The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,893

PerttiA said:

Sfariah D said:

I think it is hot outside.  I want a shower but I fear I would go into shock if I take a shower right after coming inside.

No worries... In Sauna we take a shower after having sat inside for 10-15 minutes at 140-210F. That is... If it's not winter and we don't have a hole in the ice to dive into.

thanks!  I took my shower and feel okay. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,628

Sfariah D said:

I think it is hot outside.  I want a shower but I fear I would go into shock if I take a shower right after coming inside.

This time of the year, I usually mow the lawn in 90 degree weather in yoga pants and a long sleeve shirt, or even a full bodysuit. Not because I think it looks good but because I like my entire body covered with a layer of protection from the bugs and unidentified plants. After that's over, I immediately get into the shower in case any of the bugs or alien plant venom got past my layer of whore protection. I did not die. And I guess by my definition that means I won.

McGyver said:

General complaint: Step By Step How To Instructions that go like this: (example: custom water slide decals)

1- So wanna do the thing... Great!

(ad for miracle elixir make from pigeon feathers)

2- It's fun and you can make lots of designs!

(ad for gutter repair)

3- Use a graphics program like photoshop or illustrator to make your graphics 

(ad for a reptile dysfunction pills)

4- print the graphics on decal paper.

(Ad for "free" money the government "owes" you)

5- cut out the decals.

(ad for software that will clean your computer- DOWNLOAD NOW!)

6- apply the decals to your project.

(ad for "free" solar panels you doctor doesn't want you to know about)

7- wasn't that fun!  

Literally that... like no details, no sources for materials or techniques or anything useful... just useless nonsense bookended by clickbait.

It's like "How to climb a mountain safely"...

1- Go outside

2- Find a mountain.

3- Climb up it.

4- Don't fall off.

5- Climb back down.

6- Go home and have hot chocolate.

7- Wasn't that fun! 

There should be a minimum fine of 300 days community service for writing crap like that... and that includes idiots on Reddit who actually post links to articles like that when someone asks a question... they are time wasting land mines that you come across when reading what seems to be a serious thread. Most likely posted by some smug buttnugget who didn't even read the article, just googled it because they think they are the only ones who can use a search engine... meanwhile you can see the OP is asking for a legitimate reference, like a source someone may have previously found useful, not "I'm too lazy to read through 4000 clickbait articles and watch 40 hours of useless YouTube videos"... legit asking "can you suggest a good information source?".

The internet is getting worse and worse and thanks to employing "AI" to make suggestions it's getting dumber and dumber.

It's only a matter of time before one of the AI assistants reads your post and starts offering a modified version of it as instructions for people looking to climb decals out of order to slide down a mountain and make safety. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,325

NylonGirl said:... [snip}

It's only a matter of time before one of the AI assistants reads your post and starts offering a modified version of it as instructions for people looking to climb decals out of order to slide down a mountain and make safety. 

That's already possible, just find yourself a poorly translated manual for a toaster.

Back when I was working for that technological think-tank in Washington DC, we ran across a poorly translated full-page ad in a fancy, glossy, thick professional electronics device magazine, which was replete with gushing details of its specifications and praises, but nobody in our group (we were all engineers & scientists) could figure out what the damn thing was for.surprise  We started calling it the "gizmo".

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,388
    edited June 27

Black Panther

20230513_082438[1].jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

AgitatedRiot said:

Black Panther

cute! 

The My Kitty Looks Like A Black Panther Complaint Thread

Black Cat Up Close

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,039

AgitatedRiot said:

Black Panther

Sometimes when you stare into the void, you find the void is staring back at you.

edited June 28

McGyver said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Black Panther

Sometimes when you stare into the void, you find the void is staring back at you.

No, in this case, it's just a Triffid. indecision

But yours is an interesting thought.  I've often likewise mused on the idea that "The Universe is but a mirror staring back at one's self, through time."   (*Aummm...*)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

It is cooler today.  Right now it is 83 instead of the 90's!

Though it is still hot outside!

IMG_2302.png
    1170 x 2532 - 5M

Non-complaint:  New version of RIVEN;  Yay, the newly released (2 days ago) version of RIVEN is delightfully different, but the same.  So far, I've discovered at least one brand-new puzzle, that is engaging and already has me mostly lost in the combination complexities.  And the ability to walk in places that were hitherto unreachable, and to see things from new vantage points, has revived my original enjoyment of this game which has always been one of my favorite MYST series games from a quarter century ago.  And it's also now designed to work with VR.  Not that I have a VR setup, but I can imagine this new 3D puzzle could be nauseating or at least disorienting or dizzying in VR (great funyes).  I debated busting my budget for this new game, but it's on sale for a few days and  I've gotten my money's worth in just the first half hour. smiley

