The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• TriCounterTriCounter Posts: 497

Complaint: I've got this great idea to keep track of all your usernames and passwords.....

At the moment computers, the internet etc.. is dead to me and I yearn for the 80's with all my soul!!!!

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,636

According to my mom, there was a wasp in the house. And not only did one of the cats catch the wasp, but it ate the wasp. Okay.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,602

NylonGirl said:

According to my mom, there was a wasp in the house. And not only did one of the cats catch the wasp, but it ate the wasp. Okay.

This is why cats rule. They can also eat black widows with no repercussions ;surprise. Cats are so underrated!

McGyver said:

Sfariah D said:

I am having difficulty finding something to get with my DAZ+ coupon but the filters aren't working right.

Oh dear my computer battery is low which means I need to find the charger.

Maybe they are clogged... you should change your filters every three months and make sure they are facing the proper direction with the airflow or they won't filter efficiently.

So with this whole airflow thing, are we definitely not going to try making the blower go in reverse?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,773

...I know it's ealry, but...

...The Wasps Are Falling Complaint Thread. 

• Complaint: it's that time of year when the sky is literally falling, in the form of rather aggressive hailstorms that have been pelting us with ice that varies in size from "marbles" to "baseballs."

For some reason (almost certainly explainable by science, but I am too lazy to look up), the hail seems to come at the tail end of thunderstorms, so just when you think everything is over and the danger has passed, here comes the plop plop thud THUD THONK THONK of the hail, and you try to remember where you parked your car, and whether the branches above it will offer any protection.

If you get hit in the first hailstorm in any given year, you're actually kinda lucky! All of the shops are available to see you right away! By the fourth or fifth hailstorm, though, they're fully booked up with repair jobs from storms 1-3 and the wait time is weeks or even months. Not great if you need a windshield!

So I'm watching the skies, waiting and hoping.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,328
    edited June 16

Mind the weather and, If possible, park in the middle floors of a parking garage and take an Uber home.enlightened  Momentarily expensive insurance, but cheaper than a windshield, dent removal, paint job, new car, or building a garage.yes

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,388

ArtAngel said:

NylonGirl said:

This is why cats rule. They can also eat black widows with no repercussions ;surprise. Cats are so underrated!

Strange Factoid: An average person eats 52 spiders in their sleep each year. It might have been a Black Widow in that mix at one time or another. Venom is not a poison but a toxin absorbed through the digestive system. Now think about how easily you can get a bite on your Tonuge while sleeping from any spider.  

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,142

AgitatedRiot said:

ArtAngel said:

NylonGirl said:

Strange Factoid: An average person eats 52 spiders in their sleep each year. It might have been a Black Widow in that mix at one time or another. Venom is not a poison but a toxin absorbed through the digestive system. Now think about how easily you can get a bite on your Tonuge while sleeping from any spider.  

Not at all a fact, but rather a proof that people belive many things, even outlandish ones, because they read it online.  https://www.britannica.com/story/do-we-really-swallow-spiders-in-our-sleep 

Blando Calrissian said:

Complaint: it's that time of year when the sky is literally falling, in the form of rather aggressive hailstorms that have been pelting us with ice that varies in size from "marbles" to "baseballs."

For some reason (almost certainly explainable by science, but I am too lazy to look up), the hail seems to come at the tail end of thunderstorms, so just when you think everything is over and the danger has passed, here comes the plop plop thud THUD THONK THONK of the hail, and you try to remember where you parked your car, and whether the branches above it will offer any protection.

If you get hit in the first hailstorm in any given year, you're actually kinda lucky! All of the shops are available to see you right away! By the fourth or fifth hailstorm, though, they're fully booked up with repair jobs from storms 1-3 and the wait time is weeks or even months. Not great if you need a windshield!

So I'm watching the skies, waiting and hoping.

"Thunder Hail"

DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

ArtAngel said:

NylonGirl said:

Not at all a fact, but rather a proof that people belive many things, even outlandish ones, because they read it online.  https://www.britannica.com/story/do-we-really-swallow-spiders-in-our-sleep 

Wow, thank you for enlightening me. I fell for this a long time ago. Mawhahaha, Dumb, But falling for that. Yep, back in the '90s, there were no actual regulations for the Internet at that time. I am sure I'm not the only one to fall for something like that. Many weird things are real, and many odd things aren't. Like Bananas Are Berries, The Great Wall of China Is Not Visible from Space.

