a bar fight. By the way...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0lUdQTDuk
    I've been dabbling with Blender lately myself, but haven't tried the cloth sim yet. Will have to give it a go.

@Bunyip - using postwork for the splashes is most welcome and encouraged if it works better for you. If you have time, please include a quick reference or two for how you decide to do it. Always looking to learn more.

@Jonstark - that moving river/cloak approach is looking tremendous! I much prefer the more subtle cloak move than the larger wave, but I'd encourage you to keep experimenting until you are satisfied yourself.

@EP - similar comment to others, if you decide to composite the effects of the particle emitter, I'd appreciate any chance you get to include a quick reference to how you do it. Always looking to learn more. Don't worry about your other duties, I'll pick up the spline modeler slack when I construct the background city.

@Mistywhiskey - agreed, that image of Krypto is a fantastic reference. Would not recommend use of the hair modeler for fur if you want to preserve the musculature of the chest. Did you know that rather than importing a morph obj or creating one by body part, you can edit the underlying mesh in Carrara? That could be a perfect method for morphing the millenium dog toward Krypto if you chose to go that route. Load the millennium dog, select the model level, and enter the vertex modeling room. BTW, the key that superman is holding would be very easy in the spline modeler (just teasing).

@Varsel - I am going to be saving that waterfall approach. Wonderful modeling job as always, and the water shader is amazing.

@Stezza- My only suggestion would be to add "Beta" somewhere, because a lot of these file reference and files lost problems seem to be occurring since the release of the Betas that were designed better integrate the cms. Glad you were able to join in this month despite the Carrara implosion.

@TimA and @Dada, the Pied Piper is getting a little lonely over in the entry thread so I hope you are still getting time to work on your entries because those are great starts.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2015

head wax said:
    Thanks Pam ! Sorry, no insult intended, I am Irish Scottish Welsh and Pagan. The only part of me that is Christian was arrested in London in about 1749 and put on the prison ships in the Themes ... The image is supposed to be tongue in cheek, that's why Saint Patrick looks like such a nice bloke . It's the old story man over comes chaos ... Or what he thinks is chaos !

yes I knew it was tongue in cheek, as was my comment. I collect dragon figurines, have 3 red Welsh dragons ( one pottery, one glass and one wooden) in my collection, I do have a 4th Welsh dragon, but he is carved out of welsh coal and therefore not red. :roll: The glass welsh dragon is right at the front of my display cabinet beating up on a clear (white?) english dragon. (although I do have some english in me, and was born in England, London to be precise).

BTW did you know that Patrick was probably welsh?

Post edited by Chohole on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here is the start of my second entry... If I manage to get it ready in time.

This is Huldra - the girl of the Hulder-people. Might also be known as the hidden people, cause they live in the mountain and under the ground.

She is often a beautiful girl, that can lure any man deep into the forest.
    But there is a way to recognise her. She has a tail like a cow.... :gulp:

lots to do yet........

huldra.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 493K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

@EP - similar comment to others, if you decide to composite the effects of the particle emitter, I'd appreciate any chance you get to include a quick reference to how you do it. Always looking to learn more. Don't worry about your other duties, I'll pick up the spline modeler slack when I construct the background city.

Ah, but I already have some simple spline objects in my scene!

As to the smoke pass, I will most definitely be describing in detail what I do. Bear in mind though, that my PS skillz are self taught, so there may be more efficient or better ways to do it.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Forget the snakes, St. Patrick isn't pasty enough for an Irishman. ;-P Being half Irish and half Swede, my Mom is practically an albino.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Forget the snakes, St. Patrick isn't pasty enough for an Irishman. ;-P Being half Irish and half Swede, my Mom is practically an albino.

Patrick wasn't an Irishman A little known fact is that the only one of the UK's patron saints that was actually born in the country he eventually became the saint of is St David.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    head wax said:

Patrick wasn't an Irishman A little known fact is that the only one of the UK's patron saints that was actually born in the country he eventually became the saint of is St David.

Not Irish you say? Then he probably didn't drink either. ;-)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    head wax said:

Not Irish you say? Then he probably didn't drink either. ;-)

How boring. :coolsmirk:

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 841
    edited December 1969

Great Renders Everyone!

Thanks also for all the explanations. It seems wrong to reply to all that work with just these few words but it's all great to see and follow.

BTW, I heard that the reason for the Serpent tempting Eve was that all the creatures were told to 'Go forth and multiply' - but he was only an Adder :-)

OK, I'll leave...

edited December 1969

Great Renders Everyone!

Thanks also for all the explanations. It seems wrong to reply to all that work with just these few words but it's all great to see and follow.

BTW, I heard that the reason for the Serpent tempting Eve was that all the creatures were told to 'Go forth and multiply' - but he was only an Adder :-)

OK, I'll leave...

Oh sure, be an Asp! ;-P

So, do you find Coral snakes singing in church? :-S

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 841
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I already left in a hissy fit.

