Octane Render for Carrara (OR4C) Public Beta now released..

Comments

• aspinaspin Posts: 219
    aspin said:

If we buy it now, do we have to pay upgrade prices, when the end of the year Octane 3 is being released? Right now we would buy a Beta 2.x-License.

I imagine since one would need to upgrade to 3 anyway you would, there should be an upgrade path like most software though

Well, there should be no upgrade path, it should be free for the beta version. I want to make sure, that I dont pay more than just waiting for the final version for Octane 3.

• aspin said:
    aspin said:

If we buy it now, do we have to pay upgrade prices, when the end of the year Octane 3 is being released? Right now we would buy a Beta 2.x-License.

I imagine since one would need to upgrade to 3 anyway you would, there should be an upgrade path like most software though

Well, there should be no upgrade path, it should be free for the beta version. I want to make sure, that I dont pay more than just waiting for the final version for Octane 3.

well I have to shell out more  for Octane Render Daz studio 2.+ I only have 1.2, and that is still in beta ,is how Otoy apparently does business, am so glad Sighman has upgraded his betas free so far

I have held off on upgrading DS one precisely for that reason, come 3, money for nothing.

• LotharenLotharen Posts: 282

I'm looking at getting Octane for Carrara as well. It wont be until Feb- March so I hope the new version is out then. I get so excited seeing the amazing things you guys have done with Carrara and Octane that I'm giddy to get my hands on it lol.

• Hoping someone here can help me :) I don't have the plugin yet, but I'm probably going to buy it today. 

From what I picked up on in the Octane forum, when you create a Carrara animation, it gets exported as an alembic file?

My question is, can you add volumetric effects like fire, clouds and smoke to the file before it is rendered in Octane? 

• it is rendered in the plugin window live from Carrara

you can export a scene to Octane as an ocs and alembic camera movement but for hair need to use in Carrara

and no volumetrics as of yet but can always do a separate  carrara render pass and postwork in

• Cool! Thanks so much :) So if there is hair in the scene, can you export the scene to ocs, add volumetrics, and then delete the objects in the scene to just get the volumetrics left for rendering?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Carrara's render engine allows you to select and export several different multi-pass renders,. Volume primitives and Volume effects are two of the render passes, those would render Clouds or fog, and atmospherics.

you could then composite those with your Octane rendered frames in a video editor, or image editor.

In Carrara, any object can be made invisible, by clicking a box in the objects Properties panel,. which is perhaps easier than deleting everything in the scene, just to create a remder of a few items.

OctaneRender also has Multi-pass render options but it doesn't currently support Volumentrics.

Hope it helps

• Studio360Studio360 Posts: 51
    edited December 2015

Thanks 3DAGE :) So are the volumetrics in Octane are just shaders applied to a mesh? In the demo for the new version they have fire, smoke, and fog loaded in the scene, so I guess I was wondering how to combine those with a carrara scene, but it's fine if I have to wait for Octane 3 :) 

Post edited by Studio360 on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

Carrara hair DOES render in Octane Render for Carrara - I even launched a set of Octane Hair shaders a few months ago.  For fire/clouds/smoke, they do not (yet) render in Octane, they would just be invisible. But as you say, I think Octane 3 is just around the corner and there are some tasty volumetrics promised for that, and I would be very surprised if Sighman isn't already working behind the scenes on a compatible Carrara version (no insider knowledge on this, beyond being an avid Octane user!).

• Yes hair renders in Octane in Carrara but does not export to standalone was what I meant

try the demo I suggest

• Studio360Studio360 Posts: 51
    edited December 2015

Here's hoping :) Now I just need to be able to download the files - geeerrrrrrr - I hate it when you spend this kind of money and can't even access your file downloads. Support is telling me it could take up to 48 hours before I'm able to download. I'm now throwing myself on the floor like a big ol baby!

Post edited by Studio360 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 2015

Download the latest one from the carrara plugin forum, use your username number and activation number in it

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=45125 stable one

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=51532 one I use

you need that one for hair anyway

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Do I need the Stand Alone file to use the Plugin - if not then you just made my day :) 

• They fixed the problem and I got the files - woohoo! Time to play - thanks so much for everyone's help :) 

• yes you need to own the Standalone, not sure if it actually needs to be installed but probably in fact very likely but the plugin runs independently but you have to own both

I do use the standalone a lot too for other obj and alembic exports from DAZ studio which I can plonk in Carrara exported scenes too.

• Jonstark said:

While I have no problem getting a red or a yellow color by varying the emission, I couldn't find any way to make a blue light color. Just thought I would throw that out there, even though it's a slight tangent to the discussion, because I'm curious how it would be done.

I've been reading back through this forum - lots of great tips from everyone, so I thought I'd share this one I found. Sorry if it's already been addressed, but I'm still reading through all the posts :) 

Anywho, here's how you can change the color if you want to be more aggressive than just changing the temperature. 

2015-12-16.png
    1920 x 1080 - 956K
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,723

For those wondering about the upgrade to Octane 3 if you buy Octane 2 and the Carrara plugin now, it's hard to say exactly what your costs might be, and which route would be cheaper. Right now the Carrara plugin is at half price, when it comes out of Beta, the price will double. When Octane 2 came out, people were given the option of upgrading one plugin for free (unfortunately that didn't work with the DS plugin, because there was no version 2 available until after the free upgrade offer expired ..... Grrrrrrrrrrr). I don't remember the cost to upgrade the stand alone to version 2, but I think it was somewhere between $100-$140 ??? We also don't know exactly when Octane 3 will be released.