An added bonus is that it takes my mind off of that damn minecart thing in the vault area of the game FIRMAMENT, that I've been beating my head against for 6 months (on & mostly off)frown

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,823

Need to move further up north... Yesterday it was 26C (79F) when I got home, but now we are going over 30C (86F) already.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,644
    edited June 28

It was over 100F here in Ohio the first part of the week with the heat index. Been in the mid 90F the last couple days

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,823

frank0314 said:

It was over 100F here in Ohio the first part of the week with the heat index. Been in the mid 90F the last couple days

Yeah, but Ohio is 20 dgrees of latitude and 1400 miles south from here, thats like tropical rainforests laugh

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,644

It never use to get above 90 in the dead of summer on the hottest day of the year. It's barely summer and we're getting 100's on a reg basis now. We're lucky if we get snow 1 week out of the year maybe accumulating to 6 inches when for 4 decade we were measuring dozens of feet a year and it snowed from late Oct to mid to late March. Temps were usually between 5-10F and in the -0F with the windchill most of the winter. Just 10 yrs ago we had record lows with the windchill in the -40F's. We don't even get cold enough now to snow until late Feb. I feel like I'm living in Texas or California again as far as the winters go. Don't get me wrong, my body appreciates the warmer temps.

I made coffee last night but left it at home.  Now waiting for work to open.

They aren't in yet to my knowledge?

edited June 28

Still enjoying my new RIVEN 2024 game.  Several hours into it now, and it actually has several surprising modifications of the original version.  Switches in different places, old routes blocked off, modified puzzles, and that Myst-ish feeling of "what is this for?", and "OK, now what do I do?", and "how the fxxx do I get there from here", has returned.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.yes 

Minor complaint:   However, I already found one bug.  I got myself trapped in a place that didn't used to be accesible, but now it is, and I found a way to get there, but the way back was prevented by a bug that evaporated my cursor and I couldn't press the the switch that would let me escape.frown

Minor complaint resolved:  So, there I was, stuck on a ledge thinking "OK, now what do I do?" and gave up and exited the game.  But I immediately restarted it and in the process it detected, and automatically downloaded, an available patch.  The new patch solved my issue.yes  Guess I wasn't the first one to find that bug.indecision  But cool, and I went on gaming.smiley

Non-complaint:  And because this modern version of RIVEN lets you wander instead of hop to predetermined spots, they've taken advantage of that and put interesting (and apparently futurely useful) things in the places that you previously couldn't get to.  So, it pays to explore.yesenlightened

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,039
    edited June 29

I just got home, but earlier my daughter (she's an EMT now) was at a local hospital picking up an elderly patient for transport back to a nursing home when all of a sudden the hospital was swamped with accident victims and police... apparently a drunk driver crashed into a nail salon and killed four people inside and severely injured 9 others... drove all the way through to the back pinning one victim to the rear wall... some of the details are pretty bad... most of the victims were inside the salon... but of course the driver was just fine, treated for cut and bruises.

Theres a Home Depot nearby where that happened and the other day I went there to find out about renting a post hole digging machine and I was waiting for the traffic light and noticed there was nail salon there (most of the stores there are like performance auto parts, tile installation, cabinetry shops, stuff like that... so aside from a couple of take out places I was surprised there'd be a nail salon there... it's weird because I never noticed the place... 

I really hate drunk drivers... I've been hit twice (on a bike) by what I suspected were drunk drivers and had one crash right in front of my house, partially on my lawn (flipped her SUV)... a couple of years ago I came across an accident on the highway by my house where a totally blitzed driver hit a car and a flatbed tow truck at 80 mph killing a young woman who was sitting in her car waiting for the driver to hook her car up... it looked like both cars were blown up, you couldn't even tell if it was one car or a couple, just pieces everywhere and a bunch of big chunks... That guy also survived with minor injuries... several times I've followed drunks reporting them and trying to warn other drivers... never once did authorities arrive and the drunks either ran off the road or went home... one guy ran up on his own lawn... he also drove like five miles on a flaming tireless rim which eventually broke off with most of the brake and steering gear... continued on anyway... I followed that clown for like 20 miles on the highway watching him hit the guardrail like four times and drive off the road several times... I kept hoping he'd hit a bush and get hung up in it or get stuck in a gully or something... multiple times he almost hit other cars and crossed over multiple lanes totally out of control... that was really frustrating because of the length and duration of the whole thing and the absolute lack of authorities getting involved... actually had a 911 operator get pissy with me when I called again to update his location and that his wheel was on fire... 

One of the things that really pisses me off is these buttnuggets always seem to escape with "minor injuries" like cuts and bruises... 

