Carrara Challenge #16 - Myth and Legend - WIP Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The angular pillar is more complex. The base has a main shape which is a square/rectangle. The geometric pattern is made by a series of thin rectangles that I shortened in each successive cross-section.

Picture_9.png
    832 x 819 - 183K
    Picture_4.png
    905 x 749 - 207K
    Picture_8.png
    916 x 888 - 27K
    Picture_7.png
    919 x 873 - 21K
    Picture_3.png
    681 x 752 - 128K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 8,010
    edited December 1969

just throwing some simple planes and vertex objects together along with some text and booleans while watching the semi-final in the cricket world cup

not as technical as EP's columns .. they look great :-)

also I have added some vines using Fenric's ivy maker

85CarraraWiP.jpg
    1186 x 729 - 134K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

Evil's such a show off, aye Stezza ? :)
    Here's something to keep Pam happy ;)

Doc4.jpg
    2000 x 1795 - 343K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited March 2015

Here is my latests adjustment to my second entry.

Still some changes to be made. There is a tree that is growing trough a fallen tree.... :grrr:

The girls costume does also need some tweaking/changes. I'm trying to make it similar to a simplified Norwegian Native costume.
    So I need to find some embroideries to create a new texture.

The girls pose is also something that I'm not to happy with.
    She is supposed to be standing at the edge of the forest, afraid to come out in the open.
    With a flair of danger and mystique.

huldra02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Some changes to the girl.

Still have to tweak the pose...

Doc1.jpg
    601 x 976 - 487K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,431
    edited December 1969

Update from me.

Shader work now done.
    Background image was constructed using Landscapes in Carrara. To be added to scene in final postwork.
    Postwork to be done.
    Will do a small series description & renders on the splashes & ripples for those who are interested.

Regards, Bunyip

Atlantis_Background.png
    1950 x 768 - 2M
    Atlantis_Background_Carrara.png
    1354 x 767 - 991K
    edited December 1969

Previous render, ripples were modelled, splashes were postwork.

PaludemRana_V2_final_TopazColBlast.jpg
    1950 x 1424 - 1M
    edited December 1969

First image is my final Carrara image with background added as post-work to the main scene.

Second image is setting the image up in PSP ready for the graphic work.
    I mainly use Ron's brushes as he has some excellent brushes to work with, I also use a few other brushes from various sources.

I have used a ripple effect to get the start of the ripples, added some splashes roughly to what appears to be the required scale.
    In PSP I have created layers for both the ripples and splashes for both characters, this allows me to blend or adjust the transparency to suit the required look. I may yet add some further layers especially if I want to add some extra colour to the water.

Will add a few more WIPs as I progress over the next few days.
    As a general rule I take my time rather than try and rush it, otherwise the end result is a bit trashy.

Atlantis_PostEffects01.png
    1950 x 674 - 1022K
    Atlantis2_dd.png
    1950 x 1463 - 6M
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Hi all!
    Just a reminder that the Entry Thread will close midnight Monday 30 March 2015, so there are about four days left to get your entry in over there!

Entry Thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54014/

MDO2010 said:

Dates to remember:
    Challenge Thread opens for WIP submissions: 2 March 2015
    Entry Thread opens: 16 March 2015
    Entry Closes: 30 March 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)
    Voting Period: 31 March 2015 0:00:01 CMT (UTC-6) to 7 April 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    Hi all!
    Just a reminder that the Entry Thread will close midnight Monday 30 March 2015, so there are about four days left to get your entry in over there!

Entry Thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54014/

MDO2010 said:

Dates to remember:
    Challenge Thread opens for WIP submissions: 2 March 2015
    Entry Thread opens: 16 March 2015
    Entry Closes: 30 March 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)
    Voting Period: 31 March 2015 0:00:01 CMT (UTC-6) to 7 April 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)

Thanks for the reminder. I'll try and kick myself in the ass to get a little work-flow posted on my compositing for smoke and other effects.

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Sorry I disappeared, but I've been able to put in some time today to see how far I could go with the image. Gave up trying to use Genesis 2 male for Sango, and switched to good ol trusty M4 with the Trey skin shader which I've never used before, would want to look into the skin shaders at some point to optimize it a little. For his costume, I decided not to try too hard at traditional kind of dress but went for a tech kinda battle gear, to update the myth a little, so I' ve got parts of the Sedition Soldier kit here, fused with parts of the Voyager M6 costume to still add a retro feel. I tweaked the shaders for the Voyager tunic by multiplying the textures that shipped with the set with two fabrics from the Totally Bazaar collection. Interestingly one of the fabrics I found in African collection in Totally Bazaar was called Nupe and in my research, I read that Sango's mother came from Nupe land, so I can claim slight adherence to the legend if that would save me from a thunder bolt sometime.

