is everyone rendering individual frames? etc

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited March 2016 in Carrara Discussion

is there something wrong with the render to avi in 8.5?
when you import all your individual frames, what file format do you save it to?

ise guessing, for 32-bit apps, should keep file under 2gigs?
the sony vegas version i bought is 32-bit >.<
didnt want to spend much cuz i really wanted the finalcut pro, hopefully this year lol

avi doesnt hold alpha maps?
why is it wrong to use the carrara sound tracks?

thanks.smiley  dunno what direction to go next, 
haz to get up for work in 10  hours.  mebbe a couple hours of blink practice.

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

attached the 19 second soundtrack i made for flight test.  iffn anyone wants to use it.

forum wont let me attach mp3, added .zip to let me attach, but it's not really zipped.

zip
    zip
    aircraft-mistymix.mp3.zip
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Saving to AVI is fine,, (or any other movie format)  and if you're just rendering out a quick look see, video compression doesn;t really matter.

but when you're rendering our a final proiduction render, or passes,. where you'll take that into an image/video editor / compositor to add effects or other footage,. then it makes sense  to render out a sequence of uncompressed high quality images to work with.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    It probably has more to do with your AVI codec.

using the uncompressed avi in carrara, uncompressed no codec options?
    and using the mpegstreamer to convert to mp4 to be able to post clips on stash.
    theres 2 mp4 options, apple mp4 or HD46 i think it was.  and a quality compression slider. 

gonna to have to bring final draft into editting before i can make a dvd.  trying for the ironman movie look with the black bars top and bottom.

studying the specs for using vegas and dvd architect.  dvd blueray maker another s/w to buy and learn.
    Frame rate of 29.97?  lol

Compliant AC-3 audio:

• Must be stereo or surround 5.1
    • Data rate must be in the range of 64 kbps to 448 kbps inclusive
    • Must be 48 khz 

---------------------------- 

Compliant PCM audio:

• Must be 16 bit, 48 kHz, stereo uncompressed .wav file

Compliant NTSC MPEG video:

• 720x480
    • Display aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9
    • Frame rate 29.97... fps
    • File cannot have low delay set
    • 36 or less fields in every GOP (group of pictures)
    • data rate less than 9.8 Mbps

Compliant PAL MPEG video:

• 720x576
    • Display aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9
    • Frame rate 25 fps
    • File cannot have low delay set
    • 30 or less fields in every GOP (group of pictures)
    • data rate less than 9.8 Mbps 

* Please note that elementary MPEG streams are not supported as a source format and will not load. Even if you plan on replacing the audio with PCM or AC-3, you will need to import muxed MPEG files. 

Also, the project format has to match the source type (the audio and video project format are set in the Optimize DVD dialog.) For instance, if you bring a 4:3 MPEG-2 file into a 16:9 DVDA project, this file will be re-encoded because the source and project formats do not match.

Here is a table describing all the templates Sony Media Software has created for you in the render dialog for the professional MPEG plugin:

Template name  Audio settings  Video settings  Suggested use

SVCD NTSC 

224 kbps, 44,100Hz, Layer 2

29.97 fps, 480x480

Creating an NTSC SVCDcompliant MPEG-2 file.

SVCD PAL 

224 kbps, 44,100Hz, Layer 2

25 fps, 480x576

Creating a PAL SVCDcompliant MPEG-2 file.

DVD NTSC 

224 kbps, 48,000Hz, Layer 2

29.97 fps, 720x480

Creating an MPEG-2 file with an NTSC DVD-compliant video stream and an MPEG layer 2 audio stream.

DVD PAL 

25 fps, 720x576

Creating a PAL DVD-compliant MPEG-2 file.

DVD NTSC video stream *

29.97 fps, 720x480

Creating an NTSC DVDcompliant MPEG-2 video elementary stream file with extension .m2v. Consult your DVD-authoring software to determine supported audio formats. *

DVD PAL separate streams *

25 fps, 720x576

Creating separate PAL DVDcompliant video and audio elementary files with extensions .m2v and .mpa, respectively. *

DVD Architect NTSC video stream

None 

29.97 fps, 720x480

Creating an NTSC DVDcompliant, video-only MPEG-2 video file for use in DVD Architect.

DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video  stream

None 

29.97 fps, 720x480

Creating a widescreen NTSC DVD-compliant, video-only MPEG-2 file for use in DVD Architect.

DVD Architect 24p NTSC video stream

None 

23.976 fps, 720x480

Creating a 24 fps, progressivescan, DVD-compliant, videoonly MPEG-2 file for use in DVD Architect.

DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream

None 

23.976 fps, 720x480

Creating a widescreen 24 fps, progressive-scan, DVDcompliant, video-only MPEG-2 file for use in DVD Architect.