Whatever... just a terrible situation... had to vent.

Update:... Apparently the guy had a .29 BAC and was shouting at the hospital personnel to "give him his privacy" and close the curtains in the ER... killed a child and wants his "privacy"... funny guy.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,597

McGyver said:

I just got home, but earlier my daughter (she's an EMT now) was at a local hospital picking up an elderly patient for transport back to a nursing home when all of a sudden the hospital was swamped with accident victims and police... apparently a drunk driver crashed into a nail salon and killed four people inside and severely injured 9 others... drove all the way through to the back pinning one victim to the rear wall... some of the details are pretty bad... most of the victims were inside the salon... but of course the driver was just fine, treated for cut and bruises.

Theres a Home Depot nearby where that happened and the other day I went there to find out about renting a post hole digging machine and I was waiting for the traffic light and noticed there was nail salon there (most of the stores there are like performance auto parts, tile installation, cabinetry shops, stuff like that... so aside from a couple of take out places I was surprised there'd be a nail salon there... it's weird because I never noticed the place... 

I really hate drunk drivers... I've been hit twice (on a bike) by what I suspected were drunk drivers and had one crash right in front of my house, partially on my lawn (flipped her SUV)... a couple of years ago I came across an accident on the highway by my house where a totally blitzed driver hit a car and a flatbed tow truck at 80 mph killing a young woman who was sitting in her car waiting for the driver to hook her car up... it looked like both cars were blown up, you couldn't even tell if it was one car or a couple, just pieces everywhere and a bunch of big chunks... That guy also survived with minor injuries... several times I've followed drunks reporting them and trying to warn other drivers... never once did authorities arrive and the drunks either ran off the road or went home... one guy ran up on his own lawn... he also drove like five miles on a flaming tireless rim which eventually broke off with most of the brake and steering gear... continued on anyway... I followed that clown for like 20 miles on the highway watching him hit the guardrail like four times and drive off the road several times... I kept hoping he'd hit a bush and get hung up in it or get stuck in a gully or something... multiple times he almost hit other cars and crossed over multiple lanes totally out of control... that was really frustrating because of the length and duration of the whole thing and the absolute lack of authorities getting involved... actually had a 911 operator get pissy with me when I called again to update his location and that his wheel was on fire... 

One of the things that really pisses me off is these buttnuggets always seem to escape with "minor injuries" like cuts and bruises... 

Whatever... just a terrible situation... had to vent.

Gruesome and sad. Wrote a fiction book about a fatal car crash, but my book Shattered (non-fiction) is about a real car crash. It was early morning, but that head-on collision (she was on my side of the road) totalled my brand new Trans AM, with less than 3K miles on it, and literally ruined my life. Unfortunately I was not wearing a seatbelt, but at least I survived , and so did the other driver, without a scratch. Drunk drivers often survive fatal accidents and the odds are in their favor that they will survive when passsengers will not, because the alcohol actually inhibits crtain stress chemicals that accelerate fatalities. Even Traumatic brain injuries, have a reduced rate of mortality if a person has ethanol in their system. Alo when sober people tense up, bracing for a crash it actually increases the risk of injury. It's too bad it wasn't the other way around.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,766
    edited June 29

frank0314 said:

It never use to get above 90 in the dead of summer on the hottest day of the year. It's barely summer and we're getting 100's on a reg basis now. We're lucky if we get snow 1 week out of the year maybe accumulating to 6 inches when for 4 decade we were measuring dozens of feet a year and it snowed from late Oct to mid to late March. Temps were usually between 5-10F and in the -0F with the windchill most of the winter. Just 10 yrs ago we had record lows with the windchill in the -40F's. We don't even get cold enough now to snow until late Feb. I feel like I'm living in Texas or California again as far as the winters go. Don't get me wrong, my body appreciates the warmer temps.

...we've been fortunate so far with highs in the 7os and a few in the 80s, but that is about to change next week with highs (so far) forecast in the mid 90s. Mid July into early August is usually our hottest time of the year.  Three years ago we had what was referred to as a "heat dome" event which sent temperatures soaring to Phoenix Arizona levels for a few days.(we topped out at 116ª  significantly higher than our old all time record  of 107° back in 1942 that was  tied in 1981 (that weekend we had consecutive highs of 108°, 112°, and 116° (Lyrron British Columbia recorded an al ltime high of 121° that same summer).

The hottest I remember befor that since I moved here was 106° back in 2009.

BTW this was the actual air temperature before humidity (or lack therof) is figured in.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

I hear those noisy bugs I associate with Summer in Nc. I remember when I was a youngster living in southern Nc hearing those bugs in the summer.