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

ArtAngel said:

NylonGirl said:

Wow, thank you for enlightening me. I fell for this a long time ago. Mawhahaha, Dumb, But falling for that. Yep, back in the '90s, there were no actual regulations for the Internet at that time. I am sure I'm not the only one to fall for something like that. Many weird things are real, and many odd things aren't. Like Bananas Are Berries, The Great Wall of China Is Not Visible from Space.

Even today, there is a lot of crap out there that people believe, but just isn't true.  It's been said that if someone tells a lie often enough, people will start to believe what he says, even if others point out the falsehood with proof, even scientific proof. 

I think of that every time I I'm watching a YouTube clip with a "know-it-all" on the wrong side of the bench arguing with the judge about jusrisdiction.  Or when I'm standing in line at the voting booth.

DanaTA said:

Even today, there is a lot of crap out there that people believe, but just isn't true.  It's been said that if someone tells a lie often enough, people will start to believe what he says, even if others point out the falsehood with proof, even scientific proof. 

This sucks particularly when one side gets to speak as much as it wants and the other side doesn't get to say anything.

edited June 16

Complaint:  Arghhh..., I'm so frustrated at this process of trying to restore a deleted "WindowsRE" partition.angry So many incomplete, inaccurate, obtuse, obsolete, half-hearted attempts at describing a fix.  No wonder Microsoft didn't create a fix for the broken fix.  Perhaps they can't figure it out either.  Making and marking the partition isn't hard.  Zillions of people have written how to do that.  The hard part is repopulating the empty partition with valid data.  Here's an opportunity for AI to shine, because there doesn't seem be any humans stepping up to the plate.  At least with AI you'd be able to argue without it getting snippy and quitting on you when you try to explain why the answer it gave you was insufficient or wrong.indecision

I remember the days before the Internet when you had to look in the library's card catalog to even get an idea where to look on the bookshelves and then you had to determine if the book was available and even relevant much less helpful.  The Internet has helped our plight, but now there is so much junk out there that we're back in the dark ages again.frown

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh..., I'm so frustrated at this process of trying to restore a deleted "WindowsRE" partition.angry So many incomplete, inaccurate, obtuse, obsolete, half-hearted attempts at describing a fix.  No wonder Microsoft didn't create a fix for the broken fix.  Perhaps they can't figure it out either.  Making and marking the partition isn't hard.  Zillions of people have written how to do that.  The hard part is repopulating the empty partition with valid data.  Here's an opportunity for AI to shine, because there doesn't seem be any humans stepping up to the plate.  At least with AI you'd be able to argue without it getting snippy and quitting on you when you try to explain why the answer it gave you was insufficient or wrong.indecision

I remember the days before the Internet when you had to look in the library's card catalog to even get an idea where to look on the bookshelves and then you had to determine if the book was available and even relevant much less helpful.  The Internet has helped our plight, but now there is so much junk out there that we're back in the dark ages again.frown

I once asked a library worker if they had a card catalog. She said they did not, but she had seen one before. I didn't bother to ask her if she had heard of the Dewey Decimal System.

Anyway, I think it might be necessary to change a BIOS setting to get Windows to work. There was some time when Windows tried to make the BIOS only functional with Windows and one had to change a BIOS setting to install Linux. Maybe that same BIOS setting needs to be set to reinstall Windows. UEFI?

edited June 16

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh..., I'm so frustrated at this process of trying to restore a deleted "WindowsRE" partition.angry[snip] ...

[snip]

Anyway, I think it might be necessary to change a BIOS setting to get Windows to work. There was some time when Windows tried to make the BIOS only functional with Windows and one had to change a BIOS setting to install Linux. Maybe that same BIOS setting needs to be set to reinstall Windows. UEFI?

