off topic thread

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,066
    edited August 2020

I cleared my DAZ 3D library off my C drive to an external

now I can download some of my free games

Grabbed Borderlands 2 and presequel off my Epic games library

basically shoot and loot, from what I can gather, shouldn't tax my brain too much and give me headaches

maybe GTA 5 later

decisions, decisions, decisions wink

what do you guys recommend from my collection?

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 203K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331

Not being a gamer, I'm not familiar with any of those titles. I do own Unreal Tournament, but only because I got it for free. Never played it.

My collection is mostly roleplay games and other stuff I got for free.

Being rekindled to Neverwinter Nights has really done something to me, however. It started with just enjoying memories of how that game eventually brought me to Carrara. Then I had to go and write about it - but I couldn't tell the story without looking some stuff up to get the details right, and hopefully show off some ancient art of mine - which, when I look at it now, I think it really sucks! LOL 

So I went through one of those old hard drives I had sitting on the shelf quarter full of stuff I felt the urge to back up before replacing the drive. I left most of it alone - like all of the backups I made as I was developing - my 3D files. Having so little time to do anything with Carrara (and my site, for that matter) I didn't want to go and get sucked in, so I just grabbed a few finished mods I made, loaded them into the new Enhanced Edition via the toolset, and started running through the game again. 

I never forgot how great of a game this is, especially for being able to open a simple interface and just literally paint out a game. There's more to it than that to get something playable as a stand alone game, but with Neverwinter Nights, we can just paint down the majority of it, use existing scripts and triggers to generate a good amount of hazards and oasis zones, and then guide the players through it as a DM.

But firing up the original single player campaign again is a real trip! Back in the day, I've experimented with so many character options that I ran through the beginning so many times that I ended up just clicking through conversations without reading them. So it's refreshing to catch the whole story again. 

While in the toolset, I scripted two (twins) Halfling rogues in hoods as my companions. So they don't have any plot lines, they simply watch my back and do what I tell them to do. I tell them to Search as we go and to keep their distance from me, and asked them to stick with their ranged attacks as much as possible, eventhough they're very deadly when dual-wielding their daggers! I fogot how cool this is! As I'm talking to them, instructing them how I want them to behave, they look up at my character with a look of innocense and discipline. Then we trek near some baddies and they tear it up! So cool!

Ooops. Too much to digest again, right? Sorry. My renders I've been doing while playing are turning out pretty darned cool! 

I also think it's cool how Bioware created the opening cinematic to portray the game without giving anything away from the story. The big boss on our (players) side that we never see until the very end is a veteran bad ass: Lord Nasher Alagondar, who rules Neverwinter but acts more as a protector than a ruler. This guy is no tyrant, that's for sure. A good man! Sorry if that's a spoiler. The cinematic is of his younger days when he faces a nasty Minotaur on his own. No wonder he's all covered in scars. Dude's got game!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

mad max thunderdome has an awesome soundtrack.  some wild sax o phone  read Tina's dress weighed 80 pounds

I cleared my DAZ 3D library off my C drive to an external

now I can download some of my free games

Grabbed Borderlands 2 and presequel off my Epic games library

basically shoot and loot, from what I can gather, shouldn't tax my brain too much and give me headaches

Shoot to thrill

mann ac/dc so ahead of their time heart

that looks awesome Dart, can see the influence on Rosie and you in your videos (the setting, your attire)

I am not a gamer at all so really don't want anything too complicated, I might hate Overwatch 2, not played it yet, just installed it.

Cats were making using my PC difficult so this will be a factor too. 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227

I've been a fan of the GTA series since GTA3, the first in true 3d.  Not so much for the violence, but for the incredible realism and wide open worlds.  Just driving around for a long time can be pretty interesting.  Or boating, or helicoptering, or ... also, game capture clips can be fun to use in short animations.  Rockstar even provides in some games a built in capture and editing feature that allows post play changes like camera angles.  I've mentioned this before, but here is a short animation using capture game footage (The games used are: "Blazing Angels: Secret Missions of WWII" by Ubisoft, "L.A. Noire","Red Dead Redemption",  "Undead Nightmare", and  "Grand Theft Auto 4" by Rockstar Games):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bv7hMnkApk&

edited August 2020

my first video game was Gabriel Knight.  was a 3.5 floppy.  needed 640k of ran,  had to use himem.sys for the mouse driver

Post edited by Mistara on
    Steve K said:

I've been a fan of the GTA series since GTA3, the first in true 3d.  Not so much for the violence, but for the incredible realism and wide open worlds.  Just driving around for a long time can be pretty interesting.  Or boating, or helicoptering, or ... also, game capture clips can be fun to use in short animations.  Rockstar even provides in some games a built in capture and editing feature that allows post play changes like camera angles.  I've mentioned this before, but here is a short animation using capture game footage (The games used are: "Blazing Angels: Secret Missions of WWII" by Ubisoft, "L.A. Noire","Red Dead Redemption",  "Undead Nightmare", and  "Grand Theft Auto 4" by Rockstar Games):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bv7hMnkApk&

I was thinking of using GTA V for just that purpose 

Steve K said:

I was thinking of using GTA V for just that purpose 

I think you'll have a lot of fun with it.  Here's a GTA V video I did, trying to show how realistic and relaxing some of the scenes can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myq6UuJlnPQ

edited August 2020

Carrara Octane render of that classroom

I may try a Carrara engine render tomorrow as think I might get a better result

no transmaps so should render well

update

3 seconds a frame, hell stuff Octane cheeky

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133

Wendy, very cool that you got the new classroom working.  I had seen some comments implying that people had trouble installing it.  yes

