Vue, Plant Factory now free

Comments

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,382
    edited May 6

I started with Vue 9.5 Infinite in 2011.

Stopped using Vue some time after they shut down their marketplace Cornucopia.

Luckily, products of MartinJFrost are available in the Daz 3D store.

Thanks for the info! Downloading...

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,820

Low-key embarassed to ask, but what do Vue and PlantFactory do? blush

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,334

I have downloaded the latest version and the content. I will admit that I have little interest in the program itself, but I might use some of the content if it can be exported in a more usable format. Anyone know if all the relevant exporters are included?, and are they fairly straightforward to use?

Interesting that they are giving people the full rights to any exported content, including selling it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,112

Hylas said:

Vue is like Bryce, though it has always had nice plants. Plant factory is sued to build plants out of kits of parts - they can be procedural in Vue, or exported as baked models for other applications (using the supplied plants, and I think parts, places limits on distribution but you can make your own I believe.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,820

Richard Haseltine said:

Hylas said:

Vue is like Bryce, though it has always had nice plants. Plant factory is sued to build plants out of kits of parts - they can be procedural in Vue, or exported as baked models for other applications (using the supplied plants, and I think parts, places limits on distribution but you can make your own I believe.

Thanks! yes

• GeekatplayGeekatplay Posts: 5

I have released video tutorials about the latest version of Vue and The Plant Factory at https://www.youtube.com/@geekatplay and more coming soon.

Be sure to check www.geekatplay.com

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,981

Oh wow, if only my garden would grow so easily.

A question:the plant catalogues are listed by years. Is each new year just an small updates of the plants in prior years with some new plants added or are they always completely new plants? I would guess the 1st one with means I need to only download Plant Catalogue Collections 2023.1, 2023.2, qnd 2023.3? Is that right? Since there is no content for 2024 I think each year must be cummulative but then why does 2022 have one one content zip 2022.1? Is it's size comparable to 2023.1, 2023.2, 2023.3 when those three are added together?

• skybluerobskybluerob Posts: 0

Vue 5 was the first 3D software I used and I loved it.  I bought it along with Poser 5.  The problem at the time was that Vue was really expensive (I bought the basic espirit version), and to make it communicate with other software you had to buy the expensive infinite version or various plugins.  They then seemed to release a new yearsion every year or so, it was really too expensive for the hobbyist for what it did, so I gave up on it, the environments it created at the time were the best on the market though, much better than Bryce in my view.

A few years ago, they went to subscription which I absolutely refuse to pay for any subscription software. 

To have these for free now is absolutely amazing. They come with a large range of objects and plants, you can do a lot with it, although, going back to it now, it's not as fun to use as I remember, perhaps because I'm so used to other software but if you're into 3D, you need to get these. You can export into Daz Studio and/or export from Daz Studio ion FBX and import intto Vue.  It even imports native Poser content.  

• ValiskaValiska Posts: 71

Wow, I never expected to use Vue again. I had a full version of it many years ago and was learning it, before a big price increase I couldn't keep up with. I'm sorry it will never be updated again, though.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 545

Geekatplay said:

I have released video tutorials about the latest version of Vue and The Plant Factory at https://www.youtube.com/@geekatplay and more coming soon.

Vladimir,

Such a turn of events with Vue and Plant Factory since your Digital Art Live webinar on Saturday.  As a hobbyist, I had the last version of e-on’s free, entry level version of Vue – Vue 16 – and was able to get it activated through Bentley three years ago.  When I watched some of the things that you did during Saturday’s webinar, I knew that I would not be able to do some (most?) of it with Vue 16.  But now …

From the sizes of the zips I think they are a mix of cummulative and new. 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,571

Oh wow, thanks so much, I'd love to go try Vue once more! Stopped playing with it years ago, like many others. Is there any reason I should use the 2023 version, does anyone know?

• NathNath Posts: 2,738

tsroemi said:

Oh wow, thanks so much, I'd love to go try Vue once more! Stopped playing with it years ago, like many others. Is there any reason I should use the 2023 version, does anyone know?

2023 is the last released version; apparently 2024 is a late-stage beta version, so it might not be quite stable. The advice on the FAQ page is to run both. Also for the Plantfactory versions.

I've installed 2024 for now, and if I run into any issues I'll add 2023. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,532

Downloaded them because free, not sure how much I'll use them.

