Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Fauvist said:

Are the pieces of clothing that are currently being sold in the DAZ store going to be marked as Dforce compliant?  Or do we have to buy the older clothing, test it with Dforce, and then return it if it doesn't work?

As far as I know, you're going to have to add the dForce modifier yourself. I imagine there will be some PAs that may go ahead and release updates for recently released content, but I don't expect it for things over a year old.

It may be possible to share presets for things that can be fixed with settings and a weight-map. Things that require chnages to the mesh would require the PA to release an update or for users to make their own modifications.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

Finally got a chance to try this out and I can't find The Add Dforce modifier. All I have is Remove Dforce Modifier and Clear Dforce Simulations.

What am I doing wrong please?

• stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192
    Wilmap said:

Finally got a chance to try this out and I can't find The Add Dforce modifier. All I have is Remove Dforce Modifier and Clear Dforce Simulations.

What am I doing wrong please?

Have you run the "Update & Merge Menus" script in Scripts\Utilities yet?  I had some of the options missing, like creating the wind node, until I did that yesterday.  You might need to take a note of your custom actions first because it wiped that out for me when I ran it.  Hopefully that should make it appear.  

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

Thank you stuthurso, that worked. Now to go and play with dforce.

• stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192
    Wilmap said:

Thank you stuthurso, that worked. Now to go and play with dforce.

Phew!  I’m glad it worked ok because since your clothing works so well with it if anyone deserves to get to play with dforce it’s you Wendy!  laugh

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

So I've set everything up its all ready to go and now I am getting an could not find a valid OpenCL Source.  What does that even mean.

• So I've set everything up its all ready to go and now I am getting an could not find a valid OpenCL Source.  What does that even mean.

Make sure your video card drivers are up to date. For more info, see this post:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081#dependencies

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,088

From  the Start Here thread:

Are there any dependencies that I need to be aware of?

Yes, there is. The dForce engine utilizes OpenCL 1.2 to perform simulations. If you do not have a driver already installed that supports at least OpenCL 1.2, you will need to install one. The more recent driver packages from NVIDIA and AMD typically include a suitable driver. In the case of older cards (e.g., GTS 250), the NVIDIA drivers do not support OpenCL 1.2 and so the driver for the CPU must be installed:

Intel GPU/CPU Driver Packages

Intel CPU-only Runtime Packages

You may want to install the CPU driver anyway if you want/need to be able to use your CPU for running simulations.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    Oh wow just realised I can finally put clothes on hangers and dumped on a floor! Can't wait for this to hit release.

It's easily being able to do the odd little bits and pieces that there's no point in PAs bothering with that I'm looking forward to, like having someone hold a handkerchief or a cleaning cloth, or throwing a bit of rag over a tow-rope beteween two cars to let pedestrians know that it's there. I'm so used to having to do this sort of thing in postwork though that I expect I'll continue to have to do so for a while, due to forgetting until mid-render that Studio doesn't have some of the same limitations anymore.

I'm hoping to see more shawls, too. I've always thought it looked odd in a lot of period pieces to see women without shawls.

edited October 2017

How do I know which to install.  the open cl for intel core wants me to uninstall my graphics driver first.  Not sure if that's a good idea....

And I ran the driver utility and it says everything is up to date, so I am not sure what I need to do to get this to work on my laptop. If I have to uninstall my graphics driver and install the opencl instead is that going to mess up anything else?

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • What video card do you have?

AMD RADEON HD 690M

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,221

I have a similar question. I have an OpenCL 1.2 compliant video card (GeForce GTX 660) but it has such a small memory I'm getting crashes and would like to use CPU in those cases, but CPU isn't listed as an option. Do I need to install the Intel GPU/CPU package or the Intel CPU Only Runtime package?

• @IceDragonArt - It looks like integrated graphics. Use the link below.

@MelanieL - download the Driver Update Utility and see where it gets you

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Okay will give it a try when I get home,from work here in a,bit. Thanks!
  • Jack238Jack238 Posts: 117

Will dforce work with an AMD FX8320 CPU? I see my video card listed in the dforce - simulation settings - Advanced, but not my CPU.  

