off topic thread

Comments

• 3drendero said:
    If 2 different GPUs have an issue in the same port, it may be hardware issue in that port. If you have other free PCIx port that may be smaller, a riser/adapter may get your GPU running on another port. Example riser 4x to 16x: https://www.newegg.com/p/17Z-00PR-034F7

Well my PC is apparently stuffed graphics wise as my 760 is now blackscreening too.

Carrara renders beautifully on it with the CPU as does DAZ studio even with iray CPU as fast as it did GPU on this card, just cannot use my graphics card at all now.

I am thinking of buying just a cheap Windows 10 PC with as good a Nvidia card as I can get and separating my processes, this one is still very good but not for Octane, Flowscape, iClone etc, I can use 3Delight in a pinch on it and Poser Firefly etc too as well as Bryce, Mandelbulber, Blender not GPU.

3drendero said:
    If 2 different GPUs have an issue in the same port, it may be hardware issue in that port. If you have other free PCIx port that may be smaller, a riser/adapter may get your GPU running on another port. Example riser 4x to 16x: https://www.newegg.com/p/17Z-00PR-034F7

Well my PC is apparently stuffed graphics wise as my 760 is now blackscreening too.

Carrara renders beautifully on it with the CPU as does DAZ studio even with iray CPU as fast as it did GPU on this card, just cannot use my graphics card at all now.

I am thinking of buying just a cheap Windows 10 PC with as good a Nvidia card as I can get and separating my processes, this one is still very good but not for Octane, Flowscape, iClone etc, I can use 3Delight in a pinch on it and Poser Firefly etc too as well as Bryce, Mandelbulber, Blender not GPU.

Is OK I figured out the issue on thaf card at least

I am running my monitors one off the card the other off the Motherboard and simply swapping which one was which enabled my inbuilt graphics to be used more for things that were putting it over my 2GB limit

it only crashed majorly over doing it unlike the other one, the worry is the fact  they don't recover and I still think thats a software driver related issue, I actually have iClone for example running off my intel graphics better than the damned 760 it's actually almost 2GB too!

I have no spare slot

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Another option if you have an Intel system, is a Thunderbolt PCIx card and then use an eGPU, external GPU... But a used workstation will cost the same.
  • Still not heard back on my 980ti since a free quote they won't hurry

they are very busy at that shop as it is

if it's stuffed that is my answer if not then I need my PC looked at

• 3drendero said:

Just watched an video on the free Octane render plugin for it

its certainly a great alternative way to render stuff and Carrara exports to it quite well

• I think I should just give up rendering cat animations after seeing this one by an animation student on YouTube

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227

I think I should just give up rendering cat animations after seeing this one by an animation student on YouTube

Very impressive.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,066
    edited September 2019

my 760 just cut out altogether so if I hear back from the computer shop my 980ti is OK I might just try and buy myself a decent computer with a nice clockspeed lots of RAM and Windows 10  to whack it in.

This one works OK off the intel graphics but I need Nvidia for Octane

having the card will save me a fair bit on a new computer and hopefully solve any future problems, just a bit sooner than I intended

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited September 2019

Well my 980ti is working so I bought this for them to shove it in to

AMD Ryzen 3 3200g 4core AM4 3.6GHz Vega
    Gigabyte B450M S2H AMD Motherboard AM4 2xDDR4 4xSATA 1XM.2 USB3.1 (GA-B450-S2H)
    Crucial DDR4 8GB (1x8GB SR) 2666MHz UDIMM CL19 RAM (CT8G4DFS8266]
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM SATAIII 6GB/s 256MB Cache Hard Drive
    Corsair Carbide Series 88R Micro Tower Case with Window
    Corsair VS450 450w VS V2 80+
    Windoze10 home 64bit yeah home so what it will do only had home 7 on other one anyway 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,422

Windoze10 home 64bit yeah home so what it will do only had home 7 on other one anyway 

Hope it get's you up and running again !!!

edited September 2019

Hope it get's you up and running again !!!

Well with Octane 

the PC I have is actually perfectly good for Carrara engine renders thats why I was not to worried about building a CPU renderbeast for my Card and Octane 

I will use both rigs for different things, most if not all my music and fractal programs will stay on my existing one with a copy of Carrara and Poser and  Zbrush likely as well because I model and create in those whereas the other will be a GPU rendering and gaming machine.

This machine is not as good as the one I have for CPU stuff, it's just something to run my Graphics Card basically.

