Renders Made Using Carrara PA products.

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks DB, I'm going to get a very short clip with this scene just to show wether we can achieve animations without flickering or noise within carrara, in presence of foliage and reflections. I have only to fix a cinematographic look

I've found that: For anti-flicker on high detail as such in animations:

Set Object Accuracy to: 0.5

flickering in animations?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331
    MistyMist said:

thanks DB, I'm going to get a very short clip with this scene just to show wether we can achieve animations without flickering or noise within carrara, in presence of foliage and reflections. I have only to fix a cinematographic look

I've found that: For anti-flicker on high detail as such in animations:

Set Object Accuracy to: 0.5

flickering in animations?

Yes. Rendering high details at lower object accuracy will cause a slight bit of flicker within those fine details. Perhaps higher resolution renders diminish this somewhat... I'm not sure.

Sometimes a subtle blur - like a gaussian blur - in vfx post processes can reduce these to a less noticable state.

a few test renders of new stuff smiley

the apple shader renders plain yellow on a plane, tilted plane started seeing color

an englishvil.jpg
    1600 x 780 - 243K
    appleshader tilting objs.JPG
    1488 x 777 - 174K
    appleshader tilting objs.png
    1280 x 800 - 795K
    cucumberr tilting objs.png
    1280 x 800 - 922K
    HOFO-orange, peach, pancakes.png
    1280 x 800 - 1M
    linton.png
    1240 x 720 - 837K
    edited October 2016

Have you seen the new Ocean system for Daz Studio?

iREAL Animated Ocean Water System for Daz Studio (PROMO REEL) from The Philosopher on Vimeo.

The artist gives his very quick render settings that he used to make the animations - and we can see that the entire screen is filled - literally filled with this same effect - but in the form of Graininess instead of flickers.

In  those results, it still shows the system and how wonderfully powerful it truly is! I'm not trying to demote how incredible this thing is! Believe me! It's just an example of how we all have to decide how much clarity and detail we need to pull off what we want to say. In his examples, we can see graininess which does not move along with the nice motions of his excellent moving water.

Being what it is, and that it uses aniBlocks for motion, I'm really considering trying this system in Carrara. I know that we're going WAY off topic here... but it helps to answer the question.

I'm definitely more 'at home' at rendering animations in Carrara's native engine than those time-regulated PBR techniques. I know (by trying LuxusCore) that I can get great results, yes. I'm just saying that I certainly feel much more comfortable being able to just set my wants in the render room, load them all up in Batch Queue, and go to sleep. The renders all finish - each frame finishes, whether they might take longer or not... they each finish. PBR we need to test each scene separately to find the cut-off point. Which is fine, if that's what you do... but I still don't care for it over the Native Engine.

I think it's in his tutorial where he mentions his render settings used in his promos. He's really cool, and I love his product and the passion he's put into it! I want to get this thing! :)

Animated Ocean Water System for Daz Studio (TUTORIAL) from The Philosopher on Vimeo.

*Although a single ocean tile is only 90,000 polygons and a couple small textures, tiling multiple ocean tiles will require proportionally more computer resources **For tiling multiple grids, a GPU with a minimum of 2,000 CUDA cores is recommended. ***Optimized for iRay.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

Dart - if you get the iREAL Ocean, I'd be interested to see if it can be made to work in Carrara. I messaged The Philosopher about this but he is not familiar with Carrara and so couldn't help, and then I got sidetracked onto other stuff.

PhilW said:

Dart - if you get the iREAL Ocean, I'd be interested to see if it can be made to work in Carrara. I messaged The Philosopher about this but he is not familiar with Carrara and so couldn't help, and then I got sidetracked onto other stuff.

I really wanted to - I was really jazzed about it!

But then, like what happens when I look a the idea of buying another modeler or something like that (I get excited easily), I decided that the Ocean Primitive in Carrara is actually just fine for me. It would be neat to have the control of keyframes from imported aniBlocks... which is what got me all jazzed up... but then I remembered that I really don't do that much 'focusing on the water' in any of my stuff. 

I have ocean scenes coming up somewhere around episode three or something... but although we'll see the sea (like what I did there?) it won't be the main focal point - and I alreay know that Carrara's Ocean does the trick just fine.

Sorry for getting all excited and then dropping the ball :\

edited October 2016

In a slightly different sense of "Using Carrara PA Products", the only part of Howie Farkes' "Stoney Creek" in this render is his cool Fake GI system. 

