CARRARA CHALLENGE #63: There be Dragons..... WIP

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,410

Diomede said:

Thanks everybody for the comments and suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Love the water dragon, Bunyip.  Thanks for the workflow. 

Thanks !!!

Diomede said:

So much more to do, but I made some more progress on my environment and terrain.  I exported the terrain map that resulted after my erosion filter, etc described above.  I used an image editor to draw opacity maps for a trail, replicators,etc.  I then creatd a new shader for the terrain and used the complex shader - layer list.  Here I have used the opacity maps to create the path to the village and tower keep.  At the moment,I just have some placeholder huts and primitives for the tower.  The hero, heroine, and dragon are included for scale.  May make the dragon bigger.  Undecided.  After i add replicated crops, etc and substitute improved buildings, I plan to do a few 360 renders to be placed in the background so that the full scene does not have to be rendered for each animation frame.  Test scene setup without plants, and screengrab of opacity maps attached.  I hope to have an opening fly through or similar.

Getting betterer each step of the journey !!!

Grimmvald said:

@Ed3d     do a search for Lisa's Botanical models.  I think some are still available as Poser content.  think the basic plants are obj's.  The textures can be copied and the colors changed to give variety to the scene. I still have a lot in my library but I've yet to download any as I just haven't got that far.  They worked in Carrara 8,  Mine are from 12 - 14 years ago.

Also if you post work any Rons Brushes have a variety of plants.  Maybe not the best foreground objects but really good for mid and far range objects.

@Bunyip03, Diomede  the encouragement is appreciated

You're welcome, looking forward to your renders !!!

ed3D said:

~.~   And Then -  the Up Tree

Nice work !!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

great to see those improvements Ted and that last render Bunyip02 is tom terrific. 

Looking forward to going up that tree ed3d

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

ha ha @Syezza just saw your comment on the duck!!

thanks @Bunyip02 and @ed3D for commenting on the renders.

Oh those bumps @Bunyip02  are just me playing with the sculpting tools in meshmizer. Feeling my way ;)

Adding textures like those really add something when it gets 3d printed.

3d Printing's been around long enough for a lot of cliches already doing the rounds - think vicky in the dungeoun with sword - but more worserer and woreserere ! Voroni has a lot to anser for for example.

@UnifiedBrain not too late for that chess set - great minds ;)

meshmizer - Do you mean Meshmixer ? - Got it installed but yet to experiment with it - is it friendly to use or will the L-plates be on for some time ?

Yet to get a 3D printer but it's on the to do list - big problem is finding room for it.....

sorry just saw this., yes meshmixer , it crashes a lot dont bother trying to do booleans , it doesnt seem to have a clay brush, which is additive, blender looks good for sculpting, 3dbuilder does a good job of making your model ready to rpint but it fills in holes like eyes that you might want to keep, so you need meshmixer to prepare the model first, its nnot user freindly sorry, pita ! 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,132
    edited August 2022

Thanks for the comments, Bunyip and Headwax.  I took a break from my animation to revisit the Silmarillion project, Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin.  Still experimenting a little.  Here, I tried to make a helm that looked more like a Spartan helm than a Roman Legion helm.  I think this one looks better.  Michael 6 trying it on for size.

tt03 dragon helm of dor lomin more like spartan.jpg
    800 x 600 - 49K
    profile view.jpg
    800 x 600 - 21K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,132
    edited August 2022

RE: dragon animation project.  Most of my recent WIPs have been about the terrain.  Here is the current status of the village.  I completed some buildings, including two kinds of huts and a stable with rope winch, milking stalls, and a hayloft.  Some minor props include a bale of hay, milking stool, and a bucket.  And our heroine has a flower wreath for her hair (replicated), and gown for a sacrafice (don't worry, she is a take charge, don't be a sacrafice kind of heroine).  Our hero has his hero uniform, pole arm, and dragon shield.

Some to-do list items include the castle keep and tower, a few extras (villagers and knights), and crops.  

Biggest to do list issue - figuring out out to animate fire in a way that fits the rest of the assets.

village assets.jpg
    2382 x 1110 - 303K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • KhoeKhoe Posts: 308
    edited August 2022

The first steps have been taken. The dragon is created. Next work is to create a landscape

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-23 um 13.50.32.png
    1358 x 1182 - 517K
    Dagon1.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 72K
    Post edited by Khoe on

Headwax said:

great to see those improvements Ted and that last render Bunyip02 is tom terrific. 

