Carrara Vs connect best practices

I so far have only experimented with connect using Genesis 3 content so no conflicts.

but in future should I use it on otherwise Carrara compatible items I need to know some facts.

First nothing connect will work in Carrara, have already confirmed this with the Medieval Storage

if there is also a DIM option can retrospectively downloading that solve the issue?

(I realize none for that product but say others accidently downloaded through connect)

Does using DS4.9 place my Carrara compatibility at risk? Will it load stuff as connect wiping out existing duf files or just add a connect version too?

can connect products be saved in a Carrara compatible format and what is the best option for this? Scene subset does not work already confirmed that with the Medieval storage but maybe support asset prop figure, will test still, or does it need an obj export reimport or maybe pp2 converter again will look into this as time permits and post findings here.

Am starting this thread as a reference for all Carrara users to post their findings.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    fool said:
    if there is also a DIM option can retrospectively downloading that solve the issue?

Yes. DS will use the Connect version unless you uninstall it, but Carrara will continue to use the DS4.8 tables which aren't affected by Connect and are by DIM.  However, while the content data for 4.8 & 4.9 is kept separate, the list of categories is common to both, so if you delete a category in DS4.9 it will be deleted in 4.8/Carrara as well.

fool said:
    Does using DS4.9 place my Carrara compatibility at risk? Will it load stuff as connect wiping out existing duf files or just add a connect version too?

No, it adds a Connect version but doesn't remove any DIM or manually-installed version.  I believe they're adding an option to do so, but it will be an option.

fool said:

can connect products be saved in a Carrara compatible format and what is the best option for this? Scene subset does not work already confirmed that with the Medieval storage but maybe support asset prop figure, will test still, or does it need an obj export reimport or maybe pp2 converter again will look into this as time permits and post findings here.

I think saving as support asset will work; I know .fbx or .obj will work.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087

OK tested the medieval storage room only as support asset prop

it works but the UV mapping is stuffed

obj may be the better option

pp2 exporter created a right mess of obj files and something huge I could not view in Carrara

edited January 2016

likewise the UV mapping was broken on the Dragonqueen armour so that does bode well for those buying the Troubadour outfit unless they fix the UV mapping exporting an obj of the original as a new UV maybe

update it loads OK in studio

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 267K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Yes. DS will use the Connect version unless you uninstall it, but Carrara will continue to use the DS4.8 tables which aren't affected by Connect and are by DIM.  However, while the content data for 4.8 & 4.9 is kept separate, the list of categories is common to both, so if you delete a category in DS4.9 it will be deleted in 4.8/Carrara as well.

Does this mean that one would have to keep 4.8 forever to be able to send Daz content to Blender, for instance?  

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    Roygee said:

Does this mean that one would have to keep 4.8 forever to be able to send Daz content to Blender, for instance?  

No, export works the same way, and any product which is available in DIM or manual download is unencrypted in Connect.  That statement was only about the CMS database, not the actual content files.

edited January 2016

export works fine on the Dragonqueen armour too as FBX to iClone 3Dxchange, never imported into Carrara not mashed so nothing new there

an FBX export in iClone 5

carrara FBX import would make a right mess of that though from DAZ

but the iClone import would work as prob a Blender reimport so you need to go to a third party app first that Carrara imports FBX from

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

This is the Troubador as an obj. UVs are fine. Haven't tried saving it as a support asset yet.

Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 10.50.26.png
    1045 x 841 - 281K
  • LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    fool said:

export works fine on the Dragonqueen armour too as FBX to iClone 3Dxchange, never imported into Carrara not mashed so nothing new there

but the iClone import would work as prob a Blender reimport so you need to go to a third party app first that Carrara imports FBX from

Howdy,  would you mind elaboratign a little on what you did?  I don't have or use iClone, but based on what you wrote, did you export the DragonQueen Armour to iClone via FBX or some sort of "bridge," and the posted render is iClone and not Carrara?  Thanks!

Rich S.

that is an iClone render

it was in reply to the export to Blender comment, I do not use Blender so showed an iClone example

I could re-export that to Carrara though have quite often to use Octane render and it would have all the animation shown

my point is going directly from DAZ studio I have had no success with FBX it mangles it but to third party programs like iClone I have better luck

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

its the FBX Import I believe, I have been having issues with some other FBX files, that run fine into Blender, DS and autodesk viewer/converter but blow up on Carrara.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    fool said:

that's digusting Wendy, I won't be able to sleep tonight ;)

the carrara import my daynamic hair decided to error out after the sim so I only could see the guides

which I then enabled for octane with a freaky result

often when such errors have occured I lose everything so at least I got this

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

tentacoos hair yesheart

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008

One of this months PC freebies is connect only.... no good for Carrara.... so I cancelled my PC

again!

• Yes, I am also seriouslty considering cancelling my PC membership once I've finished stocking up on V4 and Genesis 2 items

Not even bothering with Genesis 3 as it won't work in Carrara - DAZ Connect just compounds the problem.

Renderosity may get my membeship for content if DAZ continues to isolate Carrara users.

Yep, I've already spent more at Rendo and Hivewire than here at Daz this year... Gees may even buy more stuff from CP.. yes

Stezza said:

One of this months PC freebies is connect only.... no good for Carrara.... so I cancelled my PC

Seems only to be the toll booth (which I removed from my shopping cart - thanks for the HU), which is a Daz Original, but not PC+

• I did grab it as free but mostly so I can see what hoops I have to jump through to get it into Carrara

FBX most likely but may try a few other options and post the result

that was the purpose of this thread after all, if DAZ deals us lemons, we use the free juicer provided called DAZ studio and make lemonade cheeky

• mind you DAZ could just release a .car file for us    ...... and Bryce format too, that would be the decent thing to do.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

OBJ,    that's what we need. (with mtl of course)

The barriers are facing the wrong way anyhow! wink

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

The barriers are facing the wrong way anyhow! wink

You get your passenger to pay.   laugh

• OK fbx is missing the boom gates in Carrara

they appear in iClone 3DX5 so not an FBX issue

missing boom gates.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 313K
    Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 340K
    edited February 2016

loading the cr2 worked

it's not encrypted!!!!!

connect only but Poser files as well as duf

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 280K
  • ok they are making this one DIM and manual too apparently .............  ok  ..............next product.........................if free or utterly awesome I have to put misgivings aside and buy

• Um why do I get ghost notifications from killed posts?

do I need to conduct a  seance to  reach the dead spirits on the otherside?

we're not dead, we are just lying down with our eyes closed

• head wax said:

we're not dead, we are just lying down with our eyes closed

Do you need mouth to mouth?

edited February 2016

ha ha, I thought that read 'moth to moth' . I think it is illegal here in Australia since the chance of spreading dazworm has increased twofold.

I need to send you something on FB when I get a chance .

Post edited by Headwax on

I got lemon juice in me eye!... ouch crying