Sango's battle axe is key, I agonized about this for a while and found it hard resisting the temptation to go to familiar territory in Form Z for the modelling, eventually, I chose to kit -bash one of the daggers in the Dagger Dreams set on my runtime. It wasn't so bad, being too lazy to re-watch tutorials on modelling in Carrara, I messed around for a bit and surprisingly seemed to get something fairly close to what I wanted. So here are some screenshots from the model room to celebrate my gradual liberation from Carrara modelling phobia, and of course my latest WIP render.

Next, to work more on the shaders and see if I can use more relevant motifs on the walls and columns. I also want flames coming out of Sango's eyes and of course, blazing lightening in the background!

Yes, two more things, she is still Genesis 2 and I used fabric textures from Totally Bazaar on her costume (Artemesia gown) as well. Will still have to touch up her skin shader a little. They're both sporting corn rows from the Diversity hair set for Carrara, made the mistake of messing with the settings and it took me a while to unravel what I had raveled.

And yes, I added Glitch to the scene, just because I wanted the robotic bird in a render once I bought it. Glitch is Sango's royal bird in my alternate universe and has learnt how to hop out of the way once his master goes into a rage, lest a lightening bolt ignites his tail feathers!

sang_02.jpg
    640 x 360 - 39K
    Screenshot_2015-03-27_18.35_.09_.png
    1366 x 768 - 267K
    Screenshot_2015-03-27_18.33_.33_.png
    1366 x 768 - 253K
    Screenshot_2015-03-27_18.22_.25_.png
    1366 x 768 - 281K
    edited December 1969

Here are some relatively complex pillars. They were built in sections in the spline modeler and grouped together in the Assembly room.

The one with the twisted base I'm really happy with.

I did that one with a center circle and a bunch of smaller ones arranged around it. I then created two more cross-sections, for a total of three. I then went to the middle cross-section and selected all the shapes, went to the Arrange menu and chose rotate. I believe I rotated it 45º. I then went to the last cross-section and rotated that 45º.

Oh, so this is how to make ropes and stuff, thank EP, cool stuff!

edited December 1969

Sorry I disappeared, but I've been able to put in some time today to see how far I could go with the image. Gave up trying to use Genesis 2 male for Sango, and switched to good ol trusty M4 with the Trey skin shader which I've never used before, would want to look into the skin shaders at some point to optimize it a little. For his costume, I decided not to try too hard at traditional kind of dress but went for a tech kinda battle gear, to update the myth a little, so I' ve got parts of the Sedition Soldier kit here, fused with parts of the Voyager M6 costume to still add a retro feel. I tweaked the shaders for the Voyager tunic by multiplying the textures that shipped with the set with two fabrics from the Totally Bazaar collection. Interestingly one of the fabrics I found in African collection in Totally Bazaar was called Nupe and in my research, I read that Sango's mother came from Nupe land, so I can claim slight adherence to the legend if that would save me from a thunder bolt sometime.

Sango's battle axe is key, I agonized about this for a while and found it hard resisting the temptation to go to familiar territory in Form Z for the modelling, eventually, I chose to kit -bash one of the daggers in the Dagger Dreams set on my runtime. It wasn't so bad, being too lazy to re-watch tutorials on modelling in Carrara, I messed around for a bit and surprisingly seemed to get something fairly close to what I wanted. So here are some screenshots from the model room to celebrate my gradual liberation from Carrara modelling phobia, and of course my latest WIP render.

Next, to work more on the shaders and see if I can use more relevant motifs on the walls and columns. I also want flames coming out of Sango's eyes and of course, blazing lightening in the background!

Yes, two more things, she is still Genesis 2 and I used fabric textures from Totally Bazaar on her costume (Artemesia gown) as well. Will still have to touch up her skin shader a little. They're both sporting corn rows from the Diversity hair set for Carrara, made the mistake of messing with the settings and it took me a while to unravel what I had raveled.

And yes, I added Glitch to the scene, just because I wanted the robotic bird in a render once I bought it. Glitch is Sango's royal bird in my alternate universe and has learnt how to hop out of the way once his master goes into a rage, lest a lightening bolt ignites his tail feathers!

scary battle axe! The drama of this image is unfolding nicely!
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Fantastic stuff, everyone.

Further research into the Helen/Paris/Meneleus myth has resulted in significant changes in what I want to do. Hopefully I will have time. Apparently, Helen and Menelaos had a daughter named Hermione. Helen abandoned not only Menelaos but also her daughter (and according to some sources there were some sons as well). This supports the interpretation that Aphrodite and her son Eros caused Helen to "lose her mind" to run off with Paris, which after all the goddess was arranging in payment for a debt.

So, time permitting, I want to have Helen leading Paris out of a feast while Menelaos and his warriors are distracted by the goddess's powers - but little Hermione is too young to be deceived by lust.

