There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 3

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,855

SilverGirl said:

Looks like the return of all items from the month have brought the return for the higher priced doorbusters and DFADs. And no new releases roday.... that part strikes me as really odd, given the backlog of products waiting for release.

Fortunately my tokens are valid until end of Sunday, today's offers were nothing to get exited about... 

• SilverGirl said:

Looks like the return of all items from the month have brought the return for the higher priced doorbusters and DFADs. And no new releases roday.... that part strikes me as really odd, given the backlog of products waiting for release.

A new day with zero new releases definitely doesn't feel right. I don't remember that ever happening before, at least from recent memory. A new strategy to make the backlog last longer?

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,938

It's a strategy to make my modest store credit last longer

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 439

Torquinox said:

Yeah, it doesn't really scream 'grand finale' when the deals are actually worse than at several points earlier in the month... which weren't particularly impressive themselves. Or, at the very least, certainly nothing better than some random day in any other month. 

• There were a few things I was interested in a week or so ago that I couldn't pick up, so I might later this weekend. Or maybe not, since this sale has has been bad enough I've lost interest in buying. I will see how I feel Saturday or Sunday.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,230

britscriptwriter said:

SilverGirl said:

A new day with zero new releases definitely doesn't feel right. I don't remember that ever happening before, at least from recent memory. A new strategy to make the backlog last longer?

That happens quite often during catchup sales.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,855

Leana said:

britscriptwriter said:

SilverGirl said:

That happens quite often during catchup sales.

Maybe on Sunday, but I don't remember one happening before during weekdays. 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,652

It's not unheard of, it just doesn't happen regularly.

• I've got so many items I'd like to pick up, treated myself to a silly amount of store credit last month, and have added loads of new releases to my wishlist during this sale, but I simply haven't seen prices I'm willing to pay. I was expecting to renew my store credit at the end of this month, but that looks to be a long, long way off now. And with the current store pricing and falling off the token train because I wasn't even enthused at an extra 25% off, I'm seriously questioning if I'll ever buy credit again. It'd be better off in my bank account gaining interest or being available to dip into to shop elsewhere.

Hoping the pricing is working for someone because it sure isn't for me.

• I picked up a ton of stuff yesterday - virtually all current - at around 90% or more off, but I do have to admit that it was in part because 1) I had 8 tokens expiring at Daz-midnight and 2) it was a screaming deal, not because I really, really wanted those items. To be fair, my wishlist is vastly depleted (almost emptied it not long ago) but even so, not one thing I bought was on it.

SilverGirl said:

Torquinox said:

Yeah, it doesn't really scream 'grand finale' when the deals are actually worse than at several points earlier in the month... which weren't particularly impressive themselves. Or, at the very least, certainly nothing better than some random day in any other month. 

Agreed. At the end of the day, I did pretty well. The survey credit helped a lot and I used my coupons. It just wasn't the sort of sale we think of when one says "Daz+ Sale." I didn't end up extending my Daz+ membership. Odd, that. A couple times, I almost did, and then I didn't. There's always tomorrow and Sunday, maybe even some of next week. No idea. We shall see.

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 302

I think the irony is that a lot of offers during DAZ+ sale gave 20% off GCs so while many of us did not buy a lot from store I am pretty sure we all got a nice store credits and that is a money for DAZ.

Torquinox said:

I didn't end up extending my Daz+ membership. Odd, that. A couple times, I almost did, and then I didn't.

I would have at the beginning of the month if they'd gotten the issue with it not accepting store credit sorted out before my US2 discount expired. After that, I haven't been able to get it that low again without buying things I didn't have a use for, and that felt too much like rewarding the company for poor customer service.

I mean, I get it. Sometimes things break, and they take as long as they take to get them fixed. I'm sure none of the code-techs in charge of getting it fixed were having a good weekend. Goodness knows I couldn't do better. But in that case, the honorable thing to do is extend the expired discount an extra day or two. They chose not to, so... I wait, I guess. My subscription's good through October of '25, so I'm sure something tempting and operational will come along between now and then.

Tomhip said:

I think the irony is that a lot of offers during DAZ+ sale gave 20% off GCs so while many of us did not buy a lot from store I am pretty sure we all got a nice store credits and that is a money for DAZ.

Yup.

And although WE like to go on buying sprees with carts full of stuff for cheap, from a business standpoint if they can keep their revenue about the same selling fewer items, that means (theoretically) there's still stuff in people's wishlists that they'll spend on later. It leaves out the psychological component, of course, of people getting disenchanted when they can no longer afford what they want, or getting frustrated with the sales and just not buying anything... but if the numbers are the same... 

