The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,328
    edited June 18

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., it's another laundry day.  6 mile bus trip to the laundromat, breakfast at BurgerKing, visit to CVS drugstore, perhaps a few groceries from a real supermarket.  Such excitment.yes

Complaint:  It's humid today(86%), and the temperature will get near 90F.  Laundromat is un-airconditioned.no

Non-complaint:  I forced myself to go through my clothes piles and found a pair of short pants that fit. (40 instead of 46 waist).smiley

Complaint:  So, now I'm going to look like an old man with a cane, in shorts & polo shirt, with pasty white legs, and a bald head covered by a mesh cowboy style sun-hat.  Ah, for the old days, last century, when I was a nearly naked, bronzed, bushyhaired beast on a motorcycle.  But finally I can get my only fitting pair of Levi jeans washed 'till needed again in the Fall.  (No need to wash jeans until they're crusty enough to stand on their own.)wink

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,652

Complaint: My knee looks like a balloon and absolutely throbbing beyond belief and my orthopedic can't get me in until the 9th but all he's gonna be able to do is give me another cortisone shot which barely works. He needs an MRI which I currently can't get because my spinal cord stimulator isn't MRI compatible. I go to teh Pain Clinic Thursday to talk about that cause they also need one for my back to see if I need another spinal fusion.

Complaint 2: Temp is gonna really suck today and the air-conditioner is gonna be running overtime which means $$$$ that noone seems to have these days except the utility companies who just raised all their rates. With the heat index it's going to get to the low 100F's. ATM it's 9:07 am and 87F with 75% humidity so hope the humidity stays and goes down.We are supposed to be up over 100F all week. Kinda hot for living in North Eastern US. I'd expect those temps in Florida and Texas but we've been getting like this over the last 5-6 yrs.

Non-Complaint: more question, I have a laptop that needs a new hard drive and keyboard. I pulled it apart and it has a m.2 slot and an HDD. Only an HDD was put in it when it was built for my son. Question is, would it be worth putting in a small m.2 for the OS and then use the HDD/SSD for my apps and files? It's probably only going to run Photoshop, Illustrator, and our laser burner software Lightburn and then all the saved files associated with those apps.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,337

Best to read the entire USC thread from beginning of June. That way it's reduced by one level of remove. The person reporting most problems was daveso.

Specifics require a functional short term memory.

What was I talking about?

Regards,

Richard

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,341

richardandtracy said:

Best to read the entire USC thread from beginning of June. That way it's reduced by one level of remove. The person reporting most problems was daveso.

Specifics require a functional short term memory.

What was I talking about?

Regards,

Richard

Personally i passed on it because from reading the thread I couldn't see any real differences, except the size. Its now a DO so at some time will go on a big discount, it may then be worth it. And just because it appears that only 1 person was reporting problems it doesn't mean only one was having problems.

Also its got to have a certain amount of complication to it otherwise there wouldn't a be a market for a paid for guide.

edited June 18

Mischief Managed:  Laundry day over.  No complications.  Brought half of my BurgerKing breakfast home for lunch. yes   Now showered, and cooling down with iced tea, and A/C and fan on high.

Non-complaint:  My Social Security deposit was available in my account this morning.  One day early!  (Normal day is third Wednesday) Apparently tomorrow is some sort of a holiday.indecision

Complaint:  Most of that excess money has been moved to the needed places and is gone again already. frown

Non-complaint:  But it's only 4 weeks and one day, instead of 5 weeks, 'till the next SS deposit.yes  I may not have a lot of money, but I have no outstanding debt.yes  Which makes me richer than a lot of millionaires.cheeky

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,508
    edited June 18

LeatherGryphon said:

[ snip ]

Non-complaint:  My Social Security deposit was available in my account this morning.  One day early!  (Normal day is third Wednesday) Apparently tomorrow is some sort of a holiday.indecision

Yes, tomorrow is the new federal holiday Juneteenth National Independence Day

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,142

Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

[ snip ]

I'm just thinking it's a stupid name...

13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th...Juneth?   Great cause, stupid name.  There must be something about that name that I'm missing.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,901

I think I want to go to bed soon.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,532

DanaTA said:

13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th...Juneth?   Great cause, stupid name.  There must be something about that name that I'm missing.

Well, one thing you're missing is that the name isn't "Juneth". The date of Juneteeth is June 19th, or "june nine teenth". Say that enough times, and the "nine" will gradually fall away. "June" and "Nine" also rhyme, so "Juneteenth" subtly includes both the month and date of the holiday.

Gordig said:

DanaTA said:

Well, one thing you're missing is that the name isn't "Juneth". The date of Juneteeth is June 19th, or "june nine teenth". Say that enough times, and the "nine" will gradually fall away. "June" and "Nine" also rhyme, so "Juneteenth" subtly includes both the month and date of the holiday.

