off topic thread

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331

you seen the Nvidia prices for those 30## cards blush

my older still more powerful dedicated Win7 Carrara machine now has no graphics card at all

the Win10 only faster due to running Octane but often I get faster cleaner results using native anyway even on that one as any emitters you lose any gains from noise.

...and without a GPU, you're stealing RAM from your machine as well. Just goes to show how well Carrara can work on either less tech or older tech. Heck, my lowly netbook can run Carrara - but it's too slow for my liking! ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,066
    edited September 2020

I ran Carrara on my Dell Inspiron lappy for years!

one reason I was a Carrara user, DAZ studio 3 just crashed constantly on that machine it was virtually unuseable

I want more RAM for that machine too, it only has 16GB

but it needs DDR3 which you cannot buy new anymore AFAIK

well looking I do see them for sale new, mmm

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133

I need to do something about my stuff.  Most of my possessions are still in storage in Washington, DC.  

Diomede said:

I need to do something about my stuff.  Most of my possessions are still in storage in Washington, DC.  

So that's what the box UV thing was all about!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227

A moment of silence, please.  After nine years, my trusty Toshiba Satellite laptop has apparently gone on to that great hitech world in the sky.  Core i7, dual hard drives for bootable backup, 17" screen, Win7 ... RIP, old friend.

(And say hello to the Apple LISA for me while I look for the Toshiba Warranty)

Toshiba laptop.jpg
    256 x 197 - 6K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 8,006

sad should of got a compaq lol

Stezza said:

sad should of got a compaq lol

laugh  Indeed, since it was started right here in Houston.  Rod Canion and a couple of other Texas Instruments guys were in a House of Pies deciding whether to start a Mexican restaurant or a computer company.  They picked the latter and left with the business plan on the back of a House of Pies placemat.

Another great story from that time, Woz (the real genius of Apple) on the the first Apples.  "During the first five years of (Apple II) operations, revenues doubled about every four months. Between September 1977 and September 1980, annual sales grew from $775,000 to $118 million."

Wowza!  Thought TI was a Dallas thing.  Hadn't heard the House of Pies story, or had forgotten :(

edited September 2020

Good news.  Misty had a post in the Commons Forum.  

Be well, Misty.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5998382/#Comment_5998382

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

Wowza!  Thought TI was a Dallas thing.  Hadn't heard the House of Pies story, or had forgotten :(

A little more detail:  "The new, information-age business culture was said to be more grounded in the entrepreneurial climate of Silicon Valley in California and the Route 128 corridor around Boston. That is, until three senior engineers from Texas Instruments sat down to dinner at a House of Pies on Westheimer Road in Houston. Rod Canion, James Harris and William Murto each had $1000 to invest. They discussed the possibility of managing a Mexican restaurant, making storage devices for minicomputers or, perhaps, a beeping device to help locate lost items. Instead, on the back of a HOP placemat, they did their initial sketch of an IBM-compatible PC that was small enough to be transportable. In the days before technology allowed for components to be shrunk to 'laptop' size, the Compaq luggable had its first design."

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/compaq-computer-corporation

edited September 2020
    Diomede said:

Good news.  Misty had a post in the Commons Forum.  

Be well, Misty.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5998382/#Comment_5998382

that is great news yes

hopefully she posts in our forum too as I am very unwelcome in that complaint thread

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

hi.  wuz new?

i sleep a lot.  i is basically a lump in a chair.  basically inert  have they invented cold fusion yet?

did i miss a kewl  new pluggin?

edited September 2020
    Mystiarra said:

hi.  wuz new?

i sleep a lot.  i is basically a lump in a chair.  basically inert  have they invented cold fusion yet?

did i miss a kewl  new pluggin?

a few people had Windoze10 update breaking Carrara scares

DAZ has released free bridges to other programs but choose not to improve compatibility with ther genesis 3&8 figures with the program they own Carrara angry

and they pulled the millennium cat from the store.

maybe look into the Zoomer program Majourney/Jacob usesenlightened

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Yay! Welcome back, Misty. Hope you are recovering.

i have the win10 zoom active.  helps a little to read the forum.  the fog in my eyeballs sloshes around.  they cancelled my surgery at the last second cause of blood pressure.  they rolled me to emergency room.  cat scan showed i had a mini stroke.  no eye fixing surgery for me til blood pressure is better.  they still playing with bp meds.  i've lost 15 american pounds since july but it hsant helped the bp lower.  stubborn to the core, doh

i on the fear diet, knots of fear in my stomach

i extremely miss playing in carrara.  i have no pastimes now.  i move to another chair and nap and dream about the good times.

tried  ti play in carrrara but eye fatigue comes quick.  tee hee  was given the brute a hairy crack hair  lol

i have the win10 zoom active.  helps a little to read the forum.  the fog in my eyeballs sloshes around.  they cancelled my surgery at the last second cause of blood pressure.  they rolled me to emergency room.  cat scan showed i had a mini stroke.  no eye fixing surgery for me til blood pressure is better.  they still playing with bp meds.  i've lost 15 american pounds since july but it hsant helped the bp lower.  stubborn to the core, doh

i on the fear diet, knots of fear in my stomach

i extremely miss playing in carrara.  i have no pastimes now.  i move to another chair and nap and dream about the good times.

tried  ti play in carrrara but eye fatigue comes quick.  tee hee  was given the brute a hairy crack hair  lol

• oh dear a stroke is not good news

listen to dietary advice heart

purchased @vyusur 's G8 to G clothes convert thingy today.... I'll have to buy something now for G8 to try it out lol laugh

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,423

oh dear a stroke is not good news

listen to dietary advice heart

+1 yesheart

poseable plate of spaghetti?cheeky  poor meatball rolled off the table, on to the floor, rolled out the door.  chased by a dalek

• some great ideas here for Carrara too, the way he did the rapids with video impressed me

Stezza said:

purchased @vyusur 's G8 to G clothes convert thingy today.... I'll have to buy something now for G8 to try it out lol laugh

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't realized such a world of cool goods exists! There's a pile of thingd over there I want to buy and play with! 

Thanks!

the last thing i picked up over there was the clones for Janna.  my wishlist over there is loadeed with male glutes morphs. cuz theres no glute bones

• I will have to look as seems like something I would use too yes

Mystiarra said:

poseable plate of spaghetti?cheeky  poor meatball rolled off the table, on to the floor, rolled out the door.  chased by a dalek

Was it covered in cheese?  wink

Stezza said:
    Mystiarra said:

Was it covered in cheese?  wink

it left a ttail of cheese, when somebody sneezedlaugh

oh.  my pc mem expu=red couple months ago. 

is whiskey good for blood pressure?

edited September 2020
    Mystiarra said:

oh.  my pc mem expu=red couple months ago. 

I think the word whiskey is derived from Gaelic meaning 'water of life.'  If anyone knows that is wrong, don't correct me.  I like to think it is true.

But seriously, take care of your BP and get your eyes sorted out.  

I have been typing a lot lately.  Hunt and peck.  Anyone have one of those voice recognition programs?  Text to speech?

Post edited by Diomede on
    Torquinox said:

Cheers to what everyone has said! If getting a new machine, I do think it's prudent to get a current Ryzen chip with as many cores as fits in the budget. Carrara will be happy with that. laugh

I've been talking to my builder about a new machine, he agrees with the Ryzen vs. Intel.  He says both benchmark tests and company stock performance support it.

Mystiarra said:

Overheard in the wine dept. at the grocery store: "What wine goes with vodka?"

This discussion has been closed.