Vue, Plant Factory now free

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,604

there are  2 files for Vue 2023, same for plant factory 2023... full installer and updater. Do you just need to install the full version, or do you also install the updater after the full? 

VUE 2023 Full Installer (Win & Mac) 
    VUE 2023 Updater to build 8006132 (Win) 
    VUE 2023 Updater to build 8006132 (Mac)  

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,311

daveso said:

there are  2 files for Vue 2023, same for plant factory 2023... full installer and updater. Do you just need to install the full version, or do you also install the updater after the full? 

VUE 2023 Full Installer (Win & Mac) 
    VUE 2023 Updater to build 8006132 (Win) 
    VUE 2023 Updater to build 8006132 (Mac)  

Still downloading, but the version/release nrs are the same. My guess is that the update is for those of us who already have x1.8 installed. It should remove the licensing system (as mentioned on the web-page).

wonder if any of the Vue products for sale here at DAZ will work in Vue 2023. The entire engine or whatever changed at one point. 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,868

---and how to get Iray-Genesis characters into Vue. 

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,795
    edited May 8

Masterstroke said:

---and how to get Iray-Genesis characters into Vue. 

You can import a G9 as FBX but..have fun getting the materials to look right in vue.noangry
    it will import a poser files(PZ3) natively with materials
    though,so poser users may find this an alternative for outdoor rendering.

g9 in vue bad mats3.png
    1902 x 1075 - 2M
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,051

And Vue  F.A.Q. says  -

I did not own a PlantCatalog license. Can I use PlantCatalog now for free?

Yes, you can download the entire PlantCatalog collection for free and use it with VUE, PlantFactory, or other applications, provided you update your VUE and PlantFactory installations to the perpetual builds. Just download and unzip all plant archives to get the full collection. Each archive contains a self-extracting installer that will install the plants into a shared folder between VUE and PlantFactory. The next time you open any of the two programs, the plants will appear automatically in the content browser, ready to be used in your projects.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916

The plant collections, are they cumulative or separate collections?

Oso3D said:

From the web page "Just download and unzip all plant archives to get the full collection." and given that the filesizes increase and decrease with the subsequent files, I'd say they are separate (haven't installed them yet).

Did a few tests with the X1.8 install using some ooooold saves I had made waaaaaay back cheeky. Everything  loaded in fine. And to my surprise even an old scene that included poser objects loaded without problem; (after Vue prompted to fill in the path to Poser).

A quick test render

HIJMS Kamikaze 3 [16bit].jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 198K
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,151
    edited May 9

While I appreciate that they are making the sotware free to the community, I am soooooo sad to see it die, even though I haven't been able to afford it for years now. I started my 3D journey with Vue 2 and I adored it once. So sorry to see it go. It was a wonderful piece of software.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,971
    edited May 9

glaseye said:

Oso3D said:

From the web page "Just download and unzip all plant archives to get the full collection." and given that the filesizes increase and decrease with the subsequent files, I'd say they are separate (haven't installed them yet).

They are seperate. They also install to your C-Drive so make sure you have enough space for them, I only installed half of them.

For the unistalled items, Vue when the plants section is opened will still show the icons for all of the plants, but when you click on an uninstalled icon it will come up with a message that it needs to be installed.

Vue Plants 2.png
    1913 x 1038 - 578K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,738

Bunyip02 said:

glaseye said:

Oso3D said:

They are seperate. They also install to your C-Drive so make sure you have enough space for them, I only installed half of them.

For the unistalled items, Vue when the plants section is opened will still show the icons for all of the plants, but when you click on an uninstalled icon it will come up with a message that it needs to be installed.

You can choose to install all the content to a different drive! Both for Vue itself and for PlantFactory. 

Nath said:

Bunyip02 said:

glaseye said:

Oso3D said:

You can choose to install all the content to a different drive! Both for Vue itself and for PlantFactory.

Thanks for the info, installed all of the Plants to my E-drive, opened Vue, all appears to be working !

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

Shame, I can only guess the move to subscription killed it.

Yearly payments for minial imrovement (if any).

A prime candidate fopr open source.

