Octane Render for Carrara (OR4C) Public Beta now released..

Comments

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701

Hi,

I have installed Octane a few days ago on a single nVidia GeForce GTX 780. But to obtain reasonable rendering speed, I want to add another nVidia Geforce, but this time a new GTX 970. Is it possible to install both cards on the same computer? If so, do you need SLI or extra wires? Thanks.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI :)

is there a simple but indepth tutorial of Octane for Carrara?

There's documentation on the OTOY site,.  under support / faq's / octane renderer

https://docs.otoy.com/#rOctaneRender Universe

you can select carrara from the list of options.

Hope it helps :)

HI Argus :)

I just had a quick look at both, and it looks like the 970 has less cuda cores than the 780,... BUT,...

There's options in the settings panel to set up "out of core" for textures which save you loading those into the graphics ram. so you may not need to get the 970

I'm not sure if both cards can be different , I seem to remember that the had to be the same , but that may have changed,.

As long as you have room, and they both use the same driver,.. maybe ?

See the Otoy site forums for info on multiple cards,. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited January 2016

it can be handy if a small scene that fits on the smaller card, you can speed it up a bit with more cuda cores

otherwise not much difference in fact do not use lesser card

on mine, adds 3 but then scene  has to be under 2GB, is faster if it is I tick if small scene to get it done quicker

Capture.JPG
    560 x 450 - 30K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511

If anyone happens to know.

just out of curiosity, I know it renders Hair, does it render plants?

another is size, I am doing a scene that is 13.5 x 9 @ 300 dpi for print.  Makes that quiet large, since this renders in the video card does it keep the wholeimage in there or render in sections and pass back to the CPU which would mean it could do something so large. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087

not fond of carrara trees, will do them if not full detail mesh miss branches, bogs it down a lot

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145
    pmart868 said:

Hi to All, this is my second post on the Carrara forum today, I purchased Octane Render for Carrara a couple of week ago and must say it has given Cararra new life, I call it my Carrara 9 (hahaha). I purchased the Carrara 8 Training series, (Basic and Advance) from PhilW and I use it as my go-to reference literature. My question... is there a simple but indepth tutorial of Octane for Carrara? I have seen free tutorials for Cinema 4D and they have help me, but Carrara is Carrara.

Good to know you are finding the Basic and Advanced training useful.  I have thought about doing a set on Octane for Carrara as I use it all the time myself. Not sure of numbers and I wanted to ensure that it had gone beyond the beta stage.  I am currently doing a set on animation, but my pc crashed last week and it is looking like I will need a new one, which is delaying me making progress on anything at the moment!

Milo said:

If anyone happens to know.

just out of curiosity, I know it renders Hair, does it render plants?

another is size, I am doing a scene that is 13.5 x 9 @ 300 dpi for print.  Makes that quiet large, since this renders in the video card does it keep the wholeimage in there or render in sections and pass back to the CPU which would mean it could do something so large. 

An image of that size has 10,935,000 pixels and so will take up around 32 MB (3 bytes per pixel, one each for red, green and blue). So it would only take up 1.6% of a 2GB card - I think it us keot on the card, but as you can see, it is easily accommodated.

Yes OR4C renders plants and trees, just be careful if replicating them. Trees already have a level of instancing in them for the leaves, so replicating them multiplies the number of instances and Octane does not currently handle nested replicators in the same way that Carrara handles them and so can produce huge scene files that can crash Octane. There is an option to "flatten" trees which can be useful when using replicators, depending on the balance between how many trees you are replicating and how complex your tree is - keeping the tree simple helps. Don't let it put you off, I have produced nice looking forests that render on my 2GB card.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Sympathies on the PC crash Phil - I had that happen over Christmas. Set me back a good 3 weeks between diagnosing & repairing (no data lost, fortunately - always make sure your backups are up to date!) Gonna be a very lean February as a result, but what the hey, who needs food eh? ;)

Even though it's repaired, I'm still gonna budget for a new one, cos like an old car with a suspicious rattle, I find I no longer trust it!

edited January 2016
    3DAGE said:

There's options in the settings panel to set up "out of core" for textures which save you loading those into the graphics ram. so you may not need to get the 970

I'm not sure if both cards can be different , I seem to remember that the had to be the same , but that may have changed,.