Of course upgraing to Octane 3 may be completely different cost/process than the last upgrade, and Octane 3 may also be more expensive than Octane 2. If things are similar to the last upgrade, you might save a few dollars by waiting,just keeo in mind that the cost of the plugin will go from 99 € to 199 €.

Like others have noted, the plugin is very well done, extremely stable, and adds a lot to Carrara. When comparing Octane to Iray (DS only), Octane give you a lot more. Some particularly useful things are faster viewport response, Carrara dynamic hair, out of core textures (this means you can use Octane quite effectively even on a card with 1.5 Gb of memory, because it can use system memory to hold the texture data that wont fit on the GPU), it seems to render faster, and doesn't use ardly any of you CPU (Iray will consume 2 CPU threads while rendering in GPU only mode).

As a side note, for those who us DS too, it might be worthwhile to note that the DS plugin is also about to go off beta. There is a new developer on the project now (face_off), he created the Poser plugin for Octane. Due to the poor performance of the previous developer, I hadn't upgrade my DS plugin, but Paul (face_off) has made great strides with the plugin over the last couple of months, and just released an Octane 3 beta version to DS users for testing. I upgraded yesterday, and am quite pleased with the stability and usability of the plugin so far. It is MUCH more responsive on my system than Iray is, and Paul, like Sighman (the Carrara developer), provides outstanding support. Although the plugin interface is much different than the Carrara plugin (quite a bit more complex and not integrated into the DS materials like the Carrara plugin is with native materials editor), it is still a huge plus to be able to use the same render engine in both applications.

• aspinaspin Posts: 219

This is the reason why I don't buy it now. As long as I don't know for sure if I have to pay twice for this plugin, I will wait for v3.

Initially it was told, that v3 would be released end of this year, but I guess this won't happen.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 2015

Interesting news Dustrider on DS plugin, I stayed on 1.2 as did not want to spend any more on it after getting Carrara one and been eyeing off Poser one, I have to use my 760 as it does not recognize my 980ti too, main thing I hated about it was trying to save presets, often very iffy Carrara so easy as .car files

I may upgrade it after all with new developer, was holding off till 3

Carrara one is so very well used by me I have almost forgotten how to use Carrara render engine.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Carrara one is so very well used by me I have almost forgotten how to use Carrara render engine.

Agreed, I really enjoy using it. and it integrates so well into Carrara. Octane was really a good investment for me, and it gives Carrara a shinny new render engine too that gives me things that were very difficult in Carrara (like really good SSS for skin).

• DustRider said:

Agreed, I really enjoy using it. and it integrates so well into Carrara. Octane was really a good investment for me, and it gives Carrara a shinny new render engine too that gives me things that were very difficult in Carrara (like really good SSS for skin).

Exactly, I always  wondered why Carrrara plugin developers never took a stab at it, very good SSS skin shader would sell like a hot cake, Carrara's SSS shader can be so very slow sometimes, for what it does, and it's not designed for that very purpose smiley

DustRider said:

Exactly, I always  wondered why Carrrara plugin developers never took a stab at it, very good SSS skin shader would sell like a hot cake, Carrara's SSS shader can be so very slow sometimes, for what it does, and it's not designed for that very purpose smiley

When I get the SSS results I want with Carrara, unfortunately there is always some sort of "bleed through" of the light and sss into shadoed areas. It could just be my incompetance, maybe some one will crack the code someday and give us a good skin sss recipie

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 2015

edit:

removed confused comments about beta-2 and non-existant-3.

sounds like beta-2 is what most folks are using and is pretty good? ($99 + base-price good?)

tia,

ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • I think V 3 would have to  be an upgrade certainly for standalone and may well include upgrading plugins with that upgrade  but just speculation on my behalf, prob more Otoys call than plugin  developers.

mindsong said:

edit:

removed confused comments about beta-2 and non-existant-3.

sounds like beta-2 is what most folks are using and is pretty good? ($99 + base-price good?)

tia,

ms

Yes it is very good, very stable and with great (and fast) results. Get it before the price goes up if you are sitting on the fence!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

Thanks Jaguarella and Philw. Trouble is, I'm on six seductive fences at any given moment in this business and rapidly going broke 'buying to save' (think 'fastgrab'). That said, I think the time-saving factor (vs the $99) is the most compelling sell with octane, given the excellent results I keep seeing.

ms

• Another quick question for our animation experts here - how to you get an animation file into the standalone renderer? I've tried the Export Scene from the Carrara Octane Render window as .ocs and .orbx but 

when I import them to the standalone there isn't a timeline for the animation. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't find any info on it :) 

• Studio360 said:

Another quick question for our animation experts here - how to you get an animation file into the standalone renderer? I've tried the Export Scene from the Carrara Octane Render window as .ocs and .orbx but 

when I import them to the standalone there isn't a timeline for the animation. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't find any info on it :) 

no idea either, do not think you can but you can a camera and or use the ol ready cam lua script

it does work with DAZ studio alembic imports which I have done adding them to imported Carrara scenes but then no camera movement

Sorry I have only rendered animations from the Octane Render for Carrara plugin (which is easier than using the Standalone in my view)

• I wonder if I could attach a cube to the camera, export to standalone, then re-attach the camera to the cube. I'll have to read the manual some more.