I don't think that's the problem, but just to check I decided to bring up the BIOS screen on that computer.  Simple, right?  Nope.frown  I've been futzing around here for the last half hour powering on & off, over & over, trying to get it into BIOS mode trying every $%#$@#$#@ "Fbutton", the ESC button, and the DELETE button, but to no avail.  And it's messy, bacause of where the tower is located I have to leave my seat, run around the desk, push the power button, run back to my seat and press a key.  It's an old computer and wasn't fully trained in USB compatability when produced.  Just as I was giving up, and about to throw the damn machine through a window, I realized that the USB connections to my primary keyboard & mouse on my desk work only after Windows starts and do not work during initial boot operationssurprise.   I knew this years ago, but that was years ago.  The machine has been wired into current situation for a couple years using a USB KVM switch for monitor/keyboard/mouse selection.  The machine has PS2 connections for keyboard & mouse which are simpler to manage during the initial stages of booting.  So, I have to use a PS2 keyboard and mouse.frown  As much as I love that computer, I'm still not convinced that I shouldn't throw the machine through a window, but it's time to quit for the day.  Tomorrow I'll have to move all my #@%#$@ storage boxes to get to my big box-o-keyboards to find a #@%@#$@# PS2 keyboard & mouse.  (*sigh*)indecision

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,532

AgitatedRiot said:

The funniest thing about this urban legend is that it implies that spiders are constantly walking into people's open mouths, which really calls their survival instincts into question. "Average" is also a funny word, because that would mean that some people barely swallow spiders in their sleep, while others eat far more than one spider a week. Also, if the average person eats one spider a week, that would mean that ~7 billion spiders a week die from wandering into someone's open mouth.  

edited June 17

Something a little more easy to believe is: "One is never more than 10 feet away from a spider."surprise  I would add the caveat "on land", to cover the rare case when one is naked in the ocean or falling through the air.  Although, exceptions could appear there too.surprise  Lots of spiderish related creatures in the sea, and micro-spiders could be kiting on their webs high in the air.  They're everywhere, they're everywhere.smiley

LeatherGryphon said:

Something a little more easy to believe is: "One is never more than 10 feet away from a spider."surprise  I would add the caveat "on land", to cover the rare case when one is naked in the ocean or falling through the air.  Although, exceptions could appear there too.surprise  Lots of spiderish related creatures in the sea, and micro-spiders could be kiting on their webs high in the air.  They're everywhere, they're everywhere.smiley

I am pretty sure that crabs are arachnids. 

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Not even spider crabs are arachnids. They're all crustaceans, and decapods at that.

Gordig said:

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Not even spider crabs are arachnids. They're all crustaceans, and decapods at that.

Perhaps I was mistaken about the hierarchy.  However, both spiders and crustacians are sub-clades of anthropoda.  Even Horshoe Crabs!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnid 

All we know is they all fell from the sky at the same time.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,901

Strange factoid.  I'm making up 73% of the statistics in this post.  27% of people won't verify if this is true however 100% of the study read this line. (If you didn't read that line, you were dismissed from the study?)

It just rained a little bit but then stopped. 

edited June 17

Complaint:  DS4.22 is in my DIM, but I'm unsure whether I should install it.  Has anyone in here used DAZ Studio v. 4.22?  I thought I read there were a lot of problems, but maybe that was an earlier version, or maybe they've fixed them.

Post edited by DanaTA on

I've been using 4.22 since release, and there have been some major improvements for my purposes. I don't know if I'm just less discerning than other users, or if I just have different needs or something, but personally I've never felt like a new version of DS was worse than the one before it. 

Gordig said:

I've been using 4.22 since release, and there have been some major improvements for my purposes. I don't know if I'm just less discerning than other users, or if I just have different needs or something, but personally I've never felt like a new version of DS was worse than the one before it. 

Thank you for your input! 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,337

It sounds as if the current release 4.22 is relatively slow rendering USC2 compared to the current beta (couple of hours vs a few tens of minutes). I think it also needs the June update of USC2 to work without risking crashing on occasions. I'm using USC2 on DS4.21 and haven't had any crashes (so far - may have jinxed it).

Regards,

Richard

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,773

...4.22 if off limits for me because it uses an Nvidia driver that no longer supports Win7 so it would be back to glacial CPU rendering on only 12 threads of an old 6 core 2.9 GHz Xeon. 

The one saving grace right now is that in W7 Windows WDDM takes up a very small percentage of VRAM instead of a full 1 GB.

richardandtracy said:

It sounds as if the current release 4.22 is relatively slow rendering USC2 compared to the current beta (couple of hours vs a few tens of minutes). I think it also needs the June update of USC2 to work without risking crashing on occasions. I'm using USC2 on DS4.21 and haven't had any crashes (so far - may have jinxed it).

Regards,

Richard

Um, that seems like more a distant relative, such as a fifth-cousin's, step brother-in-law.indecision