See the Otoy site forums for info on multiple cards,. 

Well, I have already bought the nVidia GTX 970, so I ll just have to install it and live with it. I also have to figure out the out of cores widow. And yes, they say on the OTOY site that you can  have different nVidia cadrs. Thanks for your answers, 3dage and fool.

Post edited by argus1000 on

If I remember correctly, the key thing about using multiple cards is that it is best to have the same graphics memory on each, as if you say mix a 2GB card with a 4GB card, it will only use the first 2GB of the larger card. Of course I may have this wrong...

• 3DAGE said:

HI :)

is there a simple but indepth tutorial of Octane for Carrara?

There's documentation on the OTOY site,.  under support / faq's / octane renderer

https://docs.otoy.com/#rOctaneRender Universe

you can select carrara from the list of options.

Hope it helps :)

Hi 3DAGE, Thanks for the link I will check it out.  :c)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,724

@PhilW - Sorry to hear anout your crash Phil ........ not fun at all!!!

pmart868 said:

Hi to All, this is my second post on the Carrara forum today, I purchased Octane Render for Carrara a couple of week ago and must say it has given Cararra new life, I call it my Carrara 9 (hahaha). I purchased the Carrara 8 Training series, (Basic and Advance) from PhilW and I use it as my go-to reference literature. My question... is there a simple but indepth tutorial of Octane for Carrara? I have seen free tutorials for Cinema 4D and they have help me, but Carrara is Carrara.

Welcome aboard! Feel free to ask questions and for help here, this is a pretty frienly lot!

• PhilW said:
    Milo said:

PhilW said:

Good to know you are finding the Basic and Advanced training useful.  I have thought about doing a set on Octane for Carrara as I use it all the time myself. Not sure of numbers and I wanted to ensure that it had gone beyond the beta stage.  I am currently doing a set on animation, but my pc crashed last week and it is looking like I will need a new one, which is delaying me making progress on anything at the moment!

Hi PhilW, Sorry to hear about your computer and look forward to seeing some of those Octane Renders. Is there a forun/page dedicated to Carrara users animation?

Thank you in advance.  

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited January 2016
    fool said:

it can be handy if a small scene that fits on the smaller card, you can speed it up a bit with more cuda cores

otherwise not much difference in fact do not use lesser card

on mine, adds 3 but then scene  has to be under 2GB, is faster if it is I tick if small scene to get it done quicker

I have the similar setup with  2GB on 760 and 4GB on a 970. With scenes smaller than 2 GB, it runs like what ever.

But in the moment im running a 3500 px * 7000 px image that needs about 30000 s/px. That will take about 1 1/2 days or so...
    It takes about 1.3 GB and the gpu cores are working with 81°C/87°C.

Post edited by EddyMI3D on
  • DustRider said:

@PhilW - Sorry to hear anout your crash Phil ........ not fun at all!!!

pmart868 said:

Welcome aboard! Feel free to ask questions and for help here, this is a pretty frienly lot!

Hi DustRider, Thanks for the invation and will be doing so, thanks again to all for your assistance.

pmart868 said:
    PhilW said:
    Milo said:

PhilW said:

Hi PhilW, Sorry to hear about your computer and look forward to seeing some of those Octane Renders. Is there a forun/page dedicated to Carrara users animation?

Thank you in advance.  

For a specific place for Carrara Animators, you should take a look at the Carrarators site:

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators

HI Eddy :)

Just a quick question about your render,.

I'm curious,. why so many samples,. ?

If I'm working on an image,.I can normally get something good within a few hundred samples 200 -500, but i'll sometimes let it go to a couple of thousand for better quality

Normally,. If I see "issues" with the image,. then it's either a shader issue, or a lighting issue.and i'll stop and fix those.

Although many carrara shaders work well with octane,. there are some instances where it's best to create octane shaders,.

If fact,.. to be honest,. we should only be using octane physically based shaders,..if your rendering with octane,.. to take advantage of the physical based renderer.

the same applies to Luxrender,. or Iray, or whatever else.

Also,. are you using Pathtracing or PMC

edited January 2016
    pmart868 said:

My question... is there a simple but indepth tutorial of Octane for Carrara? 