IMG_2308.png
    1170 x 2532 - 4M
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    474 x 355 - 37K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,669

My 4 terabyte hard drive is developing bad sectors.  Time to buy a new drive.  I seem to buy a new SATA hard drive every few years or so.

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Mischief managed;  Breakfast out with my symphony buddy.  Mmmm... food not prepared by me.  Such a treat.yes  Also, made it to a proper grocery store and got a heavy load of groceries; potatoes, onions, cooking oil, bread, eggs, & other bulky items.  I couldn't find my favorite cereal (Wheaties) and had two isles of people helping me look.  I gave up, but a few isles later one couple passed me again and said they found the Wheaties.  So, I doubled back and found them too, hidden amongst the sugar coated, glycemic overload cereals.  A couple years ago I was looking for Wheaties and asked a store helper.  He said, "Oh, that's old people cereal, we probably don't carry it."frown  Not sure if I should have been angry for being dismissed as "old", or flattered that he didn't recognize me as "old".indecision

I found myself quite pleased when my brother's oldest son started college. We were all down there with him at "Mizzou" or whatever they call it. And we did go into one of the dining areas on campus. The stoner who worked there asked if I wanted the breaded chicken or grilled chicken. I chose the grilled chicken. He then determined I was a freshman student on the grounds that "only freshmen order the grilled chicken". I was just pleased that he thought I might be young enough to be a new student there. I don't know.

Anyway, maybe you could have told that store helper Wheaties are not for old people, but are in fact for "big boys". Then as you walked out of the store with Wheaties in hand, you could turn and say to him, "now go tell your momma.... what the big boys eat".

This is the last time in June 2024 I will be going to church.

I have this new rule that if it is after 6 am and I have to visit the bathroom, I go to the kitchen after the bathroom.  That way I don't go back to sleep.

McGyver said:

I followed that clown for like 20 miles on the highway watching him hit the guardrail like four times and drive off the road several times... I kept hoping he'd hit a bush and get hung up in it or get stuck in a gully or something... multiple times he almost hit other cars and crossed over multiple lanes totally out of control... that was really frustrating because of the length and duration of the whole thing and the absolute lack of authorities getting involved... actually had a 911 operator get pissy with me when I called again to update his location and that his wheel was on fire... 

I did not observe any issues quite that intense last night. But there were two lanes of traffic on ye ol' Route 29 South in the Great State of Missouri (where we have a great girls' football/soccer team) and this is how people forget what the original topic was. And there were two lanes of traffic but they would soon merge together into one lane. The traffic in the left lane is supposed to merge into the right lane. And I did notice behind me, there was an SUV in the left lane and another one in the right lane. I was in front, close to where the traffic was already down to one lane. As the two vehicles behind me would soon be down to one lane, it became obvious there would be a problem with both of them being right beside each other.

One might think either one of these guys could slow down, and then they wouldn't be right beside each other, and then the vehicle on the left could get in the right lane while there was still time. But apparently slowing down is just not what people do here. When there's about to be a collision, instead of slowing down you just blow your horn until the problem ends one way or another. I don't know which one was blowing the horn. I don't even think they were blowing the horn at each other. I really think they were blowing the horn at me, the little car in front of them that was driving at exactly the speed limit. Because that's the real problem here. If I would just go much faster, then either one of them or both of them could drive much faster to pass the vehicle beside them and not have to deal with slowing down, because slowing down is stupid.

Meanwhile my car had the cruise control set, and refused to go faster. Because of some stupid technology like a radar detecting the truck in front of us and causing the computer to keep the car at a safe distance behind the truck. And nobody programmed the computer to go faster if it detected the sound of a horn behind it. Both SUVs continued on, one in the remaining lane and the other in the median beside the lane because giving up is not an option. I did assume manual control of the car, and moved faster, getting closer to the truck in front of me. And I don't know who won but one of the SUVs managed to pass the other in the new space created. Upon resuming cruise control, my car returned to the safe distance behind the truck in front of me, and both SUVs went on their way.

Just wondering if this is real.  There are a bunch of people on facebook marketplace selling discounted stamps.  How do I know if it is true or too good to be true?

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,162

Sfariah D said:

Just wondering if this is real.  There are a bunch of people on facebook marketplace selling discounted stamps.  How do I know if it is true or too good to be true?

It's a scam. The Post Office doesn't discount stamps. 

I think somebody last night snuck a fry into my aquarium.  Not a potato fry but a fish fry.

my suspect is either Jane or Wanda as they are female platies.  Thor might have helped?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055

Complaint: Hot as July  here...how is it there?

Noncomplaint: Not dead, just in Stealth Mode™ (waves)

It is wet outside.  I decided not to water my plants today.  Maybe the outdoor wetness can help my plants.