Daz Encrypted Content

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

thanks Roy, it will stop people pirating the stuff because by the time they have downloaded it they could have modelled rigged and textured it themselves..... ;)

Too bleeding true...:)

Yes, you will need 4.9 - I only got 4.9 because they stuffed up the bridge to Hexagon with the last 4.8 something!

Good going Roygee. Is MCJ's plugin part of studio or where do I get it? I suppose that your 2 example was Carrara. Are the times still the same for each program?

You can get MCJ's plugin at https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjteleblender2  There is also a Carrara-to-Blender script, but it isn't as well developed and automatic as the one for Studio.  I don't think he has bothered to update it, so probably won't work with the latest Blender.

There is also a very long thread about the plugin under the freestuff heading somewhere - for some reason I don't get advices of new postings anymore and it is too difficult to find without a search:)

Don't quite understand the second part of your question regarding times?

Cheers

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

thanks Roy, I couldnt even figure out how to d/l the last studio, maybe I am too DIM :0

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Roygee said:
    Don't quite understand the second part of your question regarding times?

Was wondering if the render times for DS, Carrara and Blender remain the same as you listed them earlier. "Daz Studio, iRay on CPU - 15.5 minutes, Blender Cycles on CPU - 28 seconds, Carrara internal - 2 seconds".

Grabbed MJC's stuff... thanks

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Well yes - in every test I've done, iRay is always by far the slowest, Blender second and Carrara fastest.  But then, the other two are unbiased, so one would expect slower render times, which are worth it for the increase in ease of setting up (I'm talking Blender here - haven't even tried to learn how to set up iRay) and quality.

edited February 2016

iRay is extremly slow on my computer which is not the best. 2 hours for a large file size... not even fast on a spot render... I finally got discusted enough to set up a few differerent render presets for fairly small file sizes with a few settings turned off or down to do test renders... even they take way too long. Have Blender but not taken the plunge to learn it yet.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2016

I kicked off an Iray render when I went to bed last night. This morning, it's reached 11% (after 7 hours, 1300x1000, i5 cpu-only). Admittedly it's pretty extreme, with some parts blasted by spotlights and others in deep, inky shadow. Fortunately I'm out all day today, so I can leave it going and see how far it gets. Then if I'm really daft(!) I might set up the same scene in Carrara for comparison.

Edit: 19 hours and still at 11% ???

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
    edited February 2016

I kicked off an Iray render when I went to bed last night. This morning, it's reached 11% (after 7 hours, 1300x1000, i5 cpu-only). Admittedly it's pretty extreme, with some parts blasted by spotlights and others in deep, inky shadow. Fortunately I'm out all day today, so I can leave it going and see how far it gets. Then if I'm really daft(!) I might set up the same scene in Carrara for comparison.

Edit: 19 hours and still at 11% ???

I hope it's not still rendering... if so cancel it, shut down Studio, reboot the computer and try it again... sounds like it could be either graphic card memory or/and computer computer memory. Check out this thread...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/70549/best-hardware-to-run-iray/p1

It's not very long but has some nice tips/info on hardware requirements, graphic card tips as well as settings. Just reading it helped me.

Yes I abandoned it. I only left it running that long cos I was out of the house. BTW, the same scene in Carrara rendered in 10 minutes!

As regards hardware, I'm on a Mac, so CPU-only (I5 3.2GHZ). 24GB of system RAM. No options (or money) to change that. I could max out the RAM to 32GB, but Activity Monitor shows I'm not using all the current 24, so I don't think it'd make a difference.

under stage.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    under stage-ca3.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 812K
  • Yeah iray needs a decent Nvidia GPU or its slow as crap

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145
    fool said:

Yeah iray needs a decent Nvidia GPU or its slow as crap

...to use the technical term!

Yes I abandoned it. I only left it running that long cos I was out of the house. BTW, the same scene in Carrara rendered in 10 minutes!

As regards hardware, I'm on a Mac, so CPU-only (I5 3.2GHZ). 24GB of system RAM. No options (or money) to change that. I could max out the RAM to 32GB, but Activity Monitor shows I'm not using all the current 24, so I don't think it'd make a difference.

Aha.... 10 minutes in Carrara and quite the better render IMO. To me the Iray pic seems to have unwanted problem areas.

Wish I had a Mac instead of Windoze. Of course I have my Amiga computers. From what I gathered in a different tread is that you should have 2 graphic cards one for rendering to and the one for system graphic display. It went into more detail as to why. I don't know what computer brand was being used. I'll keep you in mind in case I run accross it again.

edited February 2016

Don't forget, the Iray render only reached 11% convergence, so there are still lots of speckles (there's a UV issue on the edges of the trapdoor, which is fixed in the CA render (one reason why I like to do large test renders - things like that might not notice on a small image) Given another week rendering, it would probably look none too shabby!

Not quite figured out how to make the CA bulb look brighter - Carrara's lights always seem to look way too dim for the amount of light they put out!

I think I've still got an Amiga 1200 up in the attic . . . But this is getting way off the topic of encrypted (spit!) content!