- A fairly standard approach. I made a tunic for The Kids 4, created a morph zone so I could edit in the posed position, and then attached the tunic to the skeleton. I did not bother making a conforming figure or using the undersuit/softbody. Simple pose really doesn't need that stuff, I don't think. I had to do some minor adjustments with the bone influences, but it was only one column.

hermione_alert.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    K4_Tunic_3_make_morph_target_adjust_edit_green.JPG
    935 x 854 - 117K
    edited December 1969

Very pro diomede64, I love how you build everything from scratch, not like us lazy buggers ;)

edited December 1969

Here's my final thingy, "Sant Padrig Taflu y Pagan Devils Allan Iwerddon", with Welsh Red Dragons after Pam revealed St Pat was Welsh ;)

nobeardnopost.jpg
    1506 x 2000 - 781K
    insitu1.jpg
    2000 x 1154 - 376K
    wizardrobesFINAL.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 948K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

That's awesome and intricate headwax.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jon, :) I obviously have too much time on my hands !

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,010
    edited December 1969

continuing on....

hammer time :-)
    no postwork --- yet ;-)

Thor85.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 515K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

That is really cool, head wax - would make a great stained gless window. Think you should borrow my beard, though:)

@Stezza - coming along really well - very dramatic. What on earth about C has offended Thor?

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    That is really cool, head wax - would make a great stained gless window. Think you should borrow my beard, though:)

@Stezza - coming along really well - very dramatic. What on earth about C has offended Thor?

Beta database update thingy I believe.
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Rather take the hammer to the owners :)!!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Diolch yn fawr Andrew. :coolsmile:

Looks good.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Looks good.

I think some keys on your keyboard are stuck.
    ;-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Looks good.

I think some keys on your keyboard are stuck.
    ;-)

http://cheezburger.com/1508877056

edited December 1969

Pretty funny! :lol:

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Thanks Headwax.

This here is the final version. Skin shaders optimized, flower moulding on the wall panels replaced with patterns made in the model room, some plants thrown on the walls with ivy generator, then I played with light bulbs and lens flares and aura effects to get the glint in his eye and the glow on the axe. The lightning streak is cheesy, I know, too tired to try anything else, but I found this tutorial quite helpful for making lightning. Though the ivy generator was used in Blender, it was easy to replicate the steps in Carrara to get similar results. I'm going to get some sleep, and then come back to see how everyone is doing!

sang_056.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 282K
    edited December 1969

I had hoped to have a higher resolution image as my entry. We'll see if I can get one done.

My postwork was mainly to add particle smoke trails to the feet of the horses. The particles are volumetric clouds, and if you have ever worked with them, then you know that when they intersect, it slows the render down immensely.

I have rendered a smoke trail for each foot of the horse in the foreground. I set the renderer to render the current frame and moved my play head to the end of the standard four second timeline, and placed the emitter in each of the four scenes to be immediately behind the foot that is supposed to have the smoke trail. I then scrubbed back to frame 0, moved the emitter back to where I wanted the smoke trail to end, and in between the frame 0 and the the end of the timeline I keyframed the emitter up and down every half second. Even though this was never intended to be an animation, the emitter will calculate the particles as if it were, and create a nice trail of smoke.

I also placed a bulb light near each foot with a 3D light sphere to suggest a fiery foot.

For each smoke trail, I rendered a Volume Effect pass, which captures the 3D light sphere in its own layer, and a Volume Primitive pass that captures the smoke in its own layers (one color, one black and white).

Because I had a smoke trail render for each foot, I ended up with four Photoshop files, each with the background image, a layer for the volume effect and two for the volume primitive. Carrara made the Volume Effect layer's blend mode Linear Dodge (Add), the color Volume Primitive layer as Linear Dodge, and the black and white Volume Primitive Layer as Multiply.

I copied the layer passes from their original documents and pasted them into the main render, and set the layer blend modes to the same as their original document. Some of the light effects in the volume primitive passes weren't bright enough for me, so I copied an pasted an additional layer and set that to the same blend mode (Linear Dodge). I reduced the fill of the multiply layers to around 60% because the smoke trails were getting very dark.

Picture_4.png
    995 x 773 - 964K
    Picture_3.png
    998 x 777 - 953K
    Picture_2.png
    1000 x 775 - 91K
    Picture_1.png
    1215 x 768 - 110K
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Here's my final thingy, "Sant Padrig Taflu y Pagan Devils Allan Iwerddon", with Welsh Red Dragons after Pam revealed St Pat was Welsh ;)

Very nice Andrew!

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Thanks Headwax.

This here is the final version. Skin shaders optimized, flower moulding on the wall panels replaced with patterns made in the model room, some plants thrown on the walls with ivy generator, then I played with light bulbs and lens flares and aura effects to get the glint in his eye and the glow on the axe. The lightning streak is cheesy, I know, too tired to try anything else, but I found this tutorial quite helpful for making lightning. Though the ivy generator was used in Blender, it was easy to replicate the steps in Carrara to get similar results. I'm going to get some sleep, and then come back to see how everyone is doing!

Nice to see a non-Euro-centric myth! Nicely done. Who is the little green guy?