Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

1353637383941»

Comments

• Space JingorohSpace Jingoroh Posts: 104
    edited August 24

It does not have to be the same as the actual physical properties as long as it resembles the actual cloth behavior.
     However, simulation settings are more intuitive and easier to operate if they resemble actual physical properties.

Linear spring constant (?) with no fixed upper limit of elongation cloth may bounce like a yo-yo when hung from a high place, a movement that is unfamiliar to us in everyday life.
     When you try to set up a setting to suppress the unnaturalness, a new and different unnaturalness is created, and you may end up going in circles.

The current simulation settings for creating animated movies with dForcs cloth are so difficult just to keep it from exploding that I don't have the luxury of pursuing the texture of the cloth's behavior.
     In some cases, I have to give up even the animation motion I want before the cloth texture.

In the case of long animated movies, even if explosions can be avoided, various energies can accumulate in the cloth, and the geometry can become tangled up in a mess.

It takes time to check the simulation results, and it is very difficult to find a compromise between the simulation settings.
     I am willing to go through the hard work of creation, but the struggle to find a compromise in the tools is sterile.

If I were creating a still image, I would have fewer problems because I would not be able to see the motion behavior.

Post edited by Space Jingoroh on
  • Hope in the future perhaps Daz 5.0 or in a future update there will be some similar simulation like there is in Marvelous Designer which is in "real time" so you can adjust the clothing easier!

•  The fact that the dForce fabric stretches without limit seems to magnify the unnaturalness of the fabric.

It cannot limit its ability to stretch abnormally when fast movement or high wind speeds are required.

It seems to me that there should be an upper limit to the stretch rate of the fabric.

I would like a parameter to set the maximum elongation rate.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955
    There are stretch controls in the surface settings. Have you experimented with them?
    There's also velocity damping in the surface settings. It sounds like that would help your high speed or wind situation.
  • barbult said:

There are stretch controls in the surface settings. Have you experimented with them?

Thanks for the reply.

I have been trying to change various Surface parameters and animations, but with not so good results.
     Sometimes the elasticity is too strong and it bounces around and sometimes it moves in a way that doesn't seem like cloth.
     Sometimes the garment jerks and vibrates unnaturally, even when the person is standing still.
     Even if the wind is very strong, it is also not good for the hair to grow long in strong winds.

Also, it may depend on the product, but some parameters may freeze if the value is raised above a certain level, which may limit the adjustable range.
     I use a relatively fast graphics board, packed with large VRAM, and simulate one item at a time, but I cannot avoid this problem.

If I'm making still images that don't animate, I only need one frame to complete the process, which reduces the problem.

• barbult said:

There's also velocity damping in the surface settings. It sounds like that would help your high speed or wind situation.

I have adjusted the dForce hair stretching and the velocity-related parameters, but my hair still grows long in strong winds. 

•  If the dForce simulation is repeated many times, some noise data may remain on the garment.
     At that time, no matter how many times the Clear button was pressed, it did not return to the perfect initial state.
     Sometimes when I run the simulation in that state, the polygons partially collapse.
     In such cases, you need to delete the garment and dress it again.

If the dForce simulation is repeated many times, some noise data may remain on the garment.
     At that time, no matter how many times the Clear button was pressed, it did not return to the perfect initial state.
     Sometimes when I run the simulation in that state, the polygons partially collapse.

I've never seen it not clear. That's strange.
  • barbult said:

Space Jingoroh said:

If the dForce simulation is repeated many times, some noise data may remain on the garment.

I've never seen it not clear. That's strange.

Yes.
     Strange.
     It takes a lot of time and effort, but it can be cured by re-dressing it, so that's how I get around it now.

•  If the dForce simulation is repeated many times, some noise data may remain on the garment.

Reminds me of applications which don't have clean uninstall...or ROMs of NES/famicom games which were notoriously buggy.