The th is the abreviation, in all the other examples, of "teenth".  I tried saying that fast several times...the nine never vanished, or became tongue twisting.  Noon rhymes with June, not Nine. indecision 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,532

DanaTA said:

Gordig said:

DanaTA said:

The th is the abreviation, in all the other examples, of "teenth".

What? If you remove the "th" after 13, it's still "thirteen". The "th" indicates that it's an ordinal number, not an abbreviation. Nineteen days into a month, you have reached the nineteenth day.

I tried saying that fast several times...the nine never vanished, or became tongue twisting.  Noon rhymes with June, not Nine. indecision 

The "nine" is the weakest syllable in the word, and rhymes can be more flexible than that.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,773
    edited June 19

...at least it's not "Juneteeth".

Some think the Ides of March is ominous, Juneteeth is downright scary.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,602
    edited June 19

Now hummingbirds are falling from the sky. And I am so sleep deprived I feel the sky is crumbling. If only the sjy were made of oreo  cookies.

My first hummingbird rescue was in 2006. I had to hand feed it nectar. Ithought it would be my last resue and I am still crossing my fingers that will hold true. But I have my doubts. And I cling to hoes that I am wrong.

After the nose dive I checked the camera and found his sibling dead. DOD probably two weeks ago based on size and feathers. This hummingbird is so afraid to leave the nest and that often happens when one bird outlives a sibling. So here is whats been happening on Day 37, 37 days after Little Momma laid her first egg.

1. Camara's show Humming bird upside down 1.5 hours clinging . . . fearing the nose dive.

2. The blur is he/she fallimg while a stray cat stalks nearby. I chase off the cat and take it inside for the night on the 16th after two falls. Then return he/she to its nest (which was upside down). Little Momma built it with spider web so not sure how something so stron collapsed.

3. At 10.35 I discover him/her missing, nose dived on the concrete below.

4. So at 11.12pm  June 16th, I make him/her a box to fall in. And put a folded doggie potty pad on the bottom.The box has square holes on all sides. Ooops.

5 June 17th He/Shes caught by  a hole so I put folded paper towels taped arount all sides.

The mom is a trooper. Every day since she built the nest I capture 174 videos per day. Ironiacally the day I missed was their birth on the 18 of May. This little one now refuses to fledge, but Mom comes every 15 minutes to feed him depite me rebuilding her habitat 8 times. I documented six months of a feral cat raising and training kittens and I doon't know how but i swear these critters communicate just like us. Thru body language and sounds but mostly a silent code like an sos made of eye blinks. Anyway in between all of this been finishing the interior of a 14x6 shed and I am so exhausted. 5am to 12 midnight or more. I thought retiirement meant less hours. So all my dreams and personal goals get shoved aside year after year, because the sky is truly falling and someone has to clean up the debris. Gotta go watch Trouble the hummingbird baby. Sh/he is 31 days old and refuses to fledge probably traumatized from the falls.

Day37 June16th Falls to ground.JPG
    1821 x 1306 - 175K
    Day37 June16th Falls to ground2.JPG
    1487 x 1499 - 156K
    Day37 June16th Falls to ground3 picking up.JPG
    1902 x 1230 - 246K
    Day37 June16th Falls to ground4 picking up.JPG
    1939 x 1097 - 188K
    Day37 June16th Falls to ground5 again1.JPG
    1980 x 1164 - 187K
    Day37 June16th Falls to ground6 again1.JPG
    1972 x 1132 - 171K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on

Gordig said:

DanaTA said:

Gordig said:

DanaTA said:

The th is the abreviation, in all the other examples, of "teenth".

What? If you remove the "th" after 13, it's still "thirteen". The "th" indicates that it's an ordinal number, not an abbreviation. Nineteen days into a month, you have reached the nineteenth day.

I tried saying that fast several times...the nine never vanished, or became tongue twisting.  Noon rhymes with June, not Nine. indecision 

The "nine" is the weakest syllable in the word, and rhymes can be more flexible than that.

You are right...I relent. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,636

DanaTA said:

Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

[ snip ]

I think there is something you're missing. But I don't want to get the censors all riled up. At least not tonight. Maybe call it Emancipation Day?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,850
    edited June 19

Non-complaint; Nice weather promised for the next 5 days, ie. for the mid-summer festivities, daytime temperatures between 18-20C (64-72F) and no rain.

Complaint; soon the days start getting shorter... frown

LoD.PNG
    580 x 93 - 6K
    Post edited by PerttiA on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055

I don't care what day it is. What year is it?

...depends on the calendar you use.

TJohn said:

I don't care what day it is. What year is it?

My clock says it is is June 19, 2024. 

I suspect that it doesn't say anything.  You have to read it. indecision

Although I once had a clock that had no display but would talk when you pressed the gold button on the top of the little pyramid.yes 

LeatherGryphon said:

I suspect that it doesn't say anything.  You have to read it. indecision

Although I once had a clock that had no display but would talk when you pressed the gold button on the top of the little pyramid.yes 

True.  I doubt this clock could talk.

