Its time for new Cat and Dog models!

mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

The Millennium versions are showing their age.... how about new figures with better bends, morphs, and fur. 

Comments

• TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited July 2016

+ 1 - the current ones look very dated in a render next to the characters.

It would be nice for our models to be able to have some realistic pets to play with  :)

Post edited by Tottallou on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Their are some incredible works in progress on cats and dogs... Sadly, not here but elsewhere.  But, they are going to be incredible from what I can see...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

Better make a BeeLine to there then ....

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

I really would like to see a good looking yellow labrador or a collie (Lassie type?) with nice fur.

I don't think I can link to them but its not the site we shall not name that starts with R if that helps any lol.

If anyone wants a link to the forum thread with examples feel free to message me. Hopefully, that's okay.  If not, the mods can remove this post if they need to.

• boisselazonboisselazon Posts: 458

may I suggest also: new horse and new dragon ? Horse 3 and Dragon 4 pro bundles?

And what about a creature creator HD for G3 (male and female)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,604

I saw the new big cat with paws that look like cat feet not hooves from the other store. I'm not really sure why daz dropped the ball on the animal wagon but I can't honestly say their last few releases have really been to good so many be it is time for other stores go pick up the slack.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I saw the new big cat with paws that look like cat feet not hooves from the other store. I'm not really sure why daz dropped the ball on the animal wagon but I can't honestly say their last few releases have really been to good so many be it is time for other stores go pick up the slack.

I agree on the big cats 2 release, the feet looked really odd and that is the main reason I passed, even on sale, LOL

I don't use animals much in renders, but I would like a new horse WITH proper saddles and tack, especially for wagons and such. I only recently picked up horse 2 and to be honest I am still going back to the milhorse. I am also hoping for a new African elephant, the indian one looks great, but I need a new African one.

Sad said:

Better make a BeeLine to there then ....

bees live in a bee ____

a line is a ____ between two poles

just sharing a bit of a quiz to keep us entertainedcheeky

edited July 2016

I agree on the big cats 2 release, the feet looked really odd and that is the main reason I passed, even on sale, LOL

I don't use animals much in renders, but I would like a new horse WITH proper saddles and tack, especially for wagons and such. I only recently picked up horse 2 and to be honest I am still going back to the milhorse. I am also hoping for a new African elephant, the indian one looks great, but I need a new African one.

I think I would use dogs, especially small ones in renders and cats because they are companion critters and easily  look good in scenes with humans. I stopped using mil dog and cat because they look flat and dated Not sure why they haven't been updated we have all sorts of woodland creatures but not one of the most common animals to accompany humans in images.

Agree about the tack. Horse 2 was a huge disappointment because the tack and saddle was not poseable or functioning. I and others said as much when it was released but no updates were ever made and the figure kind of hit the store, sold a lot, and then nothing more was made. My few forays into trying to make gen 2 male actually ride the horse with his feet in the stirrups and using the reins properly resulted only in one half of the character looking semi decent.  Huge disappointment. 

Not having a functioning saddle and bridle made it unusuable. Also the odd mane.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,349

I agree with everyone regarding a new cat and dog. We have had a lot of great looking animals from AM recently, but mostly much too obscure to use much unless you are into wildlife only renders. A humble cat and dog would be far more useful.

• Go to H....W... to see what CAN be done in the feild of Animals. Only two released so far  ( Horse and Gorilla) but Big cat is next, I believe. Some simplly AWESOME WIP  shots there..and most of the old Mil Big cat problems seem to have been solved. Also in the works are House Cat, Dog and Dragon.. I gather the Big Cat is due for release early August - and I can't wait :)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

Actually, the MilCat still looks pretty good if you can get fur onto it. Either LAMH or Tiny's dynamic Poser hair. Probably Garibaldi as well.

It was a remarkably good figure for its time, and has held up very well. But it's time was something like a dozen years ago, and that's very old tech now. The dog, on the other hand was good for its time as well, but it hasn't held up half as well. Hardly ever looks convincing any more.

Chris Creek's new dog is default labrador, but he's also working on a boxer morph. Plus a separate toy dog base (chiuahua). Plus half a dozen other animals. The biggest problem with his animals seems to be that he's only one person, so they only show up one at a time and the add-on morph characters trickle out months later. Which is kind of unavoidable when the lead modeler is only one person.