:-)

edited December 1969

I'd tell y'all to quit derailing the thread, but I don't want to be a constrictor.

edited December 1969

well this fellow arrived on my deck today and peered through the window to watch my ironing my shirt, apparently they only hurt you if they bite ...... he climbed the tree to get to my first story deck , I haven't cleaned the outside of my window for a while :)

... Pam funnily enough I had red wings on the snakes but took them off, Evil, I adjusted his skin tone in photoshop and chose Tanned :)

Now I'm off to google Welsh archetypes, thanks for that feedback

photocrop.jpg
    1933 x 1767 - 3M
    edited December 1969

Nice snake Andrew! What kind is it?

I have a Trouser Snake, but I've never tried to take a picture of it. :coolsmirk:

Anyway, here's my latest attempt. I rendered a simplified scene with a particle emitter and hoof light, with light sphere and used Volume Primitive and Volume Effect render passes. One scene and passes for each foot. I also rendered a full scene without any hoof lights or emitters. This is the base scene that I added the effects passes to.

I'll have to describe what I did, either tomorrow or Friday, as I;m getting kind of tired.

In the meantime, here's the raw image with no postwork, and the image with the light effect and smoke layers added. I also have a screen cap of all the un-grouped layers I used.

Picture_2.png
    287 x 725 - 33K
    Chariot04.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 738K
    Chariot-raw.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 722K
    edited March 2015

Nice work Evil, so good it almost doesn't need Post work. Post work is so passé , don't you think ? :)
    Smoke looks good. Is it a cloud I guess, really adds 'atmosphere" . I stopped playing with clouds a while ago (because of the render time hit) and have been doing haze and smoke in post. Ron's brushes very good ... but I like your effect better

Oh, I'm sorry about your snake, we don't often take pictures of ours because we don't want to brag and stuff. For this type I think it is a Carpet snake? there used to be a yellow bellied tree snake live in the same place, but I think the carpet snake ate it! They are called Carpet snakes because that is where we like to hide them before our Usa visitors visit. ;) Now did I tell you about our Giant Soldier Ants? We used to have a cat once until, one day.....

edited March 2015

Here is a spline temple with Doric columns. I started with a 24 sided polygon on the drawing plane instead of a pure circle. I then used the pen tool to draw at the points of the polygon. I converted every third point to a curved point and moved it inside to create the grooves for the columns. The doric caps are circles with 5 sections. The middle sections were adjusted width with the symmetry extrusion preset. Curved points were used to make the doric shape.

24_sides_2.jpg
    1741 x 888 - 197K
    column_draw_2.jpg
    882 x 674 - 151K
    temple_spline.jpg
    940 x 705 - 29K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, volumetric cloud in the emitter. I'll post the emitter settings tomorrow if I have time.

Basically, the particle size is .75 ft, the number of particles is 35 +/- 10 PPS, and I have a negative gravity of .5 ft/second which when entered is actually a positive value (meaning particles go up). I moved the emitter away from the horses at frame 0, and at the four second mark, I moved the emitter into position near the hoof. I then went back along the timeline and moved it up and down every half second to simulate what it would look like with the hooves moving up and down.

I didn't actually run an animation, I just moved the play head to the end of timeline and set the renderer to just render the current frame. Because of the low number of particles emitted, it didn't take long to calculate. When the render tiles hit the intersecting clouds being spewed from the replicator, well, that did slow things down a bit, which is why I rendered the emitters separately.

For the scene itself, I needed the chariot and the horses to act as masks in the render passes, so I deleted any armor from the horses that wasn't needed as a mask. I deleted M4 and his stuff, I deleted the clouds and got rid of the atmosphere. I left the primary sunlight, but ditched my GI simulating light dome. I did add one distant light for fill and one bulb light per scene/pass that was on the same foot as the emitter. I replaced the textures on the horses with a shadow catcher, and set the render room to render an Alpha channel. Having only three lights helped the cloud particles render faster.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Here is a spline temple with Doric columns. I started with a 24 sided polygon on the drawing plane instead of a pure circle. I then used the pen tool to draw at the points of the polygon. I converted every third point to a curved point and moved it inside to create the grooves for the columns. The doric caps are circles with 5 sections. The middle sections were adjusted width with the symmetry extrusion preset. Curved points were used to make the doric shape.

Very nice work. I've done that myself as well, although your turned out better than mine. ;-)

In the old forums, there was a guy that built the clockworks for a watch, all in the spline modeler. It was very impressive and quite complex. I wish I could remember who it was.

My goal, which I seem never to get around to, is to build a Babylon 5, Vorlon ship. It will require numbering shapes, but if I can build a squid in the spline modeler, I should be able to do a Vorlon-like craft.

edited December 1969

Here are some relatively complex pillars. They were built in sections in the spline modeler and grouped together in the Assembly room.

The one with the twisted base I'm really happy with.

I did that one with a center circle and a bunch of smaller ones arranged around it. I then created two more cross-sections, for a total of three. I then went to the middle cross-section and selected all the shapes, went to the Arrange menu and chose rotate. I believe I rotated it 45º. I then went to the last cross-section and rotated that 45º.

Pillars.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 418K
    Picture_6.png
    282 x 249 - 17K
    Picture_5.png
    220 x 155 - 17K
    Picture_11.png
    705 x 698 - 142K
    Picture_10.png
    764 x 723 - 258K