I altered the replicated spot light (which is thousands of feet away) to use a really tight cone diameter. I think I finally settled on 2 or 3 degrees, which broadens out by the time it reaches this scene. Then I made the color more saturated - nice and blue. Then I duplicated it a few times, each time changing the color of the light. Just to make sure I wasn't gett residuals from those, I dragged them down farther beneath the surface.

So then I went in and played around in the surface replicator, getting a bunch of these 'city lights' all over, yet added clustering and such - it was really fun. I do this sort of thing  lot for city scenes like this which require tons of artificial light as well as the natural atmosphere.

This is all Coflek Gnorg stuff - mostly the Techno Town Construction Kit, but a few pieces from SciFi City and then there are those SteamPunk towers in the near distance. This is a fun set. It will soon be filled with all manner of Cyberpunk-like activity throughout the streets (like Shadowrun type setting) with more smoke emitting devices, vehicles and a bunch of litter. Probably even a cop scene down this main stretch... two or three cars with their red and blues flashing, and some sort of activity going on between the cops and whoever... that part will just be visual background noise - but it will help 'sell' the proper mood of this setting.

Currently it's a relatively lite scene - even with what we see here duplicated four more times to complete the surround... but hen I omitted a lot of stuff that just shouldn't have been kept. Renders in about a minute right now.

Techno City 3ah.png
    1360 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited October 2016

hmm pa render of  the Walk Cycle tutorial...

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Have you seen the new Ocean system for Daz Studio?

iREAL Animated Ocean Water System for Daz Studio (PROMO REEL) from The Philosopher on Vimeo.

The artist gives his very quick render settings that he used to make the animations - and we can see that the entire screen is filled - literally filled with this same effect - but in the form of Graininess instead of flickers.

In  those results, it still shows the system and how wonderfully powerful it truly is! I'm not trying to demote how incredible this thing is! Believe me! It's just an example of how we all have to decide how much clarity and detail we need to pull off what we want to say. In his examples, we can see graininess which does not move along with the nice motions of his excellent moving water.

Being what it is, and that it uses aniBlocks for motion, I'm really considering trying this system in Carrara. I know that we're going WAY off topic here... but it helps to answer the question.

I'm definitely more 'at home' at rendering animations in Carrara's native engine than those time-regulated PBR techniques. I know (by trying LuxusCore) that I can get great results, yes. I'm just saying that I certainly feel much more comfortable being able to just set my wants in the render room, load them all up in Batch Queue, and go to sleep. The renders all finish - each frame finishes, whether they might take longer or not... they each finish. PBR we need to test each scene separately to find the cut-off point. Which is fine, if that's what you do... but I still don't care for it over the Native Engine.

I think it's in his tutorial where he mentions his render settings used in his promos. He's really cool, and I love his product and the passion he's put into it! I want to get this thing! :)

Animated Ocean Water System for Daz Studio (TUTORIAL) from The Philosopher on Vimeo.

*Although a single ocean tile is only 90,000 polygons and a couple small textures, tiling multiple ocean tiles will require proportionally more computer resources **For tiling multiple grids, a GPU with a minimum of 2,000 CUDA cores is recommended. ***Optimized for iRay.

Hey @Dartanbeck

Thanks for the kind words on my Ocean product. I think the flickering/graininess you are refering to is just the low iterations that I rendered each frame to. If I recall correctly, I only rendered each frame out to 100 iterations (to save time), hence the slight graininess in the promo reel you linked to. If you render out to 300 iterations or more, the grainiess will go away, and will look more like the promo images. 

Also, keep me updated if you guys try to get this working with Cararra. I would be interested in learning more about the pipeline between the two programs.

-P

Have you seen the new Ocean system for Daz Studio?

Hey @Dartanbeck

Thanks for the kind words on my Ocean product. I think the flickering/graininess you are refering to is just the low iterations that I rendered each frame to. If I recall correctly, I only rendered each frame out to 100 iterations (to save time), hence the slight graininess in the promo reel you linked to. If you render out to 300 iterations or more, the grainiess will go away, and will look more like the promo images. 

Also, keep me updated if you guys try to get this working with Cararra. I would be interested in learning more about the pipeline between the two programs.

-P

Yes. I knew it was just Iray and not your wonderful Ocean. Looks really, Really cool!

•  

There is always Unreal Engine, does all that PBR (or not) stuff and much, much more in real time and quite nicely I would say, no flickering and no noise ...