DVD Architect PAL video stream

None 

25 fps, 720x576

Creating a PAL DVD-compliant, video-only MPEG-2 video file for use in DVD Architect.

DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream

None 

25 fps, 720x576

Creating a widescreen PAL DVD-compliant, video-only MPEG-2 video file for use in DVD Architect.

HD 720-24p 

23.976 fps, 1080x720

Creating a 24 fps, progressivescan, high-definition MPEG-2 video file.

HD 720-30p 

29.97 fps, 1080x720

Creating a 30 fps, progressivescan, high-definition MPEG-2 video file.

HD 720-60p 

54.94 fps, 1080x720

Creating a 60 fps, progressivescan, high-definition MPEG-2 video file.

HD 1080-24p

23.976 fps, 1920x1080

Creating a 24 fps, progressivescan, high-definition MPEG-2 video file.

HD 1080-30p

29.97 fps, 1920x1080

HD 1080-60p

54.94 fps, 1920x1080

So if you are using uncompressed, what is buggy???? You never said what was happening. Information is important.

That looks like a list of presets and not CODECs.

I don't use AVI, so I don't know what AVI CODECs support Alphas. For Quicktime, there are a couple, but I prefer the Animation CODEC.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087

None AFAIK

know quicktime can

Whoot!

Where's Garstor? Apple in yer face Garsman!

LOL!

theres no way to render with top and bottom black bars in the render?

• kakmankakman Posts: 225

MistyMist,

Carrara rendered AVI does NOT include alpha information and, in my experience, it is NOT buggy.

Carrara is NOT geared to doing anything but very simple audio functions.

I render using Sequenced PNG.

I am not quite sure what you are asking, if anything, regarding the Vegas/DVD Architect specs.

I have been using Sony Vegas Pro and DVD Architect for 10 years now.  I use the 64-bit versions of both.  Unless you want to create really “fancy” menus for your disc – you do NOT need anything but Vegas Pro and DVD Architect.

I have made many DVD’s, and for the last few years Blu-Ray discs, of my various travels, using Sony Vegas Pro and DVD Architect and they all work flawlessly.

I incorporate still photo’s and short videos shot with my Canon camera, and renders from Carrara, Bluff Titler, and various other programs and everything comes out great.

I place ALL of my audio files in Sony Vegas Pro, using several tracks.

Do you want to use NTSC or PAL?  If you are in North America you will want to use NTSC.

I am in North America and I render everything out in Sony Vegas Pro in HD 1920x1080.  I use various customized Main Concept MPEG-2 templates, Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i.

Does any of this help you?

Do you have any other SPECIFIC questions?

stymied by 29.97 frame rate

does that mean the 30th frame is missing .3 of it's pixels?

or first and 30th missing 1.5 of it's pixels?

or a second is not a full second, what is the .3 buffer in the space time continuum?  
    tardis time

second is an arbitary time so just means it takes ever so slightly longer than a second to show 30 frames

actaul framerate does not matter if uploading as whatever you upload to converts it anyway if Vimeo or youtube

your video authoring software converts it to whatever you are using it for too ie DVD MP4 etc holding or skipping frames as needed

I use 24 myself as saves me rendering 6 frames a second!

edited March 2016

like yesterday is a leap year

it will add or skip a frame when it gets to point it makes a difference

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    kakman said:

MistyMist,

Carrara rendered AVI does NOT include alpha information and, in my experience, it is NOT buggy.

Carrara is NOT geared to doing anything but very simple audio functions.

I render using Sequenced PNG.

I am not quite sure what you are asking, if anything, regarding the Vegas/DVD Architect specs.

I have been using Sony Vegas Pro and DVD Architect for 10 years now.  I use the 64-bit versions of both.  Unless you want to create really “fancy” menus for your disc – you do NOT need anything but Vegas Pro and DVD Architect.

I have made many DVD’s, and for the last few years Blu-Ray discs, of my various travels, using Sony Vegas Pro and DVD Architect and they all work flawlessly.

I incorporate still photo’s and short videos shot with my Canon camera, and renders from Carrara, Bluff Titler, and various other programs and everything comes out great.

I place ALL of my audio files in Sony Vegas Pro, using several tracks.

Do you want to use NTSC or PAL?  If you are in North America you will want to use NTSC.

I am in North America and I render everything out in Sony Vegas Pro in HD 1920x1080.  I use various customized Main Concept MPEG-2 templates, Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i.

Does any of this help you?

Do you have any other SPECIFIC questions?

thanks. 

wondering why everyone is using images instead of avi clips.  but i've just started. havent tried editing the clips yet.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225

One reason to use a Sequenced render is that if you have a "video" that is several seconds long and you discover you need or want to alter some portion of that - with a sequenced render you ONLY have to render the portion you changed instead of the ENTIRE render.  At 30 frames per second, only having to render the changed portion can save a ton of render time.

edited March 2016
    MistyMist said:

theres no way to render with top and bottom black bars in the render?