Looking forward to going up that tree ed3d

Thanks !!!

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

ha ha @Syezza just saw your comment on the duck!!

thanks @Bunyip02 and @ed3D for commenting on the renders.

Oh those bumps @Bunyip02  are just me playing with the sculpting tools in meshmizer. Feeling my way ;)

Adding textures like those really add something when it gets 3d printed.

3d Printing's been around long enough for a lot of cliches already doing the rounds - think vicky in the dungeoun with sword - but more worserer and woreserere ! Voroni has a lot to anser for for example.

@UnifiedBrain not too late for that chess set - great minds ;)

meshmizer - Do you mean Meshmixer ? - Got it installed but yet to experiment with it - is it friendly to use or will the L-plates be on for some time ?

Yet to get a 3D printer but it's on the to do list - big problem is finding room for it.....

sorry just saw this., yes meshmixer , it crashes a lot dont bother trying to do booleans , it doesnt seem to have a clay brush, which is additive, blender looks good for sculpting, 3dbuilder does a good job of making your model ready to rpint but it fills in holes like eyes that you might want to keep, so you need meshmixer to prepare the model first, its nnot user freindly sorry, pita ! 

Thanks for the comments about Meshmixer !!! I have 3DCoat for a sculpting program.

Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments, Bunyip and Headwax.  I took a break from my animation to revisit the Silmarillion project, Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin.  Still experimenting a little.  Here, I tried to make a helm that looked more like a Spartan helm than a Roman Legion helm.  I think this one looks better.  Michael 6 trying it on for size.

Getting better !!!

Diomede said:

RE: dragon animation project.  Most of my recent WIPs have been about the terrain.  Here is the current status of the village.  I completed some buildings, including two kinds of huts and a stable with rope winch, milking stalls, and a hayloft.  Some minor props include a bale of hay, milking stool, and a bucket.  And our heroine has a flower wreath for her hair (replicated), and gown for a sacrafice (don't worry, she is a take charge, don't be a sacrafice kind of heroine).  Our hero has his hero uniform, pole arm, and dragon shield.

Some to-do list items include the castle keep and tower, a few extras (villagers and knights), and crops.  

Biggest to do list issue - figuring out out to animate fire in a way that fits the rest of the assets.

Scene is filling up very nicely, am watching with interest about the fire animation !!!

Khoe said:

The first steps have been taken. The dragon is created. Next work is to create a landscape

Welcome to the Challenge fun !!!

Lovely dynamic pose on the Dragon !

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,139
    edited August 2022

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

So , how does  "one"  have all these Plants like  bushes , flowrs , grass and such  _  where these from ?? 

-  have'nt seen any extras sets  in Shop , like there is for Bryce  example : Xfrog  Packs 

or have just over-look them -   Thanx 

As has been said, vegetation from the Carrara made scenes is very useful. I exported my Bryce Xfrog packs as obj and imported them into Carrara. I also had a number of Xfrog freebies that I imported into Carrara.

Do a search for Plants in the DAZ3D shop :- https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=plants

Poser plants, some of the offerings at Rendo ain't cheap, I usually buy when there's a sale on.

Lisas_Botanicals - Rendo

Flink - Rendo

ShaaraMuse3D - Rendo - has environment sets that include vegetation

Dinoraul - Rendo

There are also a number of plant programs, one I used was ngPlant - http://ngplant.org/

I loaded the extras from Models, exported as obj and imported into Carrara

_  Thanx Very Much  _    have  the Bryce Xfrog packs ( all  3 )
      &  just took that  Xfrog freebies , where an Example/Trial/Demo  kind of thing  -
    Did an search for Plants in the DAZ3D shop, But only looked for Carrara 

&  has reminded ,  to look Also for D-Studio ; so , i did :  (  have some  & some that  are iRays )
    the only plant programs have looked at are  Bryce ,  Carrara  &  e-on Vue ( have'nt used any Plants Only ones ) does'nt seem lik anyways

_   seems lik there was a coupl of  Blender add-ons  ,  but did'nt  really look at them too much  + 

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited August 2022

Thanx so kindly

Bunyip02  said:  Nice work !!!
    Headwax said:  Looking forward to going up that tree ed3d

,  but look at the Entry for the Tree one   &  have 3 Entered  yes

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited August 2022

next step more Plants and Atmo

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-23 um 14.01.46.png
    806 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Khoe on

ed3D said:

Thanx so kindly

Excellent !!!

