The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

18910111214»

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,142

TJohn said:

Complaint: Hot as July  here...how is it there?

Noncomplaint: Not dead, just in Stealth Mode™ (waves)

Waves back! 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,773

...Happy Canada Day

• Complaint: The South Dakota Highway Department is resurfacing a huge stretch of US Highway 85, but has only gotten to the 'lay down gravel' stage, and without any enforced lower speed limits for the stretch (in fact only one speed limit sign of any kind in each direction, posting it as 40 MPH instead of 70). Cue the huge 18-wheelers zooming down the road at 65 and kicking up huge clouds of very large gravel chunks that immediately coated everyone coming in the opposite direction. Two cracks, two pinhole chips, one shallow chip, and I feel lucky for getting away with only that.

Non-complaint: North Dakota is pretty this time of year. That makes 49 out of 50 states visited.

Sfariah D said:

I think somebody last night snuck a fry into my aquarium.  Not a potato fry but a fish fry.

...a Milwaukee Fish Fry?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,901

kyoto kid said:

Sfariah D said:

I think somebody last night snuck a fry into my aquarium.  Not a potato fry but a fish fry.

...a Milwaukee Fish Fry?

No this kind.  Not at all edible.

IMG_2263.jpeg
    604 x 452 - 34K
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,636

Blando Calrissian said:

Complaint: The South Dakota Highway Department is resurfacing a huge stretch of US Highway 85, but has only gotten to the 'lay down gravel' stage, and without any enforced lower speed limits for the stretch (in fact only one speed limit sign of any kind in each direction, posting it as 40 MPH instead of 70). Cue the huge 18-wheelers zooming down the road at 65 and kicking up huge clouds of very large gravel chunks that immediately coated everyone coming in the opposite direction. Two cracks, two pinhole chips, one shallow chip, and I feel lucky for getting away with only that.

Non-complaint: North Dakota is pretty this time of year. That makes 49 out of 50 states visited.

I was told by the auto dealership that if my windshield ever has to be replaced, it will cost $1500. Their excuse for that is something about having to recalibrate the camera behind the windshield.

I also happen to know from another source that recalibrating one of those cameras requires high technology equipment that looks like a Nerf football with a string attached to it.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,337
    kyoto kid said:

...Happy Canada Day

I thought Canada was always happy.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,328
    edited July 1

Non-complaint:  An unexpected mini-adventure with perks!smiley  A friend called up this morning and invited me to go grocery shopping uptown with her.  It's just a 10 mile trip into Jamestown from the east, but then we turned it into a lunch event for her, myself, and her adult son, and drove up the west side to the north end of Chautauqua Lake, near Mayville.  Nice trip along the lake, and stopped at a great little country type restaurant.  Wonderful burgers!  AND on the way back down the east side of the narrow, 22 mile long lake we stopped at the little cheese shop near Dewittville, where I was finally able to get some proper Blue Cheese.heart  I picked up a half-pound of Danish Blue, and a quarter pound of English Blueberry White Stilton.  for a total of just $12.yes  I'd been trying to get some real imported Blue for the last several years but because of COVID shipping issues the little old lady who runs the one person shop, couldn't get it or if she did get it, it was gone by time I made it to the shop.  Regardless, I now have enough yummy blue cheese to placate my hankerin' at least for this year.  I've divided the big cheese chunks into small plastic containers, and licked my fingers and the knife afterwards.smiley  I'll take some crackers and cheese to a 4th of July gathering on Thursday.  Wheee..., cheesy fingers.yes

ChautauquaCounty.png
    1204 x 722 - 2M
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited July 2

richardandtracy said:

kyoto kid said:

...Happy Canada Day

I thought Canada was always happy.