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,221

@IceDragonArt - It looks like integrated graphics. Use the link below.

Mm, slightly tricky - looks like that needs my PC to be internet-connected. My DAZ Studio workstation is not connected, I download everything to my laptop and copy it via USB stick to run on the other. (This is how I normally update drivers)

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 643
    edited October 2017
    Fauvist said:

Are the pieces of clothing that are currently being sold in the DAZ store going to be marked as Dforce compliant?  Or do we have to buy the older clothing, test it with Dforce, and then return it if it doesn't work?

As far as I know, you're going to have to add the dForce modifier yourself. I imagine there will be some PAs that may go ahead and release updates for recently released content, but I don't expect it for things over a year old.

I wonder if some PA's have dForce-compliant clothing ready to go, just waiting for the official public release of the simulation.

For example, when the Ravyn character was released some folks were asking about clothing used in a couple of the promo shots. 3D Universe basically said that it was on its way but not ready yet. I'm sure PA's have had a head's up from DAZ that dForce was coming, so they probably wanted to get a head start. It would also make a good introductory splash for DAZ when they release it officially, to also release a bunch of cool new items to show off the sim. "Look at what Daz Studio can do now!"

So we may see a mini-flood of new clothing when the next version of DS comes out.

Post edited by ColinFrench on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,003
    Jack238 said:

Will dforce work with an AMD FX8320 CPU? I see my video card listed in the dforce - simulation settings - Advanced, but not my CPU.  

Yes, as it's not depending on Cudas, your card should be fine. You'll probably have to install the CPU drivers mentioned in the post namffuak made a couple of posts above yours to get the CPU listed.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Something just occurred to me; when I was experimenting with Luxus rendering, I installed a set of OpenCL drivers. Anyone know if this will be OK for using dForce as well?

• As long as it supports OpenCL 1.2, it should be fine.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

well folks...

You can pin and manipulate stuff!!

with some definite fiddling

(I might write up a proper tut, but basic idea is:

create some bones, assign a single vertex to those bones, and weight paint that vertex to not be influenced by draping you can then move the bone around and the cloth will follow)

obviously its not as simple as just creating a pin to pul around, but it does give very good control,

This is telling me that everything is up to date.  Any ideas on where to go from here?

• @IceDragonArt - It looks like integrated graphics. Use the link below.

This is telling me that everything is up to date.  Any ideas on where to go from here?

Ok, goto this page and download the app. You can use the Portable version, just extract it somewhere and run the GPU_Caps_Viewer.exe inside it. Click on the OpenCL tab and see what version it gives you.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20170801/gpu-caps-viewer-1-36-x-released-with-opengl-4-6-support/

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,295
    j cade said:

well folks...

create some bones, assign a single vertex to those bones, and weight paint that vertex to not be influenced by draping you can then move the bone around and the cloth will follow)

obviously its not as simple as just creating a pin to pul around, but it does give very good control,

Oh that's cool! yes

• Has anyone else noticed that doing a second sim with the same outfit in the same session causes a slowdown? I had that happen tonight and had to restart the beta to clear it.

• j cade said:

well folks...

o.O Nice!!!!

Ok, goto this page and download the app. You can use the Portable version, just extract it somewhere and run the GPU_Caps_Viewer.exe inside it. Click on the OpenCL tab and see what version it gives you.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20170801/gpu-caps-viewer-1-36-x-released-with-opengl-4-6-support/

Open GL 3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2559

OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP (851.4) FULL_PROFILE

• Here's a weird one with Dforce. It started out working fast. Now it's just so slow. Same scene that was fast. Same amount of stuff. Just. slow. We can't figure out what happened. Obviously it's something to do with my computer, but it's a little above us.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,151

Open GL 3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2559

OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP (851.4) FULL_PROFILE

You need OpenCL 1.2

Laurie