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135

OK, I am suspending installing encryption-only content, even if free.  I just tried to install the free canoe props that are encryption only. Even within Studio, the download time to install the encrypted props to the smart content pane took longer than it would take to model a canoe in Carrara.  That doesn't include the time spent on a workflow to get the canoes into Carrara..  I guess I could still "buy" the encryption-only freebies and not install them until they ever improve the installation time.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited February 2016

Don't forget, the Iray render only reached 11% convergence, so there are still lots of speckles (there's a UV issue on the edges of the trapdoor, which is fixed in the CA render (one reason why I like to do large test renders - things like that might not notice on a small image) Given another week rendering, it would probably look none too shabby!  

Not quite figured out how to make the CA bulb look brighter - Carrara's lights always seem to look way too dim for the amount of light they put out!

I think I've still got an Amiga 1200 up in the attic . . . But this is getting way off the topic of encrypted (spit!) content!

I did not think Carrara bulbs just like Studio point lights did anything but emit light, I always added a glow channel to the effects and the model and that could be as bright as you chose enlightened

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I've just discovered something buried under the Effects tab (and it only seems to be available for bulbs and spots - not shape lights, which is a shame) called "Show Light Sphere". That seems to make it a lot brighter, plus there are level, realism and quality values to play around with. Here's a test render with both light sphere and light cone applied.

test3.jpg
    800 x 500 - 235K

In Carrara, you can't actually see light sources by default, you need to add either the light sphere or a lens flare, or model an object and give it some emission property. And the intendity of that will be unrelated to the amount of light actually put out by the light!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi Tim :)

The Light Sphere is an "effect",. which mean that it's actually a 2D post rendered effect.

it also only applies if the light source is visible to the camera.

it's still a nice useful thing

Carrara applying it "post render" probably does a better job than me trying to do it in Photoshop!

And it's still *way* quicker than Iray!! (12% after 14 hours, on my current render . . .)

edited February 2016
    EddyMI3D said:

EddyMI3D said:

Good news for Carrara users!

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited February 2016
    PhilW said:

Good news? How is this good news... I'm curious. Only if you want to wait the year for them to become un-encrypted. I've currently 3 freebies which will have to wait another 11 months before I even download them from DAZ. Sounds like a long time to wait for a freebie... no way will I pay for any encrypted content and wait that long. Can't see that my opinion will ever change. I've been looking at and ignoring other freebies... they are not worth the work it would take to cross them over to Carrara now. I can create a lot of things with Carrara in that amount of time.

You all can find my somewhat negative comments halfway down on page 8 of that thread. I'll not repeat them here.

Carrara applying it "post render" probably does a better job than me trying to do it in Photoshop!

And it's still *way* quicker than Iray!! (12% after 14 hours, on my current render . . .)

Sounds like you need an additional computer just for the Iray renders. Set up scenes in one... render on the other one.

The only Amiga computer I do not have is a 600... have 1000-Amiga One.

edited February 2016
    PhilW said:
    EddyMI3D said:

EddyMI3D said:

bit silly to announce that so soon before they have tested the waters on who will 'buy' a free product that is encrypted, versus who will not accept a free product that is encrypted.

Ostrich like behaviour that is becoming familiar...... considering how many 1984's there are here.

Post edited by Headwax on
    wgdjohn said:
    Sounds like you need an additional computer just for the Iray renders. Set up scenes in one... render on the other one.

The only Amiga computer I do not have is a 600... have 1000-Amiga One.

Indeed, and I'm saving to that end (although I'll probably still wind up getting it on tick). Once the financial year is up . . .

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008
    edited February 2016
    diomede said:

OK, I am suspending installing encryption-only content, even if free.  I just tried to install the free canoe props that are encryption only. Even within Studio, the download time to install the encrypted props to the smart content pane took longer than it would take to model a canoe in Carrara.  That doesn't include the time spent on a workflow to get the canoes into Carrara..  I guess I could still "buy" the encryption-only freebies and not install them until they ever improve the installation time.

same here... so I did model one... set up a scene and rendered it.....sort of yes

Canoe.jpg
    900 x 563 - 457K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    diomede said:

same here... so I did model one... set up a scene and rendered it.....sort of yes

head wax said:
    PhilW said:
    EddyMI3D said:

EddyMI3D said:

bit silly to announce that so soon before they have tested the waters on who will 'buy' a free product that is encrypted, versus who will not accept a free product that is encrypted.

Ostrich like behaviour that is becoming familiar...... considering how many 1984's there are here.

I wish my brother George was here cool

edited February 2016

D!

image.jpg
    332 x 443 - 42K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • actually you only need a 980ti that holds 6GB of video RAM like me and a fairly ordinary computer, iray uses the GPU alone if it fits so your second computer need not be very fancy at all

Stezza,  You may have mentioned somewhere, perhaps in a different thread, that when you first started DS 4.9 that it took and hour before you could download the encrypted flying carpet freebie. I found out one reason for the cause of this from a help request, see below...
    "Logging in to Daz Studio will install any updated metadata for products you own"

A lot of metadata has been updated recently also which may be another factor. I suspect upon the first start that DS 4.9 may have been doing other things also like creating the cloud folder and who knows what else. I'm using DS 4.9 Beta and working offline since I've no interest in any encrypted files.

Please pardon me if it was'nt you who mentioned this long wait before you could start using DS 4.9 or already got an answer.

@wgdjohn, yep it was me... That explains the long wait, haven't tried it since.