off topic thread

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,419

Dartanbeck said:

Oh no!!! Sorry to hear that. Please take good care of you heart

Hope your health gets better Wendy !!!!!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,064
    edited February 2021

diet and exercise should help, a fatty liver not great but avoiding foods that make it worse is possible, otherwise I should taste good with fava beans.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I am really warming up to Anything Glows for all my lights using the Carrara engine.

object glow or light colour with Vertex and shadowbuffer it's really fast and gives a very real effect

just the pain of naming them all to match my models which needs a unique name each one

so far just using numbers added

transmaps are the enemy so my flames all Carrara fire primitives now too'

transparency is fast as long as no texture map 

so corneas etc no maps

eyelashes need to be hair

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am really warming up to Anything Glows for all my lights using the Carrara engine.

object glow or light colour with Vertex and shadowbuffer it's really fast and gives a very real effect

just the pain of naming them all to match my models which needs a unique name each one

so corneas etc no maps

I haven't used anything glows for a finished project in a while.  I have experiemnted a little in unfinished scenes.  In general, I have been using the indirect light / super glow channel method.  Given that I don't have a complete project for this month's challenge, maybe I will use some AG lights.  Thanks for the tips on texture maps and render times.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am really warming up to Anything Glows for all my lights using the Carrara engine.

so corneas etc no maps

I haven't used anything glows for a finished project in a while.  I have experiemnted a little in unfinished scenes.  In general, I have been using the indirect light / super glow channel method.  Given that I don't have a complete project for this month's challenge, maybe I will use some AG lights.  Thanks for the tips on texture maps and render times.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331
    edited February 2021

Similar Diomede, it's been ages since I've used Anything Glows.

Cool that you bring that up, Wendy! I'm really kinda into trying out things that I either haven't used, or haven't used in a while. Primivol has been one, and I love it! It makes some pretty cool animated flames!

I truly hve to beware of anything that doesn't play friendly with transparency, because I really rely on it a Lot!!!  

Remember products like Fairy Goth Mother and all of the cool texture packs for morphing fantasy dress? They make big use of transmaps to completely change the look of an outfit. Even since I bought some of those and checked out how they work (yep - total noob back then!) I've been hopping into an image editor and creating custom transmaps ever since.

So it was a big issue with volumetric effects, including effects that might not be true volumes - like fog and such. That's when I also discovered that, if I keep the volumetric effects away from the transmaps (behind or in front) I could still render them - they just couldn't intersect. Not sure if this trick works 'across the board' with everything that doesn't play well with trans, however.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'm havin a wacjt problem dont understand

i freshly downloaded some old shader packs.  for some reason the dp veloute shader presets are only giving me plain red difuse, tried several different ones.  i dont remember them not working like this.  what could it possibly be?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,064
    edited February 2021

Unreal Metahuman be like

so many bones on head surprise

lol.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 235K
    bones.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 245K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

i dont understand the distinction between grouping and parenting.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227

Mystiarra said:

i dont understand the distinction between grouping and parenting.

Grouping is just a convenience to organize the list of items in the project, but the items still move independently.  Parenting causes the parented item to move with the parent.  I think ... 

• Hierarchy

Group all is parented ( a child of) a group which is a sort of a null

Parented things are a child of another thing so scaling etc affects the children differently

Right. Example:

If we scale a Group, we scale the whole group.

If we scale a parent, only the parent gets scaled.

But there's also more to it than that.

I use groups all the time in Carrara, so when I was experimenting with DS (still am), I didn't like how, when I drop open Rosie's hierarcy, there's the whole list of all of her conforming items along with. In Carrara, I simply make a Clothing Group, so there's only the one line in the list. So I tried doing that in DS. Nope. It de-conforms everything.

grouping a camera to a figure is better than parenting camera?

just noticed Moyra stuff at other store

• grouped it won't follow the figure

the real fur for big cat, mil cat are gone from store.  not seeing a product page link

i guess that vendor won't be making carrara fur the gorill ill ill la.  was hoping kong movie might inspire furryness angel

• Mystiarra said:

the real fur for big cat, mil cat are gone from store.  not seeing a product page link

i guess that vendor won't be making carrara fur the gorill ill ill la.  was hoping kong movie might inspire furryness angel

Milcat use Holly Wetcircuit's I am trying to find a link

Thanks.  not really interested in the cat fur,
    was interested if they had a gorilla fur.