Octane never used much of my CPU just my RAM and I can upgrade that later if needed, I might not be rendering Howie Farkes scenes on it though but thats why I still will use this one cheeky

edited September 2019

Another Windows suckdate and my sound is now not working

got sound back but lost Realtek soundblaster by looks and my 4.1 surround sound, only stereo on two speakers 

• Grab Laticis freebies while you can, he is closing his DA tomorrow I saw

https://www.deviantart.com/laticis/gallery/40614161/laticis-freebies

We just watched the first episode of season four of "The Bridge" (the Danish/Swedish series, 8.6 at IMDB).  The first three seasons were available on Region 1 DVD's (North America), but apparently they decided that season four would be Region 2 only (Europe).  So ... I bought a "region-free" DVD player, works fine.  After the episode, my wife said, "Way better than US TV".  I agree.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/

• Steve K said:

We just watched the first episode of season four of "The Bridge" (the Danish/Swedish series, 8.6 at IMDB).  The first three seasons were available on Region 1 DVD's (North America), but apparently they decided that season four would be Region 2 only (Europe).  So ... I bought a "region-free" DVD player, works fine.  After the episode, my wife said, "Way better than US TV".  I agree.

Some DVD players have a secret unlock code you can enter with the remote.

Steve K said:

Some DVD players have a secret unlock code you can enter with the remote.

Yes, but from the little research I did, that only works a small number of times.  In any case, "region free" works for me.  I was actually shopping for a CD player, since my old one was getting glitchy.  Not as easy as you might think since CD's are apparently becoming obsolete - Target and Walmart have discontinued them, I think.  The DVD "region free" feature sold me.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    Steve K said:

Serious Murdoch Noir LOL!!!   Scandi/Nordic Noir is HUGE over here... my BIL is addicted to it.   Husband and me are more into nature and science programmes, but we will have to do something to fill the void left by Big Bang's ending.  cheeky  Silene

Steve K said:

Serious Murdoch Noir LOL!!!   Scandi/Nordic Noir is HUGE over here... my BIL is addicted to it.   Husband and me are more into nature and science programmes, but we will have to do something to fill the void left by Big Bang's ending.  cheeky  Silene

I guess its not so huge in the US since they decided to not put out Season 4 in Region 1 format (like the first three seasons).  But it should be, great stuff.  My wife usually watches shows from the couch while playing games on her iPad.  For "The Bridge", she puts down the iPad and pulls a chair close to the TV.

cool

We rely on the English subtitles, but I was curious about the language, are we missing something about Danish vs. Swedish?  From the "Independent":

"The show is fully bilingual: The Bridge is both Bron (Swedish) and Broen (Danish). Part of the joke of the series is that the Danes speak Danish and the Swedes speak Swedish and they pretend to understand one another. 'It’s a fiction,' said Rosenfeldt. 'If we did it properly half the show would be taken up by people going ‘What?’. '   If you take a Dane and a Swede and put them in a room together, they’ll listen to one another for about 30 seconds and then throw up their hands and switch to English.' The subtitles are useful for Scandinavian natives too, not just English-speaking audiences."

• I learn a new thing every day

Carrara imports DAZ LIE presets as layers

often you need to drag the texture up a level as its mixed with a black value but the structure is there

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,422

I learn a new thing every day

Carrara imports DAZ LIE presets as layers

often you need to drag the texture up a level as its mixed with a black value but the structure is there

Thanks for the tip Wendy !

edited September 2019

Not sure where to post this... is DAZ permanently not going to sponsor challenges any longer?  Carrarians still buy products. I don't have time to participate to the learning is pricesless. Don't want the entrants, even if many of the same ones, to stop creating.  What do to about this?  Is there a thread someplace to discuss?  I only saw it in the latest challenge WIP thread.

frown  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

I guess its not so huge in the US since they decided to not put out Season 4 in Region 1 format (like the first three seasons).  But it should be, great stuff.  My wife usually watches shows from the couch while playing games on her iPad.  For "The Bridge", she puts down the iPad and pulls a chair close to the TV.

cool

We rely on the English subtitles, but I was curious about the language, are we missing something about Danish vs. Swedish?  From the "Independent":

"The show is fully bilingual: The Bridge is both Bron (Swedish) and Broen (Danish). Part of the joke of the series is that the Danes speak Danish and the Swedes speak Swedish and they pretend to understand one another. 'It’s a fiction,' said Rosenfeldt. 'If we did it properly half the show would be taken up by people going ‘What?’. '   If you take a Dane and a Swede and put them in a room together, they’ll listen to one another for about 30 seconds and then throw up their hands and switch to English.' The subtitles are useful for Scandinavian natives too, not just English-speaking audiences."

I have Norweigian friends and they can understand the Swedes pretty much, but they speak to each other in their own language. Danish is much easier for them as Norway was once under Danish control.  Much difference is in the spelling and pronouciaton.

I have had to adjust from US English to UK English, not a big deal at all.... but I do find that understanding South African English a bit of a challenge, but it is mostly because of the use of different words for different things and the rythym of the speech. The structure is similar.

What say you Ozzies and Kiwis????