• edited May 9

I've downloaded and installed plant factory and plant catalog 2023 1, 2 1nd 3. but after install the plant catalogue plants stil tell you to download them. There is over 7gb of plant files in my ProgramData folder which I camy use. yes Ive pointed the plany factory directory to them. Even copied them to a diferent location. but when I point to that location it still says to download them. ie Afterlownloading the archives you still need to download them. Anybody have a clue about this?

Tried to attach screenshots but it blew my comment our by an obscene amount.

Plant factory 2024 supports pivot painer 2.0. But you cant open the plants.....

Post edited by seegvisualizations on

seegvisualizations said:

I've downloaded and installed plant factory and plant catalog 2023 1, 2 1nd 3. but after install the plant catalogue plants stil tell you to download them. There is over 7gb of plant files in my ProgramData folder which I camy use. yes Ive pointed the plany factory directory to them. Even copied them to a diferent location. but when I point to that location it still says to download them. ie Afterlownloading the archives you still need to download them. Anybody have a clue about this?

I've downloaded and installed all the plant catalogi, and I can load them. In the browser, you will see all the plants that are availabld from the 'store' regardless if you installed them or not. If installed, they will load. If not, you get the option to download (buy) them. (Same goes for the Vue objects etc. in Vue)

seegvisualizations said:

Did you download and install Plant Catalogs 2019, 2020, 2021, & 2022 as well or just 2023 ? All are needed to get all of the plants.

edited May 9

500 KB/s Download?!
    [--]

(Post edited by mod for language)

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916

I may only open a few of the catalogs, we'll see.

Since my primary interest is making my own plants for products, I mainly need to look at existing plants to get some ideas on the proper settings to achieve various things.

I'm excited, I've wanted to do more environments, but my plant creation tools have been fairly limited. (most of the good stuff has onerous usage restrictions)

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,955
    edited May 9

HOLY ****!

The installers reads perpetual!?

Does that mean that these are the FULL progs!?

I guess I'll find out, as I'm DL'n/Installing them ASAP; THANKS FOR THE INFO, I used to religiously use Vue with my work, but stopped as it turned into rentware!

EDIT: just read the page, and YES, they are the exact full progs, this is unheard of, I can scarcly believe this!
    I'm over the moon with this!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
    edited May 9

Masterstroke said:

500 KB/s Download?!
    [--]

its busy. I was getting 20 mb/s two days ago. Could get 3 or 4 simultaneous downloads but it began to crawl.  

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,051

And  -  read the  F.A.Q.

actually explains a number of things  +  Thanx

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,046

MAC - how do you get around this "macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware."  VUE was the absolute most frustrating sofdtware I ever encoountered.  No matter what I did or tried to do with it, there was always SOME infuriating problem.  It's pathetic to see this continues to the bitter end.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 5.34.13 PM.png
    1742 x 764 - 477K
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,337
    edited May 10

takezo_3001 said:

EDIT: just read the page, and YES, they are the exact full progs, this is unheard of, I can scarcly believe this!
    I'm over the moon with this!

Agreed. It's incredibly generous. Could have been killed with no release to the world. Has happened with many programs.

I'm also pleased to have a modern program that replaces the very early and somewhat geriatric looking 'Plant Studio', which was used to create many early poser plant freebies.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,084
    edited May 10

Awesome! Thank you so much for the alert @bytescapes  laugh 

https://www.youtube.com/@eonsoftware  for tutorials

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • edited May 10

glaseye said:

seegvisualizations said:

I've downloaded and installed all the plant catalogi, and I can load them. In the browser, you will see all the plants that are availabld from the 'store' regardless if you installed them or not. If installed, they will load. If not, you get the option to download (buy) them. (Same goes for the Vue objects etc. in Vue)

Thanks for that. yes they Are all available now

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

At least, now that my PC can actually handle VUE, it might be finally fun to work with it. 
    Thanks a lot for making it free.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,981

When I cut & pasted the unzipped plant catalogues in Windows, & I've done all of them now, there were no overwrite warnings from Windows so that means to get the whole collection of plants you need them all as that are independant 100% from each other.

edited May 10

It's been quite a while since I've last used Vue for any substantial rendering/scene setup; so it's back to basics and relearn everyting. And I think I heard my CPU screaming when rendering this one. I think it has gotten so used to having the GPU do all the hard work that is has forgotten what it means to do the heavy lifting.....wink

X1.9_Kaga.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 953K
    Post edited by glaseye on