off topic thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135

Oh no!  I'm sure it will be OK but it is so hard not to worry oneself to death.  I had something similar happen to me at a gas station.  The convenience store had an ATM cash dispensing machine.  It ate my card.  It was a big hassle but everything did eventually get sorted out.  Hoping for the best for you.  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,069
    edited June 2020

I am surprised ATM's run Windows of any flavour TBH

would have expected Linux, even Google uses it

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited June 2020

I am surprised ATM's run Windows of any flavour TBH

would have expected Linux, even Google uses it

I know, but Windows 7???   I don't know if they still do, but the US military onboard jets used Windows software. I remember a CNN piece on this a few years ago. This article below is really scary....   surprise  Silene

https://slate.com/technology/2018/06/why-the-military-cant-quit-windows-xp.html

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

woes. my win10  online pc did a hard shutdown.  power flickeered, ups failed.

now it won't wifi and the audio not working.  woes crying  sfc utility not fixing it

edited June 2020
    Mystiarra said:

woes. my win10  online pc did a hard shutdown.  power flickeered, ups failed.

now it won't wifi and the audio not working.  woes crying  sfc utility not fixing it

Yikes!   Bring back W7.  It worked fine when supported!!!  cool SIlene

edited June 2020

I put my Win7 in my bedroom now

stupidly didn't download my PC+ stash first on ethernet

on Wifi it is as  s l o w.   a s.   m o l a s s e s! 2-3Mb/s at most

Win10 still hardwired to the modem 40Mb/s DIM 

yayy win 7

i ordered another cheap i5 refurb. only 150.  good enough gor an internet pc.  no way i'm wi fi ing my win7.

stoopid win10 can't keep that stoopid groove from re installing itself.

gonna have to reinstall the carrara and plugins again.  last week i used bandicam to save the iron maiden videos from utoob. smiley thats asy to port over.
    i cant get the sound to work on the fried pc.  windows audio service wont start. something about dependencies.

the startup recovery not working.  right now trying the uninstall of recent quality updates.  disabling automatic updates on win10 doesn't seem to work.  groove doesn't have an uninstall option.  has to be manuallu dpme.

oh for the good old DOS days when xcopy could transfer an app

the elder scrolls d/l took like 2 days. will have to do that again.  >pout<

boning a hose

a repair insrall of win10 fixed my pc woes.  

3 weeks to cataract surgery on r eye.  5 weeks til left.  then back to carrara.  wheee

Mystiarra said:

3 weeks to cataract surgery on r eye.  5 weeks til left.  then back to carrara.  wheee

Oh I envy you... my cataract surgery likely won't start up till September now. I have to go to the eye hospital for mine. Ugh... wish I could go 'local' but not if I want the same surgeon as who did my corneal work. He'd golden, so worth the wait.

Still... YOU ARE SO LUCKY, and deserve it!!  heartyes  Silene

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    SileneUK said:
    Mystiarra said:

Oh I envy you... my cataract surgery likely won't start up till September now. I have to go to the eye hospital for mine. Ugh... wish I could go 'local' but not if I want the same surgeon as who did my corneal work. He'd golden, so worth the wait.

Blessings to Misty and Silene!

May your eyes shine.

and see all the dust and fingerprints cheeky

Damn the YouTube commentx again, I wish I was a smart genius like the trolls that keep informing me of how retarded I am.

Diomede said:
    SileneUK said:
    Mystiarra said:

May your eyes shine.

thanks smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331

boning a hose

yes Nice Work!!!

edited June 2020

I thought Win7 no longer had any updates, I have had something everytime I start my old PC including today

added Microsoft Edge but I could not get off the start page or close it, there was something hidden, a dialogue box maybe by the tone I needed to click so had to bring up my desktop and task manager to close it

it has all my Chrome bookmarks I see and I am even signed into Facebook ...and gasp the DAZ Forum!

Chrome gave me a popup

Capture.JPG
    399 x 255 - 33K
    Mystiarra said:
    Diomede said:
    SileneUK said:
    Mystiarra said:

May your eyes shine.

thanks smiley

Gosh, Wendy, I will have to start up my husband's laptop to see that.   