Diomede said:

Wendy, very cool that you got the new classroom working.  I had seen some comments implying that people had trouble installing it.  yes

oh it installs for everyone just not set up, I uses Abascus's preload he put together here

does the imac os have siri?   
    after i all fixed up still hopin to get an imac to run final cut pro. 
    and get 3d coat.
    and i'd like try the 360 enviros on u tube like wendy makessmiley hunks on dragon back, brony hunks. and hunk sized chicken saddles, if i evwer figure out what that is 

need to set a new production schedule.  how many cores are pcs up to?

still muddled in my head, best way to control the size of light gels. for special effects.  still havent unlocked the secret for the sphere to dust.  i want to breakdown the dragon into particles then shoot into a shape of man or woman.  yes i wrote in a couple dragon queens, and they arent skinny stalks, they women with vintage hollywood style .  fantasy women are voluptuous, like whats her face princess in the original flash gordon and raquel B.C.  i still have cast as V4 frostbite.  need a g3 or 8 v4 uv set that doesnt need geografts.  casting original Janna as captain of the dragon guard.  grabbed janna's autofit from the other place. smiley

cant read dson editor at mo, wanted to try copy pasting the g3 lip n eyebriw node trees into g1/2 just to see if it would work with their  geometry.
    would like to test if removing the v4/m4 eyebrow plate would break their morphs.
    not really satisfied with using noise speckles as skin roughness.  i     played with holly circuit's specular highlight tut, really liked.  would be nice to bake it into a skin texture to cut down render frames time.
    forgot to check if the price on aleta battle angel came down yet.

edited August 2020

Misty, I hope your eye health is going well and on schedule.

RE: special effects.  With my custom critters, I can select the mesh in an animation group and use the "atomize" modifier under 'complex deformations.'  I forget if ATOMIZE comes with Carrara or was part of a plugin.  There are a couple of other options in the modifiers such as 'dissolve' and 'shatter' under basic modifier, and then some added by plugins.

Here is my model of Max the dog.  Applied the atomize modifier and played with the size of the particles.

- 1st screenshot is selecting the mesh within the animation group.

- 2nd screenshot is adding the atomize modifier from complex deformations in the properties tray

- 3rd screenshot is adjusting the particle size and density in the modifier menu.

max dissolve 02 select mesh inside animation group.jpg
    1497 x 894 - 221K
    max dissolve 03 atomize modifier.jpg
    1530 x 796 - 193K
    max dissolve 04 adjust size of particles.jpg
    1321 x 781 - 194K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Has me thinking could be fun to apply the modifier in reverse.  Start the scene with critter atomized with small least-densed particles, then over the animation sequence return the modifier to default.  The critter would appear to go from nothing to crystalize before our eyes.  yes

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971

Thinking of you, Misty.... be patient. You will have the eyes of a 20 year old soon! heart Silene

edited August 2020

the fun police are patrolling the corridors today

I still managed to buy something from the store today though so their discouragement isn't working ...

SileneUK said:

Thinking of you, Misty.... be patient. You will have the eyes of a 20 year old soon! heart Silene

heart

Diomede said:
    SileneUK said:

heart

I want the body of a 20 year old

to do my yardwork while I watch his ripped arms and torso perspiring  devil

edited August 2020

Margaret Dumont - You make me think of my youth.

Groucho Marx - Really, he must be a big boy by now.

See some clips of the greatest 'straight man' in a comedy duo (Margaret setting up Groucho's one liners) at the following link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seYikCrWMVg

She summed it up nicely.

dumont quote.jpg
    1070 x 447 - 83K
    Post edited by Diomede on

I think Misty would like a hot hunk too to watch, but she needs the eyes fixed first, otherwise she could be lusting after a fugly devil

Diomede said:

Margaret Dumont - You make me think of my youth.

Groucho Marx - Really, he must be a big boy by now.

See some clips of the greatest 'straight man' in a comedy duo (Margaret setting up Groucho's one liners) at the following link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seYikCrWMVg

She summed it up nicely.

like Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, without the former the latter would not have been funny at all

Diomede said:
    SileneUK said:

I want the body of a 20 year old

A 40-something guy at the office said he had the body of a twenty year old.  Someone asked him "Yeah? Where do you keep it?"

Have we posted Rowan Atkinson's guide to visual comedy before?

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited August 2020

He's brilliant!   Loved Blackadder and the Johnny English movies. laugh  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

OK I know DAZ studio renders create icons

but now pictures is my default folder for renders in it

Everything I save there creates icons even rightclick save off the web!!!

and snips

like WTF?

Get well, Misty.

Misty was active yesterday according to her profile but maybe cannot see to type yet? crying

needs raunchy audiobooks

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,424

Misty was active yesterday according to her profile but maybe cannot see to type yet? crying

needs raunchy audiobooks

Hopefully Misty will have a full recovery !

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331

More Wishing Well for Misty!

Diomede, why did you atomize Max? :(

Okay, I'm all excited. I have to go set up now for my very first Live Stream concert!!! I've been playing for $(peanuts), this being my 40th year. First time ever live stream.

(image links to the concert)

This discussion has been closed.