That was from several people who are now in their 60s.   yes  Silene

https://www.tripsavvy.com/similarities-of-the-scandinavian-languages-1626432

• Got my new PC but cannot get second monitor to work either on the card or motherboard 

I wanted to use the onboard graphics for monitors and keep my card for rendering with Octane etc but it won't use the motherboard output at all, tried looking in the BIOS like I did my other PC but not finding an option to use both.

Not installed DAZ stuffs yet, just downloading and installing Twinmotion from Epic games for tonight.

DAZ instal manager will be a right pain I just know it devil

as no intention of redownloading all my stuffs, are on an external zips too so will just plug that in and try to get those manifest files to see it

not tonight 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133

Not sure where to post this... is DAZ permanently not going to sponsor challenges any longer?  Carrarians still buy products. I don't have time to participate to the learning is pricesless. Don't want the entrants, even if many of the same ones, to stop creating.  What do to about this?  Is there a thread someplace to discuss?  I only saw it in the latest challenge WIP thread.

frown  Silene

After challenge 47, the challenge coordinator received an email from a Daz employee stating that Daz would not support the Carrara challenges anymore.  The coordinator of 47 shared the bad news in a message with several frequent coordinators, including me as coordinator of 48.  As fas as I know, the Daz employee who delivered the bad news was not our traditional contact at Daz.  As far as I know, the bad news emal included a phrase to the effect that Daz would re-evaluate challenges.  As far as I know, Daz has not dropped support of other challenges (New User, PC Club, or Bryce).  Perhaps Daz will resume support after the period of re-evaluation, perhaps not.  

I did not receive the email from Daz.  If I got any of the details wrong, someone please correct me.

• My new PC was hitting a crazy 95°C was rather concerned.

noticed a stray cable through the perspex window on the side of the case.

It was for my CPU fan.

My eyesight, cheap reading glasses and a torch I eventually located the little pins labled CPU fan on the motherboard in minsicle print!

It should run better now. yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2019

frown  Silene

Stay tuned.  Hopefully will have a clearer picture - one way or the other - by the end of the week.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

cool

I have Norweigian friends and they can understand the Swedes pretty much, but they speak to each other in their own language. Danish is much easier for them as Norway was once under Danish control.  Much difference is in the spelling and pronouciaton.

I have had to adjust from US English to UK English, not a big deal at all.... but I do find that understanding South African English a bit of a challenge, but it is mostly because of the use of different words for different things and the rythym of the speech. The structure is similar.

What say you Ozzies and Kiwis????

That was from several people who are now in their 60s.   yes  Silene

https://www.tripsavvy.com/similarities-of-the-scandinavian-languages-1626432

So, do the Scots really have trouble with voice activated elevators?  (courtesy of BBC Scotland)  

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

have you ever heard the difference between Glaswegian english and Edinburgh english

edited September 2019
    Chohole said:

have you ever heard the difference between Glaswegian english and Edinburgh english

I can understand Glaswegian fine as long as they complete the whole sentence so it can 'sink' in... all that bletherin' and blatherin'.  I have more trouble talking to my friend in South Shields, so we text a lot LOL... Geordie is very difficult for me and she is deep deep Geordie!  (No, our PhilW has a lovely gentle Northern accent... otherwise I would not have gotten through his tutorial vids!!!).  Still love watching and learning from them. 

Whenever I hear a Welsh accent, I can't believe my husband ever had one... he left when he was 18 for Bristol, but never picked up a Bristolian one... (which sort of sounds like a Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay accent as there is a connection via immigration in the 18-19th centuries).

Anyway, some fun words below!   Am taking some meds for my back, so forgive the prattle. I have to be able to withstand a 7 hour flight on Sunday. crying

cheeky Silene

https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/geordie-dictionary-a-b/

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Chohole said:

I can understand Glaswegian fine as long as they complete the whole sentence so it can 'sink' in... all that bletherin' and blatherin'.  I have more trouble talking to my friend in South Shields, so we text a lot LOL... Geordie is very difficult for me and she is deep deep Geordie!  (No, our PhilW has a lovely gentle Northern accent... otherwise I would not have gotten through his tutorial vids!!!).  Still love watching and learning from them. 

Whenever I hear a Welsh accent, I can't believe my husband ever had one... he left when he was 18 for Bristol, but never picked up a Bristolian one... (which sort of sounds like a Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay accent as there is a connection via immigration in the 18-19th centuries).

Anyway, some fun words below!   Am taking some meds for my back, so forgive the prattle. I have to be able to withstand a 7 hour flight on Sunday. crying

cheeky Silene

https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/geordie-dictionary-a-b/

My best friend (friends since school days) is married to a geordie, so I got used to it. (She is half welsh but grew up in England so never had any accent, like me)  Welsh accents are another that would probably confuse voice recognition software as ther are so many differences even between say for instance Cardiff and the Valleys (South Wales).  West Wales and North Wales also have their own accents.

This discussion has been closed.