My computer tekkie guy suggested I could use my W7 machine online if I only used Chrome and Gmail and did not download any attachments from email.  Is that really an option???   I have another email from our ISP that husband uses, and can get there from this machine. What I really need that machine for is Dreamweaver that's on there so I can update husband's old school website. Hmmm.

Diomede....  +1 kiss  Silene

yeah think they are still semi supporting it reluctantly without publicising it

That may have just been an update for Edge, but not Win 7 itself(?)

I must say, with my new beefier machine Windows 10 rocks

That may have just been an update for Edge, but not Win 7 itself(?)

I never had Edge on Win7

also there was a security update the other day

edited June 2020

OK, while I have you expert Carrarians here in this thread.... can someone tell me if it is possible to sort your folders under a browser tab alphabetically without removing all folders and then adding them in that order? 

EG, take the Shaders tab.  Under there the different folders seem to appear in the order you add them using the buttom system over on the right.  I looked at the wizard.txt file and they are in the correct alphabetical order there, but yeah... those are only instructions to include the folders, not how to sort them.

Same thing happens within the info.txt files for each shader folder. Even if I have the shaders sorted alphabetically in each folder, when I ask the buttom over on the right to create an index file, it just seems to do it any old way... sort of. Could it be when the shaders were actually created or purchased? I really do not want to remove and then re-add all these shader folders just to get them in alpha order under the Shaders tab. It would also be nice to have the shaders in each folder sorted as well so they appear in order across the preview pane.  Is there a way to get them to do this ?   

Not being OCD, I just have trouble remembering what I have.  indecision  Silene

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,006

short answer - nope frown

but you can hack the preferences file if you don't end up confused with all the jargon and cut and paste it all into alphabetical order... crying

make a backup first of your preferences file before getting stuck into it though lol

Stezza said:

short answer - nope frown

but you can hack the preferences file if you don't end up confused with all the jargon and cut and paste it all into alphabetical order... crying

make a backup first of your preferences file before getting stuck into it though lol

Where is the preferences file?  I am not on my big machine this morning, but where to look for it?  Thanks... if it's not too intimidating for my vision and brain. 

surprise  Silene

There is another way - well, if all of your shaders' folders are in the same place.

I discovered this when I installed Carrara on my new machine. I already had all of my shaders on the drive I wanted them on from my previous machine - so instead of installing Carrara Native Content, I just added the shaders folder into my shaders tab (and the same with everything else).

So now instead of having all of the categories up right away, I get to the shaders tab to see My Shaders followed by Shaders. Click "Shaders" and everything is in alphabetical order, even if I add something new.

I know you asked for a way 'without' adding folders over again... but....

So to do this for an existing install of Carrara, you'd have to go through a one-time PITA session of removing all of the folders, and then just adding the one: 

Drive > Program Files > DAZ 3D > Carrara8.5 > Presets > and then add the Shaders folder 

Within it will be all of the shaders categories in alphabetical order. Like I said: even if you add new folders afterward.

was experimenting with the create index option for the tray.  couldnt detect what it does exactly. was guessing info.txt but it looks the same after.

2 weeks and 3 days.
    was reading peppermint oil helps ibs.  was looking for i fthe tens units truly help anything
    found Alita on amazon prive video.  smileyand Anita Swede in the search hits
    not finding news on a deadpool 3 or antman3 or dr strange 2

Hi Dart,  OK got there in the end. Thank you. heart There was no substitution for hard graft, though.

I did have to remove all folders and re-add them in their correct order. I also found that I had to REMOVE the old infos.txt files in each shader folder that I had sorted alphabetically and then I UPDATED the folder using the button on the right and they sorted properly then.  After that I made a new infos.txt file.  I did have a couple of shader folders that were full of shaders that were in their own folders. For those I had to manually make the wizard file.   I hope that the infos and wizard actually do something useful!!!

cool  SIlene

SileneUK said:

I hope that the infos and wizard actually do something useful!!!

cool  SIlene

LOL!!! I hope so too! surprise

breakfast servedsmiley  dig in

I want to render the Carrara Wizard now.

I imagine him as Gandalf when he was young and in a hair band

This discussion has been closed.