Khoe said:

Scene is filling up very well !!! Are you using Carrara vegetation or other ?

Bunyip02 said:

Khoe said:

I use a lot of plants from Carrara here are only the trees which have thorns on the trunk from the Daz Packet Prehistoric Plants. Carrara's plant editor is great once you get the hang of it. :). the supplied trees have to be adjusted first because they are much too small (3-5 years old, so let them grow. Trunk thicker and longer and more branches then adjust the size of the leaves.) 

Central Business District for Carrara

And this does'nt install gives an error  _ Thanx 

Screenshot C8.5-ERROR(1).png
    957 x 523 - 25K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Yes, those DIM prompts are confusing to me as well.

Probably better to install the product manually.  It has two main folders - Presets and Scenes - which can be merged into the Carrara program folders with the same names..

When that is done, you still need to go to your Carrara browser window and add the PhilW folder to your scenes menu.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited August 2022

Part 3 - Haute Couture in Lizardland

What did you expect, alligator purses and snakeskin boots? smiley  These are civilized lizards, not cannibals.

The character is a kitbash of V4, Dragon Folk, and a second skin product (retextured) from Rendo.  The tail ornament is a modifier applied to a Carrara primitive.

The runway bulbs are a Carrara basic object, rezoned with different shaders, and topped  with a bulb using a light sphere effect (thanks to Wendy for the suggestion).

Carrara text is such a blessing!  There is probably not a single Carrara tool that I value more.

No postwork.

Part 3 - Haute Couture in Lizardland.png
    1200 x 1497 - 3M
    Part 3 Carrara setup.JPG
    1406 x 955 - 276K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

UnifiedBrain said:

Probably better to install the product manually.  It has two main folders - Presets and Scenes - which can be merged into the Carrara program folders with the same names..

When that is done, you still need to go to your Carrara browser window and add the PhilW folder to your scenes menu.

~.~   And Thanx very much  _  manuall  install  >  instatlled right in  _   just need to see this   " the individual buildings bit "   and how  its'  done +

+ and the First Renders  -

Doc1CTRL-BUS-DIST-1-b.png
    1280 x 720 - 472K

UnifiedBrain said:

What did you expect, alligator purses and snakeskin boots? smiley  These are civilized lizards, not cannibals.

The character is a kitbash of V4, Dragon Folk, and a second skin product (retextured) from Rendo.  The tail ornament is a modifier applied to a Carrara primitive.

The runway bulbs are a Carrara basic object, rezoned with different shaders, and topped  with a bulb using a light sphere effect (thanks to Wendy for the suggestion).

Carrara text is such a blessing!  There is probably not a single Carrara tool that I value more.

No postwork.

>  very well done here + 

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

Thanx so kindly

Excellent !!!

//   alrite then  ,  Thanx  -    

Khoe said:

Bunyip02 said:

Khoe said:

I use a lot of plants from Carrara here are only the trees which have thorns on the trunk from the Daz Packet Prehistoric Plants. Carrara's plant editor is great once you get the hang of it. :). the supplied trees have to be adjusted first because they are much too small (3-5 years old, so let them grow. Trunk thicker and longer and more branches then adjust the size of the leaves.) 

I normally use Howie Farke's or TangoAlpha's trees, sometimes play with Carrara's plant editor.

UnifiedBrain said:

No postwork.

Looking great, captures a magazine cover very nicely !!!

ed3D said:

UnifiedBrain said:

~.~   And Thanx very much  _  manuall  install  >  instatlled right in  _   just need to see this   " the individual buildings bit "   and how  its'  done +

+ and the First Renders  -

Glad you got it sorted !!! Nightime Dragon flame attack by chance ?

edited August 2022

Dragon is landed und mutch more plants insert. Next step make Lighting

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-25 um 12.02.47.png
    987 x 1055 - 2M
    Post edited by Khoe on