The effect you are talking about is called a Letterbox. It was done originally to show the entire frame of a widescreen film on a standard aspect TV screen. The most common widescreen (and letterbox) is 16:9.

You can render in whatever aspect you wish. Adding black bars to simulate letterboxing is traditionally done in a video editor.

For my editor, if I am using a standard aspect, and bring in a 16:9 render, it fits the video to the frame, which automatically generates the letterbox. Additionally, I have a filter just for that purpose which can be keyframed so that I can start with no letterbox, and then gradually have it appear.

Post edited by evilproducer on

The other reason to render to an image sequence is that if your computer crashes, you have a power failure, or the Keebler Elves are up to no good, you don't lose everything that is rendered. You can pick it up from where the failure occurred.

For the Wiindows side of the Carraraverse, you have discovered that AVI does not support alphas. When rendering to an image sequence, you can choose a format that supports alphas, then compile them in your editor or use Quicktime Pro maybe, and you should have a video with an alpha channel.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Carrara doen't render in .AVI with alpha but in AE, you can convert your image seq. in uncompressed avi with alpha.

Personally, I use the Targa format for my renders with alpha channel, and .bmp for others.

thanks for all the feedback smiley

• I always render in following format: PNG sequence 1280x550.

PNG's have a smallest size, can have alpha embeded and they have lossless compresion. Bit depth is fine too for Carrara's output smiley

do you scoop em all in at once into the video edit s/w?

• aspinaspin Posts: 219

In Sony Vegas you just select the first picture to open and check "open sequence", that's all to do.

In Hitfilm there is a menu "import image sequence". In most editors it is very easy and fast.

thinkin of the old kung fu theater, out of sync dialog  lol smiley

• Misty, take it from a former Hollywood professional... One thing that seems to be universal across damn near every animation software package under the sun is that it's just best to always render out frames and then put your sequences together in a decent video editing program. IMO, don't even bother rendering to a video format except for quick and dirty previews.

aspin said:

In Sony Vegas you just select the first picture to open and check "open sequence", that's all to do.

In Hitfilm there is a menu "import image sequence". In most editors it is very easy and fast.

Misty, there is probably an option under Import (or similar) for bringing in an image sequence in most video editors. QT Pro has a menu command just for opening image sequences called, Open Image Sequence. ;-)

From there, the software may ask you the frame rate, and maybe other stuff.

If the audio clip you used in Carrara is the same length as the one used in the video editor, then the lipsync should be fine- unless the lipsync was screwed up in Carrara.

doing a sort of benchmark render with my new 3.2 GHz Intel i5-4460 Processor, 12GB DDR3 -> to sequence png smiley

using the Secret Lake Summer. so far is estimating 39 minutes a frame. faked gi.  
    i checked on light through transparency cuz of the lake plane.  production frame 960x400

started it last night.  dunno if it will keep rendering or will the pc falls asleep. the hdd drive will spin down, but cpu shouldn't fall asleep. 

anyone with an i7 and the secret lake feel like rendering the lake and find how long it takes to render a frame?laugh

dunno, if it worth it to upgrade to i7 cpu if my motherboard compatible.  or could render with a lot less trees lol.

rendering 1800 frames  grouped everything cept camera, light, and dome, (changed rotation to angle)  rotating group 360, keyframed at frame 1800.  keyframed the realistic sky, 1am - 11am. a few trials, realized i had to click the calculate sun button >.<

can't find the height of the realistic sky.  the other sky gives the height, in a small world, sky height is a 100 inches.
    the sky presets look like their thumbails in a small world, in a medium world, don't see the clouds so much.

really wanted to render at 1920x803, 2:39 ratio for the panavision look.  add dragon3 for a flyover the terrain. tee hee and an airship chasing him.

I cheat and use a lot less lights on the lightdome but brighter, and kill the translucency and SSS on the leaves

By a lot less I mean a lot Less, like 4-12

4-12 trees?

fool said:

I cheat and use a lot less lights on the lightdome but brighter, and kill the translucency and SSS on the leaves

I was going to say that about the translucency and SSS in the leaves as well. Could also hide or delete replicators that aren't in view or going to be in view.

render is making cores hit the ceiling,but ram use is only 2 point something.  12gb ram, most of it going to waste >.<

found where to import the pngs in sony vegas.  trying to stretch the timeline so i can see the full thumbnails in the time line.

rendering does not keep the compy awake.  need the hdd awake so the pngs can write - is a theroy.  turned off the powersave this monring, will see how many frames it in ... 3 hours.