...well there were those two times when the Vancouver Canucks lost match #7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. First in 1994 (to the New York Rangers) and again in 2011 (to the Boston Bruins)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited July 2

Complaint:  Mind wandering;  I have a few rules for daily survival in old age.  1) don't rush, 2) pay attention 3) pick up your feet, ...  and a few others.  Today I broke #2.  While fixing my breakfast this morning, I put my cup of water into the microwave and heated it while I was pouring my Wheaties cereal into a bowl.  Water's still heating so I got out my spoon, grabbed the Folgers instant coffee and the jar of powdered creamer, and made ready for the hot water.  "Ding", water's done.  So, I grab the cup and move it to the counter, then while watching the neighbor mow his lawn, I spooned out a nicely rounded spoonful of coffee granules and dumped it into my dry cereal.frown  Five minutes later after picking out and shaking the dry cereal flakes one-by-one until only the coffee granules were left in the bottom of the bowl, I poured the coffee grains into the now tepid water and reheated it.(*sigh*)  Yeah, yeah, I could have tossed the cereal and coffee away but I hate wasting food, and neither are cheap anymore.  I could also have just poured in my milk and tried a new experience of iced-coffee flavored Wheaties but I didn't feel experimental or adventurous today.indecision  Moreover, the tedium was appropriate punishment,  I think I learned my lesson.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,854

LeatherGryphon said:

I have a few rules for daily survival in old age.  1) don't rush, 2) pay attention 3) pick up your feet, ...  

If only I could get my mom to follow those rules...

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,669
    edited July 2

second hard drive stopped working before I had a chance to copy my new/recent Daz Studio scene files.  I still have the old scene files though.

edit: I think the USB hub is corrupting the hard drive sectors somehow.  The drive seems to work when I use another port on the USB hub.

Post edited by starionwolf on

Saw dad today.  We went to see Inside Out 2!  It was good.

Sfariah D said:

So, you're sayin' that you went from outside in, to see inside out?indecision 

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

So, you're sayin' that you went from outside in, to see inside out?indecision 

Yep!  LOL!

I just put some TetraMin flakes into my aquarium as I just grabbed it.  I wanted to take this picture in the attachment.  However, the platies saw I grabbed it and started to beg.  I put the flakes into their water and they started to gobble it up.  It is like they think the flakes are food?

complaint;  I can't read the label without wearing my glasses.

non-compliant;  my platies are doing well and made babies.

complaint; if they keep the baby making business up I need a bigger tank.

non-compliant; someone is giving me a bigger tank this Sunday.

IMG_2343.jpeg
    480 x 640 - 117K

..well  that sounds like it ended well.

Speaking of "ends" (as in weekend),  looks like out "heat shield" is about to melt away as it is forecast to be near 100° on Friday then above that Saturday, into Monday and possibly even Tuesday (they keep revising it).  After that it will "cool down" into the upper 80s.

Ah well the  mild summer was nice while it lasted.  At least I got my fans working again.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,636

By now, the entire sky is on the ground. I had to turn off the notifications from the weather app because there were so many flood warnings it was preventing people from sleeping, and scaring people when they were awake. AccuWeather has a terrifying warning sound. Things were fine for a few days but then the app managed to sneak a few more notifications through because we only turned off regular warnings but not these super warnings. So they managed to do notifications for "flash flood warnings" because that's more super bad than just a "flood warning" and therefore a different notification category.

There are mushrooms growing in the yard now. I don't think they're portabellos.

At this point we should probably just rip out the remaining pieces of sky and build a whole new one on top of sub sky.  I heard our neighbor say something about doing that with a floor so I assume skies work the same way. Actually he said he would have to remove the subfloor too. How many layers does a floor have? 

I'm going to explore our new mushroom kingdom and see if there are any turtles or little goombas out there.

edited 6:52AM

...well Happy Fourth for those in The States. 

Stay safe and for those in wildfire prone areas of the west and southwest, let the professionals handle the pyrotechnic displays.

Post edited by kyoto kid at

...just returned from the pyrotechnic display downtown was a bigger show than past years, pretty impressive and well choreographed ending in a rousing loud finale.  Yeah nothing like the Macy's display in New York but almost as long..  Everything was launched from a barge in the middle of the Willamette river so no risk of starting any fires. 

A few of the suburbs opted for drone shows instead which I find sort of boring.  Yeah I'm old school. Like my character Leela, give me "big bada-booms" and lots of pretty colours 

The city banned personal fireworks this year but it seems to have pretty much ibeen gnored and un-enforced (still hearing them going off and its just past midnight here). There was a report tonight of an errant firework landed in a fir tree and started a fire 20' up which required fire department intervention.

Feel sad for all the animals and as usual, I expect to see a fair number of missing dog and cat notices on tomorrow's Portland  Reddit stream.

I wanted to watch the fireworks on tv but I couldn't find my remote.

This morning I found my remote in my satchel. Why it was in there?  I don't know.  I don't remember putting it in there.