Tomhip said:

I thought about that. And what is the thinking on that? If we all sit on our store credit, we're not buying *more* store credit. I can definitivley say, when the deals are attractive, I spend considerably more when I have store credit. Without it, I spend a lot less. And when the deals seem unattractive, I also sit on my store credit until conditions improve. I only started buying store credit because it looked really weird having a whole bunch of small purchases on my CC bill, as happened last December.

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 302

Torquinox said:

Tomhip said:

I thought about that. And what is the thinking on that? If we all sit on our store credit, we're not buying *more* store credit. I can definitivley say, when the deals are attractive, I spend considerably more when I have store credit. Without it, I spend a lot less. And when the deals seem unattractive, I also sit on my store credit until conditions improve. I only started buying store credit because it looked really weird having a whole bunch of small purchases on my CC bill, as happened last December.

I meant it only from DAZ+ sale perspective, and that while we all feel like it was weak, internally it might very much been a success due to revenue (and even this is all conjecture, only DAZ knows).

Of course this would cause problems on it own and impact revenues later if we choose not to spend, but they would be aware of that and prepare juicy offers next ;p?

Me: Oooh! Oooh! Orange banner! Orange -- oh. Nevermind. Just an advert.

I wish they made the adverts a different color. Gets my hopes up.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,328

SilverGirl said:

Me: Oooh! Oooh! Orange banner! Orange -- oh. Nevermind. Just an advert.

I wish they made the adverts a different color. Gets my hopes up.

Not only that but it goes to an OOPS page 

Tomhip said:

Of course this would cause problems on it own and impact revenues later if we choose not to spend, but they would be aware of that and prepare juicy offers next ;p?

One may only hope! laugh

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,917

I am in the process of uninstalling my content from an 8Tb drive to install it on my new 18Tb drive and an Orange Banner popped up in the middle to 'All New DAZ Studio Update! Preview 4.23'. Of course I have 14,673 items still to uninstall and then reinstall on the new drive. I didn't see anything in the DAZ Studio forums. Anyone know what's up?

• Selling less digital products for the same revenue has never made strategic sense to me *shrug* Selling more, in my view, gives you a more robust customer base, and if you want to grow it, chasing lower prices is where you can get wriggle room to increase your profits. That aside, I can imagine support costs may be quite high, but that's a quality issue not a pricing one.

memcneil70 said:

I am in the process of uninstalling my content from an 8Tb drive to install it on my new 18Tb drive and an Orange Banner popped up in the middle to 'All New DAZ Studio Update! Preview 4.23'. Of course I have 14,673 items still to uninstall and then reinstall on the new drive. I didn't see anything in the DAZ Studio forums. Anyone know what's up?

Editorial license tags and some better searching facilities, although I swear the click on a tag in the info pane to automatically populate a search and filter products feature has been in Studio for a while. I've certainly been using it.

• Anyone gotten any good Lightning Deals lately? The last one I bought was https://www.daz3d.com/tree-giant-bundle at the very end of May, for $6. Since then, it's all gone back to things I'm not interested in. The last few days I've seen Meta Mixer add-ons several times and I don't have (or want) the base. The algorithm has offered a handful of G3/G8 figures or bundles, but not ones I want.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,465

As far as I can tell, the "algorithm" for Lightning Deals is just a random number generator. I've certainly never noticed any correlation between what's offered and, well, anything.

I've gotten a lot of repeats of things I've passed up numerous times already, mixed in with things I haven't seen before but definitely have no interest in. But that's pretty much a day that ends in -y for me. 

My lightning deals have been lackluster - I get some good bundles but the prices haven't thrilled me and no sweeteners so no sale. frown That said, still a fan of lightning deals. When they pop, they pop!

I'm not invested in the algorithm vs random selection debate. As long as LD serves me the goodies at a great price, I'm a happy guy.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,604

i got a WL item one day. Once. 

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,175

8 tokens to spend today - but no new releases, no incentives, no coupons etc - might really skip Aeons new stuff and Wagner 9 for now.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,571

Rod Wise Driggo said:

8 tokens to spend today - but no new releases, no incentives, no coupons etc - might really skip Aeons new stuff and Wagner 9 for now.

Yeah I only remember one other sale where I actively hoped for it to end soon, because everyday sales were so much more fun and interesting ...  But well, I got myself some nice things still, and now I'm waiting for Mesh Grabber 4 to release.