There are even brand new shiny cinematography tools included ...

All user has to do is to tell the storysmiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited October 2016

New recruit, with Naomi's 5 Times a Lady Hair, http://www.daz3d.com/5-times-the-ladies

and figure skin David 5 for Genesis by Ringomonfort.  http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-skin-shaders-for-david-5

Genesis pretending to be David 3 wearing the David 3 steampunk cowboy adjusted to be US cavalry.

New recruit WIP Naomi Hair.jpg
    1250 x 2000 - 104K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Very nice, diomede!

Thanks.  Intend to try to participate more in the general render threads.  Much to learn.  Time for me to start asking.

diomede said:

Thanks.  Intend to try to participate more in the general render threads.  Much to learn.  Time for me to start asking.

Me too, my friend... me too.

On a side note, this fellow looks like he might fit nicely into your Brash production! ;)

I don't know why, but I keep forgetting that Naomi made all of those Carrara hair products. This one really looks great!

exploring the medieval garden

medv.png
    1600 x 950 - 2M
    medv2.png
    1600 x 950 - 1M
    edited November 2016

Male bonding time.  Everyman hair by Naomi  (for the Its Rainng Men challenge)

Post edited by Diomede on
  • This is Dartanbeck's Envorokit - Woodlands with Smay's Mr. Hyde as the Hulk. I can't believe how easy it was to get a great render with minimal tweaking. 

Hulk in Woodland EnviroKit 5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Brian, nice render!

I was collecting Marvel comics when the Hulk was first introduced. 

And I am also a bit of a smay fan, as I have two of his products.  But I had totally overlooked Mr. Hyde.

Thanks for waking me up!  Do you know any products for Ben Grim, The Thing? 

I've seen this - http://www.daz3d.com/rock-troll - but I'm hoping for something a bit closer.  Maybe different shaders will help.

Cool! I was going to get Mr. Hyde when it first came out, but it was reported to not work in Carrara! Nice to know I can get it now!

This is Dartanbeck's Envorokit - Woodlands with Smay's Mr. Hyde as the Hulk. I can't believe how easy it was to get a great render with minimal tweaking. 

Very cool scene, Brian!!!

Brian - looks like a good image, except that it looks really dark on my screen.

• PhilW said:

Brian - looks like a good image, except that it looks really dark on my screen.

Phil,

it looks fine on my Mac. I wonder why it's so dark in the forum. I didn't change the lighting from Dart's default. 

Tremendous character creation.  yes    I can see it on my computer fine, but it is very dark on my Ipad.  Not sure about screen calibration, but the difference is interesting. 

I think there is a difference between Mac and Windows default gamma correction applied to the screen, that may not help, although this looks a bit extreme than that. I tried saving the image and then loading it into Photoshop, and when I look at Levels it shows that all the values are between 0 and 95 (as opposed to 0 to 255). That is not right!

• I'm on a PC.  It is very dark, but for whatever reason, I like it this way.

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited November 2016
    PhilW said:

I think there is a difference between Mac and Windows default gamma correction applied to the screen, that may not help, although this looks a bit extreme than that. I tried saving the image and then loading it into Photoshop, and when I look at Levels it shows that all the values are between 0 and 95 (as opposed to 0 to 255). That is not right!

Thanks Phil. That is weird. Let me do the same analysis on the Mac file and see what I get. 

I just noticed that the file looks OK on my Mac screen at work. When I looked at it at home on my iPad last night it was too dark. Other images I post don't have this issue. Now I'm confused. 

Post edited by BrianP21361 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

Old post I just found

A few different treatments of PhilW's excellent City Central Night scene.

Rendered out firstly as a Toon1Part111 render, then rendered out several different passes and combined with postwork in post.

It renders very fast as you don't need anti aliasing on :)

Much use of the index pass to help isolate the different scene objects.

heres some stuff from dimension theory you might not have seen

amazing mechanical abstraction 

and a a how to tutorial to make the above

carrara volumed cube - cloud in a cube - didnt becaome a product??? maybe it did with the clouds 9 products ?

cloud 9 ad 

dimension theory's channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIlDGlOOUShZBSQiRJnDQeg

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008
    edited October 2018

Gliding Around 

Gliding Around.png
    998 x 561 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on

let's guess Mike Moirs ? and PhilW plus a little stezza? plus Dick Smith? :)