It would be nice if there was some video tutorials for the Carrara Octane plugin on the OTOY site. While there is some for all the other plugins, there is none for Carrara. 

edited January 2016

The development of OR4C came late to the party,. for example,.. 3D-max had a plugin available fo the release of Octane Renderer version 1.

OR4C was in beta development when Octane renderer 2 was released,. and as far as I understand the current beta (Release Candidate) is ver 82,. while sighman continues to work on the plugin integration and improvements for both Octane 2 and Octane 3, ...the last couple of updates have added support for Carrara lights and has integrated some of the "settings" options into Cararra's UI with new panels,. EG: the Octane "render target" options are now accessed through the SCENE / EFFECTS tab.

Previously these were part of the main "settings" options,.. in the viewport toolbar.

so,. it's best to wait until the "final" version is released, before creating tutorial vids,.

BUT,.. In saying all that,... there are people here who have been using Octane ver1 ( stand alone)  to export from carrara and render in octane,. and have been using Octane (1 and 2) and the OR4C plugin,. and can help answer questions.

it's also worth noting that although these are different plugins for different 3D applications,. they all have a common set of features and functions because they all use Octane renderer,.

Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited February 2016
    3DAGE said:

I just had a quick look at both, and it looks like the 970 has less cuda cores than the 780,... BUT,...

Hi 3dage, I just installed my new nVidia GTX 970 and, although it has less CUDA cores, it registers way above my older nVidia GTX 780 card. I just don't understand.

card.PNG
    549 x 329 - 14K
    card.PNG
    549 x 329 - 14K

It would seem that the 9 series is two levels up from the 7 series,. so although it has less cuda cores,. they're running in a different way (compute model)

interesting ....

My bad :(

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

GeForce 600/700/800 series is the Kepler architecture from 2012.

GeForce 900 series is the newer and more efficient Maxwell architecture from 2014.

Especially Compute performance got a huge boost with the Maxwell, here is a benchmark comparison of 780 vs 970:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1493?vs=1595

LuxMark (similar to Octane) is over 200% faster.

• 3drendero said:

GeForce 900 series is the newer and more efficient Maxwell architecture from 2014.

I undesratnd that the nVidia GTX 970 may be more efficient, as it is more recent,  but it has only 4 GB of memory. My older GTX 780 has 6 GB of memory. Which is the lesser card in the end?

argus1000 said:
    3drendero said:

I undesratnd that the nVidia GTX 970 may be more efficient, as it is more recent,  but it has only 4 GB of memory. My older GTX 780 has 6 GB of memory. Which is the lesser card in the end?

The more efficient the card (and the more cores) then the faster it will render.  The more memory on the card, the larger the scene can be rendered without needing Out of Core memory.  But if a scene fits into the 4GB, then the faster card will be preferable.

So, I had a major computer crash about a month ago which rendered it beyond repair - thank goodness for LiveDrive which had backed up most of my data for just such an eventuality! I now have a new machine with a more recent graphics card, and it renders using Octane at least 5 times faster than my previous machine, so that is great! But one of the few things that I lost was the work that I had done making new Octane skin shaders, so I have had to recreate them and this is where I am at now - this is one of my test renders which shows the SSS quite well I think. I hope you like it - more completed images will be coming soon!

Thanks for everyone's support.

Phil

Raven-Spec1602-06 Side.jpg
    600 x 900 - 43K
  • Phil, is this Octane 2 or Octane 3? From my experience there is a bug with version 3 that specular volumes dont render the same as they do in version 2. One can really only tell the difference when they compare renders from both version side by side.

It is Octane 2.  I have tried using the new test version of Sighman's plugin for Octane 3 and and when I then launch Carrara, I get a message that "OctanePlugin.mcx failed to load". If I then try to load a scene or create a new scene, I just get "An error has occurred". So I had to uninstall and am using the latest Octane 2 version for now, until I get a response from Sighman.

Hi Phiil :)

I'm using both 2 and 3 plugins on different carrara's,.no problems running

edited February 2016

Yes, I don't know what the issue is, I'm the only one who I have heard of having this issue and it worked fine for me on my previous machine. Same issue appears on both versions of Carrara that I think you are using. I'll have to wait for Sighman to come back to me on it. At the moment, I'm just pleased to be able to render anything again!

Post edited by PhilW on