The secrets to mesh hair is prolly a trade secret.

oh.  duh.  dont highlight 'actor' when applying pose preset, highlight figure name

do bones have to be touching each other?

for example, turning a room into a figure.  does the wall bone have to be touching the floor bone, or can the bones float, tiny ,in midcenter of the wall, like  ?

only cuz i want to be able to drop a shader ball on the whole room at once.

thanks.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227

WendyLuvsCatz said:

grouped it [the camera] won't follow the figure

Yes.  But a feature I like is "Point At" so the camera tracks the item, but does not move unless you add motion.  A typical case is a Flyby of a plane or similar.

•  

• How beautiful Wendy... thanks for sharing.

i thought those were real cats for a moment.  render cats smiley

Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

grouped it [the camera] won't follow the figure

Yes.  But a feature I like is "Point At" so the camera tracks the item, but does not move unless you add motion.  A typical case is a Flyby of a plane or similar.

mebbe parent a group of cameras to like a room? 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited February 2021

Ack, gif won't display  Get well soon! Will you get medication to sort it? heart Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • SileneUK said:

Ack, gif won't display  Get well soon! Will you get medication to sort it? heart Silene

Diet and exercise

actually good news,

the initial bloodwork suggested Multiple Myeloma or Leukemia but bone Xrays of all my bones ruled that out

the Liver was the other cause and could have been hepatitis or an autoimmune disease

Fatty Liver is manageable

remember ab00 23 ?

Mystiarra said:

grouping a camera to a figure is better than parenting camera?

just noticed Moyra stuff at other store

I suggest to Not parent the camera to the character except for the reasons of checking for things - a working view camera, not a render camera. I'll parent a camera to the head, for example, so that I can use that camera to check expressions and such - or perhaps the hand, if the hand needs to do something important throughout an animation.

But when I used to parent my Filming (rendering) camera to the character, the results are Not Good!!!

To easily have a camera follow a character, I suggest (and do this all the time) the same techique I use for the light rig in my Character Template:

1. Create a target helper object and name it something like "Follower", and place it where you want the camera to follow (like the character's head, for example)
    2. Set the camera where you want it, then parent it to the target helper you've just placed.
    3. Now make a new target helper and name it something like "Head Target". These names just help me with the example - name them anything you like.
    4. Select the Follower, then Ctrl + Select the Head Target, then Ctrl K (Edit > Align) and select all three axis in the dialog and click Okay.
    5. Now parent the Head Target to the head of the character.

After all of that, the Head Target will follow the head of the character - it's parented to it. 

To follow that, select Head Target first, then Ctrl + Select the Follower and, anywhere along the timeline, go Ctrl + K (Edit Align) which will snap the Follower to the position of the Head Target. It's handy because we don't have to select all of the axis when aligning to get different results - if we want.

So for a smooth animation, we can align the follower once in the first frame and once more in the last. Boom. But if we need to follow more precisely, start with the beginning and end, and then again at various points along the timeline where the follower (and camera) end up where we don't want it. Just align it again.

For the light rig, I often align it at every second of animation.

i like head and hand cameras. enlightened

isusally do the 0 zoom with the director ca, but gets unweildly with multiple chars.

experimental question

can the glow channel make something into a surface light emitter?

Mystiarra said:

i like head and hand cameras. enlightened

isusally do the 0 zoom with the director ca, but gets unweildly with multiple chars.

experimental question

can the glow channel make something into a surface light emitter?

Yes. You need to turn on Indirect Lighting in the render room. In the shader, multply what you would normally put in the glow channel by Value 1-1000 and set the value to anything over 100 to get it to cast light.

This discussion has been closed.