Movie time.  Got a free ticket to a movie tonight.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,636

I've found if you gather together enough pieces of fallen sky, you can build an igloo.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,388

Complaint: The FedEx driver left a 200 US set of flight pedals Next to my garbage can. At first, I was mad and tried to call them. Of course, there are no humans. The I thought. After calming down, I felt that this person was either an idiot or a mad genius. How many people would look at that box and feel it is trash? No need to steal it.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,602

broken heartcrying

2.42.46A am.JPG
    1941 x 1091 - 156K
    2.42.46B am.JPG
    1945 x 1113 - 135K
    2.42.46C am.JPG
    1962 x 1205 - 160K
    2.42.46D am.JPG
    1898 x 1095 - 128K
    2.42.46E Momma 5.30 am.JPG
    1962 x 1155 - 206K
    2.42.46F searching no luck.JPG
    1935 x 1171 - 323K
    2.42.46G Momma very two minutes.JPG
    1955 x 1207 - 369K
    edited June 21

Non-complaint:  Liquid snow fell from the sky here last night.  Cooled things off a bit.  Was able to turn the A/C off all night.

Complaint:  A/C has been turned back on since 7:00 this morning.

Non-complaint:  Yay, my old HP computer with the funky "Restore" partition is working again and now has a properly sized "Restore" partition, and the Microsoft update #...4441 has been properly installed.yes

Complaint:  I gave up trying to figure out how to get the right bits into the empty partition I created a few days ago.  So, I just started from scratch and completely reinstalled Win10-Pro.blush  But in the process, despite saving all my files on the separate internal backup disk, I wiped that disk too.frown  Not a big loss though, That data was just one set of multple backup copies of my files.  I'll live.  Probably.indecision  Now I get the fun of re-adding all my favorite programs and tweaks.indecision

...complaint. supposed to reach 92° today and wouldn't you know it my dual window fans stopped working and the warrantee expired .70$ down the drain The  fuse is fine as the panel lights up when I turn it the unit on, just that the fans refuse to turn. .The only thing I can think of is something in the thermostat control frotzed which I have no idea how to fix or bypass.  Going to be an unbearable summer as I cannot afforded a new one and definitely can't afford the power bill for an air conditioner even though the local housing authority is giving them away.

I liked those fans as during the day I would set them to "exhaust mode) to blow the heat our and at night, reverse them to bring cool air in. They were very "easy" on the power bill as well.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,039

Complaint... Ran my thumb into a table saw blade earlier this afternoon... I don't recommend doing this... now I have a 1/8 inch (3.1 mm) slot in my thumb about 3/16" deep... plus a second smaller notch... I went to the Urgent Care place nearby... it was pretty quick, but still don't recommend these kind of digit modifications.

I'm wondering if this is one of the reasons my daughter became an EMT... Well, she drove me there in her car not the ambulance... but I was going "Wooo-Wooo-Woooo", so it was sort of like it was an ambulance... 

The Lidocaine seems to have worn off and now my thumb feels pretty crappy... I'd show y'all a picture, but it's probably a TOS gory image violation or something... it's actually interesting from a technical standpoint... how ragged the opening was and how the gelatinous material filled the gap... the weird thing is how quickly the wound gelled and the coagulated blood stopped the bleeding... well, the next couple of days are gonna suck productivity-wise...

I'm really pissed at myself because I made a stupid lazy mistake I've taught others not to do... technically several... Working in rush, was dripping sweat, didn't lower the blade height after a previous cut... Booo.

Also very annoyed at my neighbor who is the reason I was cutting the strips of which I did... that's a whole fiasco that I'm not going to get into at the moment, but it's really crappy and I'm extremely pissed off over a situation that butt nugget created.

kyoto kid said:

...complaint. supposed to reach 92° today and wouldn't you know it my dual window fans stopped working and the warrantee expired .70$ down the drain The  fuse is fine as the panel lights up when I turn it the unit on, just that the fans refuse to turn. .The only thing I can think of is something in the thermostat control frotzed which I have no idea how to fix or bypass.  Going to be an unbearable summer as I cannot afforded a new one and definitely can't afford the power bill for an air conditioner even though the local housing authority is giving them away.

I liked those fans as during the day I would set them to "exhaust mode) to blow the heat our and at night, reverse them to bring cool air in. They were very "easy" on the power bill as well.

Can you manually turn the blades?... if they are frozen the bearings probably seized... that's not uncommon with energy efficient fans where you have a very small motor that eventually overheats... most modern consumer fans don't have any ports to lubricate the bearings. If tge blades rotate, maybe look and see if there's a How-2 on bypassing the thermostat... I've done it before and it's not that hard (technically... I know you have limited dexterity because of joint problems)... but you seem pretty knowledgeable and mechanically experienced.

Either way, sorry to hear about that... it sucks that they chose now to die.

ArtAngel said:

broken heartcrying

That sucks... sorry for your loss.