off topic thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133
    edited September 2019

As an American raised in the northeast but having spent much time in the South, I really appreciated My Cousin Vinny.  I've always wondered if other speakers of English thought it was as funny as I did.  Here is one of my favorite scenes.  

Post edited by Diomede on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971

That WAS funny!!  devil  Silene

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I don't usually have much problem with most British accents (although very strong Belfast / Glasgow / Geordie accents can throw a wobbly). Occasional words in American can confuse me until I've figured the context (for example "shone" often sounds exactly like "shown"). But Kiwi is the worst in my experience for perfectly intelligible words that sound like something totally different.

And I gather downunder they regard a "ute" as some kind of vehicle.... laugh

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227
    Diomede said:
    Steve K said:
    Steve K said:

So, do the Scots really have trouble with voice activated elevators?  (courtesy of BBC Scotland)  

Really funny stuff ... mostly because we've all been through something like that.  angry

A friend told a story about his New York brother visiting Houston, and they went off to Beaumont to visit an old friend.  Beaumont is on the east border of Texas, just into Cajun country.  They stopped at a gas station and our friend told his brother to go ask directions.  When the brother comes back, our friend asked, "What did they say?"  Brother: "Beats me, I couldn't understand a word".  Here's a short example of Cajun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oScmodG_riM

• Steve K said:

A friend told a story about his New York brother visiting Houston, and they went off to Beaumont to visit an old friend.  Beaumont is on the east border of Texas, just into Cajun country.  They stopped at a gas station and our friend told his brother to go ask directions.  When the brother comes back, our friend asked, "What did they say?"  Brother: "Beats me, I couldn't understand a word".  Here's a short example of Cajun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oScmodG_riM

Oddly enough I understood every word

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,006

And I gather downunder they regard a "ute" as some kind of vehicle.... laugh

doesn't everone?

bugger me! wink

Steve K said:

Oddly enough I understood every word

So did I, but I'm not sure I could understand the New York brother.  From the novel "Mash: A Novel About Three Army Doctors" by Richard Hooker (the basis for the movie & TV show):

(Two Army Medical Officers, one from New York, arrive in a truck at the camp gate.  A sentry addresses them)

Sentry: Garrada Dere.

Non-New York Officer:  What did he say?

New York Officer:  He said he's from Brooklyn, and he would like us to exit this vehicle.

I see Rendo's Poser is now available and updated... 

sigh

too bad Daz3d don't update Carrara broken heart

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited September 2019

OK, one more anecdote about US/UK English.  Here the index finger is call the forefinger.   Husband is not a US citizen, so when we used to be able to fly direct to Newark from Bristol, it was always great fun.   The first time the infra-red finger reader thingy came along for us was there at Newark. The officer asked him, in a voice very much like My Cousin Vinnie, to

Put your forefinger on the screen.

Husband puts his index finger on the screen.

FOREFINGER  officer repeated

Husband looks at his index finger...and said this is my forefinger.

FOUR FINGERS  louder and with more emphasis on the plural.

Brits behind us.... you could hear the tittering and giggles, even me.

Why?  See this video! You only need to watch the FIRST minute, not the whole routine. We have never ever forgotten it and when explained to the man, he laughed, too, and said he would now say to Brits to put all four fingers on the screen!

devil  Silene (apologies if I have told this before... I still laugh)

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,422

I see Rendo's Poser is now available and updated... 

sigh

too bad Daz3d don't update Carrara broken heart

Carrara 9 would be great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime those who have Poser 11 there are also a bunch of goodies that go with the update. Very nice bonus, will finish installing this weekend.

• Windoze 10 is a laggy piece of craptoid

and Mimic mcx not loading in Carrara may need to grab my extensions off my other machine

the plugins all seem to load one by one each opening for their serials

• Just got my new computer, W10 and so far it's great, albeit seemingly rather strange. First time you turn it on, it TALKS to you! And like yeah right, what would the neighbour's say ... hehehe ... who cares. Anyhow, was about to try installing my Carrara 8 when I noticed that the updated Carrara 8.5 PRO was on sale :-) That with a coupon, well who needs to eat.

Carrara Pro [64 bit] is/was cheaper than the Standard [32 bit] but it also comes with the Standard edition. [in case anybody needs to know that]

W10's fancy E browser is wonderful for fast downloading of files but won't show the forums. So for forums I went back to Firefox ... and zee system, well it's gone from talking to me to popping up reminders that one should be using their browser ... funsville.