• New dog and cat models are definitely welcome. The current ones are ok as background figures or within a very stylized render, but they just don't look realistic up close.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,870

I have heard from a reliable source that a prominent animal creator here at Daz is currently making new dog and big/domestic cat lines. And they'll have real fur.

The fiber mesh hair can be very resource intensive. I like a bit of it, but too much makes a figure look... Erm. Brushy. So hopefully it isn't too much.

I can't wait to see what folks produce.

Go to H....W... to see what CAN be done in the feild of Animals. Only two released so far  ( Horse and Gorilla) but Big cat is next, I believe. Some simplly AWESOME WIP  shots there..and most of the old Mil Big cat problems seem to have been solved. Also in the works are House Cat, Dog and Dragon.. I gather the Big Cat is due for release early August - and I can't wait :)

Couldn't agree more, the WIP shots are freakin awesome looking, can't wait for that one

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    xyero said:

I have heard from a reliable source that a prominent animal creator here at Daz is currently making new dog and big/domestic cat lines. And they'll have real fur.

If it's who I think it is, I'm actually torn.  Based on their previous work, the quality is guaranteed, but the flexibility is less so.  I say this based on a couple of existing lines of animal models produced by the artist I have in mind that realistically could have been morphs off of a base mesh, but were released as separate models, which makes mixing and matching difficult to say the least.  Mixing and matching being useful for making fantasy breeds, or even just mutts/mixes or covering breeds that the artists havent gotten to yet.

With any luck, I'm worrying over nothing and will be pleasantly surprised.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I use the current ones an then put Carrara Hair on it as fur and they are better than the originals now.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

Like I said. If you can get fur onto them, they still look pretty good. New ones will probably have better rigging, but probably not as many morphs. At least not at release.

The old MilCat and MilDog LE were usable figures, but they didn't come with additional textures or morphs. The full versions are loaded with morphs, but it isn't always easy to get to the ones you want. The bundles are enormous packages with all kinds of options. This has carried them for years.

New figures will probaby be better rigged. But wherever they come from, they aren't likely to be coming out in bundles like the old Mil figures. Nobody is going to hold them back until such bundles can be produced. So we'll get 'a' new Dog, or Big Cat, or whatever. It will probably come with some basic poses, and a collection of expression morphs and a base texture. Likely some additional basic morphs as well. But additional breeds or whatever will be anopther wait..

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349

Go to H....W... to see what CAN be done in the feild of Animals. Only two released so far  ( Horse and Gorilla) but Big cat is next, I believe. Some simplly AWESOME WIP  shots there..and most of the old Mil Big cat problems seem to have been solved. Also in the works are House Cat, Dog and Dragon.. I gather the Big Cat is due for release early August - and I can't wait :)

Couldn't agree more, the WIP shots are freakin awesome looking, can't wait for that one

The model and textures are very good quality, however the lack of fibre mesh hair does make the final image seem a bit flat to me.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

Well, there's no reason not to use both lines. I know I do, with the horses.

Like, Harry, Hivewire's Horse looks fantastic, but completely lacks any Genesis support for riders. And what I've seen on their new cat/dog animal, it also looks great. Still, I am using the DAZ horses as well - at least, I can gt a rider on them.

But if DAZ is working on something cat/dog with fur, I'm willing to add that to my runtime, too. I'm looking forward to the releases, and hope I'm not going to be disappointed. smiley

edited July 2016

I still use the really old Poser cat too with fur

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

birds would be good too yes seen those ones eleswhere look good

on that other site looking at now they have fluffy looking fur for m cat looks pretty good in those promos sometimes I see some pretty good renders here of the m dogs/cats that tempt me in buying these old dated models

Havos said:

The model and textures are very good quality, however the lack of fibre mesh hair does make the final image seem a bit flat to me.

True, but I have LAMH (even though I have never figured out how it works) and I'm pretty sure someone will come out with a preset. Besides, at least it looks like a leopard, feet and mouth especially. The Big cat 2 just looked way off in these areas.

we do have the husky add on for wolf 2

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/184631

Run To The Hills Running Wild Running Free Husky

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

The fiber mesh hair can be very resource intensive. I like a bit of it, but too much makes a figure look... Erm. Brushy. So hopefully it isn't too much.

I can't wait to see what folks produce.

I'd sooner have more realism; if my system won't cope, why hold everyone else back?

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,606

This would be more welcome then new versions of Victoria 7 and Michael 7.