• Singular3DSingular3D Posts: 510

I also used Vue a long time ago until they were sold. Vue can be used to create landscapes as HDRI backgrounds. There was a tutorial somewhere.

When Plant Factory was released it looked quite interesting. I may use it in future.

Thanks for the information!!!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,669

It's good they provided a FAQ with lots of useful information. 

• emanuela1emanuela1 Posts: 541
    edited May 7

It seems like a useful tool and it's now free.! Thank you bytescapes for the info! :) 

Post edited by emanuela1 on
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 500

I remember starting to go through some of your tuts some years back and they were always very excellent and clear!  I found them very helpful and was planning on looking you up again so thanks for the current link.

Geekatplay said:

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,571

Nath said:

tsroemi said:

2023 is the last released version; apparently 2024 is a late-stage beta version, so it might not be quite stable. The advice on the FAQ page is to run both. Also for the Plantfactory versions.

I've installed 2024 for now, and if I run into any issues I'll add 2023. 

Thanks a lot for the clarification! Dang, I downloaded 2024 first, and then the connection went down the drain. Will try again tomorrow.
    I'm really quite excited, I'd just glimpsed my old Vue DVDs a while ago in a drawer somewhere and gotten kind of nostalgic. Thrilled to get to take a look at all that's changed since then.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Geekatplay said:

Thanks for those by the way!  Back in the day when I first came back to Vue after not using it for some years I'd try and follow tutorials on Terrain only for the results to be massively different because they changed the way the Terrain Node Graphs worked,  your videos on the matter helped a ton

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,959

Do I need to create a log in for a license/activation number?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,532

carrie58 said:

I didn't.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,773

...currently downloading all the Win files  I worked with Vue many years ago (Vue 4) and liked the quality it produced which was very close to photoreal for CPU rendering.  The one shortcoming was getting Daz characters into scenes. 

• golem841golem841 Posts: 127
    edited May 8

wolf359 said:

I Installed it last friday

the Plant Factory App is the greater value to me

Make sure you grab that.

Hi,

As for the Plant Catalog, do you know a way to get access to the downloadable species ?

thanks

(Edited by mod to pull response from quote)

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,971
    edited May 8

golem841 said:

wolf359 said:

I Installed it last friday

the Plant Factory App is the greater value to me

Make sure you grab that.

Hi,

As for the Plant Catalog, do you know a way to get access to the downloadable species ?

thanks

Click on the Plant Icon - Left Mouse Button, hold down till icon turns black.

Vue Plants 1.png
    1917 x 1038 - 775K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,938

carrie58 said:

No. The faq says the whole licensing system has been removed from all products. Press download, accept Eula, download products - that is all! 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,337

I spent a frustrating hour last night trying to follow a 15 minute tutorial on YouTube for Plant Factory.

As always, the same issues with YouTube tutorials re-appeared to bug me

• Low quality Video
    • Difficult to understand the narrator 
    • Appalling pronounciation (even closed captions thought they were saying the 'Cee Axis' - and that was a minor one of many, though it may not have been a problem if I hadn't used some software where world rotational axes are A, B & C and object local axes are U, V & W, so I was not looking for the Zed axis at all, even though it was there in front of me). 'Shown' came up on closed captions & sounded like 'Shorn', as in sheep, etc etc.
    • Narrator skipped past things done in a click of a mouse without any words spoken to make up for the inability to see what had been done, and as they used a different version, trying to guess what to use from the blurs on video compared to the sharp, different shaped, screen outline I had made life even more fun...
    • I will admit I don't speak American English. I speak English English, and I think the spoken languages are diverging over time (written less so), so I don't always understand vernacular expressions. Iz 'at clear ol' chav?

However.. Managed to get part way through producing a nice wild garlic plant and have a vague idea of A) what I was doing and B) the capability of the program.

Think it's going to be really useful.

Regards,

Richard

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

Until they switched to subscription I used Vue (up to v10) a lot, downloaded, installed and IT WORKS!

I only hope they will copntinoue supportin/upgrading it in future and not let it go stagnant.

Anyone know which PlantCatalog collections & Aditional Asset Collections you need to download?

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,337

They said it's now dead, stagnant & will not be updated.

There are lots of download packs on the download page in addition to the programs, so if you download and install everything it'll be a huge start.