First test render just to see if Carrara will run on my system, and yes! Over the winter I hope to do some much better renders with this machine. Nice "gaming laptop" with no games on it except Solitaire or something like that.

having fun.jpg
    936 x 804 - 39K
  • The talking was thankfully disabled by the people who built the computer for me, I have been spared it, I only used Edge when clicking help and it wanted to be my default browser but Chrome was installed and I am used to that so declined.

Synced all my bookmarks and saved passwords to it too.

Much is still anoyingly confusing though.

I am still trying to network with my other PC, initially I could share documents but somehow fiddling with workgroups etc to try and do more went backwards and now cannot share anything needing passwords and usernames that are wrong no matter what I try and set on either machine.

W10's fancy E browser is wonderful for fast downloading of files but won't show the forums. So for forums I went back to Firefox ..

awesome  yes

for Windows 10 users the MS Edge browser doesn't show the front page of the forum

however

they are changing their browser to the chromium engine and you can download the beta Edge browser which works fine.. I use it all the time.. as a matter of fact I'm using it now  laugh

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,270
    edited September 2019

W10's fancy E browser is wonderful for fast downloading of files but won't show the forums. So for forums I went back to Firefox ..

awesome  yes

for Windows 10 users the MS Edge browser doesn't show the front page of the forum

however

they are changing their browser to the chromium engine and you can download the beta Edge browser which works fine.. I use it all the time.. as a matter of fact I'm using it now  laugh

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/

Thanks, I'll try that. ... said she before reading the warnings! ... think I'll wait 'til it's out of beta ;-)

The talking was thankfully disabled by the people who built the computer for me, I have been spared it, I only used Edge when clicking help and it wanted to be my default browser but Chrome was installed and I am used to that so declined.

Synced all my bookmarks and saved passwords to it too.

Much is still anoyingly confusing though.

I am still trying to network with my other PC, initially I could share documents but somehow fiddling with workgroups etc to try and do more went backwards and now cannot share anything needing passwords and usernames that are wrong no matter what I try and set on either machine.

It offered every chance it could, but I said no ... don't want it confusing my phone and/or any other gadget within miles of this place lol ...

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Cannot upload an image to this forum from my ipad anymore by looks

just gets stuck, never uploads

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,422

Cannot upload an image to this forum from my ipad anymore by looks

Hello Wendy, images uploading okay at the moment from my computer

• Cannot upload an image to this forum from my ipad anymore by looks

Hello Wendy, images uploading okay at the moment from my computer

I may need to use the computer too

I think it's just iPad

• Are the Landscape Wizards supposed to work?

Yes but if DIM installs the wrong order before Carrara is you may need to reinstall the content 

Yes but if DIM installs the wrong order before Carrara is you may need to reinstall the content 

... and if one was manually installing that content, where should one have put it?

... and if one was manually installing that content, where should one have put it?

It likes it the same path as the program, otherwise you need to manually add everything in Carrara, I am actually unsure because I did manually add everything on my older machine and I went entirely with DAZ default paths on this one.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,270
    edited September 2019

Are the Landscape Wizards supposed to work?

It likes it the same path as the program, otherwise you need to manually add everything in Carrara, I am actually unsure because I did manually add everything on my older machine and I went entirely with DAZ default paths on this one.

Okay, thanks.

Edit to update: YES! The wizards are now working, thank you very much.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Okay, thanks.

Edit to update: YES! The wizards are now working, thank you very much.

yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133

One more week or so of interruptions, then I should have a good stretch of time for my 3D hobby.  I have rented a room in Maine for the month of October.  It is their off season, so pretty cheap.  Hope to go through all the 3D tutorials I have been acquiring.  

Also supposed to do some academic writing, but let’s pretend that doesn’t exist.

• @Catherine3678ab here is an overview of all of the terrains in the Wizard in 360 I rendered for fun

(watch on YouTube to pan around)

@Catherine3678ab here is an overview of all of the terrains in the Wizard in 360 I rendered for fun

(watch on YouTube to pan around)

Very nice.

• I have so many scenes to fix its overwhelming

new computer

can save car files with textures

but

so many use Octane shaders now broken on my old PC all come out red

will work new PC but map paths not there so rather hard to fix

• mmmmmmm

Octane render not fast on this PC

Carrara render is faster ......

well even faster other PC where I cannot use Octane .....

This discussion has been closed.